My Paleo Diet Blog

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: My Paleo Diet Blog

Post by the_alias » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 am

A super interesting critical look at some myths around paleo
http://chriskresser.com/rhr-what-scienc ... at-lalonde" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man is a beast of prey

Septimus39
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days later, and I Am Legend (not really zombies, but close enough). I don't get into actual zombie horror films overly much, mostly because I just don't like horror films. When you combine zombies with comedy, though, I'm on board all the way.

Post by Septimus39 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:47 am

Those two dudes give me such a brain-on. I've got this one on my iPod and can't wait to give it a listen.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:55 am

I'm "partially" Paleo right now. I'll do bread and stuff in the morning out of convenience. Lunch I have been picking it up some on the Paleo end, dinner is usually 100% Paleo. My Brother in Law is changing his habits now too so I am going along with him. Most of our Holidays are at his house so we do all Paleo meals now (Mother's Day, Father's Day, Fourth) for those holiday meals.

I know, may be TMI, but the biggest change right now is my BMs. Holy Crap! (pun intended) Those things are huge! Still hoping to see a change in afternoon energy crashes. I have cut sugar from my coffee (used to always put sugar in coffee) and instead of breakfast treats for breakfast I do wholewheat toast and peanut butter with a fruit cup or some such most days now.

BTW, I also have OAS (oral alergy syndrome) so avoid most fresh fruits. I can do any fruit that has been processed in some way like canned, frozen, etc. but avoid fresh fruits except pineapple - the only fresh fruit I can handle.

I'm also very glad it is summer as I love a good iced tea, plain and cold. My current favorite is iced green tea and ginger. Mmmm. Great in the afternoons as it hydrates and gives me a small bit of cafeine.

I have not lost any weight - this is mainly due ot activity levels and portion control though.

Working on some Paleo friendly trail foods - I found a blog called Heather Loves Apples that I was reading last month but it is now password protected.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Septimus39
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days later, and I Am Legend (not really zombies, but close enough). I don't get into actual zombie horror films overly much, mostly because I just don't like horror films. When you combine zombies with comedy, though, I'm on board all the way.

Post by Septimus39 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:36 pm

I also had OAS, which kept me away from fresh fruit and vegetables for a long time. Since going completely wheat-free, the symptoms of that have all but disappeared. I eat loads of fresh, raw fruits and veggies now with only very slight itchiness, and then only rarely. There's some evidence that a lot of allergies are caused by leaky gut, so if you cut the things that irritate your gut (grains, legumes, dairy for some people) then a lot of those issues resolve themselves in fairly short order.

I think you'll see much better results in your afternoon energy levels if you eat more fat and protein for breakfast and just ditch the bread. It's convenient, for sure, but I think you'll be really pleased with the results if you can get rid of it for 30 days. Probably pleased enough to stay away from it for good after that, like I was.

Keep us posted with your progress, for sure. I'd love to hear how it all goes.

Werespaz

Post by Werespaz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:32 pm

Septimus39 wrote:I think you'll see much better results in your afternoon energy levels if you eat more fat and protein for breakfast and just ditch the bread. It's convenient, for sure, but I think you'll be really pleased with the results if you can get rid of it for 30 days. Probably pleased enough to stay away from it for good after that, like I was.
I'll second this but provide an easy alternative:

At the beginning of the week, I'll hardboil a dozen eggs. In the morning, my fastest routine involves cooking 4 pieces of bacon in the microwave for 5 minutes. While that's going, I peel three eggs and I have a quick and easy breakfast in no time at all.

Septimus39

Post by Septimus39 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:38 pm

I'll do the same. 2-3 hard boiled eggs with sausage or bacon pretty much every morning. If you get bored, you can change up the type of sausage (my current favorite is chorizo links) or add some salsa or something. In any case, it's a breakfast that really sticks with you. If I eat at 8AM, I'm often not hungry for lunch until 1-2PM even without any mid-morning snacking. I'll also do some jerky or some nuts sometimes if I'm in a real hurry. Basically, the goal is fat and protein, rather than starch. Helps stabilize your blood sugar so you don't get those crashes.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:02 pm

That's what I knew was going on. Just have been emptying the larders for the past 30 days. Fiance (Roxxors) has Celiac's so it's pretty easy for us. Big shopping day (the monthly one) tomorrow so will be getting more eggs and stuff for breakfast fixins.
President ZSC011

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:09 pm

An example of the dinner for the Fourth of July:

Kabobs:
sirloin steak cubes
or
chicken breast cubes
with
green and yellow peppers
red onion

Salad:
spinach
red onion
mushrooms
hard boiled egg
oil and vinegar dressing
(Mom in law made this, she has been on weight watchers for a few years now)

Dessert:
grilled pinapple
pineapple
yogurt and strawberries (I abstained)

Drink:
La Croix (orange or lime)
Diet Cokes for the ladies as they hate La Croix

Septimus:
You have/had OAS too? Mine gets pretty bad, up to and including nausea and puking. Pineapple is the only fruit I can do now. It progressively got worse over the years and started as soon as I got out of the Navy in 1993. I miss fresh peaches.
President ZSC011

Werespaz

Post by Werespaz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:21 pm

Also remember that there's no rule that says you can't have not-breakfast food for breakfast. I've eaten salads, soups and leftover dinners for breakfast several times before.

