Home Brew

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

halfagent

Home Brew

Post by halfagent » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:48 pm

I think that if you do bug out and find a place where you and your group will be safe, I think that you should start brewing your own likker. Moonshine. that way if you find somebody who has something you want you have something to give him/her. Plus it's always nice having a hobbiw to pass the time.
A news reporter once asked a Marine,"what do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?". The Marine thought for a while and replied,"recoil".

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:13 pm

this is a valid point, and the usefulness fo liquor and other alcoholic beverages has been discussed many timeas aorun here, but i don't think we've done a thread on brewing yet. Just remember that in most places it's illegal to own and operate a still for alcohol production, but otherwise, you can make all the beer and wine you like.

That being said, i'll start this off the degenerate way. When i was in culinary school, the wine and horticulture students used to brew up their own wine, made from tang in big drums. It was like 20% alcohol, and tasted sweet and yummy. Now THAT's a buzz. I used to wal around campus with a double gulp full of it sipping contently.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:19 pm

I don't know about moonshine being a good idea, most "moonshine" I've seen is better use as paint thinner, but as for myself I've been making beer for about 6 months with my roomate and its pretty fun to do.
It could be used to pass the time, and depending on the amount of ingridents, size of containers, etc you could make a decent amount of beer...

Besides with beer the worst thing that can happen if you screw it up is that it taste like shit, if you screw up making liquor then likly the best case scenario is you poison whoever drinks it, worst case is everyone who drinks it dies...

Thats my 2 cents...

Later...

nicklefish

Post by nicklefish » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:22 pm

I've heard stories of people throwing a bunch of fruit and sugar in a plastic bag and letting it sit for a few weeks. Instant homebrew or BS?
Don't make excuses. Make results.

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:23 pm

The people who can make "Hooch" are definitely worth having around as well as keeping alive. That's the way I see it, even though it is a tad blurry.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

olaf_yahoo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Shaun of The Dead, Dawn of The Dead 76', Undead, 28 Days Later, Dawn of The Dead, The Walking Dead

Post by olaf_yahoo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:32 pm

Ok I'm confused, just what does booze have to do with survival preparation? Shouldn't this be in off topic discussion.
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum"

"Why bring more, when you can take Les"

E&E belt kit thread- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77171

Orson

Post by Orson » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:41 pm

Booze as bargining chip and to help with sanity
kyle wrote:I, for once, actually agree with gundown.
GunDown wrote: I never would have fucked her if she didn't have a vagina.

olaf_yahoo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Shaun of The Dead, Dawn of The Dead 76', Undead, 28 Days Later, Dawn of The Dead, The Walking Dead

Post by olaf_yahoo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:49 pm

I would have thought in terms of trading people would be a lot more interested in every day items than liquor. Clean socks would be worth a lot more to me than a lot of things at that point, but then I've never really understood the fascination with getting shitfaced anyway.
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum"

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:54 pm

olaf_yahoo wrote:I would have thought in terms of trading people would be a lot more interested in every day items than liquor. Clean socks would be worth a lot more to me than a lot of things at that point, but then I've never really understood the fascination with getting shitfaced anyway.

Then you're one of the very, very few.

The PAW will not change the fundamental aspects of humanity, if anything, it will magnify them.

And one of those fundamentals is, people like spiritous beverages.

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:01 am

If you came upon someone who was willing to trade but had few items which would you choose (not being a smartass)? A pair of socks, bullets in the right caliber, some beer or..whatever, a good knife or batteries for something you carry?

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:23 am

Zombie Squad doesn't condone drugs, but in a PAW, I'll be growing fields of ganja for use in trading for weapons, protection, food, supplies, etc...
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

\Slash/

Post by \Slash/ » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:27 am

Zombie Squad doesn't condone drugs, but in a PAW, I'll be growing fields of ganja for use in trading for weapons, protection, food, supplies, etc...
Ganja. Why don't you just say weed? Also I think weed is the last thing people need in a PAW. If theres anybody else alive to smoke it or trade. Good idea but, i doubt a lot of us will survive to being a new life like in "Land of the Dead" where you can sell Dom Perignon for 5 Grand.

