Regulators BOV (pic heavy)

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Regulators BOV (pic heavy)

Post by Regulator » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:44 pm

Or what I’ve been spending all my time and money on…

So it’s an ’81 Chevy K5 Blazer. I got it with a fresh crate 350, turbo 350 and good tires. Otherwise, bone stock with your average busted and rusty parts an pieces. I have big plans for it but for this thread I’m gonna stick to what I’ve actually done to it. Of course if you wanna know what my future plans are I’ll tell ya.

This is shortly after I got it. I hadn’t done anything at this point except tint the windows and add the POW plate an ZS stickers. The smoke is not the engine, lol. We’ll get into that later.

First off, patch holes. Fiberglass cloth, jelly, foam and some time and it’s gtg for a bit longer.

Decided to rip the interior out next. Painted a lot of plastic and around where the door panels fit. Added new weather strip, sound dampening mat, and mylar coated foam sheeting to the doors. Cleaned and/or replaced dash bulbs. Installed black coated SS window vents on each side.

And chopped a big hole in the dash because I need more space. A little hail screen and fiberglass later and I had this.

I forgot my camera the day I put in new seats, but these now both tip forward and recline completely, as opposed to the standard Blazer seats that don’t do either. I put in new covers and mollee panels on the backs for additional storage. Also installed helicopter jump seats in the rear.

About this time I installed new manual locking hubs, new shocks, heavy duty steering stabilizer, headers and had a shop install new exhaust from the headers back to the resonator tips I provided. No pics, not to exciting.

I did however, decide I needed a gun rack. So here’s what I came up with. Piece of a phonebook wrapped with duct tape with metal behind at an angle to deflect any possible ND's in cab. The yokes slide forward and back to accept any length of rifle.

I sanded down the exterior shell and repainted it and well, you gotta have a roof rack, so I built one of those. Also installed new weather strip on the back window.

And a light bar.

You may notice in the above pics a step designed to be put into the receiver mount (yep, put a hidden hitch on too). But the step is important because next project is a body lift.

Now that the body is up I can start new projects, like fixing the rusted out places in the bed.

I knocked out a few little things at this point just to get ‘em done. Like replaced the shitty busted plastic door handles with wood ones.

Painted some more of the interior plastic.

Fabbed up a mount for my battery isolator and remote inverter.

With the body now at the height I wanted it, I knew where to mount the new bumper. I just had to build it yet. So I busted out the welder again and here’s that.

And a heavy bumper deserves a heavy winch. 1200 pound hydraulic. Tucked in under the truck. The bumper is now 3/8 of an inch closer to the truck than the factory one was.

And more bumper to keep the zombies outta the radiator.

Had to mod some lights to accept the stock bulbs so I’d have blinkers.

Some primer and paint and we got this.

As it turned out, a guy backed into it just yesterday at the mailboxes. He said it was very solid, lol. Fortunately it didn’t hurt his little S-10. I think he just hit my tow hooks (installed after the last pic), because I can’t even see a scuff on my bumper.

Well that pretty much brings us up to date on BOV progress. I’ll update this thread as I waste more time and money. Questions and comments welcome.

TL DR; That’s why there’s pictures.

bugoutvehicles.net

Re: Regulators BOV (pic heavy)

Post by bugoutvehicles.net » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:53 pm

cool truck, For the gunrack I have a military chevy blazer coming that im going to be restoring. the m16 rack mounts behind the drivers seat beside the support post. Im taking this one out so its yours for the asking just pay actual shipping. Designed for the M16 but fits lots of stuff. Its going behind the shed if you dont want it.
I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man. George Washington
owner of http://www.bugoutvehicles.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; / http://www.robertsenviroservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:03 pm

Can't beat the price, lemme know when you want it gone an I'll send ya some money. Thanks!

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:11 pm

You've put some serious work into that so far. Excellent work!
WWSD?

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:15 pm

Does that road sign actually say, "ZS Road"? :shock:

There's got to be a story behind that...
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:30 pm

Do. Want.

I can't wait for the day when I can engage in something on this scale of awesomeness!!!

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Great thread!! I appreciate the time and effort of taking and posting all those pictures.

Can you take a pic of the vehicle now that it is lifted from the side showing the ground clearance?

Any plans on painting and what color?

Any additional plans you have I'd like to hear them.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:38 pm

Looks good man. Love the road sign.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Dom LRS
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead (Series), Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days, Resident Evil, Dawn of the Dead, I am Legend (Peter Cushing) version & The Omega Man

Post by Dom LRS » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:35 am

Great rig mate like the console gun rack!

