What did you today for your BOV/how did you prepare your BOV

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: What did you today for your BOV/how did you prepare your

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:10 am

MaconCJ7 wrote:Congrats on the new BIL!! hurry and get settled in so you can get after the more important things like chips and lifts.
thanks bro.. btw your powder shipped this morning... so hopefully a week you should have your goodies.

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

FrankisSteezy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series, The Walking Dead, Pretty much all of them

Post by FrankisSteezy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:58 am

well.. my work car which has 40k on it.. Chevy Impala the trans blew up out of no wheres. had to practice pushing it since new jersey is full of assholes who cant stop to lend a hand. :x

Last night how ever we updated our VBOB in my personal vehicle.
Zombie Exterminator

Black

Post by Black » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:36 am

First a quick story... I ordered swaybar end links, track bar, and tie-rod setup to replace the stock stuff in my Jeep. A couple weeks ago I tried to install the tie-rod setup and found out it was for a RHD vehicle. No big deal, sent it back and my new ones arrived today. But, last night, I tried to put in the swaybar end links and... guess what? The site had mislabeled it. So, today I'm installing the correct tie-rod stuff and returning the end links :vmad:. My poor Jeep has been garaged for weeks because of this.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Black wrote: A couple weeks ago I tried to install the tie-rod setup and found out it was for a RHD vehicle. No big deal, sent it back and my new ones arrived today.
I'm assuming there was a reason you couldn't just reverse it or flip it over?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:23 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Black wrote: A couple weeks ago I tried to install the tie-rod setup and found out it was for a RHD vehicle. No big deal, sent it back and my new ones arrived today.
I'm assuming there was a reason you couldn't just reverse it or flip it over?
Probably had a component that was inverse of the size he needed.

If on a RHD, the Part X-Left on the left side is 12", and part X-Right on the right side is 8", the X-Right part is probably 12" on a LHD car. If that made any sense :lol:

I hate when wrong parts show up, especially if said vehicle is your only mode of transportation.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

painprophet

Post by painprophet » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:14 pm

-Bought two 5 gallon cans for gas, filled them up and put in stabil. Have an empty 5 gallon one that I'm going to fill up, probably going to buy another two 5 gallon gas tanks.
-Bought a 7 gallon can for water.
-Ordered a Tuffy security drawer for my Jeep to replace to bestop instatrunk to give me more locking storage
-Ordered bag and bear spray (lol things you will buy to get free shipping) from lapolicegear that I will use as a GHB to keep in the security drawer, been picking up items here and there to put in it when it gets here
-Went to hardware store and bought 4 of bolts, washers, and wing nuts so I can secure a toolbox to the top of the security drawer
If common sense was common, everyone would have it...

ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by 530 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:23 pm

on my Get Home Vehicle.. which coincidentally is my Get To Work Vehicle..

Changed engine oil
changed out front tires.. actually was the 2 lefts that were experiencing some separation.. which explains the vibration I felt last week.. the 2 "new to me" tires went on the front.
replaced drinking water with fresh
did some maintenance on spare tire carrier and moved the tire so the pressure can be checked/adjusted
added some more tools and a can of Brakleen

Eric
I'm new here.. reading as many posts as possible.. but give me a break, please

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:09 am

ordered up a set of add-a-leaves for the rear end. this way my leveled truck is actually leveled, as right now the front is actually higher than the rear.... no bueno, dont like that look.

also ordered up stuff for my BOQ (Bug Out Quad). New handlebars, and all the items for a complete tuneup. Once those are installed, I can start on "Project Stealth BOQ"

painprophet

Post by painprophet » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 am

Ripped out the bestop instatrunk and installed a Tuffy Security Drawer for more secure storage. Instatrunk only gave me room for tools, recovery equipment, air compressor, etc, no room for get home bag that I'm putting together and the Duracell Powerpack 600 I'm thinking about purchasing... Pictures for whoever is interested:

Before
During
After
If common sense was common, everyone would have it...

