Spring onions

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

supraneurotoxin

Spring onions

Post by supraneurotoxin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:23 pm

Drying a shit-ton of spring onions today. The house smells... great.

I add them liberally to most things you'd add dried chopped onion too. They contribute a nice mild flavor.

That's about 10% of what's currently popped up in the yard so far, not counting the area of the yard the dog has claimed as his own. my next green onion endeavor will be canning onion broth.
I also have a great recipe for Korean BBQ that includes fresh green onion:

KOREAN BBQ SAUCE
1 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. sesame seed oil(EVOO works fine)
1/4 c. water
8 cloves minced garlic
1 bunch chopped green onions
1/4 bunch ginger root, chopped fine
Black pepper
1 c. sugar

Marinate your choice of meat overnight. Pork has worked well for me.

The bulk of the onions however will fall victim to the lawnmower, as there is simply too much to deal with. Who else uses these? Does anyone preserve them? Any tips, tricks or recipes you'd like to share?

Armor76

Re: Spring onions

Post by Armor76 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Are these real onions? Or are they garlic chives? Garlic chives will invade a lawn and become a "weed". I used to live at a place that had a yard full of them. The green leaves are slightly flattened and not really hollow. They smell mostly "oniony" with just a little "garlicky" in the background.

Garlic chives are great in anything that chives or a mild garlic would be good in. We used them on baked potatoes, in soups, on baked chicken. We froze them, never thought of drying them. Great idea!
You are responsible for you.
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off. Gloria Steinem
In most cases, people, even wicked people, are far more naive and simple-hearted than one generally assumes. And so are we.

Lots of good advice/philosophy here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUq6YotwOIo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It really starts at the 40 second mark.

drivepirate

Post by drivepirate » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Ok I have to ask. How did you end up growing so many onions? I only had a few come up this year.

supraneurotoxin

Post by supraneurotoxin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Huh, good question.. I've always known them as wild onion, spring onion, etc. though that's just what we unofficially dubbed them in my family. I've never really questioned it. They always sprout up like weeds everywhere around here, so that would support your hypothesis.
All I know is that they are yummy and haven't killed anyone who's eaten them to date :razz:

Illini Warrior
BANNED

Post by Illini Warrior » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:52 pm

we call them chives up here in the north ..... I use them as early spring flower bed decoration .... they die down with the heat .... they are a great addition to a almost anything you cook ..... super eazy to dry can and preserve
Illini Warrior

supraneurotoxin

Post by supraneurotoxin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:52 pm

drivepirate wrote:Ok I have to ask. How did you end up growing so many onions? I only had a few come up this year.
I wish I had that kind of luck planting things intentionally.. these just grow wild

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:28 am

Spring onions
Harvested

Growing

Chives
Harvested

Growing

That help?
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”