Camp meal Part 2. 56k warning.

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Camp meal Part 2. 56k warning.

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:38 am

Camp meal Part 2.

Here is a follow up to my previous camp meal thread. Most of the items are similar but I have added breakfast and useful tips for cooking on a single burner backpacker type stove. In this case I used a MSR Pocket Rocket. However any backpacker stove will due. If windy it is best to use a windscreen or find a sheltered area to conserve on fuel. These meals will not win any awards but offers good calories for minimal weight and bulk at a reasonable price.

Dinner.

For dinner I consume the following items.

1. Lipton side dish. In this case Lo mein. Calories 440.
2. Star-Kist tuna pack. Calories 150.
3. Coffee, dried milk, 2 packets of sugar. Calories 100.
4. Mountain House Raspberry Crumb. Calories 660. Wow.

Step one is to fill the MSR Ti kettle ½ full with water than fill the Snowpeak cup 7/8th. First place the Ti kettle on the camp stove and bring to a simmer. If using unfiltered water than a rolling boil is called for. Place the contents of the Lipton side dish into the hot water.

Toss in the tuna. Chicken can work or beef jerky if looking to cut back on weight.

Turn down the stove and simmer for about 5 minutes with the lid on. You don’t want a strong flame as this will make the contents boil over and caramelize the bottom of your cook pot. Occasionally stir. My advice is to get at least a good simmer going before adding the Lipton. True this uses a bit more fuel but seems to result in easier cleanup later. As stated a rolling boil is a good idea if using untreated water.

Once the 5 minutes is up place the pot on the ground and cover it.

Then turn up the stove and place the Ti cup on the burner. I think it is a better idea to turn the stove up first as this reduces the chance of spilling the cup. As the water is heating open up the MH package. Bring the cup to a boil.

Dump the hot water into the open zipper pocket with the raspberry mix. Be careful to remove the moisture pack first. Stir and place closed pouch next to the Ti kettle. Let sit as the coffee is being made.

Add water to the empty Ti cup and bring to a boil or simmer. Toss in the coffee packet. Remove the cup from the burner and turn off the fuel. Let sit for a few minutes to brew. During this time add the chocolate crumb component of the MH.

Remove the coffee packet and add the powdered milk and sugar. Enjoy your backpacker stove meal.

The final step is cleanup. This should be done fairly quickly to avoid food being dried onto your cookware. Fill both containers a little under ¼ with water and add maybe a drop of camp soap if available. Use some TP or napkin to aid in the cleanup. I have also employed a little piece of Brillo pad or even a leaf. Dump the grey water away from camp to keep critters away. Then add a small amount of water to clear out any remaining soap.

Place all trash in the MH bag and zipper it up to keep odors down. Place bag in tree away from camp as not to draw in any undesirable critters. The total calorie count is nearly 1400. The whole process is very fast. On the down side this can be a bit taxing on the water reserve. I measured about 32 oz used for the dinner and clean up. But the majority of this water is consumed. Some people question caffeinated drinks when out in the back country but I am addicted to coffee. However someone could substitute water for the coffee.

Breakfast.

For breakfast I consume the following items.

1. Two oatmeal packets. Calories 260.
2. Powdered milk multiple servings. Total calories 300.
3. Coffee, powdered milk, Sugar. Total calories 100.

The cooking process is similar to dinner. Pre fill both the kettle 1/3rd full and the cup 7/8th with water. Someone could add varying amounts of water to the kettle depending on how thick they want the oatmeal. Place kettle on stove first than turn on high to bring water to a boil or simmer.

Once heated take kettle off the campstove and add both oatmeal and powdered milk.

The coffee procedures remain the same. Enjoy your breakfast.

Clean up the cook post using pre mentioned procedures and pack up the cookware and stove. The empty oatmeal pouch makes for a nice cleaning pad.
Place remaining trash inside the same MH zipped pouch from the night before. Everything will fit just fine.

That is my camp meal methodology. Sometimes I mix it up with new things but the basic methods are similar. Breakfast takes about 20 oz of water but like dinner most of this is consumed. Both meals are easy to make, cheap and very packable.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Gunny

Re: Camp meal Part 2. 56k warning.