Septimus39

Post by Septimus39 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:35 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:Septimus:
You have/had OAS too? Mine gets pretty bad, up to and including nausea and puking. Pineapple is the only fruit I can do now. It progressively got worse over the years and started as soon as I got out of the Navy in 1993. I miss fresh peaches.
Yeah, bigtime. I didn't get nauseous, my mouth and throat would just get so itchy and irritated that sometimes it would get hard to breathe. Not like anyphylaxis, but enough that it got uncomfortable. It sucked, for sure. So glad I'm past it now. I've come to really love fresh produce, and I eat way more now than I ever have before.

Septimus39

Post by Septimus39 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:37 am

Hey guys! Wanted to check in and let everyone know that me and about a dozen of my friends have all signed on to do what's called a Whole 30 program. Basically 30 days of strict paleo. No grains, no legumes, no dairy, no sugars or sweeteners of any kind. It's pretty hardcore, but I'm seeing my remaining fat just melting away, and this will finally give me a chance to do the elimination/reintroduction with dairy that I should have done at the beginning to see how sensitive I actually am to various types of dairy. Here's the info:http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/

Here are my starting stats:

Weight: 207.6 lbs
Body Fat (Omron): 14.6%
Waist: 35.5"

I'll keep you posted on how it goes for me! I'm also just about done with the book, so if you want to give it a try and have any specific questions about it, let me know!

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:42 am

I'm interested to hear how you find it without dairy? Have you had any hint of dairy incompatibility before?
Man is a beast of prey

Septimus39

Post by Septimus39 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:51 am

Giving up cheese and heavy cream (clarified butter is still allowed) has been even harder than giving up sugar for me, actually. I'm doing it, though, and it gets easier every day. I've had minimal stomach upset, and a little is always expected when you change your eating habits (I've bumped up fruit and veggie consumption considerably). I have always had issues with conventional (grain-fed, pasteurized) dairy, and thought I was past all that when I switched to grass-fed stuff, and raw when possible. It seems like I can manage some kinds of dairy pretty well and others not so well, and some only in small quantities. I've never gone all the way without for any length of time though, so it could be like grains where I thought I handled them fine, but once I went without I realized how much better I felt. So that's really what this is about, for me. Really going full-on paleo for 30 days to get my baseline established, and then I can reintroduce and see how I feel. I doubt I'll be all the way dairy free forever, but I might start eating much less than I was if it turns out I don't manage it as well as I thought.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:07 pm

Here is a before and after paleo + working out shot:

I don't currently workout in a gym either.
Man is a beast of prey

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:51 am

Non-Celiac Wheat Sensitivity Diagnosed by Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Challenge: Exploring a New Clinical Entity.
Abstract
OBJECTIVES:

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity (WS) is considered a new clinical entity. An increasing percentage of the general population avoids gluten ingestion. However, the real existence of this condition is debated and specific markers are lacking. Our aim was thus to demonstrate the existence of WS and define its clinical, serologic, and histological markers.
METHODS:

We reviewed the clinical charts of all subjects with an irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)-like presentation who had been diagnosed with WS using a double-blind placebo-controlled (DBPC) challenge in the years 2001-2011. One hundred celiac disease (CD) patients and fifty IBS patients served as controls.

RESULTS:
Two hundred and seventy-six patients with WS, as diagnosed by DBPC challenge, were included. Two groups showing distinct clinical characteristics were identified: WS alone (group 1) and WS associated with multiple food hypersensitivity (group 2). As a whole group, the WS patients showed a higher frequency of anemia, weight loss, self-reported wheat intolerance, coexistent atopy, and food allergy in infancy than the IBS controls. There was also a higher frequency of positive serum assays for IgG/IgA anti-gliadin and cytometric basophil activation in "in vitro" assay. The main histology characteristic of WS patients was eosinophil infiltration of the duodenal and colon mucosa. Patients with WS alone were characterized by clinical features very similar to those found in CD patients. Patients with multiple food sensitivity were characterized by clinical features similar to those found in allergic patients.

CONCLUSIONS:

Our data confirm the existence of non-celiac WS as a distinct clinical condition. We also suggest the existence of two distinct populations of subjects with WS: one with characteristics more similar to CD and the other with characteristics pointing to food allergy.Am J Gastroenterol advance online publication, 24 July 2012; doi:10.1038/ajg.2012.236.
Sourece: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22825366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically you don't have to be diagnosed as a celiac to have a form of wheat sensitivity so all more reason to give Paleo a try.
Man is a beast of prey

Septimus39

Post by Septimus39 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:29 am

Awesome! It's like Robb Wolf always says: Try it for 30 days, because you've got nothing to lose. Except maybe your digestive problems, some excess body fat, those headaches, that joint inflammation, the acne...

Thanks for posting!

My before and during pics for my Whole 30 are here: http://paleogeek.wordpress.com/2012/08/ ... 30-week-1/

Not seeing huge differences yet (not like Alias, great job, dude!) but it's only been a week on the stricter protocol. I'll keep you guys posted, but I can already say that I think the Whole 30 is worth a shot for everyone, even if you've been doing paleo a while already. I've been eating pretty clean but I still had some bad food habits, and the Whole 30 really helps deal with those.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”