Brits told to stockpile food in case of hard BREXIT

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Brits told to stockpile food in case of hard BREXIT

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:03 pm

Uncertainties surrounding how BREXIT (UK exit from EU) will play out leading to some hyperventilating headlines. Not sure how much of this is fear mongering and how much is legitimate concern over how things could go awry.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nment-feed

absinthe beginner

Re: Brits told to stockpile food in case of hard BREXIT

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:12 pm

"God Help Us" - British Army Readied In Case Of Hard Brexit

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07- ... ard-brexit

Britain's Sunday Times reports that UK ministers have drawn up plans to send in the army to deliver food, medicines and fuel in the event of shortages if Britain crashes out of the EU without a deal.

Blueprints for the armed forces to assist the civilian authorities, usually used only in civil emergencies, have been dusted down as part of the "no deal" planning, with helicopters and army trucks used to ferry supplies to vulnerable people outside the southeast who were struggling to obtain the medicines they needed.

However, as ominous as this sounds, The Sunday Times admits - a number of paragraphs into their "Army on standby for no-deal Brexit emergency" story - that a source inside the Ministry of Defense said they have not yet received "a formal request" to assist the civilian authorities.

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:03 pm

To be honest it is basically selling headlines. We have been pulling this one apart at work (most of us are former military etc). Couple of points to take from this;

1) as we are taking britexit, how could the EU stop supplies once they reach the UK?
2) a lot of former military go into logistics, different uniform same skills.
3) how could limited military vehicles move stores round the UK more efficiently than civilian fleets?

Prices will go up and supply will be effected next year as a combination of britexit, bad weather over most of Europe and a probable rise in the cost of ship fuel due to new regulations coming in 2020.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Not just selling headlines also they are selling the politics of fear.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:05 am

Dominic Raab, the newly appointed minister for tinned sardines and condensed milk, suggests everything is under control.
:roll: Big Govt in action.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:44 pm

British Hoarders Stock Up on Supplies, Preparing for Brexit https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/worl ... e=Homepage
This being Britain, people are not retreating to underground bunkers, as America’s “Doomsday preppers” do, and Britons are more likely to hoard toilet paper than weaponry. But with time running out and negotiations at a delicate point, some Britons are preparing for a crisis that could upend their way of life.

“People are talking about World War II and rationing,” said Ms. Mann, a former midwife. “People have also been talking about the blackouts in the 1970s, and how power was rationed.”

“This has the potential of being a combination of the two,” she said.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:55 am

there is a lot of fear mongering especially amongst government ministers trying to get the PM's Euro deal accepted, at last count there were 200 MP's who said they would vote it down, as T.May only has a small majority that means its got no chance.
the only alternative is to leave with a "no deal", time will see what happens, the vote in parliament is due on 11th December.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:22 am

Hey, what's wrong with being "an American-style prepper"?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-07/ ... e/10592332

Brits stockpiling food and medicine ahead of Brexit over fears for supply chains

In a small owner-run supermarket in south-west London, Jo Elgarf walks down an aisle full of long-life food.

Cans of hot dogs, stew, rice pudding. Packets of lentils, cartons of milk. It is all here.

"They have a really long life on them and are easy to store," she explains, pointing out that two cans of baked beans can be purchased for less than 2 pounds and will last until the end of 2020.

"At the moment I tend to buy two for myself now and two for later on."

A mother of three, including four-year-old Nora who is severely disabled, Ms Elgarf insists she is not an American-style prepper. Her kitchen cupboards are full to overflowing, but there is no hidden food under the stairs or in the garage, and no bunker in her backyard.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Ms Elgarf has got one of the larger UK newspapers to pick up her story:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... tockpilers
Elgarf is also clear about why she is talking to me. “So come April and there’s no Epilim in the country, I’ll say: ‘Where’s that Guardian man?’ And you guys are going to be interested because this little child you saw in January now has no meds.”
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:50 pm

sheddi wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:46 pm
Ms Elgarf has got one of the larger UK newspapers to pick up her story:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... tockpilers
Elgarf is also clear about why she is talking to me. “So come April and there’s no Epilim in the country, I’ll say: ‘Where’s that Guardian man?’ And you guys are going to be interested because this little child you saw in January now has no meds.”
This article discusses one aspect of prepping that is difficult for some. That is having enough meds on hand for a serious health condition. The US and UK have different systems and different issues with med supply.

However, if you or a loved one has a serious health issue and routinely need a med you should make an effort to stockpile as much of an inventory of the med as possible, regardless of where you live.

Yes that can be difficult based upon the med but if there is anyway to lawfully work the system you should make an effort to do so. For instance if there is a 30 day limit try and get a refill consistently 1 to 5 days early. Each time you can do this you build an inventory. It may take a while but it can work.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:29 am

Probably not a bad thing that anxiety over the uncertainties of BREXIT are causing some Brits to prudently set aside some provisions just in case.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01- ... d-medicine

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:18 pm

Get your Brexit boxes here...https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/some ... -e-n966166

It hasn't been a good start to 2019 in the US and elsewhere globally, and I don't see it getting much better anytime soon. Remember that we're all connected now, so paying some attention to what is going on around the world is prudent as well. I assume we'll continue to keep kicking the can down the road a bit longer, but I must say that the road has gotten awfully rough of late...hope we don't kick it off the cliff by accident.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:59 pm

UK grocery store warns of "no Brexit deal food shortages

The above is a link to World Business Report, from the BBC. BBC Webpage

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:01 am

40% Of Brits Brace For 'No Deal' Brexit By Stockpiling Food, Medicine & Clothes

https://www.businessinsider.com/no-deal ... hes-2019-7

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:56 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:01 am
40% Of Brits Brace For 'No Deal' Brexit By Stockpiling Food, Medicine & Clothes

https://www.businessinsider.com/no-deal ... hes-2019-7
An interesting seasonal wrinkle to this equation:
The revelation that nearly half of British people are stockpiling goods like food and medicine in their own homes comes as British businesses ramp up preparations for a possible no-deal Brexit on October 31.

Business Insider reported earlier this year that there was an even greater risk of supermarket shelves going empty due to shortages in October, than there was in the run-up to the original Brexit deadline in March.

That's because most of the warehouse space that companies used to stockpile goods in the run-up to March is not available in October, as it's already booked up for the busy Christmas period when demand for goods rockets.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:03 am

So much for stiff upper lip. I wonder whatever happened to the United Kingdom that fought the Nazis to a standstill and saved the world from fascism? I guess they just faded away.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:33 pm

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:41 pm

From Auntie: Brexit: Operation Yellowhammer no-deal document published The link for the PDF auto-downloads. I haven't read it yet.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:23 am

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:01 pm

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”