I'm Making Hard Cider!!

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

guy1138

I'm Making Hard Cider!!

Post by guy1138 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:09 pm

**Can a Mod move this to food and drink?**

So this is a project I've wanted to start for awhile.

Here are the ingredients:

2 ea, one gal apple juice, no preservatives - I bought the Whole foods brand and a brand called Mrs. Gooches, both $7.99 each

1 ea packet of Ale yeast - in this case, Safale US-O5 $4.55 ea

2 ea three-piece airlocks and #5.5 rubber stoppers, approx $3 ea.

The yeast is enough for 5 gallons of beer, so I divided it in half and mixed it with warm water. It looks kinda milky:

Then I gave the bottles a vigorous shaking to get all the sediment mixed back in. Poured half of that container into each bottle of apple juice. Inserted the stoppers and airlocks, and added water to the airlocks.

The ale yeast supposedly does well between 65-75 degrees, which is the ambient temperature of my apartment, so we'll see how this goes. I had wanted to get this done before Christmas, but I procrastinated too much, looks like this will be a New Years treat. I actually started this Wednesday, so it should be ready to taste tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Last edited by guy1138 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Re: I'm Making Hard Cider!!

Post by Chef » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Looks good! Progress reports are a must.

Cider apples are different from eating and juice apples. They have much less sugar and are pretty much inedible. I'm curious about whether apple juice meant to be drunk unfermented will make a decent hard cider.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

fungusmunkey

Post by fungusmunkey » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:28 pm

Regular apple juice make great cider. It is sweeter than a standard cider but still really good.

ScottAW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, dead alive

I'm Making Hard Cider!!

Post by ScottAW » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:31 pm

Awesome, Definately let us know how this works, I'll have to try if it does.

And that juice came in awesome jugs, reuse for all homemade alcohol.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:38 pm

I have done this with champagne yeast and got a real nice dry cider after about a month in the carboy. Next year I am going to try from scratch as I have a massive Apple tree at the new pad.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

NapTime

Post by NapTime » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Just a word to the wise, it won't be a sweet apple cider! Most yeasts ferment out pretty dry, which is to say it turns essentially all of the sugar into alcohol (and CO2), which in turn means there won't be much sugar left to taste. Don't be surprised if it's quite tart, and don't be discouraged if it has harsh sharp biting tastes in it. It will get better with age, so don't dump it out or make any final judgments for a few weeks. If you want to read more than you ever wanted to know about brewing Apfelwein, there's a thread here that will get you up to speed.

Good on to you for making a batch though! Tell us how it tastes!

WY_Not

Post by WY_Not » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:54 pm

Could always take it a step further and make applejack. :twisted: Freeze it till ice starts forming, remove ice, repeat. As the frozen water is removed, the alcohol content of the remaining liquid increases.

At zero degrees ice will form until the liquid reaches 14% alcohol by volume.
At 10 below ice will form until it reaches 20%.
At 20 below 27% can be made.
And, at 30 below 33% alcohol can be obtained.

Just don't do it if you are in the US. Distillation of any kind is illegal (damned stupid laws).

guy1138

Post by guy1138 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:33 pm

Dawgboy wrote: I have done this with champagne yeast and got a real nice dry cider
NapTime wrote: Just a word to the wise, it won't be a sweet apple cider!
Yeah, according to the interwebs, the champagne yeast comes out especially dry, which is why I went with an ale yeast. I like my hooch dry instead of sweet, so I'm really looking forward to this.
ScottAW wrote: And that juice came in awesome jugs, reuse for all homemade alcohol.
Absolutely. If this batch turns out well, I'm going to buy 3 more. Hell, the 1 gallon jugs at the homebrew store are almost $10 each, so it's way cheaper to buy it this way. After I've got 5 of the gallon jars, I'll look for a cheaper source of no preservative apple juice.
WY_Not wrote:Could always take it a step further and make applejack.
I'm definitely going to try that with my next batch.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:06 am

Ooo arrr
Real cider - Devon or Somerset stuff is some of the nicest and foulest stuff ever made by man. Bits at the bottom - so thick it burns your through ranging from 7% right up to 13% .

You pay for it the next morning but it tastes so goood!
Man is a beast of prey

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:54 am

Are you going to invite Chavs?
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:13 pm

fungusmunkey wrote:Regular apple juice make great cider. It is sweeter than a standard cider but still really good.
That's more like the Norfolk style of cider. Stronger and often sweeter than the west country variety. But yeah, unless you stop the fermentation, it'll continue until the booze kills the yeast and all the sugar gone.
the_alias wrote:Ooo arrr
Real cider - Devon or Somerset stuff is some of the nicest and foulest stuff ever made by man. Bits at the bottom - so thick it burns your through ranging from 7% right up to 13% .

