Mantis's New 24 Hour Ration Packs

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mantis

Mantis's New 24 Hour Ration Packs

Post by mantis » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:44 pm

A year or two ago, I made up some fairly large ration packs intended to last one person for up to 72 hours. I decided to make up some more kits but this time I wanted kits that would supply one person for 24 hours. I wanted to use primarily items that do not require preparation (other than adding cold or boiling water) and I wanted to create a kit in which everything down to the packaging is used. I have made up several mess kits that include mess tins, KFS, folding drinking cups, hexamine stoves, matches, water purification and seasoning (salt and pepper shakers) and these kits are intended to be used with those mess kits. I wanted to include a variety of items that could be nibbled on throughout the day. My goal was a complete 24 hour kit for < $10. I based the kit on the old WWII British/Commonwealth Composite ration and the modern day British 24 hour ration kit.

This first image shows the contents of the kit:

1 Can SPAM type luncheon meat.
1 Can Lemon Pepper Tuna
1 Can Devilled Ham Spread
2 Packets Instant Oatmeal
1 Cube of Chicken Broth Mix
1 Cube of Beef Broth Mix
2 Packs of cookie/Chocolate dip stick snacks
20 hard candies
1 Package Mackintosh's toffee
1 Package Oceans Creatures Crackers
1 Package Ritz Cheese Crackers
1 Solid Milk Chocolate Dairy Milk Bar
1 Package Juicy Fruit Gum
1 Package Sesame Snaps
2 Packages of Instant Coffee with Creamer and Sugar
1 Package of Instant Hot Chocolate
2 Instant Fruit Punch Drink Mixes
1 Package Shortbread Cookies
1 Package Vegetable Crackers
1 Paper Towel
1 Wet Nap
1 Package Kleenex
2 Packets of Sugar
1 Packet of Salt
1 Packet of Pepper
1 Book of Matches
1 Vial of hand sanitizer
1 Set of Plastic Knife Fork and Spoon.
1 Large heavy duty double zipper freezer bag (for packing the kit in - can be used to collect and hold water)

Each kit - with most items coming from the dollar store costs around $8.50 and due to package sizes they are made in batches of 4 kits at a time. Each of the items has a minimum shelf life of 2 years and they only about as much as a couple of MREs and take up about the same amount of space.

This image shows three of the completed kits.

Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Mantis's New 24 Hour Ration Packs

Post by Halfapint » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Brilliant idea. I LOVE this. Have you looked at how many calories? That seems like a large amount of food and could probably be a 2 day kit no problem. I really like the stupid stuff like the small package of tissues, wet wipes, and things like that.

I am so going to have to do this, and for $9.... that's not bad could probably be made a little cheaper. It's something easy to throw in a crate and keep for a couple years, in case of a small disaster or even as "gifts" to people who might need something like this.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

mantis

Post by mantis » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks for the comments Halfapint. I intentionally went high on the calories - aiming for around 3,000 - assuming that they would be used during a bug out scenario where a lot of walking is taking place. In a bug in scenario they could indeed be stretched out. The dollar store in the place to shop when making these things. Virtually all of that stuff came from the local Dollarama.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:48 pm

I like the fact that you did it for under ten dollars. My own personal daily ration packs run closer to 20!
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:36 pm

Keith B wrote:I like the fact that you did it for under ten dollars. My own personal daily ration packs run closer to 20!

Yeah same. But I can't handle spam.

Mine also needed some cooking. I hit lunch with some two minute noodles and the tuna.

Op.
By the way with the oats and a packet of powdered milk. And mix up the meals or you will go mad.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:22 pm

Awesome. I agree with going hi on calories, it may last longer or feed more - 1 bag has enough for both my kiddos, or one kiddo plus me since I know I can cut back on calories for a couple days & still be pretty active. I need to look into these again.

You mentioned using the packaging too - what had you planned for that ? Use cans to mix oatmeal seems likely, anything else?
drop bear wrote:
Keith B wrote:And mix up the meals or you will go mad.
yeah but these are for a 3-day kit sort of thing. Plus, I've got a kit like it that involves ramen, pop-top chef boyar dee, granola bars, Lipton soup, raisins & a chocolate milk box - it's not less than $10 I don't think - but it's a different meal plan. 4 kits is just 1 kit apiece for a lot of families.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:39 pm

Other things you can do. For the lollies use a eucalyptus/honey. Then you get candy and sore throat relief.

Add some fruit cups.

Maybe switch the chocolate for a muesli bar if you are concerned about melting.
If you are not using the can for something a sachet of food should weigh a bit less.

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:11 am

Nice bit of kit there. The calorie count kicks ass for the size. Competing with the Aussie Hunger Buster ration at a fraction of the cost.

It would be great to add a small can of V8 or similar veggie juice. I just checked one recently purchased in my pantry and the expiration is 2015, so maybe not.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:17 am

Prior input form the hive mind

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=83563

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71211

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=99247

DIY will certainly save you dough and allow to to tailor to your personal tastes.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

mantis

Post by mantis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:24 am

ZombieGranny wrote:Nice kits.
However, are the cans all pop-tops?
I didn't see a can opener listed. If they are for bugging out, you're going to need that. Grinding the edge down on the cement to open a can works, but takes a while and is a bit of a pain.
Good question....the cans are actually all pop tops, however, my mess kits all include their own can opener.

mantis

Post by mantis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:26 am

duodecima wrote:Awesome. I agree with going hi on calories, it may last longer or feed more - 1 bag has enough for both my kiddos, or one kiddo plus me since I know I can cut back on calories for a couple days & still be pretty active. I need to look into these again.

