I want to spend $100 on rice, black beans and...? Need help locating it.

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

I want to spend $100 on rice, black beans and...? Need help locating it.

Post by moab » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:21 pm

Where should I buy 50lbs each of black beans and rice? Links please? I've been looking thru Costco online. And not finding to much. Same with Amazon. I found rice on amazon. But not sure which one I should buy. Same with black beans. I'd like to either pick this stuff up this week. Or have it ordered and delivered.

Also considering my budget - what else should I buy? Accompanying foods and our spices please. I'll purchase buckets and mylar at a later date to store this stuff. Right now I just want to get it to my house asap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We live next to LAX so it seems only a matter of time before we are hit with Coronavirus issues.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Re: I want to spend $100 on rice, black beans and...? Need help locating it.

Post by moab » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:37 pm

I found a Winco near me. Which sells a lot of bulk foods. My family prefers brown rice. Any problem with that? Long or short?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:30 pm

Check SMART & FINAL I think there was one in in Marina Del Rey . I know there was one on PCH in Torrance . Just north of Crenshaw

ETA MDR either closed or I was mistaken. Closest to you
Redondo Beach - S PCH #938
1516 S PACIFIC COAST HWY
REDONDO BEACH, CA, 90277
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

moab

Post by moab » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:46 pm

flybynight wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:30 pm
Check SMART & FINAL I think there was one in in Marina Del Rey . I know there was one on PCH in Torrance . Just north of Crenshaw

1516 S PACIFIC COAST HWY
REDONDO BEACH, CA, 90277
What should I buy?

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:55 pm

Go to a hispanic market. Big bags of white rice and pinto beans. Super cheap.

Pick up a big jug of oil while you're at it and salt. May not be the tastiest, but you can live a long time on a hundred bucks of that. Most hispanic markets will have bags of dried spices cheap too. Onion and garlic powder, cumin and black pepper will go a long way towards making beans taste good...

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:24 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:46 pm
flybynight wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:30 pm

1516 S PACIFIC COAST HWY
REDONDO BEACH, CA, 90277
What should I buy?
That's up to you Smart & final sells bulk . How are you going to store it? CHeck Major surplus to see if they have Mylar bags. Otherwise buy them off Amazon. When I looked up the addy for Smart & final they showed the Redondo beach store selling brown rice in 24 lb bags for about $17. Could not see black beans in any size other than a three lbs. But That doesn't mean they don't have it. They cater to restaurant supply and people who like to buy bulk. They also sell stuff like water, soda, candy, spices ect. by the case. And some cooking and storage equipment.

If they don't have what you want, try any oriental mkt or Latino stores. Varrarta, Ect. Check Trader Joes.

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:36 pm

Bummer that S&F is a W. coast thing.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:09 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:36 pm
Yeah that definitely is a perk of living in a major city. When we moved here, one of my buddies helped drive one of the moving trucks. He said he could never live here Cause if at two am he decided to buy a alternator for his truck. And pick up a pint of goldstone ice cream to eat while working on the truck...... He could. In L A that is.

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:37 pm

Sams, Walmart any restaurant supply house all will have rice.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/mm-lg-white- ... roduct_1_4
A 50 lb sack @ $17

Red beans @ $6 for 4 lbs
https://www.samsclub.com/p/camellia-red ... lbs/155918

Canned Chicken Breast
https://www.samsclub.com/p/mm-canned-ch ... roduct_1_3

Spagetti/pasta
DAK Ham
spagetti sauce
canned green beans (a veg with enough water in can tio cook it)

moab

Post by moab » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:56 pm

raptor wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:37 pm
Sams, Walmart any restaurant supply house all will have rice.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/mm-lg-white- ... roduct_1_4
A 50 lb sack @ $17

Red beans @ $6 for 4 lbs
https://www.samsclub.com/p/camellia-red ... lbs/155918

Canned Chicken Breast
https://www.samsclub.com/p/mm-canned-ch ... roduct_1_3

Spagetti/pasta
DAK Ham
spagetti sauce
canned green beans (a veg with enough water in can tio cook it)
Great ideas. Wish I could find that rice at Costco. I don't belong to Sams Club. Winco had penne pasta CHEAP. I didn't think about sauce. lol. Canned chicken breast is a good one too.

We have a lot of canned goods in our pantry. But most are ingredients for soups and such. Things I could add to the rice and beans. But that would get old fast.

