My new Supercharged AWD mid engined daily/BOV. Many pics!

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NonExistence

My new Supercharged AWD mid engined daily/BOV. Many pics!

Post by NonExistence » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:56 pm

After much deliberation, the time to move past the tactical Hyundai Accent has come, and I have decided that a supercharged AWD vehicle with a mid engined design could be the only answer to what I need in a vehicle. No, it's not a Lamborghini or something like that, it's a Toyota Previa!

Some rough pics for meow,

The not so pretty parts, add character if you ask me. The dent in the second picture has been mostly kicked out when I had the interior panel off. 3 good square presses with my foot, and it's now a small wrinkle where my giant dent used to be!

Not the prettiest thing in the world, but I got a good deal on it, and it was exactly what I've wanted, and even white like my previous two vehicles. Milalege is high (270k), but it runs and drives like a champ. I did have to replace the fuel pump, but I knew what I was signing up for. I purchased it for something with tons of room for subwoofers, guns, four humans and to have something that should be able to soldier through anything Colorado may throw at it. So far it is proving it's worth in everything I need it for!

First things first, as a mobile electronics salesperson, I need an insane demo vehicle to show off the custom work we perform on site. Currently, it's mainly stuff from my last vehicle in the process of being better integrated and having many additions made. Plans include another 4 channel amp and 3 pairs of speakers, as well as a minimum of 6 subs. Before any of that happens, it will be fitted with a high output alternator, and possibly a secnod battery. I'll make a new post for showing off the work in progress!

Showing what I'm transitioning from, my Flat Dark Earth tactical Hyundai Accent. My lust for subwoofers and guns made my outgrow it, and she isn't holding up so well after 150k, especially considering a third of that there was 400 pounds of audio equipment in it!

More coming real soon!

NonExistence

Re: My new Supercharged AWD mid engined daily/BOV. Many pics

Post by NonExistence » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Now the audio build begins. This all starts with a ton of time, dynamat, and aught gauge wiring. Without dynamat, you get a noisy irritating sound when the bass drops, plus it seals your sound in, which is great for strategizing on how to attack this next horde of Z's. It also ensures that road noise and incessesant zombie moaning don't enter the vehicle for a peaceful quite ride through the ZPAW, unless I should decide to light up the subs!

Naked sheetmetal is bad, verry bad. Must line with Dynamat! Also note the 5.25 inch paper bullshit unceremoniously bolted to the door that passes for a front speaker. Has to go!!

Five sheets into the rear hatch lid will keep it from rattling when all the bass energy smacks it like a herd of elephants.

Starting on the massive drivers side. Note the coverage of the inner and outer sheet metal, very important.

The drivers side finished. 8.75 sheets, just shy of a bulk pack of Dynamat, into this side alone. Also note the 5.25 inch paper bullshit unceremoniously bolted to the rear sheetmetal that passes for a rear speaker, left in place because they were my only working speakers to listen to NPR with for the two weeks after that pic was taken.

1.68 metric Fucktons of wiring, with 0AWG cable for the sub amp, 4AWG for the 4 channel, 12AWG speaker wire for the fronts,6 channels of top end Stinger RCA cables for signal, remote and reference ground wires and extra power, ground and accessory wire leads for whatever else I wire back there in the future.

Rear passenger quarter panel after the Dynamic Control treatment. 4 sheets in here.

Passenger side door. Drivers door looks just like it. 5 sheets between both doors.

Now we get to business, the actual electronics and speakers that make the $750 in sound insulation and 600 in wiring all worthwhile.

Piloted by a KIV-BT901, we have auwesome interface with iPhone, including direct music library and video interface, Pandora internet radio, Bluetooth handsfree calling, as well as a backup camera to watch the subs with.
First pic is from the Hyundai, was too hard to get a good interface pic with my phone plugged in the Previa.

In the Previa's dash.