You mentioned using the packaging too - what had you planned for that ? Use cans to mix oatmeal seems likely, anything else?
drop bear wrote:
Keith B wrote:And mix up the meals or you will go mad.
yeah but these are for a 3-day kit sort of thing. Plus, I've got a kit like it that involves ramen, pop-top chef boyar dee, granola bars, Lipton soup, raisins & a chocolate milk box - it's not less than $10 I don't think - but it's a different meal plan. 4 kits is just 1 kit apiece for a lot of families.
The packaging I was referring to was the large heavy duty zip loc bag that contains everything. It is water proof and has a double seal and can be used to store and collect water.

mantis

Post by mantis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:28 am

drop bear wrote:Other things you can do. For the lollies use a eucalyptus/honey. Then you get candy and sore throat relief.

Add some fruit cups.

Maybe switch the chocolate for a muesli bar if you are concerned about melting.
If you are not using the can for something a sachet of food should weigh a bit less.

Good ideas on the lozenges and fruit. I was thinking about some dried fruit as a possibility as well. The can from the SPAM could also be used to heat water in a pinch (was intended that way).

mantis

Post by mantis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:29 am

spanningtree wrote:Nice bit of kit there. The calorie count kicks ass for the size. Competing with the Aussie Hunger Buster ration at a fraction of the cost.

It would be great to add a small can of V8 or similar veggie juice. I just checked one recently purchased in my pantry and the expiration is 2015, so maybe not.
Not a bad idea I was thinking about adding one of those small "energy shot" energy drinks - the one that comes in the little 2" bottle. 5 hour energy I think they call it. They are fairly expensive though and would raise the cost quite a bit.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:47 am

Before Off Topic contributors and their posts are "burned to the ground" as stated by 'The Powers That Be', I have decided to take action and remove the 6,747 unwelcome posts contributed by me in the past 7 years.

My apologies to forum members for any inconvenience this may cause. This is the 4th time it's been threatened and I'm too old and tired to fight it again.
Bless you.
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

mantis

Post by mantis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:37 am

ZombieGranny wrote:Check your dollar store.
Dollar General has some brand of Energy Shot right up at the counter. Dollar each, of course.
Might try one and see if it suits you.

ETA: My daughter came past and she said Dollar Tree sells Rip It. It's in a pop can and fizzes like soda pop.
Dollar General sells Xtra energy in the little bottles like 5-Hour Energy.
Thanks for the info! I'll have to check it out.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:16 pm

Another thing to consider would be pre workout supplement sample packs, and protein packs, generally available for free at your local supplement store.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

mantis

Post by mantis » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Keith B wrote:Another thing to consider would be pre workout supplement sample packs, and protein packs, generally available for free at your local supplement store.
Hadn't thought of that. Great idea.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:53 pm

mantis wrote:
spanningtree wrote:Nice bit of kit there. The calorie count kicks ass for the size. Competing with the Aussie Hunger Buster ration at a fraction of the cost.

Not a bad idea I was thinking about adding one of those small "energy shot" energy drinks - the one that comes in the little 2" bottle. 5 hour energy I think they call it. They are fairly expensive though and would raise the cost quite a bit.
The glucose caffeine sachet thingies that bikers use.

http://www.slanecycles.com/images/zipvi ... urrant.jpg

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:58 pm

For Australia. These ones are pretty epic as a meal.

Darkhunter

Post by Darkhunter » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:52 am

drop bear wrote:

We have those here in Florida. So good.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:49 am

mantis wrote:
Have you thought about getting the energy drink in powdered form to add to a common water bottle? I didn't see water with your packs, but I am assuming that there is water involved sine these are 72 hour packs. The powder will cut down on weight (not much), and you can choose one that is better for you. I added links to the one I use.

Comparison to other drinks in market:
http://www.zipfizz.com/

Pricing from Costco where I purchase:
http://www.costco.com/Zipfizz%C2%AE-Hea ... 37539.html

I have used the orange cream, fruit punch and lemon. None are great tasting, but neither are the 5 hour energy's. I didn't see a noticeable difference in how I felt, but the first time I used a 5 hour energy, I got caffeine shakes a bit. I was really, really tired though. YMMV.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:26 pm

drop bear wrote:

I saw those when I was in Sydney. Am heading back there in a few days. Couldn't find the expiration date though, which is why I didn't buy any.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Honeypot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Serenity

Post by Honeypot » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Shiny project, Mantis! :)
mantis wrote:Not a bad idea I was thinking about adding one of those small "energy shot" energy drinks - the one that comes in the little 2" bottle. 5 hour energy I think they call it. They are fairly expensive though and would raise the cost quite a bit.
Caffeine gum is less of a shock to the system, and much cheaper.

When bought in multi packs (e.g. Amazon), the price comes down a lot.
For example, Stay Alert is $28.00 for 24 packs of 5 pieces each:
http://www.amazon.com/MILITARY-ENERGY-G ... 000J267XS/

Ditto on adding drink mix sticks/packs, the more the better.
Emergen-C has some of the benefits of the expensive "energy drinks", without system shock, and much cheaper.

As always, experiment, and test new stuff at home, first. :)
Pro : cake & pie, Kaywinnet Lee Frye's response to the Apocalypse
Anti: rage trolls, nanny squad, oaf & bigot squad, PAW boys, spammersImage

Return to “Eats and Drinks”