Thinking about a deuce and a half

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Thinking about a deuce and a half

Post by Jamie » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:28 am

Fort Drum in Watertown, NY has a bunch of deuce and a halves for sale, and I've been thinking about getting one. I was there to pick up some other surplus a while ago, and talked to the contractor working for the company in charge of the sales, and he said that while some of them were only parts in assembled form, others were in good shape and would start and run perfectly, and had been driven around the base since arriving.

I'm wondering if/where parts are available, and how long the engines/tires tend to last without overhaul or replacement...I would be using this vehicle primarily for hauling wood, ZSNY camping, BOV, to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women...

Thanks,

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

herbalpagan

Re: Thinking about a deuce and a half

Post by herbalpagan » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:17 am

do a search on them NFA. It used to fairly easy to get parts for them. If I can ask, how much are the put together ones going for?
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:22 am

herbalpagan wrote:do a search on them NFA. It used to fairly easy to get parts for them. If I can ask, how much are the put together ones going for?
Bidding starts at $150...I imagine they go for a couple of thousand...

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Subdiver

Post by Subdiver » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:01 am

The fountain of wisdom has everything about this.
1911, 1894, 1903, 1300. Single Malt, Green wire.

Illegitimi non Carborundum

"I decided that I couldn't afford to like everybody anymore. I went on a low social-cholesterol diet. No more fat-heads."

- Utah Phillips

My ass is on a boat, but my heart's in my forest.

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:51 am

Parts aren't to hard to get at all. Even the tires are easy to get. I say go for it.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

tireiron

Post by tireiron » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:24 am

I've talked to several folks recently who play with old deuce-and-a-halfs.

A good running truck fetches between 5 and 6 thousand in my neck of the woods, but those are in private sales.

Don't even bother asking about the fuel economy. Your top speed on the highway will be about 55mph.

They're nearly impossible to kill, and, as I recall, are virtually all equipped with a PTO. There's no better farm/work truck in my opinion.

devitor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later

possibly World War Z when it finally comes out

Post by devitor » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:19 am

im up in drum for the next month for my pre-mob training, where exactly on post are these trucks located?

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:24 am

devitor wrote:im up in drum for the next month for my pre-mob training, where exactly on post are these trucks located?
I don't remember the address, I used my gps to get me there, but it's a huge fenced-in lot filled with crap the US doesn't want/need anymore...we got 10 of those medical chests as a group buy at a good price...

Here's the auction site page for NY: http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/e ... erPage=100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jamie

Lenny
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the them, even the super cheesy unrealistic ones.

Post by Lenny » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:29 am

If Ft. Drum has a DRMO that'll be where you went to. From the sounds of what you described it is a DRMO lot.
Oderint Dum Metuant

"A knot ....is either exactly right or it is hopelessly wrong. Make only one change...and either an entirely different knot is made or no knot at all may exist." Clifford W. Ashley

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:36 am

DRMO?

<very likely a dumb question>Is it possible to circumvent the auction process and just go in with cash in hand and buy the thing from the guy in charge of the lot?</very likely a dumb question>

Jamie

Lenny
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the them, even the super cheesy unrealistic ones.

Post by Lenny » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:52 am

Sorry NFA, I forget about the use of acyronms.
Here is everything you need to know about DRMO.
http://www.drms.dla.mil/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ETA: I guess it is DRMS now.
Oderint Dum Metuant

"A knot ....is either exactly right or it is hopelessly wrong. Make only one change...and either an entirely different knot is made or no knot at all may exist." Clifford W. Ashley

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:17 am

I thought that I heard that some Duece's were dual fuel? Is that true?

devitor

Post by devitor » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:32 pm

lailr wrote:I thought that I heard that some Duece's were dual fuel? Is that true?

the first duece i had assigned to me in the med section had a sticker on the dash that listed, if i remember correctly, at least 8 different fuels that it could run on...

OneManShow
Favorite Zombie Movies: All. hahahaha

Post by OneManShow » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:10 pm

devitor wrote:
lailr wrote:I thought that I heard that some Duece's were dual fuel? Is that true?

the first duece i had assigned to me in the med section had a sticker on the dash that listed, if i remember correctly, at least 8 different fuels that it could run on...
Jp-4, Jp-5, Jp-7, Jp-8(all jet fuel), Gas, Diesel(Regular and Bio), Kerosene, Avgas, and just about any thing eles that will catch a flame. All military turbo diesels are about the same. When I was in I drove a P-19, its a fire truck but same engine. We put about everything in that thing while in the Suk. Oh and if you want something really cool get a Bobbed Deuce.
Is that you John Wayne, Is this me.

