Dungeons and Dragons?

Forum for the St Louis Metropolition Area chapter members.

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 001 Officers

kiafl

Dungeons and Dragons?

Post by kiafl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:29 pm

I just wanted to check in and see if any ZS members were into playing 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons .

Our current group consists of only three people (myself included), and we're all getting a bit tired of playing multiple PCs.

We play generally on weekends, whenever is convenient. It's whatever we can work our schedule around. We usually game in Arnold, but we sometimes play in South City, off Jameison. We're all in our early 30's, and we do have lives outside of the game. :lol:

Basically, we're looking for few people who are interested in casually playing D&D 4E. The Dark Sun campaign will be starting sometime after the Character Builder updates (Novemberish? :roll: ), but we are also currently running through the Scales of War Adventure Path.

If that sounds like fun or you have questions, let me know.

Midwest_Rogue

Re: Dungeons and Dragons?

Post by Midwest_Rogue » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:23 pm

I actually live sorta off of Jamieson. I haven't played D&D in years and am way out of practice ( World of Warcraft has attempted to steal my soul ) but I might be interested in playing some.
"When you start to become who you are, the first thing you learn is that there is nothing to fear."

Grendel
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dance of the Dead, Special Dead, and so many more. Some I like because they are well made and some I love because they are not well made.

Post by Grendel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:32 pm

I have been looking to get into a group as I have not played in years. I have the 4th edition books and have played for almost 30 years. That bothers me that I can write that. Anyway, I also play DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online) if anyone wants to form up a group online and raid. Weekends gets a big tricky for me as I work a lot of time on the weekends.
Some would call it fire in heaven while others would say that it was mercy in hell. All I know is it is redamndiculous and I am going to just shoot it to see what happens.

sandcrawler
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead was funny along with Zombieland. On the more serious side the Resident Evil movies work for me. The WORST zombie movie I've seen to date is Poultrygeist

Post by sandcrawler » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:11 pm

I've been playing with a group of about 6 on Monday nights out in West County but I live in the Arnold area. We may be moving the games to my house depending on how things work out. I don't have a time frame for that move or know if our games would remain on Mondays.

We've just been poking around in a few different settings. I think we've done Shadowfell keep and we just finished Pyramid of Shadows. I'm not even sure what campaign we're in now. I don't know if merging the two groups is worth the trouble but I'd be interested in making appearances here and there. I just started playing a Goliath Warden (with a twist) and it's been a lot of fun.
--
Sandcrawler
Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal;
nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
Thomas Jefferson

Grendel
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dance of the Dead, Special Dead, and so many more. Some I like because they are well made and some I love because they are not well made.

Post by Grendel » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:22 pm

I run a restaurant and if things worked out could use that as a place to meet up and play. It is the First Watch in Webster Groves and is only open from 7AM to 2:30 PM and this would leave it available for play in the evenings. This could have many advantages as I have large round tables, WiFi, a huge fracking kitchen, and and an endless fountain of soda +2 that we could use. As long as everyone didn't try to destroy the decor we could have it there. Just throwing that out there.
Some would call it fire in heaven while others would say that it was mercy in hell. All I know is it is redamndiculous and I am going to just shoot it to see what happens.

kiafl

Post by kiafl » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:17 pm

Glad to see interest in this.

Athas, the world of the Dark Sun setting, is fairly different than the standard "Points of Light" of standard 4E D&D. To that end, here's a "primer" of sorts of the world that the PC's will be in.

The Eight Truths of Athas

1. The World is a Desert. Athas is a hot and arid land, filled with endless dunes and rocky barrens. Cities and villages typically only exist at oases and sparse verdant plains. The crimson sun looms overhead, causing temperatures to reach 100 degrees before noon, and temperatures in excess of 130 degrees before nightfall.
2. The World is Savage. Blood-thirsty raiders and savages roam the wastes, and slavery is openly practiced and accepted as a part of daily life.
3. Metal is Scarce. The secret of smithing and metallurgy has been lost on Athas for centuries. Most armor and weapons are made from wood, stone, and animal by-products.
4. Arcane Magic Defiles the World. Reckless use of arcane magic long ago has transformed Athas into the wasteland it is today. Arcane practitioners are reviled and persecuted throughout Athas, but there are those who use their gifts in secret and strive to preserve –and possibly restore–the land to its former glory.
5. Sorcerer-Kings Rule the City-States. Mighty spell-casters hold dominion over the seven city-states of Athas. Some claim to be gods, some their representatives, but all of them have immense power and rule through their priests and enforcers known as templars.
6. The Gods are Silent. Long ago, the primordials overthrew the gods of old. Athas has no clerics or paladins, and all of its shrines lie in the midst of ancient ruins.
7. Fierce Monsters Roam the Wilds. The beasts of burden and wild predators of our world are not present in Athas. Lions, wolves, and bears have been replaced by id fiends, baazargs, and tembos, while settlers use crodlus and mekillots to pull wagons and ride to war.
8. Familiar Races Aren’t What You Expect. Typical fantasy stereotypes don’t apply to the world of Dark Sun. Elves are nomadic bandits and tricksters, while halflings are xenophobic, cannibalistic riverfolk.

