fuel efficient 4x4 bov? whats your BOV MPG?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gixxer1237

Re: fuel efficient 4x4 bov? whats your BOV MPG?

Post by Gixxer1237 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:27 pm

2008 Ford Expidention 4x4 limited. 13 mpg city, 19 highway actual. Can haul 6 and a little gear or 4 and a lot of gear.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Current BOV is my daily driver 2002 civic sir Hatchback until I get the van done. It's a 2 liter VTech motor and I can reliably squeeze 38mpg out of it as measured by a scangauge II meter on the highway, and 30-32 in city traffic. Recently took a 400 mile trip to the High desert (Victorville/Lucerne Valley, CA) with 3 adult sized and one half sized humans, a wiener dawg, and camping gear with 30 gallons of water in a harbor freight Trailer and got 30 MPG. Below is the rig. This trip involved 40 miles in the dirt on USFS roads and I did fine. I do have Michelin Mud and snow rated tires on it.

My future bov is a 64 Dodge A100 and has a LT170 slant six that gets around 22 mpg. You can read about it below in my sig (Misery machine). It's languishing in the corner of the yard as I take care of some divorce related debt...

shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:27 pm

My truck will eat sand dunes for breakfast, snack on mud, and go through a shallow creek like Amy Winehouse through a bottle of Darvocets...all bone stock 'cept the all-terrains. But damned if I can get more than 15 mpg out of her unless I'm driving 70 on the freeway. All this from a v6 no less...

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:32 pm

2002 F250 7.3L

16.7 city - actual
18.2 @ 70 - actual

I averaged 20mpg between here and Panama City though. 5 hr engine run time. I think if I were to drop my speed down to 65 on the freeway, then I would do better than the 18.2. Once I start hauling a trailer on long trips then I'll probably do just that and break even.

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:22 pm

I wouldn't consider a v6 pickup that gets only 15mpg anywhere near "efficient" as far as MPG goes. I say this, as I scorn myself for almost buying a Nissan Pro-4X. lol.

I'm only concerned with vehicles that get beyond 20mpg, and even then, my target is no less than 25mpg. The other thing to consider - I'll be towing a small tent trailer, so the vehicle needs to be able to tow and not take a huge hit on mpg.

Are there any older (80's-90's) diesel vans that came in a 4x4 configuration that'd meet my needs? (25ish mpg)

I'd be ok with a van, providing I can give it a mild lift to extend the ground clearance. I just don't want to go crazy, because I need it to not be top heavy. I mean I'd prefer a truck, but if a van is a better option...

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:25 pm

The only 4x4 vans I have seen have been converted from 2WD. There are companies that specialize in doing this.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:17 pm

No older 4x4 diesel van is going to get that kind of fuel economy, at least not traditional truck based American vans. That's why I ended up buying a diesel Suburban; almost as much interior room as a van, but with factory 4x4 and slightly better fuel economy than a van (especially a 4x4 van). Now you can't even get one of them unless you find a used one from the 80's/90's.

I know VW offered a smaller diesel van years ago for a short time, but I remember it only had like 50hp and could barely get out of its own way, never mind the added weight of a 4x4 conversion/passengers/cargo/ect.

It's only recently that we're starting to get some higher fuel economy vans like the Sprinters, Transits, ect that can really hit that 25mpg target. However, we don't get the factory AWD/4x4 versions, at least not yet. Supposedly there are companies converting them stateside, but I haven't seen any yet. Even still, 4x4 converted vans aren't cheap. To convert E-series vans, which have been around forever, is still $10,000+. Wouldn't surprise me if it cost ~$20,000 to convert a Sprinter.

Personally, I was hoping Ford would bring over the diesel version of their Transit Connect with a manual transmission (which they offer everywhere else in the world). Instead, we only get the 4-spd automatic gas version, which doesn't even match fuel economy with the ancient (and now discontinued) 5-spd Ranger. Which, you could at least get with a limited slip rear too.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Who doesn't need one of these?