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Jamie, did you see my Deuce when I brought it to the ZCon last year? That'd have been a good time to check it out... if you'd have known :P
If you want my phone #, we can chat about them. I can pretty much tell you everything to look for and what kind of prices you should pay. To give you an estimate;
$1500 good running truck
$1000 if is has a winch
$500 for a heater
$500-$1000 troop bed w/ bows and stakes and complete bed cover and end flaps
$500 for a good hardtop
$500 for a turbo truck
That's assuming you're buying a surplus truck. It won't have a title, you'll have to get a SF-97 from GovLiq then you can go through getting a title. A titled truck from a private party is worth about $1500-$2000 more. I'm just using rough figures I've seen on the market so you can have an idea what the "averages" are. Another thing you want is the air shifted front axle. DO NOT get a truck if is has a sprag setup. You can tell if it has the air shift by looking at the dash. In the middle, on the bottom lip, there will be a small horizontal lever with a light above it.
Sometimes trucks slip through the GovLiq auctions. There's been trucks purchased by guys on SteelSoldiers for less than $1000 and $2000 that started up and were drove home. I bought my truck just north of Atlanta for $3k. It has a winch and did have a rough bed cover and bows and stakes. I put fuel in the truck, air in the tires and drove it from Atlanta to Louisville. The only problem I had was it threw the water pump belts.
As far as multi-fuel, every Deuce and a half with a LD-465 (non-turbo) or LDT-465 (turbo) can run on just about anything combustible. They have a thing called a FDC (fuel density compensator) that adjusts fuel pressure so you have the same power (in theory) no matter what fuel you run. What does change is your fuel economy though, it takes more of a less potent fuel to maintain the same power. When I drove out to ZCon last year, I was running 70%-80% filtered engine oil. I got about 8.5mpg, estimated.
On top speeds for the truck, 55mph is the mechanical limit for the truck. After that, you'll be turning too many rpm's for the engine for extended periods. Don't let anyone tell you these things are limited by power. My truck is non-turbo and I was still able to run 55mph through all but 2 of the hills in Tennessee. It does start off like a turd, but it'll maintain speed just fine. Now, if the truck has bigger tires (stockers are 900's), then your top speed will increase. It's overall limited by engine rpm.
As far as maintenance, they're just like a HUGE pickup. They're comparable to a 1-ton dually truck w/ a diesel engine. The only difference is that you have air on board. I'm in the middle of rebuilding the clutch system on my truck. Other than the parts being 3x as heavy and needing an engine hoist to put the flywheel in place, it's terribly easy to work on. Everything is over-sized (obviously) and made to be accessible.

I know I'm leaving a few things out. If you have any more questions, let me know.
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:59 pm

nfa wrote:DRMO?

<very likely a dumb question>Is it possible to circumvent the auction process and just go in with cash in hand and buy the thing from the guy in charge of the lot?</very likely a dumb question>

Jamie
This is a short answer... no. EVERYTHING GovLiq sells is by auction; no ifs, ands or buts.

HHaase
Favorite Zombie Movies: Errrr, I actually don't like zombie movies.
::::runs away::::

Post by HHaase » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:01 am

devitor wrote:im up in drum for the next month for my pre-mob training, where exactly on post are these trucks located?
69th on the way over again?

-Hans
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."
- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

Gunwriter
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything with Ash in it....

Post by Gunwriter » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:49 am

I bought a Deuce from GL and it kicks butt.
12,000 miles, rebuilt and in excellent shape for $1,800
I drove it from Missouri to Kansas with no problems.
Mine tops out at about 62 mph.

If I keep it at 50 mph and off the highway I average about 10 mpg.

I pretty much use mine as a daily driver.

cabbagerun

Post by cabbagerun » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:10 am

When I drove out to ZCon last year, I was running 70%-80% filtered engine oil.

Blasphemous
Forgive me for my ignorance, I know nothing about these vehicles but what does that statement mean?

These run off any fuel source?

Does that include Alcohol, vegetable oil, diesel, bio-diesel, ect?

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:52 am

Pretty much any fuel source that's combustible at all, you can run it in the Deuce. Some are more harsh than others and may do damage to the fuel system though. Alcohol and I think JP-8 aren't so good for it. I run old engine oil and automatic transmission fluid in my truck. I filter it out and put it in fuel jugs. I have probably 55 gallons right now, I've been slacking on picking the stuff up since the Deuce has been down for repairs.

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:54 am

Gunwriter wrote:
If I keep it at 50 mph and off the highway I average about 10 mpg.

I pretty much use mine as a daily driver.
:shock: :lol:
Oderint Dum Metuant

devitor

Post by devitor » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:04 pm

HHaase wrote:
69th on the way over again?

-Hans

nah, a detachment from my unit is heading over to Afghanistan for a 2nd tour. im the 204th Engineering Battalion HSC, the unit going is under our command and i volunteered to with them since they only had one medic.

i found the auction lot, btw. its about 1/4 mile from my barracks. most of the vehicles there look pretty tore up though...

ninja steve

Post by ninja steve » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:24 pm

nfa, have you bought one yet? And where is all you guy's pics of these glourious machines?!?

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:46 am

http://s680.photobucket.com/albums/vv16 ... 5%20Deuce/
My ole beast, it's been sitting a while while I've been repairing everything inside the bell housing. I didn't take enough pictures.

Return to “Transportation”