SUV BOVs and keeping your stuff safe

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

SUV BOVs and keeping your stuff safe

Post by Wildeman_13 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:30 pm

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee as my daily driver. Currently I am driving up to 54 miles each way to work in San Fran. As we all know, this isn't the most geologically stable chunk of land out there. So of course I want to carry a V-GHB to get me home should the Jeep not have a valid path... as in all the roads out are destroyed or clogged with vehicles. Granted I always have the option of going off-road down the penninsula.
The gist of my question is this... How do those of you with open cargo area vehicles keep your stuff out of sight and safe? This applies to Hatchbacks and well as SUVs. Short of making or buying an in bed tool box and covering it with carpet, how do I keep people passing by my Jeep from seeing bags and "gear" that might be in the back?

I have seen some of the custom drawer setups in the thread about keeping your AR safe, but there has to be something cheaper than $1500 for a secure cargo area storage system.
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Re: SUV BOVs and keeping your stuff safe

Post by Regulator » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:55 pm

Military surplus rocket boxes. Locked and bolted to the bed behind the rear seat. Or, if you really have high crime, cut a 30 gallon barrel in half length wise, add hinges, handle and a fake smokestack. Who's gonna steal a crappy old bbq grill? And tint your windows as dark as allowed.

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:59 pm

Windows are pretty dark right now.. at least in the back, but anything not black/dark blue can be seen. I want to avoid any major tearing up of the back end as I do use it a lot for camping. Which adds the additional feature of lockable, bolted down, but removable.

The BBQ idea is a good one tho.
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:45 am

Some SUVs have tonneau like covers for the back part. Just keep your truck looking like a mess with a bunch of old newspapers and garbage and no one will think there is anything valuable under the trash. :lol:
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:20 am

dukman wrote:Some SUVs have tonneau like covers for the back part. Just keep your truck looking like a mess with a bunch of old newspapers and garbage and no one will think there is anything valuable under the trash. :lol:
Heh, good idea with the trash. I used to keep my old S-10 Blazer pretty messy until the girlfriend went crazy on it. My Jeep has the mounts for the tonneau cover but I got it used and it didn't come with it. I'd be worried that this adds a "Hmm, wonder what's under there" factor.

I was looking into those hitch/spare tire racks. This would free up space where the spare sits now. Plenty of room for gear and totally out of sight.
Image Image

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:27 am

My Explorer has one of those Tonneu covers.

I've also been thinking about building a drawer with the same dimensions as the bottom of the cargo area, and covering it with the same grey carpet.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

dasneal

Post by dasneal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:37 am

I have struggled with the same problem but in my case for a four door truck. These have absolutely no room and I have yet to find a backpack that fits under the fold up rear seat. I swear I would trade six cup holders for a real storage space!

Anyone have a 'job box' style truck bed solution that doesn't scream....expensive tools here, steal me!!!
If the wolf is the natural predator to animals then surely desperate men are the wolves of other men. The rule of law, the goal of civilization, is to discipline the bestial nature within us.

Those who prepare for emergencies are building the rule of law. Do not confuse us with those who seek the wolf or who view mankind as their prey.

cjm3fl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), of course the Original Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by cjm3fl » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:11 pm

I have an older Rodeo.
In the back cargo space, I've used a cheap package of those bungee strap to secure a couple of soft-sided bags.
One is a large soft-sides lunch bag, one is for carry beer. Also have a kid's sized back/book bag.
If you open/look in these, you will see motor oil, wind shield washer fluid, jumper cables...you know, all that stuff someone without a garage has to carry to keep up vehicle maintainence.

I don't do it presently, but with re-arranging the stuff in these bags, I can keep a few pistols and magazines in the bottoms. Along with some emergency rations.

