The Dawgvan: 64 Dodge "Bug out Van"

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Re: The Dawgvan: 64 Dodge "Bug out Van"

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Chopped out the original spare tire carrier to make room for the bed platform. I have an OEM unit that mounts on the back door, so it was redundant anyway. Main gain from this is I can store my fuel can on the right aside, where it tucks in better, and frees up the left side to be finished out flush with the bed.

shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:31 pm

My brother offered me the well running engine and tranny (150Kmiles) from an 87 Mercedes 300TD wagon last week. This is the 3 Liter Turbo 6 cyl diesel. I think the price is basically hauling costs for 500 miles, and he has to come down here next month anyway to pick up a 68 International Pickup he bought. Should I jump on it? He said the heavy wagon got about 28MPG, and I am told they are a "Greaser's dream" for WVO. I know nothing about these engines though.

Would this be worth the effort for the Dawgvan?
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Dawgboy wrote:My brother offered me the well running engine and tranny (150Kmiles) from an 87 Mercedes 300TD wagon last week. This is the 3 Liter Turbo 6 cyl diesel. I think the price is basically hauling costs for 500 miles, and he has to come down here next month anyway to pick up a 68 International Pickup he bought. Should I jump on it? He said the heavy wagon got about 28MPG, and I am told they are a "Greaser's dream" for WVO. I know nothing about these engines though.

You might have to rename it the Veggie van if you go with biodiesel...
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:02 pm

Sounds like it'd be different and fun, if you're into that. Just know what you're getting into with an engine swap.

I wish I had before I started the swap in my minitruck. lol
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:25 am

Dawgboy wrote:My brother offered me the well running engine and tranny (150Kmiles) from an 87 Mercedes 300TD wagon last week. This is the 3 Liter Turbo 6 cyl diesel. I think the price is basically hauling costs for 500 miles, and he has to come down here next month anyway to pick up a 68 International Pickup he bought. Should I jump on it? He said the heavy wagon got about 28MPG, and I am told they are a "Greaser's dream" for WVO. I know nothing about these engines though.

might be interesting but my parents had a 90's some mercedes gas motor and it cost an arm and a leg to services and crap
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Mad_Maxx

Post by Mad_Maxx » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:55 am

If its the old 300 turbodiesel, it would be a 5cyl, and bulletproof, also pretty agricultural in design (and sound... xD) so easy to fix! If its the 6 cyl 24 valve, its pretty much an unkillable beast, but can be pretty tiring to work on (something like 24 head bolts, phew!) More advanced to repair also, but overall a better engine :)
Umbrella Corporation - International Biological Solutions
Vampire wrote:Norway is great. Just sit on a deserted mountaintop, and if a zombie happens to stumble upon you trow rocks at him until he rolls all the way down. :)

88sport
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by 88sport » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Well, I personally want that era of MB diesel to turn into a biodiesel burning mobile. I don't know how easily it would work with the van body for the transmission and such to fit and also you would probably have to do some front suspension upgrades to be able to handle the extra weight of the extremely durable diesel. I know with the 4bt swap I want to do in my '88 Dakota, I'm going to have to do some serious upgrades (to the point I'm considering just doing a Dana 44 SAS w/coilovers). Also, if you were looking into doing a WVO conversion, you've got to consider that fact that you have to have 2 tanks to do it. One of them, the smaller of the two, is the diesel tank, and the larger one would need to have a band heater to heat the waste oil to a temperature that would allow the WVO to flow smoothly through the lines and enter/exit the injectors. It's a complicated-ass thing to do, and if you do choose to do it, it would cause me to have an amount of respect and awe for you that would surpass any other diesel swap I've ever seen. period.

On another note, do you think it's a good idea to be storing fuel inside the cabin of the van? Especially near your sleeping area?
landser wrote:I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.
only here...

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:19 am

Even though I am sick as a dawg, it was such a nice day I got the cab heater re installed. Used a K-Four switch panel and a 15 amp fuse on the "always on" aux panel I installed under the dash. Never mind all the open wires you see, it's all getting wire loomed once I am done passing wire through the floor grommet.

Red is the Aux. radiator fan, amber for the heater. Still have 3 more to fill there, one will be Aux driving lights, one for backup lights(not an option in '64), and the last for a 120 watt x 120VAC inverter that's going in the dash.

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:41 pm

Happiness is shorts and flip flops at the beach. No Polar Vortex here! Note the Marine V-22 overhead...

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:03 am

Safety Third!

I was soldering up and shrink wrapping something and the butane torch fell over and caught a nylon tool bag on fire, and it dripped molten nylon all over my tool tray in about 30 seconds...

RIP DMM. Also my favorite crimper, stripper, and dyke all got melted handles, but otherwise ok. 8((

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:06 am

Dawgboy:

Check out Vandwellers on Yahoo!. They do what you are doing here.

Odinsown

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Working on the bed frame/storage platform in the back today. Building out of Clear 2"x2" Douglas Fir and plywood. Top will be hinged so you can get into it from the back and also so that with the couch fully out you can have an angled backboard if you want. Here are some dry fiting pics. I ended up shortening it 4 inches over where I thought things should be to clear the folding action and the rake of the rear doors. Final size of the storage space is like 43"x30"x 16" tall

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:30 pm

The couch is in it's permanent location, but moves forward 14" and folds flat to be the front half of the bed. I am making the rear half of the bed in the back to be removable with a couple of latches or turnbuckles(That I have not figured out yet) so I can pop it out to carry large items like barrels and couches and stuff. The couch is also removable with four 1/2" Grade 8 bolts.

