When cars are useless?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

skydawg2012
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, Zombieland, Land of the dead, Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later, OMG ZOMBIELAND!!! LOLZ

When cars are useless?

Post by skydawg2012 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:41 pm

Okay so I was just wondering what solutions there could be found in the days after TEOTWAWKI when cars become useless?

First off the problems:
Batteries go dead and with manufacturing gone once yours goes dead most all other will be dead as well even in perfect condition
Gas loses it's octane over time and with no oil refineries fresh gas will not be a commodity after four moths or so
Tires dry-rot and go flat etc. After a couple years you won't find any tires without dry rot (one solution is to keep them off the ground)

Now obviously a straight shift diesal solves some problems but inevitably it will stop working. Yes, veggie oil can be used but to make veggie oil after a long term catastrophe you would need an oil press not to mention the fact that a pound of seeds only produces 3 oz. of oil (sunflowers).

Also rather than a battery you could park it on a hill and crank it that way but eventually in one situation or another you may stall out or have to park on a flat area and then what will you do when your truck won't fire?

So what are your solutions to when gas and batteries are dead? Is there a long term solution? or after a year or two are we doomed to roam the earth by foot or animal power?

Edit: I started thinking about this while reading "Earth Abides" when their batteries go dead and they have no way to start their car. Just thought I'd mention that it's a great post-apocalypse pandemic read.
ironraven wrote:Which CFP-90? The little patrol pack, or the holy-shit-he-has-a-midget-with-a-minigun sized one? :lol:

dynomike

Re: When cars are useless?

Post by dynomike » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:27 am

I think you should always have a plan B, whether it goes the way of TEOTWAWKI or not. Perhaps owning a horse or a bicycle isn't a bad idea (or both). Horses are tried and true pack animals and their fuel is usually on the ground for them to graze. A bicycle and bicycle trailer will get most hauling done.

Downside to horses is they get sick and die, so you'll have to breed them from time to time. Winter time (if you live in a snowy state) may be difficult if you haven't grown hay or grain to keep them on. Bicycles break down and parts may be scarce, so you'll have to keep a few wrecked carcasses for parts or learn to make a few of your own. Both would be a sought after commodity in the PAW, so you'll have to guard them well.

The other side to remember is that people will be rebuilding, it will just take time. Since society may be kicked to as far back as the late 1800's, think of the technology that was discovered then. Steam engines were the product of 19th century technology. Diesels were of the late 19th/early 20th century. Since the learning curve will not be as steep (well, depending on how bad things get), you may not be waiting that long for the refinement of fuel and the like.
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them" - Thomas Paine

"If at first you don't succeed, call an airstrike" - Banksy

cjm3fl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), of course the Original Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by cjm3fl » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:45 am

Shoes.
The most important transportation "vehicle" in a PAW will be a good pair of shoes.
Durable shoes that can handle long-distance walking, are comfortable, will keep your feet dry.

If our BOV's stop running, horses have run-off or died, parts for bikes can't be found...walking is about all that's left.
Favorite bumper stickers...."Yeah, But I'm in Front of YOU !!! "
and "Welcome To Florida...Now Go The Hell Home"

Runs with Scissors

Don't Lead Me Into Temptation....I Know The Way

thegrinninfin

Post by thegrinninfin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Walking, biking, and pack animals. I'd avoid horses, and go with goats. Horses eat a lot and can be picky/sensitive eaters (ask someone who's had a horse colic on them :shock: ). Goats, while I have less experience with them, seem to be more like dogs that you don't feel as bad about if you have to eat them :wink:

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:17 pm

my feet and mules

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:04 pm

Batteries and gasoline existed back in the civil war period. It won't take that long to get things running again, as long as people today refresh the science required in their own heads.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:52 pm

I don't believe a PAW will ever fucking happen.

I plan for hurricanes, tsunamis, tornadoes, floods, civil unrest, etc. I do not believe that trade will ever diminish, and I do not believe that there will be one disaster that will encompass the entire industrialized globe. My preps do not include this notion.

Return to “Transportation”