Class Restrictions
The following restrictions are in place regarding class selection:
• No Divine characters.
• Arcane characters are not forbidden, but realize that you may (probably will) be hated and discriminated against due to your use of what most refer to as defiling magic.
• No Hybrid characters.
• No Assassins, Swordmages, or Artificers.

Race Restrictions
The following restrictions are in place regarding race selection:
• Players should select races outlined in the Players Handbooks I-III. That being said, the following are not allowed: devas, gnomes, kalashtar, wilden, githzerai, warforged, shadar-kai, or eladrin. The latter two races exist, but they are very rare to Athas.
• Muls (half-dwarfs) and thri-kreen are native to Athas and are encouraged as character selections.
• Gnolls and genasi are more prevalent as PC’s in Athas than in the standard D&D world, and therefore, these are also acceptable as PC’s.

Character Themes
You may choose one (or none) of the themes in the DS campaign setting to apply to your character.

Character Options
• You may roll a d10 and select a Wild Talent per the chart on page 81 of the Dark Sun Campaign Setting.
• Check the Inherent Bonuses box on the Manage tab in the Character builder (This is the screen on the CB that has your character’s name, alignment, etc.)

Feel free to ask me any questions about this.

Grendel
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Grendel » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:50 pm

When and if we do end up getting this group together, I plan on buying the DS Player Handbook so I get more into the setting. I had the old 2nd edition Dark Sun box set but that was more than a few years ago. What level characters are you wanting to start this campaign with?

kiafl

Post by kiafl » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:09 pm

Characters will start at level 1.

The Dark Sun Setting has two books: the Campaign Setting and the Creature Catalog. The latter is for DMs only, where the former has resources for both players and DMs. The Campaign Setting talks about the world of Dark Sun at large, provides new options for existing classes, and introduces new races: the mul and the thri-kreen.

For more information on the book, you can click here: http://amzn.to/bQusV1.

Grendel
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Grendel » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:44 pm

I will most likely pick that up today or tomorrow. I will start familiarizing myself with the campaign setting details and now we need to work out when we want to try and get together to form the group. I know Joe plays also and would most likely enjoy getting in on this. He does not get on the forums as much as he used to I think. So amped I could head-butt a pacifist. :lol:

kiafl

Post by kiafl » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:13 pm

WOTC has a Character Builder that's an awesome tool for character creation. The demo lets you build characters up to level 3 and can be found here: http://bit.ly/1NiTSD.

The full version requires a DDI subscription. It costs $10 a month or it's $6 a month if you buy the annual subscription. You get access to all the updated material as well as the online compendium that lets you search for almost anything in the printed books and Dungeon/Dragon magazines. Even if you only buy a month subscription, you have access to everything that's come out since 2008 (with the current exception of Dark Sun material :x ), and you'd have that forever. Then you could wait a few months down the road to update again, if you so desire.

/WOTCshilling

We won't start playing until after the Character Builder updates with Dark Sun materials, which should hopefully be the first or second week of November (fingers crossed). That being said, you could download the CB demo for now, to play around with character creation, since many of the classes and races currently in the CB will carry over to the Dark Sun setting.

Gauge
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gauge » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:34 am

I might be interested in playing if you guys wouldn't mind having a complete noob to D&D at the table.

sandcrawler
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead was funny along with Zombieland. On the more serious side the Resident Evil movies work for me. The WORST zombie movie I've seen to date is Poultrygeist

Post by sandcrawler » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:17 am

Another good resource for all of you techies is http://iplay4e.appspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

You can upload your Character Builder sheet and do all your tracking and die rolling from there. Character state is remembered after each change with the exception of a few things like notes which require you to click save. The DM can also setup a campaign, load all the characters from their shared sheet( after inviting them ) and track all their stats as the game progresses. The biggest problem I've had with it is that it doesn't track companions too well.

Maptools is the other tool I'd recommend if you don't enjoy using printed maps, tiles or wet/dry erase boards for the maps or if someone needs to play remote every now and then. Again, the DM can setup tokens in the tool, layout maps with Fog of War, lighting etc and track just about everything they need. It requires a bit more work before the games but makes the overall game flow much smoother. We've been using maptools for our games for about a year and a half now with an overhead projector and it works pretty well. It still helps to have minis for the extra situational awareness. Sometimes it's easy to miss the tokens on the map when they blend in too well with the map.

