4 cyl/4WD?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dynomike

4 cyl/4WD?

Post by dynomike » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:56 am

I was wondering if you guys had recommendations for a BOV that was 4 cylinder and 4WD. I was thinking about a 1st Gen Toyota RAV4 or 1st Gen Honda CR-V. I'm thinking about capability vs. fuel economy (and hoping to have my cake and eat it too). Any thoughts?
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them" - Thomas Paine

"If at first you don't succeed, call an airstrike" - Banksy

sawzall
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, evil dead/army of darkness, I am legend,

Re: 4 cyl/4WD?

Post by sawzall » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:02 am

jeep wranglers do come in 4cy 4wd not sure on gas mileage though.

remember that you may need the power of a 6cyl depending on where you are going it may be hard on a 4cyl pulling a lot of hills

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Post by driftking777 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:22 am

dynomike wrote:I was wondering if you guys had recommendations for a BOV that was 4 cylinder and 4WD. I was thinking about a 1st Gen Toyota RAV4 or 1st Gen Honda CR-V. I'm thinking about capability vs. fuel economy (and hoping to have my cake and eat it too). Any thoughts?
Just something i tend to notice with the 4cyl versions of anything thats an SUV and 4wd, they usually get only alittle better gas mileage than there v6 counterparts. If you wanting your PIE and to eat it too, look into something like a Subaru wagon. The slightly older ones (late 90's/ early 2000's) are cheap, easy to work on. And most of them get around 30mpg. Being a wagon they have a lot of room inside. Thats my opinion if you want both.

Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

Erik

Post by Erik » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:06 am

I think a 4cyl/4wd would be excellent in SHTF. You'd get four wheel drive capability, along with the all-important high mileage engine. Gas may be a verrry hard to get in SHTF and having more fuel efficiency may mean the difference between just barely making it to your destination or getting stranded and set upon by thugs.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:12 am

What the other guy said.

Often, vehicles with a 4/6cyl option only get marginally better mileage with the 4. The Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute is a good example. A guy I work with has a V6 Escape, a friend's wife has a 4 cylinder Tribute. Both automatics. The difference in Mileage? 3mpgs.

Also, look at which is more common. Even with similar fuel efficiency, it would suck to have the on 4cyl in the county when you need to salvage a water pump.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Raydarkhorse

Post by Raydarkhorse » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:28 am

I can share some of the experiences I have had with 4&6 cyl. 4X4s.
I have had 2 mid 80's Toyota P/U it had a R22 4cly. With 31x10.5x15 tires on one and 33's on the other and got about 22 MPG on the highway with the 31's and 17 with the 33's. One was an 84(with the 33's) and the other was an 86. The 86 had a lot more legroom the 84.
I have had an early 80's CJ5 with a 4cyl. Chevy engine with the same tires I was getting about 16 MPG on the highway.
And lastly I had a mid 90's Toyota 4runner with a 6cyl. Again same tires getting about 25MPG on the highway.

The Jeep and the Toyota P/Us all got me into places some really rough places, and both gave me very little mechanical problems. The 4Runner got a bit better mileage but the 6cyl. cost me much more to keep running and wasn't quite as robust in the hills as the Jeep or the P/U

On the highway the 4Runner had a LOT more power in the highway than either of the others, but in the end if I were to recommend a mid 80's to early 90's Toyota P/U with a topper.

Doxtar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead ( 2004 )
Resident evil series
28 days later

Post by Doxtar » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:42 pm

My planned BOV is going to be either a Suzuki Samurai or Suzuki Sidekick / Geo Tracker, depending on what I can find, living in Quebec, it gets difficult to find decent rust-free vehicule.

