What are YOU currently lusting after? (BOV related)

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Re: What are YOU currently lusting after? (BOV related)

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:14 am

Lift kit/bigger wheels
Bigger GHB
Need to get an oil change one of these days. :gonk:
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

p00ch
Favorite Zombie Movies: Im really into TWD series but any zombie flick will suffice

Post by p00ch » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:13 pm

Ive been keeping my eye out for a '67-'91 K5 or Suburban preferrably one in the '67-'72 flavor but those are getting hard to find up here in the rust belt. Also wouldnt mind a M35A2 but Id say thats more of a dream than a reality that and the parts arent as prevalent as the chevys are. But then again I also have a soft spot for the M715s or maybe a Gladiator but my true weakness would be one of the F/C jeeps (but good luck finding a decent one) I know I know there ugly and impractial but something draws me to them.
The only place you find success before work is in the dictionary

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:23 pm

Some things are just so ugly and impractical that they become sexy. :D

Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:08 pm

91 Suburban with a 4" lift and 35s. Other than the seating, I can get close by putting a sturdy shell on the bed of my 87 Silverado.

w3rdtoyamama

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:48 pm

F650 :lol:
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:34 am

UNimog , any year, but older would better!!!!
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Silverbug
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything on C-SPAN, because I refuse to believe that most of the people on there are not undead.

Post by Silverbug » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:13 am

This

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucd ... JGKo.bitly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome to the Poseidon. Contains it's own galley, sanitation, and a large open space for an enclosed greenhouse. Currently at $1,000 with a $10,000 deposit.

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:32 am

Mil Surplus Dodge W200 / M880

Already took it for a spin. It has issues, but it´s quite cheap.

- "needs" new window, crack on the passenger side. I can run it as is but sooner or later... ~ 250€ (thru local shop!)
- needs some tinkering with the carb and (probably?) distribute ketting. New distribute ketting and wheels set: 80$ (THe motor stuff is the hardest for me to work on, little experience but ready to learn. Since it´s a project, no problem having it sitting for some time to do the work, have a DD besides it)
- needs new gas filter
- could use some work on the interiour (no problem)
- dents (minor thing, and at least not the least bit of Bondo on the whole rig.... honest rig, i don´t mind the dents too much)
- window seals, but cheap to renew. You can buy the stuff needed from a roll, cut to your size i´ve been told.
- play in the steering, can be tightened but it will induce more wear i´ve been told. Since it has no power steering, the play is less of an issue while driving because no sudden moves happen after "unresponsive" time. Former owner "just got used to it" and i can see that in a matter of day´s i could get used to it too. After all, i´ve driven a Car from 1977 whithout PS before as a Daily Driver, despite my youth.
- i already know that the whole driveshaft stuff is not the most sturdy, but i think it´ll be no issue for the kinda use it will see with me
- permanent 4x4, could be a pro too but you always need to spend the gas for the 4x4.

+ price is about the same as if i´d bought one in the US + shipping, but there´s a lot of work already done on this one that the ones from the surplus store haven´t done yet.
(originally not as low, but the owner called me back a couple of hours after i´ve driven it and lowered the price:"Listen, i´d rather have you take it and get 1500€ less then sell it to those rockabilly punks that came to look at it after you left...i feel like it´s in better hands with you")
+ original Mil M880, US Army plaquette and original Warranty sticker intact.
+ cheap insurance, safety check only every two years instead of one. Still one year until next check is due. (cheaper Insurance then my current DD!)
+ frame + bed + cabin already restored (de-rusted + painted), but could use some prettying up (inside the cab)
+ almost no rust
+ Bumper is listed in title (important here to have it legal, not shown on the pic but is mounted now)
+ 5/4 tons of payload (1250 kilogramms) Still driveable with normal driving license for cars here even when fully loaded (up to 3.5 tons of weight including payload)
+ love the old thing, it impersonates 70´s pickups for me and it´s living history as it saw combat.
+ US Army left most of them in Germany when they got rid of them as well as all the brand spanking new spare parts, there are special M880 clubs in Holland and quite a few M880´s still left in germany.
+ relatively easy to work on, old technique (which can also be a (-)
+ will probably still run after an EMP/CME (not that important, but hey...! can´t hurt)
+ it´s a tank
+ my co workers already declared me "insane in a good way" to consider it.... :lol:

I´ll stop now, it´s probably boring for you guys....

