fuel efficient 4x4 bov? whats your BOV MPG?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:48 pm

what are some of the options with seating for 4, gear storage, 4x4 capable and still has solid mpg?

just curious what some of you are running in terms of BOV builds concerning MPG.

I have a dodge ram 1500 with great ground clearance and quite trail capable, and its easy enough to store extra fuel, but it just guzzles the gas. Same with my Jeep wrangler.

So, as I look at other projects... I'm curious what some of you did to combat the mpg issue. i rather get more MPG and haul less fuel. A) fuel is expensive B) it is flammable.

Ataki
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead
Day of the dead
Resident evil 1,2,3 NOT 4 :(

Re: fuel efficient 4x4 bov? whats your BOV MPG?

Post by Ataki » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Have you looked into 4-door tracker, or Sidekick? They get fairly good mileage, and with a few mods, can be very capable offroad.
KF5UHG

L4tp

Post by L4tp » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:19 pm

That depends on what you consider good gas mileage. I've got an 06 Dodge 4 x 4 with the diesel in it. I have gotten up to 22 MPG on the highway. I regularly get almost 600 miles between fill ups.

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:37 pm

My pick would either be a 4 door Sidekick/Tracker with a manual or an '85-'88 4runner with 4cyl/manual. Both get upper 20s on the highway and low to mid 20s in town. The 4runner will give you little more space and power, but it's 2 door only and unless you take the top off it's really hard to get in and out of the back seat, unless you're pretty small and flexible.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:48 pm

i would look into diesels
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Look into the 1st generation Isuzu Trooper 1986 or newer. They came with both 4 cylinder engines in gasoline and diesel. Roomy vehicles, not too many luxuries but widely exported so parts are not too hard to find abroad.

From Wikipedia: In 1989 only, a short-wheelbase (90-inch) Isuzu Trooper was imported to the US market as the Trooper. All of these short wheelbase Troopers were equipped with 2.6-liter fuel-injected inline-four engines, 4.77:1 differential gears and 15×7-inch aluminium alloy "snowflake" pattern wheels. Automatic and manual transmissions were offered.

Here is a video of a 4cyl diesel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnju7pmkAuU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:16 pm

I have a lot to move.

F250 with a tuner, 20-21mpg. Fully loaded, guessing about 13-14mpg. Standard tank = 27gal +10gal in cans =total range around 500 miles. If that doesn't get me away from the disaster area then it's a really big disaster. At that point I park it and set up my new life. :shock:
WWSD?

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:33 pm

my jeep liberty can do 500km with 80L
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:35 pm

I drive an '03 Nissan Xterra and i get about 17-19mpg on the highway.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:41 pm

1990 Honda Civic RT4WD Wagon.

Seating for 4, MPG from 22-30.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Let's not forget the Subaru Outback and the Forrester.

ExpeditonPortal rated the 1999 - 2003 Suzuki Vitara as one of the 10 Best Used Overland Vehicles with this write up:

Suzuki makes awesome little 4wd vehicles. They are the ultimate stealth, economical and reliable little adventure wagons. I have driven a Suzuki Jimny (think Samurai) through 23 countries and for 17,800 kms across Europe, Central Asia and Asia, ending with crossing northern Mongolia, the hard way. Not a single mechanical failure, not even a flat tire. These vehicles are global platforms and will give mid to high 20s on MPG. They are also extremely tough and durable and will go most places you wish to visit with just an Old Man Emu suspension, rear limited slip or locking differential and one size larger LT all-terrain tires. Feel the Suzuki love!

They also gave the Jeep Patriot an honorable mention In the forum accompanying the list, the website founder shared his experience with his wife's Patriot:
We've broken 30mpg several times in Marisa's 4cyl Patriot (best 1-tank average was just over 33mpg). All with significant highway/freeway driving (65 - 85mph), always cold weather, and never with cruise control.

It seems that every time we drive somewhere cold, it breaks into the 30's. The same trip when it is hot, we end up well below 30mpg.

Typical highway mileage (mixed with minimal in-town miles) is closer to 26/27. 100% in-town is closer to 24/25mpg. I imagine that if we slowed down to 65/70mph on the freeway (typically we cruise at 80 - 85) and used cruise control (which her Patriot doesn't have), we'd be pretty close to 29/30 on a regular basis.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Seriously, Imma be sick. worrying about 22 vs 23 mpg If I have to bug I am bugging in my daily driver - 09 chevy 3500, duramax, crew cab, 4x4, and several thousand pound of tools and equipment in it BEFORE I add kids and bobs.
I got 24 before rigging out
Now I gross 12,600 on a light day and get 14 down hill with a tailwind.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:06 pm

ArmchairRacer wrote:My pick would either be a 4 door Sidekick/Tracker with a manual or an '85-'88 4runner with 4cyl/manual. Both get upper 20s on the highway and low to mid 20s in town. The 4runner will give you little more space and power, but it's 2 door only and unless you take the top off it's really hard to get in and out of the back seat, unless you're pretty small and flexible.
I have a 95 Sidekick 4 dr, will get 25 to 27 imn town and have gotten 34 hiway (summer). True 4x4 with xfer case. What it doesn't have is a ton of space. Will tow a decent trailer OK tho.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

williaty

Post by williaty » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 am

I make 22mpg idling in stop and go traffic or around town in traffic lights, 26-28mpg on the highway with no headwind. My wife somehow magically adds 4-6mpg to that figure when she drives my car. Highest I've ever hit was 38mph, all highway, with a consistent tail wind. It's a Subaru Impreza station wagon. AWD, and once you put the right armor on the bottom, it'll get you 90% of the places that a SUV or pickup will.

rikinwyoming

Post by rikinwyoming » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:48 am

catalyst wrote:what are some of the options with seating for 4, gear storage, 4x4 capable and still has solid mpg?

just curious what some of you are running in terms of BOV builds concerning MPG.

