What did you today for your BOV/how did you prepare your BOV

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kellikastle

Re: What did you today for your BOV/how did you prepare your

Post by Kellikastle » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:34 pm

OK so this was not all done in one day. Picked up a new (to me) truck bed trailer with 2 spare wheels. It is rusty, dented and has what is left of a 70s orange original paint job. It has been sitting in a field for the last 20 years. It is an 8 ft , Ford F250 bed from the early 70’s. It has a big ¾ ton trailer axel under it, not the original truck 9” rear end. Pulled the wheels and checked the bearings, they look fine and were well packed with grease. The wheels are, 8 bolt 16” that match my truck! I replaced all the rotted trailer tires with new 245/65/16 AT ‘E’ rated tires that also match the ones on my truck. Pulled the Truck Camper out of the bed of my truck and transferred it to the trailer. I took the set up for a test drive in town and on the highway. It pulled much smoother than I expected all the way up to 80mph, the ‘V” shaped trailer axel makes a big difference. It will eat the tires up on the inside edge faster and I will have to have them flipped occasionally but the way it pulls behind the truck is worth it. The trailer rides a bit too low for my taste, so I am planning to try air shocks or coil over shocks on it. If that does not work then I will end up doing an axel flip to put it under the original leaf springs.
Added a truck tool box to the bed of my truck now that it is not toting the truck camper all the time. I attached a third spare tire to the tool box in the bed of the truck. Had the outside of the trailer covered in bed Rhino Liner. I still have work to do on the floor of the trailer. I also mounted the 2 spare tires and a new the trailer jack to the front of the trailer. I now have 5 spare tires that fit both the truck and the trailer, the truck carries 3 all the time and the trailer has 2 on the front of it now. (the guys at the tire store think I am bit nuts for having 3 spares on the truck and 2 on the trailer but were happy to sell me the tires)
Next project, the Truck Camper, I have gutted it already and plan on re-building the interior.

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:52 pm

been a while since i posted in here, so here is what I added/ bought as of recently

- Nitrous Outlet Diesel Nitrous Kit... hey why not? 100hp jet installed right now.

- Cobra 29 Nightwatch CB, 3 ft firestik II with Firestik fire ring coaxial.

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

Kellikastle

Post by Kellikastle » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:35 pm

Yesterday I fitted and mounted the truck camper in the truck bed trailer. This will make it easier to work on and provide me with a way to transport it should the need arise suddenly. I can remove it without much problem and put it back on the truck in under an hour.
Today, Removed the original water tank (30 gal) from the camper, to re-plumb it and clean everything up for the additional installation of a side mounted 55gal drum for additional water supply. Since the drum is going to be mounted on its side I do not know exactly how many gallons it will hold, I am hoping for 45+ gallons. When I am done I will have both the original 30 gallons plus the 45+ gallons in the new drum/tank. It seems to me that, 75 gallons of fresh drinking water is a good thing to have on hand… just in case.
I have already pulled the original sinks and counter-top, the new sink and counter-top will be much smaller and be hooked back into the original drain plumbing. That drains straight out of the side of the camper to a portable 5 gallon dump tank. (Bucket) This was the way the camper was set up in 1974 when it was built, seems to work fine for me, no toting around the gray water.
Since I am moving the battery bank to put the secondary water tank in, I am also cleaning up and re doing the 12 volt wiring and battery bank that runs all the lights, radios and fans. (The deep-cycle batteries are being charged off the solar panels on the roof. ) These also power a 12vDC/110vAC 700watt inverter for additional power needs. This will be replaced with a much larger inverter soon that will be able to be switched or plugged in to the existing 110vAC system, lights and power outlets, when not on “shore power”. This truck camper is a power source for both my larger 26ft trailer and for others that may be “camping” with me if the need arises. With this in-mind I also have a small 700watt generator that will stay in the truck camper and am trying to figure out if it is practical to mount a 3000 watt generator in the truck camper. (Still working on that idea)