FWIW the game we've been having in west county in definitely moving to the Imperial area for the short term. We've got one player coming in all the way from hazelwood so we'll probably try to find a more central location once we get a better idea of what might be available.

@gauge I can't speak for the others but sometimes being a noob isn't all that bad. You don't have to worry about all the confusing rule changes from all the preceeding versions that slow the rest of us down as we argue about them ;)
--
Sandcrawler
Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal;
nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
Thomas Jefferson

Grendel
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Grendel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:09 am

@Sandcrawler: That looks great and I am going to use that on my little net book while playing. Should work out really well.

@Guage: I have not problems with new people getting into the game. As long as you bring the role playing aspect and not try to approach it like a video game, you will have a blast.

I just picked up the Dark Sun campaign setting book yesterday and am digging into it now. Trying to figure out what direction I want to go on a character. I usually lean towards the "tank" character who can charge in take a crap load of damage while dealing out as much, or a rogue who's only loyalty is to his friends (i.e. the group).

What types of characters are some of you leaning towards so that we can build a balanced group? Magic using characters will be close to nil and clerics not at all from what I've read. Martial weapons it is and a lot of stone and bone weapons at that. kiafl, you were right as this setting is different than anything I have played in D&D before. I'm getting jazzed and itching to start playing.

Readphnx
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the living Dead remake, 28 Days Latter, 28 Weeks Later, Dawn of the Dead remake.

Post by Readphnx » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:28 am

I've always wanted to get into playing D&D but never knew anyone who played. Depending on my schedule I might be interested.
Jack of many trades master of none.

kiafl

Post by kiafl » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:57 am

One item of note: we will be observing the standard weapon breakage rule. When you roll a natural one on an attack roll with a non-metal weapon, the weapon breaks. A broken non-magical weapon acts as an improvised weapon. A broken magical weapon loses all enhancements, properties, and powers until repaired. This simulates the fragility of non-metal weapons to make combat unpredictable and exciting.

Implement users (usually Arcane and Psionic characters) typically use Implements for their attacks, and are immune to the breakage rule.

For those new to the game, here are a few blurbs about the classes and roles available:

Controllers deal with large numbers of enemies at the same time. They favor offense over defense, using powers that deal damage to multiple foes at once, as well as subtler powers that weaken, confuse, or delay their foes.

Defenders have the highest defenses in the game and good close-up offense. They are the party’s front-line
combatants; wherever they’re standing, that’s where the action is. Defenders have abilities and powers that make it difficult for enemies to move past them or to ignore them in battle.

Leaders inspire, heal, and aid the other characters in an adventuring group. Leaders have good defenses, but their strength lies in powers that protect their companions and target specific foes for the party to concentrate on. Clerics and warlords (and other leaders) encourage and motivate their adventuring companions, but just because they fill the leader role doesn’t mean they’re necessarily a group’s spokesperson or commander. The party leader—if the group has one—might as easily be a charismatic warlock or an authoritative paladin.

Strikers specialize in dealing high amounts of damage to a single target at a time. They have the most concentrated offense of any character in the game. Strikers rely on superior mobility, trickery, or magic to move around tough foes and single out the enemy they want to attack.

Class Blurbs:

Class: Barbarian
Classification: Striker
Power Source: Primal
Barbarians are savage warriors, channeling primal energy through themselves and their massive weapons. Darting back and forth across the battle, your fierce shouts make the enemy quake in fear.

Class: Bard
Classification: Leader
Power Source: Arcane
Bards are artists, channeling magic through unbelievable skill with music, drama, or poetry. Your skill with blade, book, and hymn are the stuff of fables.

Class: Druid
Classification: Controller
Druids are the most effective and purist channelers of primal fury and embody all aspects of nature, from the calm of the still leaf to the fury of the thunderbolt.

Class: Shaman
Blessed with a mighty spirit companion that aids his allies, the Shaman is a primal, spiritual force. His mighty companion serves as both a focus for his attacks and as a shield to protect both him and his allies.

Class: Sorcerer
Sorcerers are natural founts of arcane power, resulting from either a history of dragon's blood or a product of mysterious, chaotic forces. Either way, you practically bristle with barely-contained magic, parcelling it out as needed in battle.

Class: Warden
Classification: Defender
Wardens are protectors of the earth, drawing on primal spirits to protect their allies from harm, and the natural world from the encroachment of those who would corrupt it.

Class: Fighter
Role: Defender
Power Source: Martial
Description: A front line defender that hits things dead while preventing an enemy from leaving the area around them, fighters are one of the best (if not the best) defender in 4th edition.

Class: Ranger
Role: Striker
Description: Effectively this is the class to go to if you like shooting things with arrows a lot or want to wield two weapons to murder things.

Class: Rogue
Description: The classic “sneaky” class, the rogue relies on getting combat advantage over his opponents and stabbing or shooting them in extremely sensitive places. They favor using light weapons over bulkier ones and can be extremely damaging strikers in the right situation.

