Best ZPAW Engine Discussion

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ducky

Best ZPAW Engine Discussion

Post by Ducky » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Thought I would stirr the pot a little and start a thread on what the best ZPAW engine would be.
For the sake of the conversation lets keep it to engines that are actualy avalibul or have been built before.
Otherwise we could go crazy and say we wanted a V6multi fule engine with Zirconium aloy block and tungsten carbide cylinder walls that puts out 250hp and 300fb/tq. :lol:
Anyway,

Lets here what your guys opinions are.
:: Lets eat Grandpa! Lets eat, Grandpa! :: Commas, they save lives!
My Ultralight Stove

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Best ZPAW Engine Discussion

Post by crypto » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:57 pm

I'm gonna go with either an old 6.2L Detroit Diesel if you live somewhere warm enough that it wont be a problem to start, or the old AMC 4-liter inline six everywhere else.

Both are relatively low-output engines that will run forever as long as you keep fluids in them, because they are vastly overengineered.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:59 pm

A carbed Chevy 350!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:03 pm

Kevin108 wrote:A carbed Chevy 350!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I would agree, I had one in an old nova, something inside was broken for sure big ol' KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK and would still go 120mph :lol:

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:24 pm

I agree that the 350 makes pretty good numbers and has the potential to make some even bigger numbers but I just have a hard time trusting Gas engines.
Im more of a diesel fan myself.

Im going to throw in the 4BT or 6BT
If only we could get 100 more HP out of the 4BT that would be perfect.
No nasty electronics, Runs on Biodiesel, 300,000 miles +
My Ultralight Stove

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:53 pm

One thing I know for sure is that I'll take an inline configuration engine over a V-configuration engine any day when it comes to long term durability and reliability. The former has a lot of advantages when it comes to piston wear, balance, and vibration. Hence why the vast majority of engines in heavy duty applications are of an inline configuration.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Cummins BT6 is my personal Holy Grail. Diesel, mechanical fuel injection, and the inline 6 is the simplest motor with both primary and secondary mechanical balance meaning it will last until well after the ZPAW if you treat it right.

NC5thcav

Post by NC5thcav » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:57 pm

The Ford 300 inline six is one of the best gas engines ever. They make good power for a truck ad run forever.
"I am determined to defend my rights and maintain my freedom or sell my life in the attempt."- Gen. Nathaniel Greene

"We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again."- Gen. Nathaniel Greene

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:55 pm

300 inline six is FANTASTIC
an old Ford Diesel like the 6.9 or the International 7.3. Both are mechanically injected.
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Scott Free
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Scott Free » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:00 am

I'd think a multifuel engine like those in 2 1/2 ton Army trucks would be nice. Don't they burn just about anything?
evil monkey wrote:In essence (as I read it), if you have to shoot a dog, then you have to shoot the dog. Just don't teabag it like a 14 year old playing Halo. You start to lose the moral high ground.
ZS Fleet # ZS 0030

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:20 am

The 6BT and the Multifule form the Duce and half are great but they weigh a ton. Their power to weight ratio sucks.
Im starting to reolize that you can have ::Power, llightweight ,Diesel, dependability:: Pick 3

Just a thought,
How hard would it be to convert a duramax to mechanical injection?
My Ultralight Stove

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Off the top of my head I would say very, but that's not helpful. :lol:

greggk might know.

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Just found this Sexy little Subaru 2.0 diesel Boxer engine.
Grate balance, fairly quiet for a diesel, ALUMINUM BLOCK :o something like 145hp and 245TQ
LeDrool

Unfortunatly it is a Euro engine :x
But there is talk of it coming to the USA soon
My Ultralight Stove

Real_Ale_Act
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like the PAW ones better!

Post by Real_Ale_Act » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:50 pm

Detroit Diesel 6-71N. There's a reason the old Jimmys are still used in a lot of boats (where legal :roll: ). Even if you run them out of fuel, they can get you a little further sucking their own oil out of the crankcase. They may require a bit of work to run again after that, but they will get you there.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
Suizen wrote: (damned to hell reason and logic... who needs it?! PANIC SQUAD!!! UNITE!)
Chapter XV: ZS, California-Style

johndoe

Post by johndoe » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:40 am

Real_Ale_Act wrote:Detroit Diesel 6-71N. There's a reason the old Jimmys are still used in a lot of boats (where legal :roll: ). Even if you run them out of fuel, they can get you a little further sucking their own oil out of the crankcase. They may require a bit of work to run again after that, but they will get you there.

