Virtual Blood Drive

Upcoming charity events hosted by Zombie Squad and its Chapters.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:39 am

Ryushi wrote:
nicklefish wrote:I can't donate because I've had two tats in the past 6 months, and I don't think I can wait a whole damn year to get another one. I guess they won't get my blood, even though I'm a willing donor until I'm content with my tat count for a year. I really don't see the big deal about it. I mean, I go to a professional artist with all the right gear (individualy sealed needles, the steam maching thing, so on and so forth).
I was about to donate when I found out about the tattoo thing as well but I was actually at the center so I asked the person why that policy is there. The policy is there because who ever makes the policies believes that there is tattoo ink still in your blood for that first year after you get a tattoo. It has nothing to do with the needles or sanitary concerns.

After she told me this she stated that she thinks it is BS and she hates turning people away for something stupid like that.

That reminds me... I think it has been a year since my last tattoo.
You don't have to wait very long after getting a tattoo or a piercing if you live in a state with decent laws regulationg tattoos and piercings:
http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed ... 0.html#tat
http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed ... 0.html#pie

Missouri is one of them. I don't know about the rest of the country. Not even sure where to look. Anyone know?

Here is the full list if eligibility requirements:
http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed ... 7_,00.html
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:32 am

Did a Whole Blood donation for the ARC's Bryan TX office saturday. That makes 9 or 10 units of whole blood for the ARC thus far.

Musubi

Charity Projects

Post by Musubi » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:10 am

From ARC:
"Cancer
Eligibility depends on the type of cancer and treatment history. If you had leukemia or lymphoma, including Hodgkin’s Disease, you are not eligible to donate."

Well it sucks to be me dang it!

for those that can and do donate YOU GUYS ROCK!

Musubi

Grin Reaper

Post by Grin Reaper » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:12 pm

1 pint of 180 proof Olde Anglo-Saxon was siphoned out of me Monday, at the Gainesville GA Red Cross.
Hey, where's my sticker?

nicklefish

Post by nicklefish » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:24 pm

Well, it's almost been a year since my last tattoo (money can be a bitch, especially when you don't have it) and I'm now waiting for the Bloodmobile to make its fall rounds. I did a little research before coming back to this thread and what I found out, kyle had already posted. Virginia is a regulated state, so it looks like I'd be in the clear no matter what. For those of you who aren't sure if your state is regulated or not, just look for your state's postal abbreviation.
Don't make excuses. Make results.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:45 pm

nicklefish wrote:Well, it's almost been a year since my last tattoo (money can be a bitch, especially when you don't have it) and I'm now waiting for the Bloodmobile to make its fall rounds. I did a little research before coming back to this thread and what I found out, kyle had already posted. Virginia is a regulated state, so it looks like I'd be in the clear no matter what. For those of you who aren't sure if your state is regulated or not, just look for your state's postal abbreviation.
Those are out of date. At least the Missouri ones are.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

nicklefish

Post by nicklefish » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:58 am

The Virginia section seems pretty recent, although there are some new regulations coming into effect July 07. They list the code section for each state where you can find tattoo regulations, so at least it's a starting point. Also, I may have been premature in my saying that Virginia is a regulated state. Virginia lets the localities decided their own involvement, but as far as I know, Blacksburg (where I get inked) regulates their shops pretty extensively. I think there are something like four shops there within a couple miles of one another.
Don't make excuses. Make results.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:08 pm

Bump.

Gave a unit of A- whole blood today at http://www.bloodandtissue.org/index.php the Blood and Tissue center in Austin.

C-mon folks go give some blood and get some free cookies :D

Jawascott

Scheduled

Post by Jawascott » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:47 am

Scheduled an appointment at my local donor center for this coming Tuesday.
The best part about giving blood is getting totally trashed afterwards. :)
It is uncommon to fire all six shots of a revolver with great suddenness when one would probably be sufficient, but many things in the life of Herbert West were uncommon.

Gunny

Re: Scheduled

Post by Gunny » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:23 pm

Jawascott wrote:Scheduled an appointment at my local donor center for this coming Tuesday.
The best part about giving blood is getting totally trashed afterwards. :)
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

*hic*

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Bump.

Go give blood you mooks. It takes 30 minutes, you get free cookies and juice and you save up to 3 lives with one whole blood donation.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:03 pm

gloomy_nymph wrote: WHO SHOULD NOT GIVE BLOOD
You should not give blood if you have:

ever had Creuzfeldt-Jakob Disease, or if any blood relative (parent, grandparent, sibling, aunt, uncle, or child) has or has had it, or been told that your family is at risk for Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
Jesus. CJ Disease is the human version of mad cow disease. The only population group in the world who has more than a one in a billion chance of getting CJD are headhunters in Papua New Guinea. (CJD is transmitted by ingesting the brain/spinal material of another human. You slowly go nuts and eventually die, just like mad cow disease.)

