Dad whats for breakfast?

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Dad whats for breakfast?

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:38 am

That is what I am about to hear in a few weeks when i go home on leave, and my wife and I take the kids off the beaten path camping (we go offroading and just find a place to camp... to hell with campgrounds). We will be cooking on the campfire most likely with our cast iron frying pan, but getting a propane stove is an option. now my question is usually for this we take things like danishes or doughnuts o something similar. This time I wsant to make a good breakfast. Anyone got any ideas? I mean i can do eggs and bacon or pancakes and bacon or something similar, but I want to know if anyone else has any suggestions....

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

TacAir

Re: Dad whats for breakfast?

Post by TacAir » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:10 am

Corned beef hash with sliced spuds or hash browns.....mmmmm

Diced SPAM! (on day 2 or 3) and scrambled eggs. Add cheese sauce or salsa for fun.

Add blueberries to just about anything. Pancakes enjoy the color, so should the kiddos. Even oatmeal tastes better.

One of the favs at the summer camp where I cook - and one I get the most requests for - is Breakfast Burros, with salsa or other spicy sides. Take a lot of Tortillas - for dinner or as a snack, make quesadillas! Always good on a cold rainy day.
Another very hot item (#2 request) for breakfast at camp is biscuits and gravy w/ scrambled eggs on the side.
Extra biscuits can be saved for lunch can make great mini-sandwhichs - if there are any biscuits left.

Cantaloupe cut in half, and a just bit more scooped out as a breakfast bowl - fruit and ceral together and less to clean up = WIN! Save the scooped out bits to make fruit ice cream for lunch or dinner.

Unless you are cooking for 100 folks, these are one pot/one pan meals with minimal cleanup. Assuming papers plates/etc.

Welcome home (ya, I'm early) and thank you for your Service to the Nation.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:17 am

thanks bud, and those are great suggestions! i appreciate it?

any more suggestions?

Talon04

Post by Talon04 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:04 pm

Breakfast burritos the easy way. One egg in a plastic bag with shredded cheddar cheese and I usually use ham as well with a small piece of butter. To cook put it all in a bag and then squish it all together and then put it in a pot of boiling water. The bag will inflate and float and as long as you keep it from the side it wont burn. Check to see if its down by squeezing gently and looking for yoke. Use a skillet to warm the tortillas. We used to do this for our breakfast meal in the scouts because of the quick clean up.
brothaman wrote: They ARE super simple. I built mine from pins and springs with a meat mallet, a bamboo skewer, a flat screwdriver, and a 2 inch piece of painters tape. I felt like I was freaking MacGuyver.

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:14 pm

I like the burritos as a simple, tasty, and relatively tidy breakfast.
However, this morning...

Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:19 pm

wow good ideas, keep them coming!!

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:32 am

this conversation just came up last night with my wife, oddly enough. she had an idea of stuffed french toast using french bread, and a creamcheese based filling (she said she can make that at home and package it for the camping trip) then but fresh red raspberries or strawberries on it. then serve with a side of bacon

anyone else have any ideas?

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Mon May 23, 2011 8:49 am

Migas - fry up some bacon, then remove from pan. Tear up some corn tortillas, crisp them in the bacon grease, then scramble in eggs and some salsa. Crumble the bacon in, and throw some cheese in if you like.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Mon May 23, 2011 9:00 am

Meat N' Taters wrote:Migas - fry up some bacon, then remove from pan. Tear up some corn tortillas, crisp them in the bacon grease, then scramble in eggs and some salsa. Crumble the bacon in, and throw some cheese in if you like.
Damnit, I was going to say that, only I like the idea of crisping them in the bacon grease, I haven't done that.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Mon May 23, 2011 9:07 am

BigDaddyTX wrote:
Meat N' Taters wrote:Migas - fry up some bacon, then remove from pan. Tear up some corn tortillas, crisp them in the bacon grease, then scramble in eggs and some salsa. Crumble the bacon in, and throw some cheese in if you like.
Damnit, I was going to say that, only I like the idea of crisping them in the bacon grease, I haven't done that.
you can also use tortilla chips instead...just throw them in at the same time as the eggs. Mmmmm bacony

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon May 23, 2011 11:35 am

velojym wrote:I like the burritos as a simple, tasty, and relatively tidy breakfast.
However, this morning...

Wow, that could be breakfast, lunch or dinner. Or breakfast and lunch and dinner...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Mampfies

Post by Mampfies » Mon May 23, 2011 12:53 pm

You can speed up cooking and cleanup by pre-cooking your bacon at home. Here's how I do it:

Put your packages of sliced bacon out for an hour or so to warm up. Heat your oven to 350.

Remove bacon slices and twist them up like licorice sticks and put on broiler pans--you can fit a lot more bacon on your broiler pans this way, important when you're doing 6 pounds like I do.

Bake for half an hour or so. Ok if it's a little soft, but should be fully cooked. Drain bacon on paper bags, put in plastic bags when cooled. Sturdy keeper, but should be kept in the cooler. Drain fat in pan into a container, and take along for eggs and such.

Bacon will crisp up fast in a skillet or grill. If you pre-cooked to crispy, handy for bacon and egg sammiches. For ultra yum, sprinkle lightly with brown sugar before baking. I pre-cook sausage patties or links, too.

loimprevisto

Post by loimprevisto » Mon May 23, 2011 1:21 pm

There are several good camping/backpacking cookbooks out there to help avoid boing food while you're out and about. My favorite is Lip Smacking Backpacking.
Much Madness is divinest Sense —
To a discerning Eye —
Much Sense — the starkest Madness —

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Mon May 23, 2011 1:22 pm

If you can get ahold of machacado (dried shredded beef), that shit is awesome scrambled with eggs and green salsa in a flour tortilla. Dunno if its breakfst, but my uncle used to make this thing in a dutch oven, he would put in two cans of peach pie filling, then open a can of biscuits and tear them up, sprinkle them on top followed by cinnamon, sugar, and pieces of butter. He would bury it and put hot coals on the lid. Shit was gooooood when it finished.

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:49 pm

sorry forgot to update this.

i wish i got pics....

but we went camping but didnt stay overnight due to a fireban ($5,000 fine per adult if a fire was lit), and us not taking a propane stove with us.

so we packed up and went home. we did make the stuffed french toast with cream cheese filling and whipped cream fresh strawberry slices on top

it was AMAZING. we all enjoyed it thoroughly. if interested i can get the wife to send me the recipe to share with yall

Return to “Eats and Drinks”