How about some limb riser cables from bullbar to roofbar - should assist defecting branches and stop Z's from climbing the hood, for mine im devising a drop down mesh cover for the screen

Dom
When confronted by an adult African male Lion reach into your pants and throw wet shit in its face

If you think you wont have any trust me - There will be plenty of shit!

man in black
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead
return of the living dead
28 days later
28 weeks later

Post by man in black » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:48 am

this. is so fucking COOL! goddamn! DO WANT! i love what you have done to the seats, if i were you i would'nt repaint the outside to give it more of a grey man look so noone looks twice at it. sweet lord this is fucking amazing.

wish i had the money and know how to build something similar to this.
As we run into the house
The wall of dead surrounds
Tentacles of decay flesh
Tear and pull us down
Doors and windows boarded shut
But the pressure was too much
Zombie I, girl please run away

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevincurbstomp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- my tumblr

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:32 am

Kevlar, Well sure. *You don’t have a ZS Rd where you live?

USMCSergeant, I’ll try an get you a couple pics tomorrow. As far as paint goes, I’d really like to paint it digital camo in black, white and grey like my bike. I’m a bit torn though because currently no-one looks twice at the truck, the bike may as well be neon pink as much attention as it gets. I sorta like being invisible in the truck. Future plans include rear roll bar, pipe bumper, can/tool racks, lower exoskeleton, snorkel, gear drive, and the fun stuff like smoke screens and rocket launchers. :mrgreen:

Dom LRS, That’s a great idea I hadn’t thought of. I have considered putting a cable cutter vertically on the front bumper that would fold up and lock in place to protect the windshield/my head.

man in black, You made me lol for real. Glad you like it. You decide to do one yourself I’ll give ya any info you need.

*Kevlar, It’s photoshopped. Tryin not to tell the world where I live. Good eye though, you caught it quick.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:07 am

Come plete lee baddass.

As far as paint, go for it... all the grey primer & rust in the world will not keep eyes off all the goodies, so you might as well finish it up :lol:

6UNF1GHTER
Favorite Zombie Movies: I need to actually watch more of them before I can answer this.

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:12 am

Wow dude, that is some seriously nice fab/DIY there... I'm totally diggin' it!

Forgive me for the dumb question, but you said you are running a hydraulic winch.....
What is your setup on that? I might be a bit rusty, but IIRC you've got an NP205 T-Case in that year of Blazer? My '70 K20 DD/BOV has a 205 Transfer case, and I've been tossing the idea around of a non-electric winching recovery system... but the best that I've found is mechanical PTO via a gearbox either on the SM465 tranny or T case. I'm very curious to know how you did this, and more specifically what model winch is that?

I'd say you need to add some clevis/recovery hooks on the front and rear bumpers that you built. Tow points are always good.
After that, you could toss on a set of blackout lights on the brushguard and paint that bad boy NATO camo like the old M1009.

All in all, great thread on the build.... it's inspiring to see the progression in photos, it reminds me that I've got a lot of work ahead of me with old goldie.
Great BOV!

6UN~

over-thinking * over-analyzing
separates the body from the mind.

Foxy

Post by Foxy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:17 am

Dam good work, I need to start some projects like this!

Dutch253
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (does this count?), The Walking Dead(?)

Post by Dutch253 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Whoa. That is impressive man. I wish I had the skills that you do. I was looking at your first pictures and thinking, " What a piece of crap, what is he going to make from that rust bucket?" Man was I wrong that is AWESOME!
"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, "Sandpeople always ride single-file, to hide their numbers."

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:10 pm

USMCSergeant, Here’s a pic from the side. 21½ inches from ground to rocker panel, 19 from ground to bumper. Diffs are lower of course but I didn’t crawl under to measure.

maldon007, Yeah… I have about got myself talked into it. I have a few more things in mind to do before it would be ready for paint though. Maybe next year.

6UNF1GHTER, Thanks, and yes, it is a 205 T-Case. The winch runs off the steering pump. I have the military version, but the civvy version is Here I added tow hooks to the bumper within a day or two of that pic. You can see them above. The rear bumper just has the receiver hitch, until spring anyway. Blackouts and infared are on the list too.

Dutch253, This is the 6th Blazer I’ve had. Lotsa practice :lol:

6UNF1GHTER
Favorite Zombie Movies: I need to actually watch more of them before I can answer this.

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:23 am

Regulator:
YVW, looks like a very nice solid platform for a BOV project... and thanks for the link to the winch, I didn't know anything about running a hydraulic winch from the PS pump until I read up on that from your link, that is interesting indeed! All this time I was thinking about another way to run a non electric. Good info bro!