I have a dodge ram 1500 with great ground clearance and quite trail capable, and its easy enough to store extra fuel, but it just guzzles the gas. Same with my Jeep wrangler.

So, as I look at other projects... I'm curious what some of you did to combat the mpg issue. i rather get more MPG and haul less fuel. A) fuel is expensive B) it is flammable.
I had a 1996 dodge ram 1500 ext cab 4x4, and with 35 inch tires got 11.5 mpg in town, 13.5 highway.... traded it for a 1990 cummins diesel with 35's and get 18 in town and 21 on the highway.... was a good deal for me...

mough

Post by mough » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:01 am

I love my tracker. Its held up off road. Stores plenty of gear when you put the rear seat down, and add a luggage rack to the roof. Gets about 25mpg

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:51 am

what about light pickup trucks? are there any that get better than 25mpg that seat 4?
generally speaking, does diesel generally get better mpg or worse?

i wonder what kind of mpg those little daihatsu hijets get.

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:13 am

Jeep Grand Cherokee gets 19ish with a mix of highway and back road driving and that's with straight six four liter, 21 gal tank.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

Commo141

Post by Commo141 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:35 am

I get 22-25 highway in a 09 grand but it drops a lot in the city say 14-16 most of the time.
Ward
Proud moar zombie since May 2009

Grey Mann

Post by Grey Mann » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:44 am

catalyst wrote:what about light pickup trucks? are there any that get better than 25mpg that seat 4?
generally speaking, does diesel generally get better mpg or worse?

i wonder what kind of mpg those little daihatsu hijets get.
Not really, here in the colonies. All else equal, the same vehicle (with similar power output) in diesel form will achieve ~150% the fuel economy of the gasoline variant. That's obviously not a strict rule, but a general estimation. Also, it's much more fiscally reasonable and possible in general to push a diesel for economy than it is do so with a gas motor.
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject.
Do not go gentle.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:24 am

Light duty truck/SUV with 4x4 capability and a diesel motor swap is my dream ride. Plenty of torque for the pulling jobs, more fuel economy (I think the Hilux 3.0's here get about 24 under moderate loads) and it's a little truck that roars like a big boy.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

88sport
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by 88sport » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Doc Torr wrote:Light duty truck/SUV with 4x4 capability and a diesel motor swap is my dream ride. Plenty of torque for the pulling jobs, more fuel economy (I think the Hilux 3.0's here get about 24 under moderate loads) and it's a little truck that roars like a big boy.
Amen, I want to do that with my Dakota. Put a 3.9 Cummins into it and slap a ZF 5-speed in it as well. I was hoping that the Mahindra pickup would take off here, but they shuddered up here recently. I wish that Ford would bring the freakin' amazing new Ranger into this country with the 5 cylinder diesel that can literally tow a train, but they cancelled it for North America citing the fact that the size of the truck would make it compete with the F-150. Also, the new EPA regulations for fuel mileage targets would mean that that size of the footprint of the truck would make it have to compete in a category for mileage that is similar to a car...dumb as hell if you ask me.
landser wrote:I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.
only here...

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm partial to my Wrangler for trips up to about 600 miles (1 day drive time) one-way. I'm also getting around 20-21 mpg @ 65 mph (I refuse to drive faster unless passing or someone is dying but at least I'll keep right) which is why I go a tad slower than the posted limit. Country backroads I can manage 22-24 mpg @ 55 mph. On my Sunday rural route it's about 180 miles with around 140 stops so 17 mpg is about the norm. When the canoe is up top I won't go over 55 mph and am lucky to get 17 mpg. Those are my current real-world numbers. Were I to bug-out tomorrow I'd expect to get around 16 mpg (canoe plus traffic). I expect to be in the 15 mpg neighborhood for normal driving when I'm done modding it.

Beyond that 600 mile range the short wheelbase begins to beat me up a bit. I started looking into a pickup to deal with hobby farm work (I'm working on getting one in the next few years) and able to tow my Jeep (which would become my back-up BOV/Daily Driver/Paper Truck). Desires for mileage around 20mpg dictate a diesel (trade-offs: maintenence is more expensive and it's heavier than a gas powered truck) and I'm partial to the 6BT Cummins so in a couple years (waiting for powertrain warranty to expire on the Jeep first) I'll be in the market for a '94-'98 Dodge Ram 3500 with the Cummins and slapping a crossbed transfer tank into it to extend the fuel capacity to the 125 gallon neighborhood to get the range come Z-Day.

Given my particular needs, circumstances, and the way I think this is, for me, likely the best solution. Your mileage will vary.

TheDavid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombyland and Sean of the dead, the walking dead

Post by TheDavid » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:05 pm

09 tacoma trd off road17mpg. Will get me to my furthest bol on one tank of gass in 4x4 if needed.
"Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state."
Thomas Jefferson

"When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side" -ancient Chinese proverb

Return to “Transportation”