Rockford Fosgate T15001BDCP for the subs, T6004 for the upper range. Vicious, underrated power for the ultimate in sound.

Focal 165VB component speakers, with separate midranges and tweeters. Very loud, very clean sound from a brand that's not very well known for making the best speakers worldwide. The midrange's plate was made the same size and shape of the factory grille, but top loads a 6.5 inch. Shaped from MDF and Fiberglass.

A quartet of JBL GT512's. Not really high end like the rest of my gear, but there is a reason I've owned 26 of these subs over the last five years. Make no mistake, it's stupid loud. Custom box for the tactical Hyundai doesn't look so custom, but Ill worry about that when the minimum of 6 subs finds their way in there. One reason I bought a minivan was because 4 subs wasn't enough anymore! I left enough room between the rear hatch and the subs to resonate properly.

Still plenty of room between the enclosure to store more stuff. Like currently unused audio equipment...

And to top it all off, mobile security, never before so well defined. A Clifford Matrix33 alarm remote start with glass break sensor and two way paging, and an FNX9 to ruin the day of whoever triggers it.

That's all for tonight, more general pics under better light situation and a description of the not audio related things to come.

T-Boon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero FTW.

Post by T-Boon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:28 am

aww, so no delica space gear then ? :P

Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

NonExistence

Post by NonExistence » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:42 am

It turned out I just wasn't man enough for the Space Gear. Although it holds a special place in my heart, I would need to know if I could find reliable sources of parts here I the states, on top of going through the hassle of importation. Definitely something I could consider if i had 10x the cash I just put into the Previa on hand. If I ever move out of the States, I'll make sure it is to a place that a Space Gear is an easy find.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:09 am

Thats one, uh.. fierce.. eggy.. minivan you got there.

Did you have a mechanic check out the supercharger before you bought it?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:17 am

Sick ride bro
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:34 am

I mean, I'm no financial expert or anything, and I certainly don't know shit about your situation (monetary, assets, whatever), but it seems to me the money put into the audio system could have gotten you out of the 270,000 mile, 15-18 year-old minivan market.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

T-Boon

Post by T-Boon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:56 am

TravisM.1 wrote:I mean, I'm no financial expert or anything, and I certainly don't know shit about your situation (monetary, assets, whatever), but it seems to me the money put into the audio system could have gotten you out of the 270,000 mile, 15-18 year-old minivan market.
NonExistence wrote:First things first, as a mobile electronics salesperson, I need an insane demo vehicle to show off the custom work we perform on site. Currently, it's mainly stuff from my last vehicle in the process of being better integrated and having many additions made. Plans include another 4 channel amp and 3 pairs of speakers, as well as a minimum of 6 subs. Before any of that happens, it will be fitted with a high output alternator, and possibly a secnod battery. I'll make a new post for showing off the work in progress!
So costs nothing (just about) and is a required thing.
Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:05 am

Uh, OK.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:37 am

In before free candy.

But sweet ride.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

NonExistence

Post by NonExistence » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:52 pm

T-Boon wrote:
TravisM.1 wrote:I mean, I'm no financial expert or anything, and I certainly don't know shit about your situation (monetary, assets, whatever), but it seems to me the money put into the audio system could have gotten you out of the 270,000 mile, 15-18 year-old minivan market.
NonExistence wrote:First things first, as a mobile electronics salesperson, I need an insane demo vehicle to show off the custom work we perform on site. Currently, it's mainly stuff from my last vehicle in the process of being better integrated and having many additions made. Plans include another 4 channel amp and 3 pairs of speakers, as well as a minimum of 6 subs. Before any of that happens, it will be fitted with a high output alternator, and possibly a secnod battery. I'll make a new post for showing off the work in progress!
So costs nothing (just about) and is a required thing.

