Boxed Wine =)

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Night Errant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shock Waves (1977), Noche De la Terror Ciego (1971)

Boxed Wine =)

Post by Night Errant » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Not the common wine in a plastic bag in a box, but the stuff in aluminumized cardboard cartons. Does anybody have some idea how long the stuff can be expected to remain drinkable? I have some in my food reserve (for the resveratrol of course). The cartons are rather lighter than glass bottles, of course.
"He becomes happy at night
who trusts his journey-provisions;
a ship's sailyards are short;
an autumn-night is changeable.
The weather changes in many ways
in five days,
and more in a month."

- Hávamál

mutineer

Re: Boxed Wine =)

Post by mutineer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:46 am

Tetra paks have a shelf life that comes close to just about any other packaging method

mutineer

Post by mutineer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:47 am

Most wine in a box comes in a Mylar bag which is also absurdly good packaging material.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:31 am

After you drink the wine and flush it out you can use the Mylar for other stuff too. Makes a convenient fresh water dispenser (and garners strange looks).
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

supraneurotoxin

Post by supraneurotoxin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:53 am

I love (certain)boxed wines. If you want to feel classy you can call them "cask wines" ;) We drink dry reds mostly, which are consumed at room temp so its perfectly fine sitting on the bar till someone needs a glass. once opened it keeps for almost a month and a half, which is nice when you buy the 5 liter box.
Wine's biggest enemies are air and contaminates, so a properly sealed, sanitized container should keep almost indefinitely. We're still drinking batches of homemade wine with dates as old as 1979, but of course these are in glass bottles. Wine has a high PH anyway so the chances of spoilage due to contaminates are slim.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:44 am

Cheap Bastard/ Drunkard tip- I don't drink much wine (or boxed wine) however a few years ago I was throwing away an "empty" box after a party when I heard some sloshing around inside. I opened it up and lo there was about three glasses of wine in the folds of the pouch. Every time I have gotten a box since then I always cut it open and get out whatever is in the bottom. It has never been less than a full glass.

The pouches tend to be real sturdy and easy to refill with water too.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Eats and Drinks”