making your mix bean blends

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

making your mix bean blends

Post by LyraJean » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:01 pm

So I have a lot of bags of dried beans. All different kinds. I was thinking about making my own mixes for bean soup. What kind of ratios would you use? 1 cup of each kind? Would it depend on how many kinds I have? All suggestions are welcome.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Re: making your mix bean blends

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:11 am

Harvest to Table says: Ratio: The basic ratio for dried bean soups is 2 part dried beans (or any dried vegetable) to 3 to 4 parts liquid. For example, 2 cups of dried beans (about 1 pound) added to 4 cups cold water or white stock.

I think this is good. Remember to look 'em and soak 'em.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:47 am

I would think that in general 1 cup of each, depending on how many you have, would work. According to Asymetryczna's ratios, you could do 4 cups of different beans to 8 cups water for a meal for 4-6 people as a main course.

I would maybe mix the bean combinations up for different contrast and flavor. Some bean combos, IMO, taste better together than others. Also depends on what kind of bean soup you want. Do you want it uniformly smooth and broken down at the end or just tender whole beans? If you do similar size beans you will more easily get the former than if you combine kidney beans with navy beans. Also, legumes like lentils take longer to break down.

Color is also a factor, since we eat with our eyes. I wouldnt advise combining something like a kidney bean with a green or yellow split pea if you plan on breaking them down a bit. The final color wouldnt be appetizing

Navy beans, black eyed peas, and cannellini beans make a lovely combo for a more broken down bean soup. The kind you make with a ham hock, shank, or some type of salted pork.

If you had a dehydrator, you could also dehydrate some veg to go in the soup mixes, although the dehydrated veg does lower the shelf life a bit depending on how it is stored.

Sorry for the long reply. I'm a total food and cooking geek and could talk about it forever :D
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:33 pm

https://jillcataldo.com/survivalsoup/
^^
Is one I see tossed about time and again. It's not bad, but needs meat, vegies, etc...

Lots of recipes for 7/10/13/15/XX bean soup, etc.

Only advice - try it first before you prep deep for it, to make sure you like it. :)
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:47 pm

14 bean soup mixes appear to be a 1:1:1:1:... ratio. Any meat added just enough for flavor,(ham being traditional with salt port or bacon secomd), tomatoes carrots celery etc. Add rice or corn bread and you have balanced proteins fats and carbs. With vegetables nutrients all in one meal.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”