They may be small, but they are quite capable.
It's only a matter of how long we will survive, in the end, the zombies always win.

elkhills
Favorite Zombie Movies: An Inconvenient Truth

Post by elkhills » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Owned a 4 cylinder '92 Toyota 4x4 truck for 13 years, never should have sold it. Lifted, on 33s. That truck, and engine were absolutely bulletproof. Literally the only things I ever had to do to it were routine mtc type issues. Aside from regular oir & filter changes I had to: Replace a battery -once, the clutch -once, a headlight -did both anyway, once. In 13 years I never even had to change the brakes (yeah downshifting!).
Performance-wise, it was a dog. You aren't gonna do 90 fully loaded through over a mountain. Good gas mileage though, and off roading is more about low gearing than speed for me.
Buy the Toyota.

eugene

Post by eugene » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:45 pm

You have to be sure to get a manual transmission if you want the decent mileage, auto's suck what little power there is.
I had a 1988 Chevy s10, 4x4 2.5L 5 speed. Could hit ~30mpg and ran it almost to 200k miles when the body started to rust out. I sold it for a 2000 2wd 4 cylinder auto and could never get past 21mpg.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

fungusmunkey

Post by fungusmunkey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:07 am

eugene wrote:You have to be sure to get a manual transmission if you want the decent mileage, auto's suck what little power there is..
+1

donjulio

Post by donjulio » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:55 am

I have a '98 Jeep TJ 4 cyl. manual and I think that it is just about the perfect vehicle. The little 2.5 is rock solid and has enough low end torque to climb almost anything.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:12 pm

My buddy had a 4WD/4cyl Wrangler with a 3" lift and BFG's. Very quiet at an idle and a great S. Texas hunting vehicle for getting through the brush country, but the 5hr drive from Austin was less than comfortable. He only got about 12-14mpg on the highway at 70 (what it maxes out at). Speed limit was 75. My 02 Tahoe and our other buddies lifted diesel CK2500 both got better mpg's.

For modern vehicles, expect around 15-20 mpg's for the best mix of offroad and daily driver mileage. Especially once you put all terrain tires or a lift on it, external storage or load it down with gear. The larger or more powerful engines start making up ground on efficiency because they don't have to work as hard to pull the load down the road.

My dad has a Kia Sorento and gets decent gas mileage. It's small and still has decent clearance for offroading.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

SimonZayne

Post by SimonZayne » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:26 pm

dynomike wrote:I was wondering if you guys had recommendations for a BOV that was 4 cylinder and 4WD. I was thinking about a 1st Gen Toyota RAV4 or 1st Gen Honda CR-V. I'm thinking about capability vs. fuel economy (and hoping to have my cake and eat it too). Any thoughts?
The CRV and Rav4 are both All wheel drive, not 4wd.

grennels

Post by grennels » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:22 pm

SimonZayne wrote:
The CRV and Rav4 are both All wheel drive, not 4wd.

They are also car based NOT real trucks.

Look for a Geo/Chevy Tracker (or Suzuki Sidekick). Preferably first gen. I've owned 7 Trackers. Truck based, ladder frame, real 4 wheel drive system. Most get around 30mpg. Last one I traded in I had 217K miles on it and it had never required anything but brake pads and oil changes. Still ran fine when I traded it on a newer Tracker. Stay away from the four doors unless you really need such. The 2 doors get better mpg and seem to last longer. Also go for stick shift.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:22 am

I've had a few small trucks, and the 4.0 V-6 in the late nineties early 2000s Ranger (or Mazda, basically the same truck) gets a few miles per gallon better than the 4 cyl. version. Course I am talking about a stick.

Once you get into actual trucks, a 4 cylinder gas engine has to work so much harder to get up to speed that you actually lose mileage.

The 4 Cylinder diesel (Esp. Turbo diesels) are much better as far as power to mileage from what I've read... Unfortunately in the states, the diesel gets ignored far too much.
I want my turbo diesel Hilux, dammit!

Sigh, It wouldn't be so bad if the option was available for the Tacoma...
Unfortunately most of the good diesels are outside the US. Damn you CARB and EPA!

Why is it the best mileage I can get in my 98 ranger is 19mpg (23 when I find gas without ethanol.. hmmm.) while my cousin in Spain has an almost identical Mazda/Ford truck with a turbo Diesel and he's talking 44 to 45 mpg! And it's got a third more torque!

