Camp meal. Nothing special.

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:23 pm

Here is my normal camp meal. It’s not mama’s cooking but is high calorie, lightweight, easy to pack and cheap. Goes without saying any stove would work but if using my wood stove for heat than that is my preference.

1. Lipton side dish. Beans and rice but other side dishes work. I tend to avoid anything with powdered cheese type sauce. These have a bit more calories but they tend to burn much easier.

2. Olive oil. You can use packets or in this case a few ounces in a small canteen

3. Granola type bar.

4. Powdered milk.

5. Coffee with two sugars or hot coco.

6. Spiced Cider.

7. Pack of cooked chicken. Beef jerky or anything like that is good too.

I fill the cook pot and cup with water and bring it to a simmer leaving enough room for the food to be mixed in.

Mix in the side dish and olive oil. I normally use ½ oz of oil.

Cut the chicken up and then add to the mix.

Keep cook pot at a simmer or boil and still occasionally. Normally it will be done in 7-12 minutes.

Let sit of another few minutes with lid for thickening than enjoy.

Sometime during the later stages of cooking the main dish check the cup. It should be boiling or at the very least simmering. Or if using a normal camp stove put the cup on as the main dish thickens.

Make your cup of coffee, coco, tea or spiced cider. Whatever floats your boat. Side it off to the warming tray or ground if you don’t have one.

This meal will not win any awards at the country fair but sure beats Mountain House or MREs in my view. The downside being this takes more time and work.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:03 am

Damn Woods, I'd happily turn up at chow time at your camp anytime. 8)
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:11 am

I'm with you 100%, I put together the same setup for a whole days worth of food. It's cheaper than the store bought stuff and tastes better, plus I know I'm getting the same calories every day and not over eating. The hot drinks are important for morale IMO. Now I need to look into having more variety in the daily menu. I use instant mashed potatoes now in place of the rice side dish you have, I'll have to see how the size and calories compare. Here's mine vac-sealed. (CZ-52 for size)

Miles

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:46 am

Frankly, MH and other such meals are too expensive for my family of seven. And they don't go very far after a long day of hiking or other outdoorsy activity ... at least in my personal experience.

I'm a "it looks good so toss it together" kinda cook as well. Suits my family's tastes better too.

Hey, is that a rocket stove you are cooking on by any chance? I've thought about building one. They have a video of how to build one at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3830833401 and they look like very good options for low-fuel cooking.

That German Guy

Post by That German Guy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:57 am

milesdzyn wrote:The hot drinks are important for morale IMO.
Seconded. This is the reason why I carry about half a pound of honest-to-FSM tea leaves in my BOB. I can boil water all I kneed (what with the hobo cooker and all), so that stuff can really come in handy.
SMoAF wrote:We all ended up moving in together at one point, and I paid our rent in guns.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:57 am

Good post. Thanks!

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:40 pm

Kathy in FL wrote:Frankly, MH and other such meals are too expensive for my family of seven. And they don't go very far after a long day of hiking or other outdoorsy activity ... at least in my personal experience.

I'm a "it looks good so toss it together" kinda cook as well. Suits my family's tastes better too.

Hey, is that a rocket stove you are cooking on by any chance? I've thought about building one. They have a video of how to build one at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3830833401 and they look like very good options for low-fuel cooking.
Lipsmackin' Backpackin' and Vegetarian Lipsmackin' Backpackin' are two great cookbooks on how to assemble camp meals from grocery-store ingredients. You have to do your own measuring, mixing, and bagging at home. For most of the recipes, all you have to do on the trail is add hot water and sometimes wrap the result in a tortilla or spread it on a cracker.

A lot of the recipes end up with a really high sodium content, so when I'm shopping for ingredients I try to find low-sodium versions. YMMV.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:49 pm

I really like Lip Smakin' Backpackin' but I didn't know they made a vegetarian version. I'll have to look for it.