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 am

it looks great. nice and clean!

maxisback
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead

Post by maxisback » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:42 am

Nearly finished putting the truck bed liner on the chassis and underbody of my Land Rover. :clap:
Who Dares, Wins

ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by 530 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Scheduled maintenance.. oil change, lube, fresh water..yada yada

Added Tire chains.. yes, I fitted them to make sure they were right.
added snow shovel.

also resurrected my Jeep Cherokee.. starting with a clean slate on that one. kinda project rig at this time, but got it road worthy and legal over the T-day holiday. its sittin out front with a full tank of fuel and good tires .. hope it snows..
I'm new here.. reading as many posts as possible.. but give me a break, please

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:09 pm

$496.00 for new oil cooler fittings, one new oil cooler hose, and new main bearing seal.

For a couple days there I was getting about 4 miles per gallon of motor oil, and my driveway now beads up nice in the rain. :crazy:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Kellikastle

Post by Kellikastle » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:12 pm

I have been living in my Truck Camper/BOV for the past 28 days, finding flaws and fixing them. I camp out in it about 6 days a month with no problems but had not tried an extended stay in cooler weather. Yesterday I Installed "Temporary" wall and window insulation, Used standard 3/4" pink R4 wall insulation and a shrink fit window covering kit. Simply removed all hardware from the wall, cut to fit snugly and push in place, then re-install hardware with longer screws and bigger washers. Added second layer around the 35 gallon water tank and isolated it from the inside venting, still have air coming in from the outside into the tank bay, till I can pull the camper off the truck and seal it from the outside. I am using a 110v household oil-space heater in the camper with a small fan to move the air around. It was 28*F last night, light snow with 20+ MPH winds and I woke up hot had to open a roof hatch to cool down. I also have a "Mr. Heater, Base Camp Heater" (and a small tank refill adapter,) to heat the rig on propane. I am going to try the propane heater tonight with expected temp of 21*F. I am looking into the feasibility of a properly vented, small wood/coal heating/cooking stove as a permanent install. Has anyone used spray-on bed liner on the outside of a camper? if so what were the results?

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Kellikastle wrote:Image

I have been living in my Truck Camper/BOV for the past 28 days, finding flaws and fixing them. I camp out in it about 6 days a month with no problems but had not tried an extended stay in cooler weather. Yesterday I Installed "Temporary" wall and window insulation, Used standard 3/4" pink R4 wall insulation and a shrink fit window covering kit. Simply removed all hardware from the wall, cut to fit snugly and push in place, then re-install hardware with longer screws and bigger washers. Added second layer around the 35 gallon water tank and isolated it from the inside venting, still have air coming in from the outside into the tank bay, till I can pull the camper off the truck and seal it from the outside. I am using a 110v household oil-space heater in the camper with a small fan to move the air around. It was 28*F last night, light snow with 20+ MPH winds and I woke up hot had to open a roof hatch to cool down. I also have a "Mr. Heater, Base Camp Heater" (and a small tank refill adapter,) to heat the rig on propane. I am going to try the propane heater tonight with expected temp of 21*F. I am looking into the feasibility of a properly vented, small wood/coal heating/cooking stove as a permanent install. Has anyone used spray-on bed liner on the outside of a camper? if so what were the results?
If you have a carbon monoxide dector good luck. If you don't then get one before you do this please. Safety 3rd.

Kellikastle

Post by Kellikastle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks, I travel with my young son and I do worry about those things. The camper has two carbon monoxide detectors, one near the floor, one combination smoke and carbon monoxide detector and a second smoke detector. I have one small vent near the floor at the back and also opened one of the two roof vents over the bed. The night was toasty warm,(almost 80* in the camper, 27* outside) did use up the entire small green propane tank in about 5 hours. The unit is on or off, no hi/low settings :(
Next I am going to try an improvised "mass storage" heater by heating a stack of 3- 10 &15 lb STEEL barbell weight plates on the stove, then letting them radiate heat through the night. Small test worked with one 10lb plate heated to 220*, stayed too hot to touch for about an hour and was radiating heat for several hours. Less risk of carbon monoxide in this, as the only time I need to vent the camper is when the stove is on, also should use less propane, if it works. Will post the results.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:26 pm

Little star cracks + (Cold * Defroster) = I had a new windshield put in today. Darn thing decided to play connect the dots with the rock chips yesterday morning.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Kellikastle

Post by Kellikastle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Kellikastle wrote:Thanks, I travel with my young son and I do worry about those things. The camper has two carbon monoxide detectors, one near the floor, one combination smoke and carbon monoxide detector and a second smoke detector. I have one small vent near the floor at the back and also opened one of the two roof vents over the bed. The night was toasty warm,(almost 80* in the camper, 27* outside) did use up the entire small green propane tank in about 5 hours. The unit is on or off, no hi/low settings :(
Next I am going to try an improvised "mass storage" heater by heating a stack of 3- 10 &15 lb STEEL barbell weight plates on the stove, then letting them radiate heat through the night. Small test worked with one 10lb plate heated to 220*, stayed too hot to touch for about an hour and was radiating heat for several hours. Less risk of carbon monoxide in this, as the only time I need to vent the camper is when the stove is on, also should use less propane, if it works. Will post the results.