CaptianM

Post by CaptianM » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:32 am

cocain leaves alone are not dangerous
and work as a mild pain killer
u could grow it and sell it as u could with many other illegal items

i have a feeling that i would rad pharmacies and sell the pills to people

\Slash/

Post by \Slash/ » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:34 am

Remember guys, selling drugs are bad an obviously against and laws.

Unless your smart.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:35 am

\Slash/ wrote: Ganja. Why don't you just say weed?
What's the diff?
I have Jamaican friends, I'm used to hearing ganja or herb. Kids say weed.
Also I think weed is the last thing people need in a PAW. If theres anybody else alive to smoke it or trade.
Man, marijuana is the last thing ANYONE needs (except for medicinal use). It does kill your brain with continous long term use, I've seen way too many living examples. I personally don't smoke it, it ain't for me. However, in a PAW, there are very few readily replenishable pain killers, and probalby none as effective as herb. It would be extremely valuable.
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

\Slash/

Post by \Slash/ » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:40 am

What's the diff?
I have Jamaican friends, I'm used to hearing ganja or herb. Kids say weed.
I may not be jamaican. But well I still say weed or ganja when "Chillin" with friends. Anywho, yes the drug is good for pain killers as long as you don't get hooked. I had concaine up nose once. Strictly medincal purposes though I had involuntary nose bleeds.

CaptianM

Post by CaptianM » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:46 am

i know drugs and bad and stuff
but in a PAW society they would be sold and traded
cause a group of people would need pain killers and stuff

Flashbang_E4T

Post by Flashbang_E4T » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:50 am

Anyhow back to the topic of Boozing. Olaf you may not realise it but moral is a very important thing, and as it turns out Spirits are an outstanding way to lift ones moral. Not to mention it has a number of other more practical uses.
Civilian Scout wrote:Water is essential for physical survival, but liquor is crucial for keeping the soul alive.
the_klenzer wrote:I'd get up, look out my window, pause for a moment and say "Fucking Americans have finally invaded. Oh well, bound to happen." And go back to bed.

CaptianM

Post by CaptianM » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:01 am

yes the british navy would give its crew booze and stuff
it was good for morale and made them better fighters
look at GB's naval career

Flashbang_E4T

Post by Flashbang_E4T » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:09 am

Well Id dispute the alchohol directly being responcible for making them better fighters, but Ill agree that it raised moral and made them more willing to fight thus indirectly attributing to better fighting.
Civilian Scout wrote:Water is essential for physical survival, but liquor is crucial for keeping the soul alive.
the_klenzer wrote:I'd get up, look out my window, pause for a moment and say "Fucking Americans have finally invaded. Oh well, bound to happen." And go back to bed.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:13 am

olaf_yahoo wrote:If you came upon someone who was willing to trade but had few items which would you choose (not being a smartass)? A pair of socks, bullets in the right caliber, some beer or..whatever, a good knife or batteries for something you carry?
]

Perhaps you're having trouble understanding me, I'll try to explain again.

I didn't say I would trade anything for booze in the PAW, or in any breakdown of society situation. I did, however, say that many people would be willing to trade for it, making it a valuable bartering asset.

multipass

Post by multipass » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:31 am

I would actualy like to elarn how to brew beer. It may not be the best bartering object in the PAW but it could be drunk in moderation ccasiaonly, say after a succesful scavaging mission and maybe at certain tiems in the year.

Flashbang_E4T

Post by Flashbang_E4T » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:41 am

Its better to go with wine or liquor than beer. Only for the simple fact that wine is pretty easy to make and has high alchohol ocntent thus being more efficient, and liquor having dramatically higher content.

multipass

Post by multipass » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:51 am

Well yeah, i would prefer to make Ale, cause then i can go all viking wiht leather tankards to drink it form. Though if i made up some brew before joining the army. Man 4 year brewing period, would be good shit i think.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”