Another one that I really like is Freezer Bag Cooking. Kinda similar except that the recipes in the freeze bag book are really pared down. There is a website for the freezer bag cooking that is worth checking out. I keep hearing that the author is going to put out a volume two but I haven't seen a publish date for it yet.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:40 pm

What, no pesto, sub sandwich, or chicken quesadilla? :)
BTW, that spiced cider mix is the AWESOME. I had some at wintergeddon, and was sad like sad that I only brought 3 packets of it.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:53 pm

What, no pound of fried chicken or fresh pineapples?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:28 am

Interesting. I just love that stove. Someday.....
DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:25 am

Kathy.

No that is a tent stove. I have never seen anything like the rocket stove and I have made my share of wood stoves of nearly every type. This stove has some of the traits of a HOBO with the advantage of bottom feeding. Thanks for posting the link. I really enjoy learning something new. :D

Towanada.

I tend to crave higher salt content when in the field. Especially in summer so for me salty is a plus. Normally everyday pre packaged food is so salty it is hard to eat. Guessing this is done to cover up the fact it is trash.

Jamoni.

Yea the spiced cider mix rocks. Had to work today but went on a short 2.5 mile dusk/dark night hike. Boiled up a cup of water during a small rest and oh man It was good.

Crypto.

Want more options. Ok here you go.

On special today only is fresh brown trout with a succulent side of buttered red potatoes with red onions.

If trout is not to your liking you could go with the lamp chops.

The house special is pirogues. Frozen than boiled and cooked in butter.

For a vegetarian menu we have zucchini cooked in olive oil. With a complimentary cup of tea.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:01 am

Pirogues .... one of my favortie things in the world when it is cold outside. That and keilbasa!
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:24 am

Looks goooood. You eat well. I've been doing 'minimal' for too long.
Q. Is that a non-stick pan?
Q. How do you clean all of that? Home later?

Kathy- thanks for the link. I want to try something with maybe a .50 cal. ammo can. Hmmmmm. I'm sure I'll screw it up and you'll never hear about. 8)

I'm going to hang out here more often.
Thanks.
DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:20 pm

With my wife and I one of the things we look forward to the most before a trip is the opportunity to try new meals...

Of late our favorite has been Green Curry.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:38 pm

DK

The pan is a non stick Evernew Ti. But this tends to be non stick in name only. Ti and to a greater extent Al tends to stick. Stainless is far easier to clean. However one reason why I tend to like wood powered stoves be they a tent or Hobo is unlimited renewable fuel. This means I can boil the pots or pans clean. Just a drop of biodegradable camp soap and put it on for maybe 15 minutes. Scrap with the spork and it will become clean. If staying out longer there is no going home to clean these pots. Dirty pots attract the wrong type of attention. Even when boiled clean I air out the tent and hang the pots from a tree about 100 feet from my camp. Learned this the hard way a few times.

During summer if using a fossil fuel based system I use river sand or my scrub cloth.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:49 pm

We should change the name from Zombie Squad to "Woods Walker Club." :)
Now I'm HUNGRY!
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:26 pm

Great answer. Thanks for taking the time. I've picked up a lot from you. I'm still toying (in my head) with that Jet stove Kathy had the link to.

I spend more time in the NV desert than the Sierras and water has been an issue but it will force me to do more map recon to find the water so I can eat better, etc.

Thanks again,
DK

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:44 am

WW, Must have been some mighty tough veggies if you had to keep your pistol out for them ;)

Gunny

Re: Camp meal. Nothing special.

Post by Gunny » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:13 am

Look for WW"s recipe to debut in an upcoming ZSS Feed article which should debut in the next several updates.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Camp meal. Nothing special.

Post by bacpacjac » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Super thread necro, but it's one of Woodswalker's so does anybody really mind? ;)

Woods, I'm curious how you transport the perogies. Do you take them in frozen?
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Return to “Eats and Drinks”