Snowy and Frigid 2012/2013 Winter

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Erik

Post by Erik » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Just about every mainstream climatologist out there is predicting a very snowy and frigid winter, similar to the winters of the late 1970s.

Has anyone started to prepare yet?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-n ... ld-m/36990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Erik

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Snowy and Frigid 2012/2013 Winter

Post by Mister Dark » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:44 pm

I have almost finished fixing up my generator, got a fair bit of fuel put back. I am looking forward to some snowy weather! (In SC, a half inch is pretty major)

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Oh, good grief! As if Chicagoland isn't cold enough already. Thanks for the heads up. We've just started prepping for winter.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Hooray! I'll finally get to try the snowshoes I got last Christmas! :)

Sent via messenger owl.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:01 am

Dusty loves romping in the snow.

She just hasn't had any to go romping in, other than the one time...

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:00 am

Just got my backup heater installed.

This last winter was a killer - record levels of snow, this year may be even snowier.

Last bit of prep - planned and have a trip to Tucson locked in.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:01 am

A double post... odd that.

Oh well - found this

and might need to get me one of these...
Last edited by TacAir on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:58 am

Winters 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 had approximately month long periods of exceptional snow and ice in Northern Ireland, Great Britain and Southern Ireland. Last winter was very mild so I'm not sure how its going to be this year?
After a (brief) internet search the preliminary winter forecasts that I found all said pretty much the same as the following http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=longrange" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :
Just to re-iterate, this isn't the full winter forecast, just an indication of what the long range CFS model is currently showing for the first two winter months. Confidence is currently quite low for this period also. Our full winter forecast will be issued in November.

December
Currently the forecast model is suggesting that northern blocking (high pressure to the north of the UK) will play quite a major role during December with pressure forecast to be higher than average right across from Greenland, through into Scandinavia and east. On the ground, the current outlook is for rainfall to be below average across the northern half of the UK, but closer to or even wetter than average further south. Temperatures are forecast to be close to or colder than average.

January
Confidence really begins to tumble at this stage but at the time of writing, January is forecast to be a similar month to December with 'northern blocking' again a strong player, with a colder than average month indicated at the current time.
From this I'm guessing its going to be cool and dry here.
However my winter preps are as follows anyway:
Generator Image which has plenty of poke. We can either switch it on manually or have it set to come on automatically in the event of a power cut
About 6 gerry cans of petrol to run it (we need more)

Powdered milk, bread mixes, dried fruit etc.
6 x 4 litre bottles of water (I need to get more)
My freezer is reasonably well stocked but it could be more full of meat and vegetables and less full of ice cubes.
A few cans of ham, tuna, chicken etc but I need to buy more.
Packets of pulses, lentils, quinoa, rice and pasta.
We have a 4x4 (what you call a SUV) to get us up our lane and a tractor if things get really dire.

Basically we'd be ok for a few days but I need to increase a lot of the preps I already have. So thanks for making me think about my winter preps again :)
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Hey, guys. I've moved this thread from "Disasters in Current Events" to "Contingency Planning & Preparation." It seems like a better fit, IMO. This isn't necessarily a "disaster" (though I recognize it certainly could turn out that way), and I suppose the main reason is that since you're talking about a projected or anticipated emergency (i.e. in the future), then it is not a "current" event.

That being said, I'll watch this thread with interest, because severe winter weather is one of the most likely threats in my AO (Kentucky). I have a lot to learn about how to make better preps for when (not if) severe winter weather strikes again.

Thanks,
Kelvar
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Kelvar wrote:Hey, guys. I've moved this thread from "Disasters in Current Events" to "Contingency Planning & Preparation." It seems like a better fit, IMO. This isn't necessarily a "disaster" (though I recognize it certainly could turn out that way), and I suppose the main reason is that since you're talking about a projected or anticipated emergency (i.e. in the future), then it is not a "current" event.

That being said, I'll watch this thread with interest, because severe winter weather is one of the most likely threats in my AO (Kentucky). I have a lot to learn about how to make better preps for when (not if) severe winter weather strikes again.

Thanks,
Kelvar
Makes sense. You the man, Kelvar.

Up here in Maine we had a major snowstorm on Halloween weekend last year. So we were expecting a harsh winter. And then, pretty much nothing until the very end of February and that was more or less it. I feel like we somehow dodged a bullet and we're walking into this 2012/2013 winter season with a large bullseye tapped to our back.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Somehow I feel the same MH, the wildlife signs are there (I'll not get into that because that's for a different thread)
Last winter was really weird as it was so mild as opposed to -15C or less the year before. On Christmas Day 2010 the local river was frozen, that hadn't happened in something like 80 years.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.

