My Trip to Ohio

Topics on travel. Heading out of the country or just out of state? Stop by here to share advice or post questions.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Y2Kid

My Trip to Ohio

Post by Y2Kid » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:59 pm

Just got back from Ohio with my family. It was alright. We went to Geauga Lake (an amusement park owned by Cedar Point), which was okay. We rode the rides, played the games, and did the usual amusement park crap. We split up the park into two days (one day would be the rollar coasters and rides, the second day would be all the water rides), with a rest day in between.

When we went to the water park, we had a lot of fun...until we came to the wave pool. The pool went to six feet, so my step-brother went way down there, while me, my dad, and my step-mom stayed towards the shallow end. I was screwing around in the water (not swimming, as I can't swim, but just playing around), when I turn around to look at the three foot area of the pool, and see a little boy (he looked four or so) with a life-preserver on, laying at the bottom of the pool, curled up into a little ball.

I froze up. I could only think of one thing to do: swear and grab the nearest person from me, which happened to be my dad. We kinda stared for a second, and he yelled at one of the lifeguards, she dived in, grabbed the toddler (Note: there was a small circle of people standing around, looking at the child, but not doing anything. Kind of like a car accident), and came up...only it wasn't a child. It was a life-like doll they use to practice CPR on that was left over from practice.

I felt horrible that I didn't do anything. I got out of the water and sat down for a bit, sick with myself. What if it was an actual kid that was drowning? What would I have done? What if there was no one around to tell? I felt bad, so I left soon after that ordeal.

In short, I learned that I need to learn how to swim, how I react around bodies, and, most importantly, I learned never to trust Geauga Lake again.

Casew

Post by Casew » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:44 pm

That doll should not have been there at that time. But look at it this way, next time it might be a real kid (if there is a next time), and because of this you might react differently.

"Human behavior is economic behavior."
Hoot Harrington wrote:oh look a zombie frog had zombie sex with a zombie dog and now we have to fight a ten story t rex that barks

Y2Kid

Post by Y2Kid » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:53 pm

Didn't really look at it like that, but you're right. After this I might be able to do something if it happens again.

razi

Post by razi » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:10 am

you got the attention of the lifeguard, who is much better trained and equiped to deal with that specific situation than you. don't sweat it. next time your freeze up time should be shorter though.

everyone goes through that "waitaminute, what?" point of recognition.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:24 am

Take a first-aid/cpr class
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Return to “Travel”