Post by Gunny » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:10 am

Yay first post :)

WW your post actually made my stomach rumble, time for a midnight snack.

What do you do with your trash after you break camp usually?

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:20 am

Mmm...

Gonna have to keep this in mind when I go out in August.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

Valekhai

Post by Valekhai » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:28 am

+1 on the raspberry crumble. It's my preferred camping dessert.
I'm guarding the hooooouuuuuse.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:32 am

Gunny wrote:Yay first post :)

I either burn or pack it out depending on the area.

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:47 am

Woods Walker wrote:
Gunny wrote:Yay first post :)

I either burn or pack it out depending on the area.
A resealable ziploc type bag is great for packing this stuff out. You can crush it down to minimum size and then go further by removing all of the air from the zip bag. That helps with odors if you have to pack it out and it also makes a tidy package in case you need to set up a bear bag. Toss it in the bear bag and throw it in the tree ... no fuss and mess to get all over everything and no wasting water to clean it first.

I really like the Lo Mein type stuff from Lipton. Depending on the flavor and how many people you are feeding you can piece it out further with canned shrimp, crab, loster, etc. That stuff really smells though so I tend to be careful when and where I use it. Some rehydrated veggies can also bulk that packaged stuff up as well. I've been known to go through over a gallon of dried broccoli on a single camping trip because of the way my kids will eat it. If this is one of your first meals out, then you could even throw in some fresh carrot matchsticks (fancy grated style) for extra crunch and satisfaction.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:53 pm

Kathy

I really like the packets of chicken or beef jerky better. I only used tuna as this is what was left inside my pack. Sometimes packets of crab, shrimp or tuna can overpower the whole meal.

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:02 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Kathy

I really like the packets of chicken or beef jerky better. I only used tuna as this is what was left inside my pack. Sometimes canned crab, shrimp or tuna can overpower the whole meal.
Yeah, it can also be too rich for some types of hiking treks. My hubby really likes seafood though and this is a good change up for him at a base camp. Me, not so much the crab and lobster. The really small cocktail shrimp isn't too bad though. And actually if you do one of the Zatarin quickie mixes, they go really well.

A friend of mine makes a stuffed hush puppy sort of thing that is similar to a crab roll. She uses powdered eggs with her packaged hush puppy mix or gets a mix that is add-water-only. Its really good at a beach or lake camp.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:32 pm

I have only had the MH meals , I will have to try one of the desserts soon, I often find myself craving sweets when camping.
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:17 pm

Kathy in FL wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:Kathy

I really like the packets of chicken or beef jerky better. I only used tuna as this is what was left inside my pack. Sometimes canned crab, shrimp or tuna can overpower the whole meal.
Yeah, it can also be too rich for some types of hiking treks. My hubby really likes seafood though and this is a good change up for him at a base camp. Me, not so much the crab and lobster. The really small cocktail shrimp isn't too bad though. And actually if you do one of the Zatarin quickie mixes, they go really well.

A friend of mine makes a stuffed hush puppy sort of thing that is similar to a crab roll. She uses powdered eggs with her packaged hush puppy mix or gets a mix that is add-water-only. Its really good at a beach or lake camp.
Sounds great. :D

cybrus

Post by cybrus » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:08 am

I'm heading out tomorrow morning for an overnighter - just me and the dog. I'll definitely be trying some of these recipes!
If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane

Tactical Raccoon
BANNED

Post by Tactical Raccoon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:41 am

Awesome post as usual Woods Walker.

I have a question though what portion size is the Mt. House Raspberry Crumb? 1 Person? 2 Person? 4 Person?

It seems like a hell of a lot of calories for a one person meal, but that is a good thing during a survival situation!
Forum nazi's control in effect...

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:12 pm

Tactical Raccoon wrote:Awesome post as usual Woods Walker.

I have a question though what portion size is the Mt. House Raspberry Crumb? 1 Person? 2 Person? 4 Person?

It seems like a hell of a lot of calories for a one person meal, but that is a good thing during a survival situation!
I think it was 2-4 but not certain. I need to get more. :D Anyways I ate the whole thing myself and will do so again. :oops:

Return to “Eats and Drinks”