"Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" -- AWESOME!!!!!!

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

WhoShotJR

Re: "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" -- AWESOME!!!!!!

Post by WhoShotJR » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks for this recipe. I have made several different variations now(cinnamon sugar, cheesy bread sticks..) and everyone turned out great.

I thought I'd share a pizza recipe and came up with through trial and error (sorry, no pics).

Make the dough and refrigerate at least 24 hours.
Preheat oven with pizza stone inside to 425.
Dust wooden cutting board heavily with corn meal.
Take some flour and dust the dough around the area you want to tear off (a baseball size chunk makes a meal for me).
Press the dough out quite thin, turning often to infuse the whole thing with corn meal. (No need to rest the dough for this recipe)
Top with a good quality marinara sauce, a very light sprinkling of sugar, and McCormick's Pizza grinder seasoning.
Add toppings (sans raw veggies). I like Boar's Head pepperoni, it's the best pepperoni I've ever had.
Add cheese to your liking. My choice is mozzarella, provolone and a little cheddar.
Then on top of the cheese add any raw veggies which benefit from a little cooking/ caramelization such as raw onions or bell peppers (this is key for the best taste.
A pizza peel would work best here because it will be floppy, try two large spatulas or some other means to get this in the oven.
Bake until done, usually around 12 mins.

This makes the best pizza I have ever had, from New York to Chicago, it beats everyone I've had.

Thanks again for such a simple and great recipe.

razi

Post by razi » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:05 am

I cooked a few loaves of this for an early thanksgiving dinner and everyone loved it.

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:12 pm

I have a question, how big are these loaves? I am looking for something to replace store bought bread so I can save some money this next year. If I can make loaves at least close in cross section if not length then I can replace the store bought stuff.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

ogreboy

Post by ogreboy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:14 am

silentpoet wrote:I have a question, how big are these loaves? I am looking for something to replace store bought bread so I can save some money this next year. If I can make loaves at least close in cross section if not length then I can replace the store bought stuff.
You can make it long and skinny or round, you really gets to choose how big you want it, I get 5 or 6 6-8 inch round loaves out of the batch. You could probably put it in a bread pan if you wanted to. If you don't put the water it comes out without the hard crust, similar to normal bread. Then if you keep it in a plastic bag it will stay soft longer.
Don't confuse where you are going, and who you are taking with you. -Sean Kennedy

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:53 am

Thanks, I will look at flour and yeast next time I am at sams.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."

sferrari
Favorite Zombie Movies: Adam Curtis documentaries

Post by sferrari » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:03 am

For all the people having trouble with sticky unmanageable dough; how are you measuring your flour? Are you dumping it into the measuring cup or are you using the measuring cup to scoop it from the container? If you're dumping it into your measuring cup you're probably not using enough flour. When you scoop it with the measuring cup it packs it into the cup and you get more.

Bread recipes are flexible. Experiment with stuff and you will see how it effects the final product. More mixing/kneading or using a flour with higher protein content will make a chewy bread. Protein, such as milk, will enhance browning. Fats prevent the bread from hardening; etc. If the dough is too sticky, just add more flour. Bread is forgiving. Just relax, and do what feels right.

I feel the need to address an issue that nobody else has mentioned yet: addiction. Before you slide that first loaf into the oven, seriously ask yourself "Do I really want the ability to make GOOD bread for dirt cheap at any time, day or night." Because once it's done, there's no going back. Seriously, I've gained 10lbs since I learned to bake my own bread. I never had a problem when my only option was that vile shit that the grocery store peddles. And before you go looking; no, there's no support group for bread addicts. Don't ask how I know this. :)
I don't care how it was done in California.

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
- Robert Heinlein

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:25 pm

I've been slacking...I haven't made this in a couple of months :oops:

I had some left over whey from cheese I made on Christmas day, so I used that instead of water. The dough's rising now and will bake tomorrow :mrgreen:
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Luthifer
Favorite Zombie Movies: My movie consumption is shameful. Or awesome. I watch few movies.

