"Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" -- AWESOME!!!!!!

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ogreboy

Re: "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" -- AWESOME!!!!!!

Post by ogreboy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:59 pm

The yeast is exactly the same in the brick or in the jar or packet. It just feels like a rock because it was vacuum sealed, once you open it, it is loose. The brick that I bought was the same price as the jar I got before it, and the brick had 8 times as much. I gave some to my friends and family with the recipe, because it would take me forever to make it through that brick.
Don't confuse where you are going, and who you are taking with you. -Sean Kennedy

koolaidND
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks, 28 days, resident evil series, zombieland

Post by koolaidND » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:34 pm

I wish I would have never seen this thread. I made three batches of this bread yesterday. I just can't stop making this stuff.

Tomorrow I want to make a batch with honey.
There are people who are pissed off every day I wake up alive...that also makes me happy. - Raptor.

Necronos
Favorite Zombie Movies: Don't get me wrong, I liked Zombieland... but seriously, it doesn't hold a candle to Shaun of the Dead

Post by Necronos » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:19 am

I've been making this bread everyday for the last week... sometimes twice a day. My family loves it when I add some mixed herbs - this just blows my mind. It has really changed the way that I view my whole food storage.

Next shopping trip I'm buying some wheat and a grinder, when I get a chance I'm going to experiment with a solar oven
Idaho ZS'ers Unite!

KF7HLH
ZS# 1802
ZS Fleet#'s 0159, 0162

DynamicRabbit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by DynamicRabbit » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:50 pm

Hey. HEY!
Who said the dough was gonna be sticky?
SEVERE understatement. I spent 5 minutes scrubbing the dough off my hands after mixing all the ingredients, lol.

Just put it in the oven to rise (our kitchen is balls cold, turned on the oven for 30 seconds then turned it off and put the bowl inside it). In a couple hours I'll bake that shit and update.

ogreboy

Post by ogreboy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:30 pm

DynamicRabbit wrote:Hey. HEY!
Who said the dough was gonna be sticky?
SEVERE understatement. I spent 5 minutes scrubbing the dough off my hands after mixing all the ingredients, lol.
It doesn't have to be sticky you can just add more flower until its not sticky. It will change the bread a little so you may like it better one way or the other.
Don't confuse where you are going, and who you are taking with you. -Sean Kennedy

clarketb

Post by clarketb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:29 pm

I think this whole thing is a plan by the OP to get us addicted to homemade bread,so he won't have to outrun the Zeds. Just us fat bastards

ArtfulDodger

Post by ArtfulDodger » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:43 pm

We go through bread like crazy, so I am definitely going to try this.

I don't own a pizza stone, but, it looks like people are having satisfactory enough results without it. I need to got the hardware store sometime soon anyway, so, maybe I'll just pick one up then.

DynamicRabbit

Post by DynamicRabbit » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:33 pm

First batch, used provided recipe.
Made some garlic butter and nommed up the whole loaf, it was fantastic.
Fan-Tastic.

Second batch made with a different recipe, the "Artisan Bread for Zombie Killers." Didn't rise properly, so it came out sort of dense. I used half the dough to make cinnamon pull-aparts (small dough balls, roll in melted butter then cinnamon/sugar mix, bake)
Second half I kneaded flat, then sprinkled Parmesan cheese and thyme on it, rolled it up, sprayed the top with a wee bit of pam and sprinkled kosher salt on it.
Not as good, but still good.

EDIT - apparently can't edit image size on these boards. new images up

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:25 am

I really can't believe this works out so well. I made my first batch today, and it is perfect. I might try and take some pictures tomorrow when I bake the rest.

This is awesome, delicious and cheap! Not to mention easy...it literally only took five minutes to mix. That is awesome.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:18 pm

The last couple of batches of this I have made using some sourdough starter, I didn't think it could get better, but it may have.

I have enough dry commercial yeast to make about a thousand loves of this bread, but with my sourdough I have enough yeast for an infinite amount of loaves, yay!
zXzGrifterzXz wrote: "An Armed Society is a polite society, unless they are talking on the Internet......then they are total bastards to each other."