T-Boon has this nailed. Pretty much all of the gear in my vehicle is left over from my last car, and was acquired for a small fraction of retail thanks to where I work. I spent less than $20 on my $450 front speakers, nothing on my $800 sub amp, ect. I spent so little out of pocket for this install that it wouldn't have enhancedy budget enough to get me out of this vehicular category. Not to mention the fact that that different vehicle would still need the same equipment to get my job done.

I may also add that this is a daily driver/work vehicle above all else, and I have in there what I need to do my job. My job requires me to sell complex multi-thousand audio systems into cars of all shapes and sizes. When I have the most badass of these systems in my not-too-special vehicle, it shows that anything can be done to anything you want. Some people need 220 volt generators, 2000 watt 110 volt inverters, a welder and an air compressor to do their job, and spend thousands outfitting their respective vehicles with such. Nobody questions them, I just require different tools for a vastly different job. Both are needs specific vehicles that need a high output alternator to do their job, just two vastly different jobs.....

I did get a full vehicle inspection for the purchase price, and they checked out everything, and no really major work is necessary for it. Supercharger and all major engine components checked out fine, needs an EGR valve, valve cover gasket and distributor O-ring. So basically 100 bucks in parts. I can live with that.

To each their own, and my own is exactly what it is. More updates coming real soon!

HKTackDriver

Post by HKTackDriver » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Ahh, the "Death Egg." Probably one of the most unsafe minivans ever designed. Don't crash.

NonExistence

Post by NonExistence » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Yeah I did watch a crash test video of a head on collision, and it was violent to say the least. Fortunately. (knocks on wood) I have yet to get in an accident, and hope to keep it that way. The newer versions are improved, but still have the worst front end impact rating of any vehicle of that year IIRC. The front, rear and sides do well enough though. Stay driving safe, and just like any other vehicle, I should stay alive.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:53 pm

So... Can you get me any nearly free* audio for my even deadlier mini-van???

shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Needs exo-cage.
WWSD?

NonExistence

Post by NonExistence » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:03 am

Today's work is completed, so I'll show what I've done. First thing was addressing the massive cabling running under the hood, and the insufficient grounding for the battery. The battery is an Optima RedTop, which finds itself under the hood of the fourth vehicle I have owned since I purchased this battery 4-5 years ago. Perfect for plenty of current storage, and for when you leave your headlights or dome light on. I have left both on overnight in my Hyundai and didn't kill it.
:twisted:

The new ABS tray to mount the circuit breaker for the 0AWG run to the sub amp, and fuse holder for the 4AWG run to the sub amp. Grimey ass RedTop just won't die!

A good solid, paint free ground to the frame of a vehicle is import for the battery in any car, twofold with so many electronics. I had to settle for a subframe, but that's good enough.

Then the fun part comes next. Few things in life I live to hear more when I show up to work than my install manager saying "what are we doing to the van today?" We farted around a minute about putting some 5.25" Focal midranges in my dash, I go help a few customers, and bam, they're my dash. Before I even decided to do it, they were installed. My OBD port was relocated slightly, and now there is twice as much crystal clear musical deliciousness coming from the front of my spaceegg suppository bean shaped minivan!

A better pic of said speakers

One step closer to completion, and a major improvement in my vehicle. Light dimming with all electrtonics at full tilt is not nearly as dramatic, thanks to a good solid battery ground. The electrical system is a good solid half finished, and have only had it a few weeks.

Plans to be executed next-

More general maintenance, have been doing quite a bit on the 3 weeks I've had this thing, and it only gets better. This
thing really feels rock solid for it's age. New belts, hoses, and a few other minor tune up parts and fluid flushes should do the trick.

New alternator, going to begin doing some serious research the next few days, and am hoping to score something at minimum 150 amps, but preferably in the 200 range. Cost will likely dictate a victor, I'm not looking to get more into the 300 price range for this, but I understand current isn't cheap.