Smart car with tracked conversion!

The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

congochris

Post by congochris » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Maverick299 wrote:Who doesn't need one of these?

Wow, nice Photoshop!

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:38 pm

I notice a ranger with baja plates and it was a four door crew cab, son of a b!tch. why do the other countries get cooler stuff?? And its a 2.5 diesel!
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

congochris

Post by congochris » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:03 pm

We'reWolf wrote:I notice a ranger with baja plates and it was a four door crew cab, son of a b!tch. why do the other countries get cooler stuff?? And its a 2.5 diesel!
Yup, that's the new "world" ranger. Everyone in the world gets it but the US, where they felt the size would cause competition for full sized F-150 sales. :roll: Fracking tools. I like Rangers, they're small enough to be nimble, don't take up 99% of the lane and generally fit into parking places. When I first saw pics of the World Ranger I started thinking of ways to talk my wife into letting me trade in my 86. Then I read the fine print that we don't get it. I'm still pissed.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:31 pm

congochris wrote:
Maverick299 wrote:Who doesn't need one of these?

Wow, nice Photoshop!

Burn it with fire.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:48 pm

congochris wrote:
We'reWolf wrote:I notice a ranger with baja plates and it was a four door crew cab, son of a b!tch. why do the other countries get cooler stuff?? And its a 2.5 diesel!
Yup, that's the new "world" ranger. Everyone in the world gets it but the US, where they felt the size would cause competition for full sized F-150 sales. :roll: Fracking tools. I like Rangers, they're small enough to be nimble, don't take up 99% of the lane and generally fit into parking places. When I first saw pics of the World Ranger I started thinking of ways to talk my wife into letting me trade in my 86. Then I read the fine print that we don't get it. I'm still pissed.
Blame the Explorer Sport Trac. The Sport Trac is almost identical dimension-wise to the T6 Ranger. When Ford produced the Sport Trac, they realized most people that looked at the Sport Trac ended up just getting an F150 instead. With that in mind, it didn't make sense to keep the Sport Trac around; as no one was buying them, they cost as much as an F150 to build, and there was less profit to be made on them.

They figure it will be the same way with the T6 Ranger. They'll offer it here and one of two things happen: Like the Sport Trac, it won't sell and they're stuck giving them away. Or, in the off chance it does sell well, they'll loose sales from their F150 cash cow. Either way it's a loss for them.

Instead we got the Transit Connect, which is supposed to be the replacement for the old Ranger. Not really a bad vehicle, but with no AWD, no diesel, and only a 4-spd automatic it's a complete no-sale for me. Would have been nice if they made it long enough for a full sheet of plywood/sheetrock inside too (It's annoyingly just about a foot short).

Supposedly GM is bringing over their Colorado small pickup, which is a direct competitor to the T6 Ranger and Toyota Hilux. Knowing GM though, they'll likely neuter it in some way or another. At which point, it becomes a lot less interesting to me.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:51 pm

congochris wrote:
this thing wasn't new it was like a early 2000's one.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15 ... r.jpg/sr=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they almost look like a four door tacoma

this is the "world ranger"
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4TKlqfi1q98/T ... Ranger.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a little different and more closer to a sport trac

TodaysBushcraft
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Dawn of the Dead", "Shaun of the Dead" Love the new "Walking Dead" series too!

fuel efficient 4x4 bov? whats your BOV MPG?

Post by TodaysBushcraft » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:59 am

I have an '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (smaller than the Outback). I get around 24-28mpg. 5-speed Manual trans, it is reliable, quiet, and inconspicuous.
Just because you can put a hitch on it, doesn't mean you should haul a trailer.
Has anyone built a 4x4 dune buggy for a BOV? Did you use the VW 1600, and what do you get for mileage?