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:54 pm

This recipe also works using whole wheat flour. I've mixed up 2 batches so far using a combo of whole wheat and regular flour and it comes out a bit denser but very tasty. I used 4 cups of whole wheat and 2.5 cups of regular. Might try a little more regular flour on the next batch.

Last batch I added a little extra yeast and 2 tablespoons of honey, the yeast helped with the density and the honey gave it just a hint of sweetness.

Thanks to whoever put this recipe out there. Good stuff.
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Chantrea
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Uh...does Bubba Ho-Tep count? It's got Bruce Campbell in it!

Post by Chantrea » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:43 pm

This thread makes me smile every time I see it, glad to know people are still enjoying it! :)

DynamicRabbit

Post by DynamicRabbit » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Chantrea wrote:This thread makes me smile every time I see it, glad to know people are still enjoying it! :)
It's like pow in my mouth.

Chiral
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by Chiral » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:13 am

I've been making a batch every week due to no meat fridays. I usually make some pizza (fresh basil and mozzarella) and the family loves it. Thanks for this recipe!

bluesquid
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALLLLLLLLL

Post by bluesquid » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:00 am

made the dough again last night. But it in the fridge.

Pulled it out tonight, floured the crap out of it and let it rise for a hour. Backed without water pan, in top of oven. Was like a crusty biscut. so good.

Thanks for the recipe. enjoyed the whole loaf. :)
FEED YOUR WOLVES WISELY! "The best battle rifle ever made is the FAL bar none".

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:14 pm

this thread deserves a sticky or at least to be on the first page. Making another batch right now, just put the loaves in the oven.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

Jermedic

Post by Jermedic » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:05 am

silentpoet wrote:this thread deserves a sticky or at least to be on the first page. Making another batch right now, just put the loaves in the oven.
Thank you for bumping this thread!!!! I am going to try this out on monday when I get home from work. I am a sucker for fresh bread but often overpay for it at a local bakery. No more of that starting next week! Can't wait to give it a go and try different variations. :mrgreen:

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:55 am

Awesome recipe tagged for future use, thanks for bumping it - regarding the salt/yeast thing the recipe calls for kosher salt which is half as dense as regular salt, so if you substitute table salt make sure you use less

Now I just have to work out if I can bake in a wok :evil:
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

Jermedic

Post by Jermedic » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:10 am

I am eating my first loaf as we speak (literally almost done with the whole loaf). You guys got me hooked on this and no way I'm buying bread from the store again. This tastes so much better and is a lot cheaper. I will be trying out some of the variations posted on here this week.

johndoe

Post by johndoe » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Excellent recipe, thanks for posting. I cooked mine a small cast iron dutch oven, about a perfect size for a loaf. I preheated the cast iron for 45 minutes or so and before putting the dough in I sprinkled corn meal in the bottom to keep the crust from burning. I also mixed in rosemary and some sea salt, then about 20 minutes into the cook removed the lid, brushed with butter, and sprinkled more rosemary and sea salt on top. Then I cooked about 10-15 minutes more, until fully brown. Amazing.

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:05 pm

Need tips on making it last, it seems to disappear awful quick from the kitchen.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

Krustofski
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by Krustofski » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:11 pm

I have achieved breadvana with garlic bread based on this thread.

Take the OPs recipe, all 1 clove of fresh garlic per loaf before backing, top warm slice of bread with a bit of homemade garlic butter... oh my god. :shock:
Off the internet until further notice.

NX02GT
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ones with Zombies in them.

Post by NX02GT » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:52 pm

*"waiting two hours." Can't wait. Tried it "to the T" for the first go, resisted the urge to add beer.
Czechnology wrote: On a normal shotgun with Ghost Rings, the sight radius is significantly longer. I'd put a red dot on that thing before I ever considered those MBUS. It's like putting Pirellis on a Mail Jeep. Yeah they look cool, but the platform cannot utilize them to their potential.

Brewguy

Post by Brewguy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Since this thread is still going. I just mixed up my first batch, I'll cook it up tonight and see how it is.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”