Going through and completely rebuilding the suspension is definitely in order, I also want to beef it up a bit. I have seen both airbag and coilover suspensions available, but neither are really sounding like the options of best choice for some more offroad and BOV geared. I haven't found anything by way of lift kits except a one off job that was DIY fabricated and quite extensive. I just could see snapping a racecar coilover or doing godknowswhat to an airbag setup when trying to do mild offloading with them.

All of which will take place before more extensive audio equipment is purchased. I really don't want to budget anything to this, and am pretty much all out of spare parts.

If anybody has any good recommends for suspension or an alternator, I'm all ears!

T-Boon

Post by T-Boon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 am

Its not so much the altinator, but the brackets to mount it, i`d say get the biggest alternator you can find then find someone to mount it.

And as far as suspension, good factory replacements are the go, i`m guessing that its all independant suspension and they dont really like being lifted that much.

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:06 pm

All I have to say, is good luck. I would never recommend buying a high mileage vehicle for a mobile work vehicle, no matter how good it runs at the time of purchase (except for maybe diesels)

Normally I would say something about posting pictures that show your license plates, but I guess you want to be seen anyways. Hopefully you will get insurance that will cover all the valuable stereo equipment.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:26 pm

T-Boon wrote: i`m guessing that its all independant suspension and they dont really like being lifted that much.
Or lowered, but that never stopped any idiots who get the GReddy catalog.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

NonExistence

Post by NonExistence » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Actually, no Greddy catalogue, googling "Toyota Previa suspension" turns up coilovers and airbags. I really have zero interest in that route, especially lowering, just listing options. Not a route I would want to go with mild off roading planned.

As far as my plates, didn't think they were really visible in the pics with all the reflective material's glare. I'll edit that out at home. You're assumptions are incorrect, I don't want to be seen. Should someody do a thorough investigatio of my plates, they won't find my adress anyway. I could go more in depth on this, but I feel it's irrelevant. And yes, my equipment is well insured, just like the 3 vehicles previous that it was all installed in.

I'm only a little surprised at the negative attitude towards a cheap running vehicle in the ZS transportation section, where several BOV's start up as nothing special and are built up towards the direction of several flavors of baddassery. Take for example our own desire-for-eye-bleach generating Crypto's own Gladiator, which was covered in a nice complete layer of rust and broke down on the drive home, which was also scored off of craigslist for cheap. Everybody sees it as a work on progress, but my running and didn't breakdown on the drive home Previa is just some dumb fuckhead's waste of ZS bandwidth. Guess I should consider non running rustbuckets for my vehiclular needs. (No intended offense Crypto, your Gladiator is shaping up to be pretty sweet, just the most direct example I could think of.)

I figured I would show off the whole build start to finish, the audio really is that necessary to me to be useable every day. Let's say you score manual trans vehicle that needs a starter. You can push start it every time you have to drive somewhere and that works, but wouldn't you rather have a new starter? Factory audio is like a push start to me. No doubt I could do it, but fuck that when I have what equals a pile of starters in this comparison just lying around.

The point? I got a vehicle that fits my needs beautifully, being built to fit them even more. Can we ease up on the flaming and get more constructive criticism? A minivan may not be as exciting to most as a pickup or a Jeep, but neither of these come remotely close to fitting my needs. I

88sport
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by 88sport » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Quite honestly, because you are doing a minivan, especially one not based upon a truck frame, you are going to run into problems with using it offroad. however, there are few things I can see that can be done to make it a little better than your neighbor that has a run-of-the-mill minivan.

1) cut out the plastic bumpers and if you can any plastic rocker panels along the side of the van and put in some metal bumpers that don't hang as low and improve your ability to go over obstacles.

2) a good set of all terrain tires.

3) Off-road lights

4) Roof rack for hauling extra gear. Maybe figure out a way to remove it when you don't need it.

5) when you install metal bumpers, make sure to add recovery hooks onto it so that you have something to hook recovery straps to that is secure and won't screw anything else up.

6) good vehicular GHB
landser wrote:I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.
only here...

Return to “Transportation”