Sometimes the best place to hide something...is right out in the open :D
Favorite bumper stickers...."Yeah, But I'm in Front of YOU !!! "
and "Welcome To Florida...Now Go The Hell Home"

Runs with Scissors

Don't Lead Me Into Temptation....I Know The Way

dasneal

Post by dasneal » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:13 pm

cjm3fl wrote:Sometimes the best place to hide something...is right out in the open :D
I agree this is a great grey-man strategy but in an emergency hands would be a little sticker in my opinion. A nice metal lock between my vehicles EXPENSIVE gear and a stranger gives me comfort.
If the wolf is the natural predator to animals then surely desperate men are the wolves of other men. The rule of law, the goal of civilization, is to discipline the bestial nature within us.

Those who prepare for emergencies are building the rule of law. Do not confuse us with those who seek the wolf or who view mankind as their prey.

cjm3fl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), of course the Original Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by cjm3fl » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:45 pm

dasneal wrote: ...but in an emergency hands would be a little sticker in my opinion.
Totally agree with you.
Those thing that will be in my truck would only be there long enough to get me home.
Once home, everything comes out of the truck.

**I don't have my CCP yet, so I don't have any firearms in my truck unless I'm heading to the range.
Want to be a law-abiding citizen at all times.
Favorite bumper stickers...."Yeah, But I'm in Front of YOU !!! "
and "Welcome To Florida...Now Go The Hell Home"

Runs with Scissors

Don't Lead Me Into Temptation....I Know The Way

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:51 pm

My Trailblazer's windows have a nice tint to 'em, and I keep a piece of an old blanket handy for covering valuables in back.
It's a neutral tan, and you'd have to look really hard to notice anything in there from outside.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

dasneal

Post by dasneal » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:43 am

cjm3fl wrote:Those thing that will be in my truck would only be there long enough to get me home.
Once home, everything comes out of the truck.
Nod, this is what I plan also. My concern is both my stuff when I have to park in marginal situations and in the event of a disaster having to stop while bugging out. Like you I minimize my preps during the normal periods but have kept more when there have been terrorist alerts and incidents that I consider of higher risk internationally.

Even during normal times my shoulder BOB is worth a couple hundred dollars in equipment. It is pretty well hidden but not from someone who is already into the vehicle. I guess what I am looking for is secondary theft prevention and to a lesser extent cargo securing so that items don't shift during transit.

As an example, when I camp or practice bugging out I bring four spectre 5-gallon water and four Wedco metal gas cans. Currently I strap them in the bed against the cab. I add all the other equipment behind that with additional straps then a net over that. I wish I had a photo now. This is nicer than mine but similar.

When traveling on the road this is never a problem but shifting when off road has occurred and could be a real mess not to mention a potential disaster. Fixed restraints or a custom built fuel/water container cage would be great. Something like this but with multiple containers.
Maybe something to cover this up would be even better. During a real emergency gasoline is going to be scarce and people are going to notice these in the back of the truck.

See where I am going with this? I'm trying to avoid something like this though not guns obviously.
Last edited by dasneal on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:54 am

If you haven't discovered them yet, you have some hidden storage in your GC. However, you didn't say what year yours was. In my 94 (any many later models) the rear passenger seat fold down to reveal a little bit of storage area. I keep a large FAK, water, and various other small things there.

Also, if you're handy, why not build a box in the cargo area to mimic the floor? You could afford 8-10" (or more) of sealed, lockable storage area, without making it obvious while looking through windows. Basically, build a large square box (1/2"-3/4" wood) with 8-10" high sides. Throw on some good hinges with carriage bolts, decent lock, and some hydraulic lifters if you want. Hell, I'd go so far as adding an LED touch light to the interior. Carpet the whole thing in matching speaker box carpet (depending on your carpet color). Remove those rubber strips from the current floorboard, and add them to the top of your box lid. You know have a new subfloor with lockable storage.

HTH. :mrgreen:
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:02 am

grand94jeep wrote:If you haven't discovered them yet, you have some hidden storage in your GC. However, you didn't say what year yours was. In my 94 (any many later models) the rear passenger seat fold down to reveal a little bit of storage area. I keep a large FAK, water, and various other small things there.

