Vitamin Deficiencies

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NapTime

Vitamin Deficiencies

Post by NapTime » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:38 am

Some of the information on vitamin deficiencies is elsewhere in here, but I thought it might be nice to get a collection going. I'll start with what I've got.

MayoClinic.com says the signs of vitamin deficiency anemia are:
* Pale skin
* Sore mouth and tongue
* Shortness of breath
* Loss of appetite
* Diarrhea
* Numbness or tingling in your hands and feet
* Muscle weakness
* Mental confusion or forgetfulness
It's caused by a lack of iron, vitamin B-12, folate and/or vitamin C. You need all of them to make and maintain red blood cells.

Iron - eating nails won't help you here.
The good news is, there's Iron in whole wheat, potato skins, leafy veggies, beans, legumes, and meat. Go nuts.

Vitamin B-12 - Occurs naturally only in animal products (eggs, milk, meat)
You can also suffer from a deficiency by way of chronic intestinal infestation by the fish tapeworm Diphyllobothrium
If you're eating animals, and the fishy ones are cooked first, you shouldn't have a problem. Those of you planning on staying vegan after TSHTF better pack your b12 supplements.

Scurvy / Vitamin C deficiency.
Vitamin C is in citrus fruits, to be sure, but if you can't store/grow them, there are other options.
Sauerkraut kept the Dutch sailors from getting scurvy, rose hips are full of vitamin C, and tea brewed with 1/4 cup of pine needles has all the vitamin C you need for the day. If you are morally opposed to NOT eating animals, there's as much vitamin C in raw calf liver as there is in dried lime. You lose a lot if you fry the liver, but if you boil it you can keep the vitamin C. Oh the wonders of wikipedia...

Folate is the name for Vitamin B-9.
You can find it in leafy veggies, peas and beans. Most fortified grains in the US have B-9 in them.

Rickets!
Rickets is caused by a lack of vitamin D, which prevents calcium uptake into the bones. It makes your bones weaken and bend, and while it's mostly an issue for infants, rickets can cause bone pain, bone weakening, dental problems, and muscle weakness. You get your Vitamin D by being in the sun, kiddies. Redheads need less time in the sun than the rest of us, but we all just need to get outside. For anyone planning on mole-people-ing it, there's Vitamin D in Cod and Halibut Liver Oil, but unless you have a way to catch a lot of cod and drain the oil from their livers in your bunker, I'd suggest a stockpile. You can get cod liver oil at any health food store, probably uncapsulated in bulk if you look hard enough or online.

Vitamin A deficiency causes you to go blind, night blindness first, real blindness soon after.
Vitamin A is in all animal products, as well as carrots, leafy veggies, pumpkin, and others. Stock some dehydrated carrots if you're planning on living on literally just rice and beans. Massive consumption of alcohol can prevent Vitamin A uptake, so mix your whiskey with carrots and pumpkin pie.

Zinc deficiency - symptoms include hair loss, skin lesions, diarrhea, and wasting of body tissues. Fun!
You can find zinc in oysters, and to a far lesser degree in most animal proteins, beans, nuts, almonds, whole grains, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. A turkey's neck and beef's chuck or shank also contain good amounts of zinc.

Magnesium deficiency is another one linked to alcoholism (30% of alcoholics in fact), and overuse of diuretics, like coffee or tea. Magnesium is crucial to the cells of every living creature ever, so if you're eating, and you're not eating rocks, you're getting your Magnesium. If you experience weakness, muscle cramps, cardiac arrhythmia, or tremors, and think it's magnesium deficiency, cut back on the booze and coffee.

Chromium deficiency is only seen in hospital patients on all fluid diets, so don't worry about THAT.

Alcoholism also causes Thiamine (B1) deficiencies, which screw up your memory, so that's another strike against drinking your way through the zombocalypse. Actually, same goes for all B vitamins, so moderation is your best bet. Multivitamins won't help, because it prevents the absorption.

Lack of Vitamin B-3 can cause diarrhea, rashes, dementia, and death (within 4 years). Luckily, you can make B-3 from tryptophan, which is in all animal products' protein, as well as other places. The only people who suffer from this disorder (pellagra) are those who live almost exclusively on corn. B-3 is in most diets, even vegetarian ones, it's just that corn has very little B-3 OR tryptophan.