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Kellikastle wrote:Yesterday I fitted and mounted the truck camper in the truck bed trailer. This will make it easier to work on and provide me with a way to transport it should the need arise suddenly. I can remove it without much problem and put it back on the truck in under an hour.
Today, Removed the original water tank (30 gal) from the camper, to re-plumb it and clean everything up for the additional installation of a side mounted 55gal drum for additional water supply. Since the drum is going to be mounted on its side I do not know exactly how many gallons it will hold, I am hoping for 45+ gallons. When I am done I will have both the original 30 gallons plus the 45+ gallons in the new drum/tank. It seems to me that, 75 gallons of fresh drinking water is a good thing to have on hand… just in case.
I have already pulled the original sinks and counter-top, the new sink and counter-top will be much smaller and be hooked back into the original drain plumbing. That drains straight out of the side of the camper to a portable 5 gallon dump tank. (Bucket) This was the way the camper was set up in 1974 when it was built, seems to work fine for me, no toting around the gray water.
Since I am moving the battery bank to put the secondary water tank in, I am also cleaning up and re doing the 12 volt wiring and battery bank that runs all the lights, radios and fans. (The deep-cycle batteries are being charged off the solar panels on the roof. ) These also power a 12vDC/110vAC 700watt inverter for additional power needs. This will be replaced with a much larger inverter soon that will be able to be switched or plugged in to the existing 110vAC system, lights and power outlets, when not on “shore power”. This truck camper is a power source for both my larger 26ft trailer and for others that may be “camping” with me if the need arises. With this in-mind I also have a small 700watt generator that will stay in the truck camper and am trying to figure out if it is practical to mount a 3000 watt generator in the truck camper. (Still working on that idea)

Good stuff! I finally dropped my bed cap/ camper shell/ canopy/ whatever you want to call it, off to be painted the same color as my truck. My truck is white. Cap is red. But I couldn't turn it down for $100!! So hopefully by Sunday we will have it back on the truck and painted. Then I can start outfitting my truck bed properly!

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:42 pm

so I got the truck cap painted and installed, a cobra25 nightwatch CB installed, and a KC lightbar with 4 HID off road lights installed. if you look closely, under the lightbar, in the bumper you will also see a LED lightbar! I think I am set on forward lighting, HAHA!Image

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:23 pm

New shift knob in the '90 RT4WD Civic.

Fun fun fun.

When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:52 pm

In the process of selling the mothership. The Van will be replaced with a Jeep KK.

:clap:
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:34 pm

I found a clever idea for some modular storage for a truck bed using ammo cans over at http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-p ... orage.html

So I bought some nuts and bolts and other assorted hardware to see what I can come up with. Oh, and the ammo can, too. Can't have too many, besides. :P
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:31 pm

got the truck lifted using 7" Icon lift kit with 37" Toyo MT's. sumabish rides actually very very good. Truck needs to be washed badly!

eugene

Post by eugene » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Saturday replaced rotors and pads on al corners with Raybestos heavy duty.
Today ordered 4 Rancho 9000 shocks.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:35 pm

New rear shocks came today
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Shink

Post by Shink » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:30 am

Swapped the mini spare for a full sized spare.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:05 am

Changed the oil and rotated the tires.... it's all about the little things.

I also just zip-tied a deer skull and antlers to my front grille because I knew it's ugly and obnoxious. Will be good for intimidation during the end of the world...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:58 am

Exchange took place. Now driving a Jeep Cherokee / Liberty KK with a 2.8l Diesel Engine.

Nice one, knowing that it's a compact size Jeep considered in the US.
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:43 am

Not today exactly but over the last week I just upgraded my 2001 Honda CRV to all terrain Geolander tires, tinted the windows for a little extra security and UV protection, and got a hard shell roof top cargo carrier to increase the gear I can carry.

All things I had wanted to do when I bought the vehicle and finally had the $ to do. Next project is a brush guard for the front bumper. Though not sure how long till I can afford that.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:12 pm

How does it look with the all terrains on the CRV?