Class: Warlock
Description: The Warlock is one of the oddities in 4E, although it is a striker it actually functions best as a single target controller that does some damage on the side as well.

Class: Warlord
Role: Leader
Description: Although not as strong at healing as other leaders, the Warlord has a single minded focus on boosting his allies attacks and initiative considerably, allowing his allies to go well before their enemies and destroy them before healing is even required. The warlord is definitely the leader for the tactically minded in 4E.

Class: Wizard
Role: Controller
Description: This is the class that focuses on exploding enemies violently with various area of effect spells. They have some excellent powers that deal automatic damage to other enemies and can severely hamper opponents by penalizing their saving throws (making it harder to escape from their effects). Wizards also have excellent damage potential with many of their spells, meaning they can stop enemies in their tracks and still blow them to pieces.

Class: Ardent
Power Source: Psionic
This is a psionic version of the warlord, but not as mechanically strong as the warlord They do have a lot of close burst and similar powers that have interesting effects on allies and they do like sticking it up close to enemies as well.

Class: Battlemind
Classification: Defender
The battlemind is the psionic defender. Unlike a fighter, its mark isn't as easy to enforce, albeit can be highly damaging in the right situations.

Class: Psion
The first psionic class shown that uses a power point system to "augment" at-will powers into encounter powers using power points (PPs).

Class:Monk
The Monk is a great new striker with unprecedented mobility in 4E. They are masters of unarmed fighting and if you've ever wanted to punch a dragon in the face with your iron fist of pure Bruce Lee inspired rage - this is definitely the class to play

Class:Seeker
A ranged controller that uses a bow and is pretty interesting. Many of their powers create zones and similar around a target they hit and it's certainly an interesting idea.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:23 am

There's lots of D&D people in 001.

Toon, Barnhart, Andrew, all play 4ED regularly.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

razi

Post by razi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:30 am

Grendel wrote:I run a restaurant and if things worked out could use that as a place to meet up and play. It is the First Watch in Webster Groves and is only open from 7AM to 2:30 PM and this would leave it available for play in the evenings. This could have many advantages as I have large round tables, WiFi, a huge fracking kitchen, and and an endless fountain of soda +2 that we could use. As long as everyone didn't try to destroy the decor we could have it there. Just throwing that out there.
check with your insurance and company policies before you throw that out. having people after hours might get nixed by corporate (ie get you fired). it sounds awesome, though. :D

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:02 pm

I'm down, but cant do weekends.
Kace, the Coyote without a cause.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

When the smoke clear, you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of leviathan
My friend, they call 'em strangers
Everybody talk to him end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange Ways

Grendel
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Grendel » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:13 pm

Grendel wrote:
I run a restaurant and if things worked out could use that as a place to meet up and play. It is the First Watch in Webster Groves and is only open from 7AM to 2:30 PM and this would leave it available for play in the evenings. This could have many advantages as I have large round tables, WiFi, a huge fracking kitchen, and and an endless fountain of soda +2 that we could use. As long as everyone didn't try to destroy the decor we could have it there. Just throwing that out there.

check with your insurance and company policies before you throw that out. having people after hours might get nixed by corporate (ie get you fired). it sounds awesome, though.
Not to worry about that. I have all need authority to handle who does what in that restaurant. The only worry would be if someone was crazy enough to burn the place down, then that would challenge of coming up with a creative story for the insurance company. Will be just a gathering of the nerdtastic and their dice.

Weeknights would be choice for me as well, since the weekends always bring such chaos. We need to find a night that works for everyone and roll with it. (Roll like a natural 20 that is)

Ogami the Undead

Post by Ogami the Undead » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:27 am

Yes, I (jamietoon) do play DnD, but I don't have time for any other games right now, though.
Keep this thread active if you don't mind, I like to know about gaming groups in STL for special events and the like, also I'd like to know what is happening in case I have some free time open up.
Also, so I can pimp Dicegrinder shows.
I Survived Zombie Cons 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008!!
I (barely) Survived Wintergeddon 2007!!
I Survived Wintergeddons (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) 2008 and 2009!!
I Survived Wintergeddon 2010! (Hell Froze Over! OCHO!)
I Survived Wintergeddon 2011!

Grendel
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Grendel » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:51 am

We got together for a short gaming session last Friday. Good times under the Dark Sun with no SPF protection.

Ogami the Undead

Post by Ogami the Undead » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:59 am

Watch out, you'll get quite a nasty burn that way!
I Survived Zombie Cons 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008!!
I (barely) Survived Wintergeddon 2007!!
I Survived Wintergeddons (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) 2008 and 2009!!
I Survived Wintergeddon 2010! (Hell Froze Over! OCHO!)
I Survived Wintergeddon 2011!

Return to “ZSC:001”