Post by Luthifer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:22 am

Some of the earlier posts were about dough that was too sticky, or hard to form. When it's like this, it's called 'loose'. Loose dough is generally a good thing for crusty artisan-type breads, but you need it tight enough that you can get it in the damn oven. :)
One thing I didn't see mentioned, as far as measuring flour is concerned, that flour is very hygroscopic, it readily absorbs moisture from the air. If your flour is damp, your dough is gonna be loose. Just add some flour until you can handle it.
Also, re: measuring, most baker weigh their ingredients, it's considered more accurate, and sifting is irrelevant. With an electronic scale, you can weigh out your 3 pounds 7.5 oz of white flour, tare (zero) the scale, and weigh your next ingredient in the same bowl. You can weigh your liquid ingredients as well. If you're like me, you can also weigh everything that goes in your BOB. :)
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Not Benjamin Franklin

sferrari
Favorite Zombie Movies: Adam Curtis documentaries

Post by sferrari » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:29 am

I didn't use chantreas recipe but I figured I'd put it here anyway.

I like it because it easy to remember the recipe and it only takes an hour to make. My recipe is adapted slightly from the original to suit my taste.

5 cups flour
1 Tbsp saf-instant yeast
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tsp salt
2 Cups hot tap water

Combine dry ingredients and mix. Add water. Mix for five minutes. If you have a stand mixer, use it. Turn out of bowl and knead for a few minutes. divide and shape as desired. Let it rise for 25 minutes on baking sheet. While it's rising, preheat oven to 350. Bake for 25 minutes.

It ain't all frou-frou or "artisan". It's just bread. It makes killer subs and french bread pizza.
I don't care how it was done in California.

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
- Robert Heinlein

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:52 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:I've been slacking...I haven't made this in a couple of months :oops:

I had some left over whey from cheese I made on Christmas day, so I used that instead of water. The dough's rising now and will bake tomorrow :mrgreen:
My bread came out crustier this time. I don't know if that had anything to do with the whey, though. Other than that, it tasted the same and had the same soft interior I remember.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:56 pm

Made a few loaves of this the other night, with the water in the pan for a crustier bread.

I wish I had remembered that I hate crusty bread.

Next time: no water pan.

Great recipe though. Will keep it around for sure.

Mampfies

Post by Mampfies » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:38 pm

You can take orange-sized gobs of dough, pat them kinda flat in a heavy teflon or greased cast iron skillet (about 3 per 12" skillet), fry for 7 or so minutes per side with a lid on, medium heat, and have free-form yummy goodness camping or at home, using far less time and energy. Half whole wheat and white flour tastes best to me.

killzombies
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Diary, Dawn and Night!

Post by killzombies » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:20 pm

what if i don't have kosher salt?
Selling 5 round OEM licensed production Saiga-12 mags, plastic with metal feed lips, new out of wrapper (I test loaded each mag to make sure they loaded. Don't forget to slide the shell all the way back before pressing down >.<).

$18/each,
2 = Free S&H
5 = Free S&H + free mag

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:35 pm

Then use iodized.

Seriously out of all the breads I've been making and recipes I've been trying... NO BREAD took much longer than this 'artisan bread' recipe. Some might have more ingredients but the process is all the same. So the difference in time is really the time it takes me to measure out some spices, or two dif. flours, or whatever.

Bread making is AWESOME.

I'm so domesticated.

killzombies
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Diary, Dawn and Night!

Post by killzombies » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:07 pm

figured as much but thanks for confirming :)
off to try it out
Selling 5 round OEM licensed production Saiga-12 mags, plastic with metal feed lips, new out of wrapper (I test loaded each mag to make sure they loaded. Don't forget to slide the shell all the way back before pressing down >.<).

$18/each,
2 = Free S&H
5 = Free S&H + free mag

Luthifer
Favorite Zombie Movies: My movie consumption is shameful. Or awesome. I watch few movies.

Post by Luthifer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:28 am

killzombies wrote:what if i don't have kosher salt?
Kosher salt and iodized salt are not directly equivalent, I think you have to use more Kosher if the recipe calls for iodized, and vice versa. Has to do with the amount of airspace in a given volume. Fo the purposes of this bread, you're probably OK just substituting.