Thanks for all these thoughtful replies guys.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:08 pm

flybynight wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:09 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:36 pm
Yeah that definitely is a perk of living in a major city. When we moved here, one of my buddies helped drive one of the moving trucks. He said he could never live here Cause if at two am he decided to buy a alternator for his truck. And pick up a pint of goldstone ice cream to eat while working on the truck...... He could. In L A that is.
My mother has S&F and Winco near her. And her opinion is Winco is way cheaper and sells even more bulk items. And their website is very helpful in that manner too. You can see all their bulks items with prices etc. etc. But I'll check S&F too.

Thank you to Confucius too. For that tip on oil and salt. I was thinking other spices too. I'm a terrible cook. But my wife makes recipes all the time.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:16 pm

Full disclosure here - S&F's rice and beans is a bit cheaper than Winco.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:21 am

Rice & Beans DO get old. Spices help a LOT. Vegitables and even fruits and especially meats help. My experience was getting different types of rice and different types of beans help change the texture and some of the flavor. And making small quantities at a time for 1-2 days is helpful. Eating something for 4 days in a row because you made a lot and wanted to spend less time cooking is not a good idea. Not in my experience.

Variety is pretty key. Vary something every time. And if you drink coffee, you might want to have an extra can around?

Oh, and making enough of 2 "foods" for 4 days each and switching between them only goes so far in my experience.

Flour, oil, and making bannock or other quick breads can be very cheap and a nice change of pace.

I mostly lived on a long term food storage diet for around a year. Maybe longer. I supplemented heavily with a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. But by the end I was hitting some psychological limits on my diet and the way I was carrying it out.

EDIT: I should mention, I chose to go mostly with rice and lentils. The cook times are fairly close for standard white rice and both red and brown lentils. On paper, "about 20 minutes." This means more efficient use of resources and less cooking complications. But I have a bunch of different beans stored and now multiple types of rice stored. My rice/lentils mix is my "easy button." But I really like variety now, which I've stated a bunch above.

Split peas are another great buy!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:51 am

S&F had slightly cheaper beans and rice. Like 20 cents cheaper overall. But Winco has 214 bulk items for sale. Far greater than anyplace else I've found. And for fairly good prices. https://www.wincofoods.com/shop#/?page= ... ser_tags=1

I'll take your advice Woodsghost. Variety. And thanks for the coffee tip. I had not thought of that. Costco coffee is the best imho. And cheap.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:29 am

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:21 am

EDIT: I should mention, I chose to go mostly with rice and lentils. The cook times are fairly close for standard white rice and both red and brown lentils. On paper, "about 20 minutes." This means more efficient use of resources and less cooking complications. But I have a bunch of different beans stored and now multiple types of rice stored. My rice/lentils mix is my "easy button." But I really like variety now, which I've stated a bunch above.

Split peas and red beans cooked with the canned DAK ham improves the flavor of both the beans and the ham. The ham is salty and the beans & rice need salt so the 2 cooked together improve both. Unless water and fuel to cook it is in short supply; I suggest that you cook the beans separately from the rice with bell peppers, onions and bay leaves in as little water as you can get away with and then use that as a broth to go on the rice.

Also some basic spices like vinegar will also improve the flavor post cooking.

The canned chicken is bland as is so cooking it with beans will also improve the flavor. However in all cases use the water cooked with the beans to make a broth.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:50 am

raptor wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:29 am
woodsghost wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:21 am

Split peas and red beans cooked with the canned DAK ham improves the flavor of both the beans and the ham. The ham is salty and the beans & rice need salt so the 2 cooked together improve both. Unless water and fuel to cook it is in short supply; I suggest that you cook the beans separately from the rice with bell peppers, onions and bay leaves in as little water as you can get away with and then use that as a broth to go on the rice.

Also some basic spices like vinegar will also improve the flavor post cooking.

The canned chicken is bland as is so cooking it with beans will also improve the flavor. However in all cases use the water cooked with the beans to make a broth.
This is what I was looking for. Thanks.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:00 am

A lInk to great beans and rice recipe from a NOLA purveyor of red beans. Note they sell red beans so these recipes tend to be bean heavy if you reduce the beans by 1/2 they are still good.

Red beans and rice with basically anything is a NOLA Monday specialty city wide. Camelia Brand beans are the go to source for beans.

https://www.camelliabrand.com/recipes/? ... gL2K_D_BwE

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:51 pm

You are going to find that Publix when they are BOGO Is going to be your cheapest option.