Thats pretty much the same you get in a Prius, without having to look like a prick doing it.

dynomike

Post by dynomike » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks for the info. At this point, I'm leaving toward a V6, seeing as how the gas trade off doesn't negate the power boost. My buddy is a Samurai nut, but the problem is finding parts. But I'll probably go for a mid 90's Toyota 4runner.
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them" - Thomas Paine

"If at first you don't succeed, call an airstrike" - Banksy

Zombie Mill
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by Zombie Mill » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:56 pm

two vehicles come to mind:

- Subaru Brat
- AMC Eagle

If gas milage is the main concern, and you dont need to fit more than 2 people in the car, then I'd go for a Subaru Brat... some models even came with a dual-range transfer-case. A small 4 inch lift and some knobby tires makes a brat look awesome (and they perform well off-road)

If you wanted 4 passengers then I'd say you should look into getting an AMC Eagle (i'm bias though since I own one). You can do a very simple transfer-case swap in order to get a low-range and you will have a vehicle that performs just as good as a stock wrangler (and also shares a lot of Jeep parts as well).

the Brat would get you 35 mpg unmodified and 30 mpg modified
the Eagle would get you 25 mpg unmodified and 20 mpg modified

*again with the eagle it seems to be verry little mpg difference between the 4 cyl models and the 6 cyl models.
http://www.ZombieMill.com
Turning your family portraits into ZOMBIE PORTRAITS!

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:26 pm

If your going to go v6 you might as well go full size v8. All the v6's get around the 20mpg mark, most newer v8's get the same. My 4x4 extended cab got 21 before I switched tires.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

knight_308

Post by knight_308 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:34 pm

Doxtar wrote:My planned BOV is going to be either a Suzuki Samurai or Suzuki Sidekick / Geo Tracker, depending on what I can find, living in Quebec, it gets difficult to find decent rust-free vehicule.

They may be small, but they are quite capable.
Samurai + http://www.keltecsystems.com/hardware/suzuki.html is what I'm personally fantasizing about as my DD / scout type vehicle.
Proud to be a Cake Browncoat: "May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."

knight_308's EDC

Kabong30
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78, 28 Days Later (not strictly zombie?) WWZ when it comes out :)

Post by Kabong30 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:36 pm

I had my Dad's old '86 Toyota 4WD with the 22r engine in it. That thing would go anywhere and go all day long. I really miss that truck :(
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag" - Chris Costa
Sig_Ocelot wrote:Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

Jaybow

Post by Jaybow » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Man oh man..I had a very stout little Datsun 4cyl 4x4 I believe it was a 80 or 81 it said Datsun by Nissan. I had this while stationed at Ft. Rich AK. This little truck was unstoppable in the worst conditions AK had to offer. It was a rust bucket but sure could get around. Great on gas as could climb a tree in 4 low. Cab was quite small and the heater sucked but I miss that thing.

buddy357

Post by buddy357 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:47 pm

I have a 4x4 4cyl diesel liberty. It is a cool little suv and can tow 5K pounds. Not sure whether to keep it or the excursion so far. Both are 4x4 and diesel. but the excursion can carry both more stuff and more people easily.

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Post by driftking777 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:04 pm

eugene wrote:If your going to go v6 you might as well go full size v8. All the v6's get around the 20mpg mark, most newer v8's get the same. My 4x4 extended cab got 21 before I switched tires.

Seems hes going for something in the lower priced region (just mentioned possibly getting a 90's 4runner)

My advice to the OP, either A) Get an early 90's 4runner with a 4cyl. (VERY durable engine, low on power but gets ok mpg) or B) get a later model 4runner (97-98) with the V6, also very reliable engines.

Ive now how two 4runners, both 97's one was a manual, one was auto, i still have the auto (becuase the wife) before mods the auto was getting 18mpg highway, the manual was getting around 20mpg.

Either way awesome, rugged, reliable, and VERY capable at nearly everything. I love mine...(insert shameless plug of rig)

Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:42 pm

What do you plan on doing to the vehicle? What do you need it to do?
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010

Return to “Transportation”