Also, if you're handy, why not build a box in the cargo area to mimic the floor? You could afford 8-10" (or more) of sealed, lockable storage area, without making it obvious while looking through windows. Basically, build a large square box (1/2"-3/4" wood) with 8-10" high sides. Throw on some good hinges with carriage bolts, decent lock, and some hydraulic lifters if you want. Hell, I'd go so far as adding an LED touch light to the interior. Carpet the whole thing in matching speaker box carpet (depending on your carpet color). Remove those rubber strips from the current floorboard, and add them to the top of your box lid. You know have a new subfloor with lockable storage.

HTH. :mrgreen:
My GC is a 2001. I was looking at the build-a-box option yesterday. I'm pretty handy with the tools, but could not find a decent way to secure the box to the floorboards. I was thinking about cutting holes in the build-a-box and using the storage floor hooks to run a cable or something between inside the box.

My thought is that I want it to not stand out and scream "I have expensive stuff in here" as well as if someone does break in, they can't just take the storage box and walk away.

Oh and the under the seat area is where I keep much of the same stuff you mentioned. I also like to lock my mini gun safe to the frame and store it under there.
Image Image

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:13 am

Wildeman_13 wrote: My GC is a 2001. I was looking at the build-a-box option yesterday. I'm pretty handy with the tools, but could not find a decent way to secure the box to the floorboards. I was thinking about cutting holes in the build-a-box and using the storage floor hooks to run a cable or something between inside the box.

My thought is that I want it to not stand out and scream "I have expensive stuff in here" as well as if someone does break in, they can't just take the storage box and walk away.

Oh and the under the seat area is where I keep much of the same stuff you mentioned. I also like to lock my mini gun safe to the frame and store it under there.
Sounds like you're on the right track with your thinking. :mrgreen:
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:57 pm

do what im doing. some 2x4's lining my floor and build a shelf with a pull out drawer for some essentials

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:54 am

cjm3fl wrote:I have an older Rodeo.
In the back cargo space, I've used a cheap package of those bungee strap to secure a couple of soft-sided bags.
One is a large soft-sides lunch bag, one is for carry beer. Also have a kid's sized back/book bag.
If you open/look in these, you will see motor oil, wind shield washer fluid, jumper cables...you know, all that stuff someone without a garage has to carry to keep up vehicle maintainence.

I don't do it presently, but with re-arranging the stuff in these bags, I can keep a few pistols and magazines in the bottoms. Along with some emergency rations.

Sometimes the best place to hide something...is right out in the open :D
A buddies truck was one of many vandalized in a spree last year. The person broke into 5 cars that were all parked next to each other, rushing in and just grabbing whatever and tossing it into the bed of the get away truck. He didn't care what he took. My buddy lost his el cheapo radio, a box o' automotive fluids and his rusty old toolbox full of rusty off-brand crappy tools. Seriously... the stuff that was taken wasn't even worth pawning! A visible bag would just scream STEAL ME! :roll:
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

dasneal

Post by dasneal » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:06 am

Oh I am in love. Check this pickup truck solution out for storing your gear.

Ford f-150 Midbox

http://www.midbox.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or call 877-374-5559

Locking 26.3 cubic feet of storage space using your standard door/ignition key.

Unfortunately this looks like something you can't just buy and add though. For those looking for a great truck that fits your particular needs, this might just be what you need.

TsgtAMMO
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Return of the Living Dead, 1985

Post by TsgtAMMO » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:23 pm

I have a 2008 Ram quad cab and had the same thoughts as to carrying things in plain view in the back seat. I solved this problem by getting a large laundry basket, putting my BOB (actually a Bug-Home-Bag, as I work in the city and live 35 miles outside and I'd probably be trying to get HOME !) in the basket. Then I put a spare pair of jeans, a sweatshirt and a pair of boots on top of that. Then I got some old whitey-tighteys that had several holes in them, and threw them on top of the pile.