Sent from my Tactical Communication Device.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:30 am

TodaysBushcraft wrote:I have an '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (smaller than the Outback). I get around 24-28mpg. 5-speed Manual trans, it is reliable, quiet, and inconspicuous.
Just because you can put a hitch on it, doesn't mean you should haul a trailer.
Has anyone built a 4x4 dune buggy for a BOV? Did you use the VW 1600, and what do you get for mileage?

Sent from my Tactical Communication Device.

i would imagine, 14-18 . when people build those buggys they hot rod out the 1600 and is not tuned for mileage

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:22 pm

so is anyone else in the same boat as me - looking for a light-to-medium duty diesel pickup? lol.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:12 pm

What do you consider light to medium duty? 3/4 and 1-ton trucks are light duty trucks by definition. If you're wanted a 1/2-ton or smaller truck with a diesel, you'll have to do it yourself. It's sad, but it is what it is. I think a diesel 1/2-ton would be the perfect size for most applications.

ghost792

Post by ghost792 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:33 pm

We'reWolf wrote:
congochris wrote:
this thing wasn't new it was like a early 2000's one.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15 ... r.jpg/sr=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4TKlqfi1q98/T ... Ranger.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yup. The rest of the world has been able to get 4 door, diesel Rangers for years now.

Link

congochris

Post by congochris » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:06 pm

ghost792 wrote:
We'reWolf wrote: this thing wasn't new it was like a early 2000's one.

Yup. The rest of the world has been able to get 4 door, diesel Rangers for years now.

Link
Those rat bastards! (Ford) :lol: Although when the Ranger first came out as it's own model, they did have a diesel version that had limited distribution in the states. But still not a crew cab.

MrPredictable
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later

Post by MrPredictable » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:06 pm

Diesel 4 door ranger is my dream vehicle.

Until then....

My current daily driver is a 2005 jeep liberty CRD. It is jeep trail rated and has skid plates, so has at least some off road ability. Gets 25/28 mph and 500 miles per tank. Future upgrades include a grill guard with lights and winch, and a hitch. It should be able to tow a decent amount. Also looking into getting the chip reprogrammed for 5 more mph and 40 extra Hp.

Don't think ill be getting rid of it anytime soon.
Green wire FTW

DEPTHCHARGE
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Walking Dead tv series

Post by DEPTHCHARGE » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:29 pm

I wish Mahindra would get their act together and finally bring its truck and suv to the U.S.. Four door, five passenger, 4wd, diesel, 5000 lb towing, 2000 lb cargo capacity and....30mpg highway! Here's a blog documenting the saga.......

http://mahindratruckblog.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I used to be indecisive but now...I'm not so sure.
Just a squirrel...trying to get a nut.

88sport
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by 88sport » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:04 pm

DEPTHCHARGE wrote:I wish Mahindra would get their act together and finally bring its truck and suv to the U.S.. Four door, five passenger, 4wd, diesel, 5000 lb towing, 2000 lb cargo capacity and....30mpg highway! Here's a blog documenting the saga.......

http://mahindratruckblog.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
they shuttered up recently here. it ain't happenin'
landser wrote:I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.
only here...

tookieblueeyes
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM

Post by tookieblueeyes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Ummmmm My BOV is a Jeep Cherokee that I had converted to run on propane rather than on fuel and have purchased the appropriate adapter so that I can refill my gas tank with propane from out of BBQ grill tanks and the tanks that are used to heat homes, mostly country homes of course. I can fuel up right here at home and in a BO I can pack in BBQ grill tanks for extra stand bys instead of cans full of petro. I don't have to worry about big lines at gas stations in case of an emergency or catastrophe, I don't have to worry about someone punking me for my gasoline because good luck trying to stick a hose down into my tanks to suck gas out... not gonna happen! And even though the Jeep did get 18MPG before the conversion it didn't get much better but it now gets 21 MPG. Also, depending on the temperature outside it can improve to 24 MPG. I don't know why but it does get better when it is colder.
Learning is an ongoing process.

Return to “Transportation”