I have a Detroit Diesel 8v71 in my 1962 GM bus (former Greyhound turned RV) that I'm rather fond of. There is just something special about the old DDs.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:56 am

The only thing I never liked about Detroits is that they used to leak oil like a sieve. They were powerful engines though, we had a couple cable shovels with 8cyl detroits and they were real screamers.

With that said, I actually always liked Cummins better than Detroit. Typically not as powerful, but we had less problems with them. The two-stroke detroits had a problem where they would run away uncontrollably on ya.

We also had a few Continental inline gas engines, I forget what they used for carburetors, but they liked to catch fire when you were going down a hill. :roll:

johndoe

Post by johndoe » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:20 am

Dooms wrote:The only thing I never liked about Detroits is that they used to leak oil like a sieve.
Yeah, I'm currently chasing a leak that is driving me crazy. I "think" I've tracked it down to a hose coming off the blower, but you know how that goes. I suspect I'll be chasing leaks till either I or the motor dies. Oh well, much like a marriage, you put up with some minor headaches for true love. :lol:

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:22 pm

We have a couple old natural gas compressors that leak oil all the time.
When I brought it up to my supervisor he said "Those units always leak oil, no matter what. Keep an eye on it, if stops leaking its out of oil"
My Ultralight Stove

NoahDL88
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by NoahDL88 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:33 pm

Yanmar 4JH4-DTE

Made in Japan, Turbo Diesel, 125 hp, 250-300 or so lbsft

Two liter, so it gets great MPG's and will run forever with oil changes , only needs a 12v signal to the kill switch to keep running, and that could be bypassed if necessary.

You're not going anywhere quick, but in the ZPAW you don't have to, and 9 times out of 10 I'd take fuel economy over speed any day.

Hoping to put one in my Pinz, but unfortunately they are about 8-10k for a reman :(

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:50 pm

Perkins 4-108 for 50 HP. These engines routinely last 10,000 hours before they need a full overhaul.

GM 71 series diesel engines comes in 3, 4, 6 8 and 12 cylinder versions. 75 hp up to 700hp
These routinely run 7,000 hours in a marine environment before a top end overhaul is needed and then if you full overhaul at 15,000 hour replace the cylinder liners, pistons, etc they are good for another cycle of 7,000 hours top end overhaul and full overhaul. Parts for this series can be found in bum fuck Egypt.

Yanmars and Kubota are excellent small diesel engines.

As far as gasoline engines go you cannot beat the old Chevy 350 cu in gas engine for durability and repairability.

However, IMO the truly best engine is a Pratt and Whitney PT -6 series. They burn copious amounts of fuel bu they are very reliable and can last 5,000 hours with just a hot section inspection at 3,500 hours. You can find parts for it at damn near any airport in the world.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:55 pm

1.) International DT466.
2.) Cummins B-Series
3.) '06 6.0 Navistar Turbo Diesel (because I have one)
WWSD?

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:12 pm

Lister. You won't see it in any Mad Max chase scenes, but if you're looking for a super-simple
mill that'll power a generator or even a riverboat on low quality fuel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJLYlmWD828" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Just sayin'
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:08 pm

crypto wrote:I'm gonna go with either an old 6.2L Detroit Diesel if you live somewhere warm enough that it wont be a problem to start, or the old AMC 4-liter inline six everywhere else.

Both are relatively low-output engines that will run forever as long as you keep fluids in them, because they are vastly overengineered.
I agree with the 6.2L diesel as it needs no computer can be made to run off of bio diesel. It is a big dumb diesel that just plain works. It is a very simple engine design to work on. Strait mechanical fuel injection is the only way to go for a PAW diesel due to the fact there is hardly any wriring at all. No sensors and no computer to crap out on you. There are other mechanical fuel injection engines out there. Find the one that will work for you and drop it into your B.O.V or not.

I myself is going to put a 6.2L in my Jeep Wrangler when I get back. Pair that with a turbo 400 tranny that also requires no electronics to run. Now you have a power train that has stupid simple stamped on it. Here is the linky to my jeep thread I started before I got deployed.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 45&t=79661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

Return to “Transportation”