GoneFishin
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead (Or as my preschooler calls it: "Walking The Dad")

Post by GoneFishin » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:01 pm

I dunno...the El Nino didn't develop the way they thought it would, in fact I think it has pretty much stalled out. I wonder if they've revised based on that? The NOAA predictions issued today were very inconclusive, at least for New England. My personal fave, Old Farmers Almanac, predicts "colder but drier than average".

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Not terribly worried about it up here. ALL of our winters are severe compared to most other places :)

That being said, I am somewhat concerned about power this year. Since moving into the house in May we've had I think 3 outages. One was just a few minutes, so really nothing to be concerned about except for the fact that it happened. One was an hour or so, so again not an issue. But one was almost 12 hours which was starting to concern me as it was only partially overnight and did impact our day since we had no power for stovetop or microwave to heat stuff up.

Of course I could have busted out the BBQ, propane stove or white gas stove if I really needed to heat anything up but opted not to as it was still at inconvenience stage when the power came back on.

I do have a 2 full 20lb propane canisters at all times, the third lives on the BBQ and gets refilled within a day or so of running out as well as two 30lb bottles available with our travel trailer (both are currently empty) So cooking and emergency heat are available if we need it. Since the trailer is back at the house I also have access to the generator but haven't refilled the gas cans recently either. I need to get on that.

We do keep a fully stocked pantry but haven't started actual food preps that are separate from our normal grocery buying just yet. We do, however, have enough food to go several weeks in the house at any given time.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:38 pm

We picked up a coleman dual fuel lantern and dual fuel stove in like new condition for a lot less than new. If the power goes out we are all set to cook on the covered porch. Don't want to run either of those inside. We have kerosene lanterns and candle lanterns for inside the house.

Still have 60 pounds of sidewalk salt left over from last winter.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Kasowaree

Post by Kasowaree » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:45 pm

I've just picked up one of this little propane "Mr Buddy" heaters yesterday and am adding a few more gallons of fuel for the genny. I'm also getting a few more chem lights and crawling under the house to fill in cracks. I'm a lot more concerned about this winter then the last few as up intill last year the house I lived in had a nice big wood burning stove in the living room and more then once it keep us from freezing during a blackout.

williaty

Post by williaty » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:40 pm

With the Mr. Buddy, make sure you screw the bottle (or hose) into its fitting TIGHT. You want it nearly as tight as you can get it. I screwed one in "well that should be good enough" tight and had a small seeping leak that eventually filled the heater body with propane. When that leaked out to the burning ceramic tile, the heater blew itself up. While no damage was done to anything other than some scorch marks on the heater, I can tell you there were some tense moments after the valve on the tank had been close waiting for all the propane already in the system to burn up.

Erik

Post by Erik » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:15 am

Thanks to the mountainous terrain 'round these parts, if it snows pretty hard, you're on your own and probably not going anywhere.

I've been thinking of getting a generator, but they're not cheap.

Erik

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:59 am

We got the generator in spring '11, but we could have done with it before then.

One prep I must look into is a washing dolly and clothes spinner. My washing machine is in a wash house outside where the central heating boiler is also kept. We replaced the old model with a more efficient condensing boiler 2 years ago. The only downside to this is that no heat escapes to prevent the wash house pipes from freezing, so in really cold weather my washing machine is out of action :|
An old twin tub, if it was still working and I could get one, would be an idea.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:20 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:An old twin tub, if it was still working and I could get one, would be an idea.
You could try:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Washing-Machi ... w=twin+tub" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or Freecycle, or the local paper, or what-have-you.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks Sheddi, or I could look through all the junk/scrap that my father-in-law has accumulated over 60 years and see if there's one already here.
But your idea seems more useful.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:49 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:We got the generator in spring '11, but we could have done with it before then.

One prep I must look into is a washing dolly and clothes spinner. My washing machine is in a wash house outside where the central heating boiler is also kept. We replaced the old model with a more efficient condensing boiler 2 years ago. The only downside to this is that no heat escapes to prevent the wash house pipes from freezing, so in really cold weather my washing machine is out of action :|
An old twin tub, if it was still working and I could get one, would be an idea.
A washing dolly - I had to look that up! So, you still do your laundry with one?

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:03 pm

Nope! :lol:
No I have a standard front loading machine, it just is no use when its water pipes are frozen solid.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:52 pm

I was going to hook the generator up and run it dry. The fuel is about six months old. Even without power there would be no worries here though. A harsh winter here is like one big snow and all other days 45 degrees plus.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Acording to NOAA's updated climate forecast (October 18th), the anticipated snowfall for Iowa will be >40% below normal. The drought continues...

Just goes to show that the professionals can't agree and that weather varies by region.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”