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:09 pm

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:How does it look with the all terrains on the CRV?
Pretty good, it doesn't change the look much as they are the pretty much same size as the regular tires, just with a much more aggressive tread. Though the spare is much tighter on the back and for the spare cover I have than the stock tires. I actually had trouble finding 5 tires in an all terrain as many of the all terrains in the size for a CRV have been discontinued, and most places had less than 4 in stock for most of these discontinued brands. LOL. What you gonna do with less than 4 tires? But the Yokohama Geolander tires seemed to be still in production and are quite impressive. The Geolander has some great reviews and a very loyal following it seems, so I don't see them discontinuing it anytime soon.

I do eventually want to get a very modest lift kit on the CRV. Nothing crazy, but just a small height advantage. Even with the stock tires on it though, I was taking into into the NJ Pine Barrens on the 4X4 trails. While I would avoid the big deep mud puddles everything else was no problem sand, mud, bumps, hills, logs, etc and that was with stock tires. Now with all terrain tires I feel even more confident in some off road driving. Though wont be taking it into the Pines again, as I am heading back cross country to the Pac NW. So I will be using it on the trails out there.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:20 pm

yeah they are good tires. you should be good with them, as far as you understand their limits.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:25 am

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:yeah they are good tires. you should be good with them, as far as you understand their limits.
Yep no worries there, I am pretty understanding of the limits. I know they don't replace chains in snow etc. I also know my CRV is not a true 4X4 and understand it is not made to do heavy 4X4ing, just some light duty off roading. While I know I can push it to do some things most would not recommend for such a vehicle, I know to not push too far.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:47 pm

I've been having some death wobble develop in the front of my 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (you jeep guys know what I mean). I had recently sold a ton of old electronics crap on eBay that I never used, and put the money towards damn-near rebuilding the entire front end of my Jeep. So this weekend, I have a huge pile of parts to install/replace this weekend:

-Upper/lower front ball joints.
-Axle shaft u-joints
-Grand Cherokee steering upgrade
-Currie upper and lower control arms with Johnny Joints
-Wheel hub assemblies for both sides

I also picked up a pair of shock extension brackets for my rear shocks to get them away from the lower spring perches while flexing.

i also bought a new camper here earlier this year, it's a 2008 Fleetwood Evolution E2 "off road" toyhauler popup. Maybe not an ideal bug-out vehicle, but its' pretty sweet and it'll work well for us to start doing some boondocking trips if we want. (Not in Iowa, nowhere to do it here.)
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

benja455

Post by benja455 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:32 pm

uncleben03 wrote:I've been having some death wobble develop in the front of my 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (you jeep guys know what I mean). I had recently sold a ton of old electronics crap on eBay that I never used, and put the money towards damn-near rebuilding the entire front end of my Jeep. So this weekend, I have a huge pile of parts to install/replace this weekend:

-Upper/lower front ball joints.
-Axle shaft u-joints
-Grand Cherokee steering upgrade
-Currie upper and lower control arms with Johnny Joints
-Wheel hub assemblies for both sides

I also picked up a pair of shock extension brackets for my rear shocks to get them away from the lower spring perches while flexing.

i also bought a new camper here earlier this year, it's a 2008 Fleetwood Evolution E2 "off road" toyhauler popup. Maybe not an ideal bug-out vehicle, but its' pretty sweet and it'll work well for us to start doing some boondocking trips if we want. (Not in Iowa, nowhere to do it here.)
I went through this process on my XJ...what a disaster. I finally just gave up on it and got an Subaru Outback VDC. I lost some cargo room and true 4x4 but gained on-road comfort and I haven't seen my life flash before my eyes while doing 60 MPH on the highway (one of the many symptoms of death wobble).

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:37 pm

I had the death wobble in my 2008 Wrangler X. Replaced my steering stabilizer and it went away. :?:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

benja455

Post by benja455 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:46 pm

Beowolf wrote:I had the death wobble in my 2008 Wrangler X. Replaced my steering stabilizer and it went away. :?:

Steering stabilizers typically just dampen or mask the sensation of death wobble - they don't cure it.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:59 pm

Yes, yes, I knew someone was going to come in with that. Just saying what worked for me.

Bolts were tight, tie rods were good, nothing was bent or out of place. I bought the newer version of the track bar but didn't get around to installing it before I traded the Jeep in on a new 2014 Willys edition. :)

The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Return to “Transportation”