Small mass heat storage test, opened floor vent and roof vent during initial heating, closed them when I turned off the flame. Heated 30lbs of steel to 342* (30 min on propane stove top) This raised the room temp to 80*. (starting room temp was 40*, outside air temp 36*) One hour later, with small fan running to circulate the air, the temp of the steel was 236* room temp was holding at 80* outside air temp now 34*. Two hours, steel temp 150* room temp 74* outside air temp 34* with mild wind. Three hours, steel temp 85* room temp 70* outside temp 33* with mild wind. Four hours, steel temp 67* room temp 57* out side temp 33* …turned on electric heater and went to sleep
My conclusion, 30 minutes of propane, heated the space well for more than 3 hours. I have no idea how much propane was used in that 30 min, but way better than keeping it on for 3 hours and less carbon dioxide output.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:02 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:...Itty bitty fire extinguisher, but easy access for quick response. Enough to ensure all occupants get out. Below the gauges is a switch for my chip. Below the fire extinguisher is an Edge Insight so I can monitor vehicle stuffs.
Image...

Chiming in late here but you really, really need to move that fire extinquisher. No matter how well you think you have it secured that thing will be flying around at head level in anything more than a minor fender bender. This drives me nuts when guys show up for driving schools and think it looks cool and safe... Most I see are just held in with a couple sheet metal screws! :shock:

Mount it on the floor in front of the center console or in front of your seat... Look where professional rally drivers, etc mount their safety equipment.

Ditto for A-pillar mounted tachs, gauges, etc. almost without exception they're just head injury inducing bad ideas.

Nice kit overall though...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Flushed the cooling system and replaced the coolant with an extended life coolant that's supposed to be good for 600k

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Went from a space saver to a full sized spare on my Forester...

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Great upgrade Confucius. I would have gone with an ugly ass steel wheel. That way if you need to be on the spare, the hideousness will remind you to get it fixed proper. But, a full size spare is great, if for no other reason than safety.
91Eunozs wrote: Chiming in late here but you really, really need to move that fire extinquisher. No matter how well you think you have it secured that thing will be flying around at head level in anything more than a minor fender bender. This drives me nuts when guys show up for driving schools and think it looks cool and safe... Most I see are just held in with a couple sheet metal screws! :shock:

Mount it on the floor in front of the center console or in front of your seat... Look where professional rally drivers, etc mount their safety equipment.

Ditto for A-pillar mounted tachs, gauges, etc. almost without exception they're just head injury inducing bad ideas.

Nice kit overall though...
Moving it is still a thought, if for no other reason than a gauge pillar. Not being a smart ass, just saying why it may be moved. There's a couple of items I would like standalone gauges for. As is sits, it's solid. Machine screws with 2" washers on the back. It won't rip through the pillar. Thus far, I haven't been able to get the pillar to wobble loose even a little. I'm pushing close to 400hp and over 700lbs tq. Heavy foot doesn't work it loose, neither does off road bumping.

I have taken the gear off the tailgate though. It was removed to go to the fair (too many sticky fingers), and I haven't yet replaced it. I found loading/unloading to be too much of a pita. I'll be procuring some gear mounts and mount the kit to the inner sides of the bed. Ammo cans are still solid. I went overkill with them, using 1/2" grade 8 bolts and the biggest washers they had. Not a lot of force applied to the mounting point, so I have no concern about them.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:39 pm

I had my reasons for going with the alloy (wanted to do a five tire rotation and I got the rim pretty cheap because it's scratched up), but because of a short, and yet extremely boring story, I'm sticking with a four tire rotation.

At least it doesn't have a TPMS so I get a nice idiot light to remind me I'm on a spare...

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Idiot light is a good reminder too.

Return to “Transportation”