You pay for it the next morning but it tastes so goood!
I am a cider drinker, I drinks it all of the day, I am a cider drinker, it soothes all of me troubles away.
Regular Guy wrote:Are you going to invite yardies or what ever those ghetto Brit kids are called that harass folks.
chavs you mean? What do they have to do with cider? They wouldn't know good cider if it kicked them in the eye. The cider they drink tends to the 99p a litres apple flavour with industrial alcohol and carbonation that you find in corner shops.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:17 pm

Cider is great! You can drink it and heal sore hands. Whenever I have a rough day at work and cnc'ing is rough of the hands and fingers I like to soak em in cider :D

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:39 pm

Ad'lan wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:Are you going to invite yardies or what ever those ghetto Brit kids are called that harass folks.
chavs you mean? What do they have to do with cider? They wouldn't know good cider if it kicked them in the eye. The cider they drink tends to the 99p a litres apple flavour with industrial alcohol and carbonation that you find in corner shops.
Yeah, Chavs. Don't they harass folks and drink cider. I was trying to make a joke. :oops:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Regular Guy wrote:
Ad'lan wrote:
Yeah, Chavs. Don't they harass folks and drink cider. I was trying to make a joke. :oops:
No bother, I just didn't get the joke with no smiley. Impressive cultural knowledge though.
Edit:
And while I whine about missing smilies, I realise mine were missing too :D
My Guide to Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by nateted4 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:43 pm

I see that it's on the counter. I assume that was for the pic, and now you've stored it away somewhere nice and dark. If not, do so, as UV will turn it funky. Kinda like a cardboard taste. Avoid contamination, including wild yeasts and bacteria in the air, and keep it cool and dark. And let us know the results!
-Nate
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:56 am

I used to like Hard Cider... then I drank too much of it too fast and payed for it the next morning :shock: :mrgreen:
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

freenarative
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, 28 days/weeks later (viral outbreak not zombie but still,,,,)

Post by freenarative » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:12 am

WY_Not wrote:
Just don't do it if you are in the US. Distillation of any kind is illegal (damned stupid laws).
As long as you pay the tax, you can make any alcohol you like in the uk ;) can anyone say potcheen? ;)
Drichar Deis wrote:Sledge hammer to the forehead, night night cow ;)
Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:20 am

freenarative wrote:
WY_Not wrote:
As long as you pay the tax, you can make any alcohol you like in the uk ;) can anyone say potcheen? ;)
No, you must have a license first, as I understand it, a very hard license to get.
You can brew whatever you like for personal consumption though. Just stills need to comply with the Alcoholic Liquor Duties Act 1979 s18(1).
My Guide to Fletching

freenarative
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, 28 days/weeks later (viral outbreak not zombie but still,,,,)

Post by freenarative » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:24 am

Ad'lan wrote:
freenarative wrote:
WY_Not wrote:
No, you must have a license first, as I understand it, a very hard license to get.
You can brew whatever you like for personal consumption though. Just stills need to comply with the Alcoholic Liquor Duties Act 1979 s18(1).
Ah,,, yes,,, sorry I did badly word that one. The below is taken from http://homedistiller.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which I scanned VERY quickly but i think it should explain my thinking. also please note the rules here are clear and this is for informative purposes only!

If you use a still and are caught you will be liable to pay the duty on the alcohol in the spirits you make (currently £19.56 per litre) and to pay a fine of whichever is the greater of £250 and 5% of the duty payable. (Finance Act 1994 s9(2)). Forget getting a license. There are rules about how large (or rather how small) the still can be which would render any home device unlawful and in any case you'd have to pay the duty which sort of defeats the object. As far as I can ascertain, you are not committing a criminal offence by distilling alcohol. All the above are civil matters. I assume that Customs and Excise would seize all your product and your equipment too.

In short, you might say that the consequences of a raid on a genuine hobby distiller making liquor for him or herself would be embarrassing but not necessarily disastrous. As for the likelihood of getting caught; well I have never heard of a case in my lifetime (I'm 47). My own guess is that the Customs an Excise are far too busy chasing drugs and liquor smugglers and dealing with VAT fraud to bother with a small time....... Hang on, there's someone at the door.
Drichar Deis wrote:Sledge hammer to the forehead, night night cow ;)
Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:47 am

To the OP:
Where did you get the yeast and the airlocks? I can't find them anywhere.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

rule4

Post by rule4 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:55 am

ODA 226 wrote:To the OP:
Where did you get the yeast and the airlocks? I can't find them anywhere.
these are for sale at any brewing supply store. im my part of the country home brewing is quite popular. you can also get supplies off the web... just search for home brew supplies.

i used to make hard cider in college with champagne yeast and unpasteurized apple juice. it came out pretty good from what i remember but back then i was more interested in it's effects rather than it's taste.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:27 pm

We make what we call 'wine'. ahem.
It's good freshly made, but then not so good, then 2 months later it's yummy.
Even better after 2 years if you can keep people out of it. I have some cherry 'wine' aged so far 3 years. Like the devil in velvet trousers.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Moved to Eats and Drinks.

Awesome!
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:40 am

ZombieGranny wrote:We make what we call 'wine'. ahem.
It's good freshly made, but then not so good, then 2 months later it's yummy.
Even better after 2 years if you can keep people out of it. I have some cherry 'wine' aged so far 3 years. Like the devil in velvet trousers.
+1

I've got a cherry melomel that has been aging for the last few years (two and a half, I think).
Probably going to crack a bottle tonight.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”