This thread got me back into making this bread, it's called No-Knead-Bread , or NKB. There was an article a few years ago in the NYT, and then the one in Mother Earth News. The recipe I'm using has a couple extra ingredients, but I think it's worth the trouble, plus it helps to use up the results of homebrewing attempts that were not overly successful.

15 oz Ap flour
1 1/2 t table salt
1/4 t yeast
7 oz H2o
3 oz beer
1/2 oz vinegar (I use cider vin)

I mix the liquid ingredients, add the yeast and let it sit for a few minutes while I weigh the flour out. Combine flour and salt, add liquid, mix to form a loose dough, and turn into a bowl hit with nonstick spray. Cover with plastic wrap, and leave it sit for 8 hours or more. Fridge if you're out past 16 hrs. 2 hrs before baking, form the dough into a loaf, using extra flour to make it manageable, and let it rise for 2 hrs, then into a hot (like 475) oven. You can put it in a preheated cast iron dutch oven with a lid, or bake it on a pizza stone in the lower 1/3 of the oven. I throw a couple handfuls of ice cubes on the floor of the oven when I bake on the stone, which gives that wonderful, shattery crust.

Here's the result:Image
Last edited by Luthifer on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Not Benjamin Franklin

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:13 am

I just started a batch of dough...will report back in later...I varied the recipe a bit by starting the yeast/salt/water with 1.5 TB of honey...I stirred the yeast/salt/honey and warm water together and let it sit for a couple of minutes to get going...my thinking in this was that the extra carbs and micronutrients in the honey would help the yeast get off to a better start in the dough...we'll see...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

HK45Tac

Post by HK45Tac » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:54 am

Baked a large loaf yesterday with an egg coating on top sprinkled with kosher salt, rosemary and garlic. Decided while I was in the kitchen to mix up another batch to bake today. Kids came home after school and scarfed the entire loaf in 15 min. This is how domestic I've become, baking the loaf in morning, taking a hike in Loch Raven with my GHB as a training weight and going to the Timonium gun show around 3 with my brother.

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Bread is now rising. We'll see what happens.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:33 am

I have just made my first batch of this bread, it is rising now. Still have the 2-5 hours wait.

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:45 am

I am so full right now. It is good.

SouthPAW

Post by SouthPAW » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:58 am

The pics of those fresh baked loaves in the OP looked awesome~!

I want to try this, but before I just buy shit @ random, I wanted to double check a few things...

I was shopping @ smart & final earlier today, and as it turns out, the unbleached flour was more than double the price lb for lb of regular bleached AP. I'm not a total cheapass, but is there a good, specific reason to use unbleached? Is it taste, nutritional value, texture, all the above? Is wheat flour considered unbleached? Can whole wheat be used instead, or maybe mixed in? My guess is it's a matter of taste.

Also, the yeast they had came in rock hard blocks that were packed tightly in foil packs. I know S&F tends to have larger than grocery store quantities for restaurants and such, but it looked like an ungodly amount of yeast. It looked like a kilo brick of hash or something. Do I want this compressed yeast, or a more loose variety in a jar/can?

Kosher salt is cool, I have it already.

There is a home depot across the street from the S&F, so I stopped in there first to find a tile to use as a pizza stone, as I don't have one. The people who worked there were not only clueless, but they just tried to sell me every other tile, even though I told them repeatedly the tile should be unglazed. Evidently, they don't know what glazed means.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find a good tile for bread/pizza? Lowes? OSH? Maybe another home depot where they don't keep showing me porcelain tiles that look like granite? :roll:

This bread looks awesome! I'm tired of the store bought crap, and want to give this a go. This also looks very economical.

Hook a brotha up!

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:10 am

And I noticed the thread had no direct link.
http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:24 pm

SouthPAW,
Most flour is bleached, unbleached flour is just grabbed from the line before it gets doused. It doesn't matter to me, as our water has bleach in it anyway.
The giant blocks of yeast can be kept in the door of your freezer for years. I put them in a Ziplock bag, because hubby is a little messy when scooping.

Happy baking!
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”