Did I miss anything?

kir

Re: Vitamin Deficiencies

Post by kir » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:00 pm

I don't have anything to add as I am unschooled in this field, but I wanted to extend my thanks for collecting this info. It is very helpful to me.
What is ZS and what are the ZS forums?

Doctorr Fabulous: "This is probably gonna ruffle some feathers, so I'll be blunt. Not everything on the internet is true."
crypto: "The internet is big, there's a lot of stuff to read. You gotta set priorities."
jamoni: Life is the only game going. I play to win.

Daithi

Post by Daithi » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:15 am

Great post, thanks.

I wanted to ask anyone who knew. I have a friend who is a total health freak who said that spinach (SPINACH!!!), of all veggies actually robs you of iron. It has a lot of iron in it yes, but it somehow prevents absorption or some such. Sounds crazy to me but has anyone heard of this?

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:35 am

NapTime wrote: Vitamin B-12 - Occurs naturally only in animal products (eggs, milk, meat)
You can also suffer from a deficiency by way of chronic intestinal infestation by the fish tapeworm Diphyllobothrium
If you're eating animals, and the fishy ones are cooked first, you shouldn't have a problem. Those of you planning on staying vegan after TSHTF better pack your b12 supplements.
B-12 is actually produced by bacteria. Animals other than humans ingest it by eating contaminated plants, and the bacteria take up residence in their guts and make more. It also takes a LONG time for your body to use up its B-12 stores (good news for people who become vegetarians as adults). Still, it's a good idea to have some supplements or eat an occasional egg or bit of cheese.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:09 am

Towanda, thanks for that post. Until then I was totally horrified that no B-12 equals tapeworm. TAPEWORM! geebus. :) and we'd all be wandering around PAW with freekin tapeworm.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Urban Core

Post by Urban Core » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:15 am

Awesome post, thanks man!

+1
UrbanCore
"Guns don't kill people. They bring people back to life. As zombies. The *zombies* kill people."
Plannin' Man wrote:
Brash wrote: I'll be making wine. Fruit doesn't fight back. :D
You've obviously never startled a Watermelon.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:44 pm

Daithi wrote:Great post, thanks.

I wanted to ask anyone who knew. I have a friend who is a total health freak who said that spinach (SPINACH!!!), of all veggies actually robs you of iron. It has a lot of iron in it yes, but it somehow prevents absorption or some such. Sounds crazy to me but has anyone heard of this?
Not quite. Spinach is high in oxalic acid, which can somewhat lower the rate at which the iron and calcium in raw spinach is absorbed by your body. The amount of lowered iron and calcium absorption is not statistically significant, though. You might -- might -- have long-term problems if you are a raw foodist who eats a LOT of spinach. Otherwise, as long as you have no unusual digestive ailments and eat a balanced diet including both raw and cooked greens it shouldn't be an issue.

So, the oxalic acid in raw spinach will very slightly lower your body's ability to absorb the iron and calcium in it. Raw spinach will not rob additional iron or calcium from your system. I plan to keep eating raw spinach because I find it yummy. :)

See here for a study on this very subject.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Daithi

Post by Daithi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:53 pm

Towanda wrote:
Daithi wrote:Great post, thanks.

Not quite. Spinach is high in oxalic acid, which can somewhat lower the rate at which the iron and calcium in raw spinach is absorbed by your body. The amount of lowered iron and calcium absorption is not statistically significant, though. You might -- might -- have long-term problems if you are a raw foodist who eats a LOT of spinach. Otherwise, as long as you have no unusual digestive ailments and eat a balanced diet including both raw and cooked greens it shouldn't be an issue.

So, the oxalic acid in raw spinach will very slightly lower your body's ability to absorb the iron and calcium in it. Raw spinach will not rob additional iron or calcium from your system. I plan to keep eating raw spinach because I find it yummy. :)

See here for a study on this very subject.

Great! Thank you much for letting me know.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:44 am

So, as a general preventative, stash a basic multivitamin in your BOL.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Return to “Eats and Drinks”