Homemade Instant Oatmeal

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

GeneralDiscontent

Homemade Instant Oatmeal

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Mon May 26, 2008 5:05 pm

Hey all -

My fiancee likes to eat oatmeal for breakfast, but isn't crazy about all the preservatives in store-bought instant oatmeal. Tonight she decided to by a container of rolled oats and make her own. All you need to do is add some salt and powder some of the oats in a food processor:

Here's the recipe:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instant Oatmeal

3 C Quick-Cooking Oats
Salt
8 Plastic Sandwich Bags

Powder the 1 C. of oats in a food processor.

Into each sandwich bag put

1/4 C. unpowdered oats
2 Tbsp powdered oats
scant 1/4 tsp salt.

Store in a box or airtight container.

To serve: Empty packet into a bowl. Add 2/3 c milk or water. (Add more or less depending on how you like the consistency). Microwave for 2 minutes, stir.

Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal
To each packet add 1 T. sugar, 1/4 t. cinnamon, and 2T. chopped dried apples.

Sweetened Oatmeal
To each packet add 1 T. sugar

Cinnamon-Spice Oatmeal
To each packet add 1 T. sugar, 1/4 t. cinnamon, and a scant 1/8 t. nutmeg.

Oatmeal with Raisins and Brown Sugar
To each packet add 1 T. packed brown sugar and 1 T. raisins.

Wheat Germ Oatmeal
To each packet add 2 T. any kind of wheat germ

Fruit and Cream
To each packet add 1T. dry milk and 2T dried fruit or fresh fruit after cooking or jam.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We store the baggies in a tupperware container in the pantry:

We keep an assortment of dehydrated fruit on hand, which is great for adding to the oatmeal:

(coconut, strawberries, apples, bananas)

Cost comparison - The store-bought instant oatmeal (generic/store brand) is $2.00 for 10 single-serving packets. Rolled oats are $2.00 for 15 cups, which makes 40 servings.

Ingredient comparison:

Store bought - Rolled oats, sugar, dehydrated fruit, sodium sulfite, sulfur dioxide, natural flavors, salt, calcium carbonate, guar gum, spices, citirc acid, ferric orthophosphate, malic acid, vitamin a palminate, niacinamide, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid.

Our homemade - oats, salt, fruit. :lol:
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Re: Homemade Instant Oatmeal

Post by andygates » Mon May 26, 2008 5:21 pm

That's a keeper. Great stuff.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Tue May 27, 2008 9:47 am

I do this a lot. You can get very creative with the flavorings if you are so inclined.

You can also do a similar mix 'em up kind of thing to make packets of instant grits - flavored or unflavored.

If anyone like butter in their oatmeal or their grits, a product called Butter Buds is a good way to get it in your packets.

And, if you want to add fruit to your oatmeal, but don't have any fresh or dried on hand ... just make up plain instant oatmeal and add jam, preserves, or marmalade to taste. If you want a fruit & cream type mix you can also add either coffee creamer (flavored or not) or powdered milk.

You can get as creative as you want with this type of thing. One of my kids favorite holiday treats is apples and cinnamon oatmeal ... but instead of using powdered cinnamon they throw in those Red Hots.

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:48 am

Mmmmm... oatmeal.

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Wed May 28, 2008 5:54 am

great post! I love oatmeal and am always looking for new things to do with it.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Wed May 28, 2008 11:57 am

If you like peaches 'n cream oatmeal use dried peaches and amaretto flavored coffee creamer in your oatmeal. Its really good.

sdg

Post by sdg » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Thread resurrection: Anyone have any idea how well do these keep? Shelf life?

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:11 am

sdg wrote:Thread resurrection: Anyone have any idea how well do these keep? Shelf life?
We've never had a problem and I know we've eaten some that were in the pantry for well over a year. i would guess the oats will keep pretty much indefinitely, if you add stuff it probably varies according to what it is / how well it's dehydrated.
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

Return to “Eats and Drinks”