Edited about 20 times for grammatics and stuff.... lol

JoeTosco

Post by JoeTosco » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:11 pm

No, I liked the post.

By the way, if your didn't, creat a topic for the truck and show the step by step saga. 8-)
Andre Miranda

Just a guy who likes Guns, Bows, Blades, Tactical Gear, aircooled VW's, and girls.

My bowie
My small utility knife
My sharp finger knife
My longbow

p00ch
Favorite Zombie Movies: Im really into TWD series but any zombie flick will suffice

Post by p00ch » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:19 pm

JoeTosco wrote:No, I liked the post.

By the way, if your didn't, creat a topic for the truck and show the step by step saga. 8-)
Quick thread hijack here .... Im pretty new here ,just where would you post a build thread of some sorts .... transportation? or is there a dedicated spot for that (I havent noticed any) just wondering ... thanks [end hijack]

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:44 pm

In honor of Talk Like a Pirate Day. Man ye yardarms and prepare to heave to!

Yes, I want one badly. No, I have no practical use for one.

w3rdtoyamama

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:48 pm

p00ch wrote:

Quick thread hijack here .... Im pretty new here ,just where would you post a build thread of some sorts .... transportation? or is there a dedicated spot for that (I havent noticed any) just wondering ... thanks [end hijack]
Transportation is where you'd want to be. You'll notice a lot of BOB vehicle build threads.

p00ch

Post by p00ch » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:01 am

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
p00ch wrote:

Transportation is where you'd want to be. You'll notice a lot of BOB vehicle build threads.
Thanks ... thats what I thought just wanted to be sure. Ive already got my build thread started ... everyone go check it out ,its pic heavy :D

w3rdtoyamama

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:08 am

Yeah, I saw it AFTER I replied here. It's late. I like it!

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:52 am

No, I liked the post.

Thanks! Will do as soon as i buy it. I´ll probably decide today or tomorrow but i´m leaning towards fetching it up... :mrgreen:

p00ch

Post by p00ch » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:20 am

FrANkNstEin wrote:
No, I liked the post.

Thanks! Will do as soon as i buy it. I´ll probably decide today or tomorrow but i´m leaning towards fetching it up... :mrgreen:
Ill be keeping my eye out for a build on it was well .... nice m880

CiggsWar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero's flicks classic, I like a bunch of them esp vehicles

Post by CiggsWar » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:19 pm

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z317076925
I was in shame lusting after this in such a way untill I saw the price tag than the lust stopped lol But I like the half track concept, makes for a nice lawn addition unstead of those lame garden gnomes unless there military gnomes:)

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:25 pm

FrANkNstEin wrote: + US Army left most of them in Germany when they got rid of them as well as all the brand spanking new spare parts, there are special M880 clubs in Holland and quite a few M880´s still left in germany.

ya, we have a strange habbit of leaving stuff behind. :lol:

Did you get the truck? i think it would be a good buy and likely a very unique vehicle in your AO
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

TaterTot_137

Post by TaterTot_137 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:15 pm

Biggin wrote:The most epic BOV ever has been discovered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lun-class_ekranoplan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://pics.livejournal.com/igor113/pic/007t4kb1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just scat myself...
The only thing that scares me more than zombies? Squirrels. D*mn those squirrels...

"We were expecting the navy, but wound up with anti-zombie militia. They had varying degrees of success." -Ilom, Operation: Decomp

Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:18 pm

Lifted my XJ and now I've got some driveline vibes I hope to lose with this hack and tap. http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/feature ... d-offroad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:25 pm

Suburban HD Z71 Diesel

Quick Shot xMLx

Post by Quick Shot xMLx » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Cool trucks, definitely need to get some kind of cheap truck just in case. I have literally the worst BOV known to man, top 5 worst at least.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Quick Shot xMLx wrote:Cool trucks, definitely need to get some kind of cheap truck just in case. I have literally the worst BOV known to man, top 5 worst at least.
A Prius?

I couldn't resist, honest.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Tater Raider wrote:
Quick Shot xMLx wrote:Cool trucks, definitely need to get some kind of cheap truck just in case. I have literally the worst BOV known to man, top 5 worst at least.
A Prius?

I couldn't resist, honest.
I was going to say "Yugo". :lol:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Return to “Transportation”