What are YOU currently lusting after? (BOV related)

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Quick Shot xMLx

Re: What are YOU currently lusting after? (BOV related)

Post by Quick Shot xMLx » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:54 pm

You take a low ass car and drop it 2 more inches. Incredibly useful...

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:18 am

If you needed to get away fast that'd be a good BOV. However, if youre forced off road, you're better off parking it and not ruining it by trying to make it.

On topic: Full sized diesel truck (dodge or ford), offroad BOV (other than my truck).
Wouldnt mind a decent sized popup camper. Fits 6 people, I'd have 3 at most. Its compact and doesnt take up a whole lot of room. If only I had the money.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Who needs to go through a ditch when you can fly over it?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Tater Raider wrote:Who needs to go through a ditch when you can fly over it?
Or over a gorge with a collapsed bridge like Sonny and Ski.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:44 pm

Since the thread title is "BOV Related", and there's already a thread for complete BOV's, I'll restrict myself to things I'd like to add to my BOV...

Right now, one thing I need/want to do is work on the electrical system. I want to add a second HO alternator, shore power, solar panels on the roof (with charge controller), and a bank of four AGM batteries in one of the side boxes. All total it'll cost me about $2,000 in materials, and I just can't afford that right now.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:26 am

Lamborghini LM002. Originally designed for the military.

Sāj
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sāj » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:39 pm

My current plans for a BOV/Fun vehicle is very similar to this:

A low center of gravity built XJ with 37" Bias Baja Claw Tires tires on re-centered hummer beadlocks (with rubber runflats instead of magnesium) on full size axles (probably Dana 44 and Dana 60). A custom built front and rear four link with custom design dual spring coilovers with airbags up top for forced articulation/ground clearance. The vehicle will ride at about a 3.5" lift but when the bags are fully inflated can have up to 8-9" of lift. This is really only used to help overcome obstacles. The vehicle is designed to have full articulation at 3.5" of lift. Like this:

Except it can be used on an incline to keep the vehicle level. A custom tire inflation unit in each wheel designed to be able to change tire pressures on the fly. Also it would have a Cummins 4BT. Reinforced doors/rock armor (mostly meant for rocks but if it can stop/slow bullets then thats a plus. :) ). A flat bottom unibody for ground clearance. A camping lab roof rack with roof top tent. Custom made exo frame to go around the roof top tent and hold a spare tire. The rear hatch area will have a 2 secure pull out drawers to house firearms for transport. The stock fuel tank will be replaced by a fuel cell with an interior fill spout (it will stop any people from trying to siphon gas and it will be easier to fabricate). And to top it off OR-Fab front (with custom stinger and warn XD9000i winch) and rear bumpers. The vehicle will be painted in a dazzle camo pattern I designed using light tan, light brown, light grey and white.

Sadly this is going to take a long time before it is completed as I haven't even purchased the Cherokee yet (I am planning to purchase one this spring). Overall this is mostly just meant to be my daily that I can take offroad, the BOV duties are . As it sits right now, I don't have a BOL, I live in the suburbs and don't really need a BOV.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:18 pm

This... :)

http://www.truckntow.com/pc-25714-14709 ... guard.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

jimdawg

Post by jimdawg » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:45 pm

roOism wrote:I've really been digging the "off-road van" concept lately.

Considering there are 5 children and my gf I have to look after, I would go this route too. The only other way I would consider something else if I got a pair of these. One for me and one for the gf...
http://www.fourwheeler.com/eventcoverag ... to_02.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

phractal

Post by phractal » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

88sport
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by 88sport » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:18 pm

To have my '88 dakota refitted with a 4BT and 5 speed tranny done by Johnathon Goodwin. if you don't know who he is, here is an article to get an idea of what he does:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/120 ... page=0%2C0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then, I want it lifted a few inches and slide some 30's under it. I also want to have some rack fabbed up that you can slide onto the side of the bed and use to store jerry cans on. I also want a slide-in camper made for the truck. oh, also, i would do the engine and other stuff as part of a frame-up redo of my rig the way i want it done. i want front and rear road-armor style brushguards and bumpers. i want a programmer, i want lots of MPGs, yada yada yada. it actually makes me depressed thinking about the fact that i can't afford any of this and a girlfriend.
landser wrote:I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.
only here...