But why beans? In fact that is how I get tomato sauce and pasta cheaper than I can make it. Pasta works out to $.44 a pound and brand name sauce is about $1.10 a jar locally when bought BOGO. There are 1250 calories in a pound of pasta and 32 ounce jar of sauce varies but is about 300-400 a jar. That is your entire allotment of calories for the day for about $1.50. Throw a little venison in there and you are living well.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:09 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:51 pm
You are going to find that Publix when they are BOGO Is going to be your cheapest option.

But why beans? In fact that is how I get tomato sauce and pasta cheaper than I can make it. Pasta works out to $.44 a pound and brand name sauce is about $1.10 a jar locally when bought BOGO. There are 1250 calories in a pound of pasta and 32 ounce jar of sauce varies but is about 300-400 a jar. That is your entire allotment of calories for the day for about $1.50. Throw a little venison in there and you are living well.
I bought a bunch of Hunts pasta sauce . Traditional and meat in can's for .85 cents a can at wally world today,

John Titor was right

moab

Post by moab » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:25 pm

Stercutus wrote:

I don't know that I've ever seen a Publix. But I'll check. EDIT - Ya. Zero stores near me.

I planned on buying some bulk penne from Winco. And IIRC they sold sauce in bulk too. I'll definitely shop around. And I do prefer pasta to beans. But if you take a look at the recipe link above. It's pretty amazing what you can do with beans and rice. But again, prefer pasta. I wonder how long it would last if you made your own and canned it? My mothers sauce is to die for. We make it regularly. And with meat.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:29 pm

raptor wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:00 am
A lInk to great beans and rice recipe from a NOLA purveyor of red beans. Note they sell red beans so these recipes tend to be bean heavy if you reduce the beans by 1/2 they are still good.

Red beans and rice with basically anything is a NOLA Monday specialty city wide. Camelia Brand beans are the go to source for beans.

https://www.camelliabrand.com/recipes/? ... gL2K_D_BwE
I wonder how many recipes I have in my 10gb (or however gigantic it is) prepper files? To bad you can't download a .pdf of all of them in one go.

EDIT - I have about .5 to 1gb of recipes. lol. I have not dug thru them to see how many are for beans and rice or pasta.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:43 am

Living in Cali you should have lots of Mexican and Asian marts. We have Hmart up here I bought 2 bags of 50# rice for less than $30. Pinto beans at the Mexican mart were even cheaper. 2 50# bags for $25.

Winco has lots of bulk spices and foods. But I’ve found dollar stores around me have amazing deals on canned chicken, salmon, tuna, pork, bacon, turkey, etc. literally everything you could think of in perfect 2 person containers for a dollar or less.

Winco has great deals on canned chicken all the time and really good pasta sauce (though I hate pasta).

I also find specialty smaller Mexican stores have great deals on raw meat. Not the best quality but for $1.50# I have been cintemplating canning some of my own in small jars.

Also something that I never through about but realized I buy a ton of, stock. Stock is wonderful especially for soups. So I’ve been saving all my veggie ends and bits to turn into stock, as well as buying bulk meats bone in and then processing them at home. I’ve now got about 30quarts of chicken and veggie stock and continually making more (another 3 gallon batch of both this next week) and it’s only been 2 weeks since I made the last ones?
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:49 am

moab wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:25 pm
Stercutus wrote:

I don't know that I've ever seen a Publix. But I'll check. EDIT - Ya. Zero stores near me.

I planned on buying some bulk penne from Winco. And IIRC they sold sauce in bulk too. I'll definitely shop around. And I do prefer pasta to beans. But if you take a look at the recipe link above. It's pretty amazing what you can do with beans and rice. But again, prefer pasta. I wonder how long it would last if you made your own and canned it? My mothers sauce is to die for. We make it regularly. And with meat.
We've kept home canned spaghetti sauce for three years. But was just meatless sauce as I only have a water bath canner. Someday get a steam canner

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:35 am

flybynight wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:09 pm
Stercutus wrote:

I bought a bunch of Hunts pasta sauce . Traditional and meat in can's for .85 cents a can at wally world today,
I bought some cases of the canned store brand stuff for about that price (I think it was $.92). It is strictly for the PAW though as the taste is not nearly as good as Classico, Barillo, or even Ragu. Come the PAW I will eat it and be happy to get it. Till then it is an emergency supply that will never get used up.

Also the glass jars can be reused for canning and lots of other purposes. All you need are a good stock of lids.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Eats and Drinks”