BTW, I have a futon to cover the whole shebang for a good night's sleep. More pics will help a lot. I got out and glued up the frame and added some corner brackets. I'm probably going to skin the sides with some 3mm ply I have. I'm going to try it out without the center uprights in it at first to see if there is sag. I like the idea of keeping the storage space as large as possible. I have to round the edges on the ply deck and make a couple of cutouts, one for the fuel filler on the left side corner, one so you can pull the fuel can on the right out without having to move the ply. Then sand and paint and hinge the lid.

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:48 pm

I'm reading this and going, "Now why did I buy that Jeep again?" :wink:

It's looking good. :ooh:

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:48 pm

Excellent work Dawg, very well thought out.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Just doing a little thinking out loud here. Have to build a mount and install it before paneling and this is how I eyeball it. I'm thinking 3-4" higher and maybe back 2". That will give me more clearance on the bed.

Pardon the mess...

Also re-installed the Mercedes horn with an 1 1/2" "cellulose fiber" damper block. No more sheet metal vibration 8)

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

ProstheticWeasel

Post by ProstheticWeasel » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Is that a diesel heater out of a boat? That could be a bit of overkill for California weather. Those things can put out a tremendous amount of heat. I would make sure you pay very close attention to the chimney as well if it is. Not sure about the vinyl on the drivers seat either but you could put a shield on the side to protect it if its a problem.

Good job though on the buildout. I like it!

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Nope, it's a woodstove from a boat... It's rated at 5500BTU so I think it should work pretty good for winter camping in the desert and mountains. Going to insulate the hell out of the back wall with a sandwich of the mount attached to the van wall frames,bubble insulation behind that, the paneling for the wall, a fiberglass mat, then a sort of "L" shaped piece (upside down) of sheet steel or copper. Then I will have the stove stand out a couple inches from all that, and I will have some big wing nuts to hold it in place. For the roof I am going to get a piece of threaded pipe, say 4" or 6"in diameter, and 2 pipe caps. I will profile the pipe to fit the contour of the roof and weld it in. then, when the stove is out, I put the solid cap on, and when the stove is there, I will have a cap with a hole to fit the 3" double wall stove pipe, and extend the pipe a good 2 feet past the roof line when needed. I actually have 9' of Stove pipe for it and a good rain resistant spark arrestor.

For the front seat, it flips forward, but I could throw a welding blanket on it, and one to go under the stove as well. Under the stove will be the 134AH battery bank and the power distribution panel, the solar charge controller, and the 1200 watt inverter I am permanently wiring in, all in a cabinet.
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:59 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Nope, it's a woodstove from a boat...
Is that a Dickinson?

ProstheticWeasel

Post by ProstheticWeasel » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:44 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Nope, it's a woodstove from a boat... It's rated at 5500BTU so I think it should work pretty good for winter camping in the desert and mountains. Going to insulate the hell out of the back wall with a sandwich of the mount attached to the van wall frames,bubble insulation behind that, the paneling for the wall, a fiberglass mat, then a sort of "L" shaped piece (upside down) of sheet steel or copper. Then I will have the stove stand out a couple inches from all that, and I will have some big wing nuts to hold it in place. For the roof I am going to get a piece of threaded pipe, say 4" or 6"in diameter, and 2 pipe caps. I will profile the pipe to fit the contour of the roof and weld it in. then, when the stove is out, I put the solid cap on, and when the stove is there, I will have a cap with a hole to fit the 3" double wall stove pipe, and extend the pipe a good 2 feet past the roof line when needed. I actually have 9' of Stove pipe for it and a good rain resistant spark arrestor.
Good thinking on the chimney. I was wondering how you were going to get it through the roof and not have it blow off when going down the road.

I knew someone who had one of these: http://www.marinestove.com/codinfo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I thought it was pretty cool since you could cook on it as well as heat with it. I guess it is kind of impractical for your application but it is pretty neat just not 1500 dollars and 5 square feet of space neat.

Foz4Dogs

Post by Foz4Dogs » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:54 am

Awesome van. Lots of things you can do with that

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:54 pm

Here's the new seat belts. Good match on color for the new seats which are still not installed in the front.. the buckle is not centered on the lap, which is good. These were under $20 each on eViLbay.

A little goofing around on the beach. Wet sand is not much of a barier and I also did a little sandy mudbogging without issues.

This was our "winter".
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Today I finished the front doors, I bondoed the leftover holes from the old mirrors and the door emblems(I only have the passenger side anyway) and wet sanded with 220 and 320, and then primered. Looks pretty good, mainly due to good masking.

Passenger side

Driver side

Masking

First coat

"Spray booth"

Final Driver side

Final Passenger side
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Today I cut out and test fitted my first piece of roof insulation. it's just being held in by the edge rails right now, so it sags a tiny bit. I will glue it once I have all the panels cut.

It's 1/2" thick "Double Bubble". Good stuff, going to panel over it with 1/8" door skins covered in fabric.

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Return to “Transportation”