What sort of baseline MPG are you getting with it?
T-

db_tanker
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by db_tanker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:37 am

heartily approve of the hydraulic winch...

Even though you can't use it when the engine isn't running, that is the only drawback. I myself have always been partial to fluid-power over using up what might have to start the engine. :P
I know there are arguments for and against, but I have never known anyone to ruin a PS pump by using the winch too much.

The ultimate would be a PTO driven winch IMO, but that is another story...

As for the rest, you have done a damn good job. I didn't think they threw down that much road salt in KS...but then I didn't realize that there were mountains in KS either. :D
Last edited by db_tanker on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vitesse Et Puissance

"She is startin' to damage my calm!"

NRA Life member
TSRA
ex-tank sniper =)

Matsuo

Post by Matsuo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:33 am

Notes... I'm takin' em!

Dont know if I missed it, did you lift the suspension or just the body?

Love the bumper mods and the roof rack and light bar. What kind of fastners did you use on the rack? Did you use self tappers into the fiberglass or go through and through with a nut and bolt?

Also, any issues with the tailgate window? Mines a 76 and it's all kinds of fubar, I'm having trouble locating an 'intact' complete unit, I really dont want to gut it and replace everything and rebuild it but I will if I have to.

M
I've got a message from the action man.... " I'm happy, hope you're happy too. "...

MATSUCORP!

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:26 am

Love the buildup
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:15 pm

6UNF1GHTER, Oh yeah, about that… around 9mpg, lol. Bit in it’s defense, it does run fully loaded with tools, recovery gear, extra parts and fluids, tall and wide tires and a lot of extra steel. 33 gal tank, so almost 300 mile range.

db_tanker, They used to use a lot of salt back when the truck was young. Now it’s mostly some liquid chemical. And don’t feel bad, the mountains are hard to find.

Matsuo, Just a 3 inch body lift to give room for larger tires and enable me to mount the winch under the radiator to keep the truck short. I have helper springs to install that claim another 3 inches but I got them just for increased load capacity. We’ll see how much they raise the truck.

The roof rack is attached with 3/8 bolts backed up with fender washers. Tailgate windows are notorious for going bad. Mine is electric and would jump a tooth or two sometimes and get crooked. I fixed this by bending both gears down slightly and then putting a strip of plastic under them. The gears now run against the plastic but the bend keeps them meshed. I will no doubt have to replace the plastic periodically. ’76, that’s the first year of full tops isn’t it?

6UNF1GHTER

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Regulator wrote:6UNF1GHTER, Oh yeah, about that… around 9mpg, lol. Bit in it’s defense, it does run fully loaded with tools, recovery gear, extra parts and fluids, tall and wide tires and a lot of extra steel. 33 gal tank, so almost 300 mile range.
That's the line of reasoning that I use on my rig also, since I'm in the gas guzzler BOV club too it seems.
I was getting about 7 or 8 with my '70 K20 with the original 350 and Quadrajet carb. Replaced it with an Edelbrock, fine tuned metering jets and rods 2 steps lean.... best I get now is 10 to 11. Those 456 gears and 31" tall tires don't help it much at the moment.
:evil:

Oh, and that crate 350 needs to be sent back for a re-ring. She's a little smoky there. 8)
so what's the trick....?

I'll take back my comment that you should paint it camo, just leave it primer grey for now.
In my neck of the woods, a primered or otherwise multi-colored vehicle is about as grey man as it gets.

Takin' notes here too!
T-

MrMendigo
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Army of Darkness, and The Evil Dead,
Shawn of the dead, ect.

Post by MrMendigo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Love the build. I appreciate the work you've put into it. It looks great.

Please don't take this statement as a flame, but I disagree with using the Flag of The United States of America as a headliner.

Matsuo

Post by Matsuo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:47 am

Not sure about what years and the varieties of tops, but mine is just like yours minus the sliding windows.

This time last year I moved and my truck was my main moving vehicle... overuse of the tailgate and the constant cranking up and down of the window several times a day over the course of a week destroyed what was already a rickety crank and regulator.. :x I opened it up and the mojority of the crank and lock components just fell out. The lock and the gear interface pinion are pot metal, though the gears are steel the frigen pot metal they were riveted to just disintigrated. If I could figure out a lift up style window I would and just eliminate the 'crank the window down into the tailgate' option all together.

Also, that's some mighty fine welding... I sure could use your help on my truck..:)

As for paint... Needs more ZS...LOL

M
I've got a message from the action man.... " I'm happy, hope you're happy too. "...

MATSUCORP!

Return to “Transportation”