I then took and empty laundry powder box, and put all the ammo I carry with me in that. I mess everything up a little and it looks to the untrained eye that I'm planning on stopping at the laundromat on the way home. And I think a couple of pairs of ratty drawers (Clean ya know) on top of a basket of laundry is an excellent way to disguise your stash. This would work in the back of an SUV as well. I keep a long gun under the rear seat and ran a cable lock thru the action and around one of the seat mounts to secure it. In a snatch and grab I might lose the BOB and some ammo but I doubt it.

I'm thinking about a tool box, I did have one on my 2003 Ram. (sold it to a buddy and he needed it so I let him have it) But it became a catch all and got so cluttered, and I lost a lot of room in the truck bed.

Anyways just a suggestion !!

TsgtAMMO.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their Country. IYAAYAS !! (For you non-USAF AMMO TROOPS, that means, "IF YOU AIN'T AMMO, YOU AIN'T SH*T !!")

PileDriver73
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, I Am Legend, Resident Evil

Post by PileDriver73 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:29 pm

I have a '91 (old style) Chevy Suburban, all of the rear windows are tinted (to 5% I think). I keep my IFAK and GHB in the far back area (I took the third row out). If I have long guns in the truck (there's usually my cheap Pardner Pump in there on a typical day), they go in the far back under a blanket/jackets. My handgun goes cased under the 2nd row seats (until I have my carry permit- few weeks here), along with an ammo box/binoculars/whatever else I want out of sight that's small. The truck looks crappy enough that it's left alone I, and as someone who has locked the keys in his truck more than once, I know it's a pain in the ass to break into. :lol:

If they're willing enough to break my windows for something they can't even see is there, I figure anything in my truck is long gone anyways. I really should figure something better out.

greggk wrote:do what im doing. some 2x4's lining my floor and build a shelf with a pull out drawer for some essentials
I had a '94 F-150 with a set-up like that once, I'm fairly sure it was an actual product though. Probably cost the poor previous owner a couple hundred I bet. This concept would work amazing for the Suburban, especially with the barn doors. Thank you for reminding me of this!

Project time. :D
The key to survival is not dying.
ZS ID #1941
Fleet #0173 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis

Pyroguy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness (and engineering fav)

Post by Pyroguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:01 pm

In my Trailblazer I've installed a good size Storm Case with padlocked latches. I've looped a 1/2" cable through the handles, around the back, and then padlocked the loops of the cables to the tiedowns on the floor. The windows are tinted 20% dark from the factory (no limit in my state on rear and passenger windows) but I need to put on another layer of 10% or so to hide the rear cargo area. The box isn't going anywhere unless the would-be thieves brought along bolt cutters, cut-off wheel, hacksaw, or acetylene torch.

PileDriver73
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, I Am Legend, Resident Evil

Post by PileDriver73 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:44 pm

Another thing I discovered recently, that I'm heavily considering for the Suburban.

Stanley Fatmax portable truck box.

It's pretty dang spendy for something a guy could probably rig up himself, but it's a pretty good idea. I don't much care about the alarm, but it's novel. I really like the docking concept.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp ... +Truck+Box" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... %20036800R" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The key to survival is not dying.
ZS ID #1941
Fleet #0173 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis

broylz

Post by broylz » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:44 pm

Wildeman_13 wrote:My GC is a 2001. I was looking at the build-a-box option yesterday. I'm pretty handy with the tools, but could not find a decent way to secure the box to the floorboards. I was thinking about cutting holes in the build-a-box and using the storage floor hooks to run a cable or something between inside the box.
why not use the bolts that secure those hooks to the floor to secure the box to the floor? just get a longer bolt and large washer then bolt the box in place. try to find a bit of automotive carpet thats the same color to cover it in. thats essentially what the more expensive premade boxed do anyway.

yaco987

Post by yaco987 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:05 pm

For anybody with a truck, i have one of these.
http://truxedo.com/plus/land.php
I have a newer Dodge Ram regular cab so im hurting for space, but this gives me lockable storage and a tonneau cover all in one, kind of spendy tho...
IRL you can hardly even tell its not just a cover.

Return to “Transportation”