The gay thing is pretty ridiculous, and likely a remnant of the bad old days in the late 70s and early 80s when AIDS was known to doctors as GRID(Gay Related Immune Deficiency) but CJD?? It's not transmittable to anyone in your family unless they EAT YOUR BRAIN. I guess it's ironic that wound up on this forum actually.

Still, ridiculous rules abound in that list.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

FOG3

Post by FOG3 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:47 pm

Gunny wrote:Bump.

Go give blood you mooks. It takes 30 minutes, you get free cookies and juice and you save up to 3 lives with one whole blood donation.
You can't make me!

Until September 20th anyway. :P

I'm up to 14 pints of O- donated to the bank through United Blood Services. Does that mean I'm ahead of you Gunny or that you just haven't posted the guys after #10?

dood

Post by dood » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:44 pm

kyle wrote:I never understood this. It doesn't make any logical sense:
gloomy_nymph wrote: if you are a male, had sex even once with another male since 1977;
I've never heard of any serious scientific evidence that proves this has any bearing in the real world. Politics. Dumb.

Is this just a Red Cross thing or do other Blood banks have this requirement on their donors?
gee kyle, i thought u knew everything
carlos mencia wrote:Gorilla's have the strength of ten men. retarded people have the strength of ten men. So if you see a retarded gorilla, you better run bitch!

Rooster

Post by Rooster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:14 pm

I last donated blood about 1 1/2 months ago. The last 3 times I donated, I donated what they called a 'double red'. They take out a pint, seperate it, pump the whites and plasma back in your body, and repeat. It takes about an hour. The blood re-enters your body at room temp, so you get a little chilly, but it's worth it. The lady said they use 'double red' blood for cancer patients. Something about using it decreases the overall amount needed during a transfusion.

The only downside for me is it increases the allowed time between donations. I'm closing in on 5 gallons. 4 through Red Cross and 1 to the Sioux Falls Blood Bank. It may sound boastful, but I enjoy knowing I'm doing something benificial.
Are you prepared? Good. Then help someone else do the same.

DocSimon aka The Pie Army Field Marshall wrote:..PIE IS FOREVER....POWER TO THE PIE!

thorian

Post by thorian » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:21 pm

I am scheduled to tap a vein on the 20th at 10 o clock. I donated for the first time in years a couple months back. I guess that since I got the tattoo I am no longer deathly afraid of needles.
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

Ricky Romero
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD '78 and '04, 28 Days Later, Zombie Strippers

Post by Ricky Romero » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:29 pm

Late entry: Gave blood on August 1st! Just cashed in my coupon for a free pint of ice cream last night!
I survived Zombie Con 2009!

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:30 pm

Ricky Romero wrote:Late entry: Gave blood on August 1st! Just cashed in my coupon for a free pint of ice cream last night!
That's win win, I'd rather take a free pint of ice cream than a t-shirt.

Keep it up guys :)

I'm due again, going to go give next week early.

thorian

Post by thorian » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:28 am

Gave yesterday.

1 Pint of B+

and apparently if I give every month in a quarter work will give me 1/2 day off with pay. That is like $30 a pint
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:10 pm

Gave today, in and out in 30 minutes.

PAW for President

Post by PAW for President » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:24 pm

One pint of A+ yesterday.

A+. My very blood smacks of perfection.
mdg
Doc Simon wrote:Fix your fucking sig lil sister.

Ricky Romero
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD '78 and '04, 28 Days Later, Zombie Strippers

Post by Ricky Romero » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:32 pm

I, too, am a hemotological overachiever. So if I need a transfusion at Wintergeddon, PAW for Prez is gonna get the call. :lol:

Likewise, of course.
I survived Zombie Con 2009!

PAW for President

Post by PAW for President » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:00 pm

Ricky Romero wrote:I, too, am a hemotological overachiever. So if I need a transfusion at Wintergeddon, PAW for Prez is gonna get the call. :lol:

Likewise, of course.
Deal. Fair warning, though: I'm way more likely to hurt myself.
mdg
Doc Simon wrote:Fix your fucking sig lil sister.

midgetyaz

Post by midgetyaz » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:23 pm

PAW for President wrote: I'm way more likely to hurt myself.
Don't sell yourself short. I'll probably push you or something.
bonanacrom wrote:That made no sense at all. I think it was meant to make me dumber, and it worked.

Return to “Zombie Squad Charity Projects”