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Post by driftking777 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:57 am

Picture my buddy took while over in afghan. Its an AUV, It's basically a 55,000 pound fully armored quad cab pickup, with a Caterpillar C13 engine and an Allison 4500 transmission, AxleTech axles and a Cushman Transfer Case....very very cool.

Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:37 pm

driftking777 wrote:Picture my buddy took while over in afghan. Its an AUV, It's basically a 55,000 pound fully armored quad cab pickup, with a Caterpillar C13 engine and an Allison 4500 transmission, AxleTech axles and a Cushman Transfer Case....very very cool.

And your very own armored fuel tanker to accompany it? You'll need one. :mrgreen:

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:20 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
driftking777 wrote:Picture my buddy took while over in afghan. Its an AUV, It's basically a 55,000 pound fully armored quad cab pickup, with a Caterpillar C13 engine and an Allison 4500 transmission, AxleTech axles and a Cushman Transfer Case....very very cool.

And your very own armored fuel tanker to accompany it? You'll need one. :mrgreen:
or a devoted following to push it :mrgreen:
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:36 am

these guys are doing some cool stuff, spendy though
http://icon4x4.com/overview/fj/gallery/by-model/fj44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:38 am

I plan on putting those weapons mounts on my Jeep.

http://www.pof-usa.net/jeepuav/pofjeepuav.htm

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:24 am

unrealistically ?

my old army armored vehicle i used to drive back when i was in the army

more realistically ?

a deuce and half
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Aikidoka

Post by Aikidoka » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:54 pm

2" Old Man Emu lift for my FJ. Then of course 33" BFG All Terrain TA's
"Zombies. Like Us, But More Dead"

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:18 pm

azrael99 wrote:
a deuce and half

*******this
1 :D

Sāj
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sāj » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:55 am

lailr wrote: *******this
1 :D
Ditto. Except I like the bobbed ones better.

Omega Storm
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04, Shaun of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Omega Storm » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:20 am

i have been looking at a Saxon AT105 APC for a while.
Tavor/Glock/Stamps/AKM/Yummy Pie/Wire Neutral/Fast Zombies
Bearcat wrote:I think it looks sick. I will definitely get one sometime down the road.
RIP Pat HK33K
ZS Fleet #0039 & 0044
When you need it, and don't have it, you sing a different tune.-Burt Gummer
Catch you f***ers at a bad time? –Abraham Whistler
My blog: http://omega-storm.blogspot.com/

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Omega Storm wrote:i have been looking at a Saxon AT105 APC for a while.
My god...

It's beautiful...

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:16 pm

All of the vehicles that I'd like to buy are unavailable in the US. I normally don't rail against government regulations but our vehicle import laws are totally ridiculous.
Since I have 3 kids and my wife wants one more I need lots of passenger space but don't necessarily want to drive a suburban. I also love the current 1VD-FTV 4.5 liter diesel that toyota puts into their LandCruisers in every country on earth except the US and Canada. I'll take a 200 series or a 70 series. Here are a couple glamour shots.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:32 pm

DarkandShiny wrote:All of the vehicles that I'd like to buy are unavailable in the US. I normally don't rail against government regulations but our vehicle import laws are totally ridiculous.
Since I have 3 kids and my wife wants one more I need lots of passenger space but don't necessarily want to drive a suburban. I also love the current 1VD-FTV 4.5 liter diesel that toyota puts into their LandCruisers in every country on earth except the US and Canada. I'll take a 200 series or a 70 series. Here are a couple glamour shots.

Diesel, RHD JDM BJ-44
Importing is easier than you think if you're willing to pay.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Return to “Transportation”