Rolling Weapons, Vehicle Armament, (Now w/pics)

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Real_Ale_Act
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like the PAW ones better!

Re: Rolling Weapons, Vehicle Armament, (Now w/pics)

Post by Real_Ale_Act » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:47 am

I always thought tugboat bumper would be exceptional for a push/ram bumper. Instead of the whole tire thing they used to do in the old days, now they cut tires into pieces that will lay flattish, drill through, and use cable to secure a stack of them however long is needed.

It's damn heavy though, so you could do this to a K5 or a reasonable truck, but not (poor me!) a passenger car.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
Suizen wrote: (damned to hell reason and logic... who needs it?! PANIC SQUAD!!! UNITE!)
Chapter XV: ZS, California-Style

Canuckdoomer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Weeks Later

Post by Canuckdoomer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:51 pm

I am currently working on a serious BOV based on an early 80s RV. It is currently in a fabrication shop getting custom push bumper/cage/light bar built for the front and a reinforced extended rear bumper and motorcycle carrier for my KLR 650. Powered with a early 80s 454 GMC truck engine. Has no engine electronics except for the starter solenoid of which I keep spares in a faraday cage in case of EMP. Fuel pump is manual. I will be painting it flat black. New LED marker lights and red LED interior emergency lighting. Limo tint black security laminate for the windows (not bullet proof but damn tough to try and break). I considered screen/mesh on the windows but I the safety inspection people would have a serious problem with it and I need to keep this road legal. It has 2 fuel tanks, the primary holds about 230 liters and the secondary about 110. The 7500 watt generator runs off the primary tank. It also has a 100 lb propane tank, for the water heater, propane stove and furnace. 3 way fridge. I have a 12 volt fuel pump and 50 feet of hose carried in the underbelly storage, as well as a 12v water pump and hose if I need to fill the water tanks from a lake or stream. There are 4 deep cycle batteries that charge via the genny or alternator, and have 2 120 watt solar panels as backup for it. Rear view camera. Two mounted spares and a 3 ton jack stowed on the roof. 40 channel CB and 300 watt linear amp for comms. I will post pictures when it is done... some before and after stuff. I'm planning to have it ready for June 1.

As an alternative to homemade oil based smoke generators, I am going with a smoke generator system built from the same type of smoke machine used for light shows. Puts a hell of a volume of smoke out with no residue or risk of fire. Since the RV has an on board generator it will run off 110v. It needs about 1500 watts to operate for this one, so most inverters are under powered to run it. You can get smaller models that have 800-1200 watt heaters. Bear in mind that they need a warm up period, so if you are in bug out mode you may want to keep the heater on at all times. You can get some of them quite cheaply $150-$300.00. The one I have is heavy duty serious use and costs about $700.00.. but again I do have the power to run it easily. The fluid is very common, a water based haze/smoke fluid.

Another idea for those of you wanting to dump crap out the back would be a big box of roofing nails...(so cheap)... and another one of marbles for those foot, or equine pursuits. Might even mess up cars trying to follow.

IF anyone has any other ideas for by BOV, chime in. I'm sure I am missing something.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

meatshieldChris
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Evil Dead trilogy

Post by meatshieldChris » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:57 am

Canuckdoomer wrote:I am currently working on a serious BOV based on an early 80s RV. It is currently in a fabrication shop getting custom push bumper/cage/light bar built for the front and a reinforced extended rear bumper and motorcycle carrier for my KLR 650. Powered with a early 80s 454 GMC truck engine. Has no engine electronics except for the starter solenoid of which I keep spares in a faraday cage in case of EMP.
What about the rest of the wiring that the motor depends on? Low tension wires to the coil, low tension distributor innards? Alternator diodes? Voltage regulators? Distributor pickup coil? The low tension side of the ignition coil itself? Any thin copper wire, especially long thin copper wire, could be in jeapordy as well. Count the alternator and starter itself as at risk too. That's why your solenoid could have problems...there's nothing electronic in it, it's just long thin copper wire making an electromagnet.

Canuckdoomer
28 Weeks Later

Post by Canuckdoomer » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:14 pm

Don't shatter my dream :(

I actually do realize that the chances of it being completely EMP proof is slim to none. Not having any on board computers is a big advantage over most other vehicles, though.

There is a lot of misinformation regarding EMP and much of it depends on a great many variables at the time of detonation. Yield, altitude, atmosphere conditions, location, type of weapon etc... the list goes on. Since I well outside the continental US (Canada), presuming the US is the target, my distance may be a factor in limiting my exposure to the effects of EMP.

I can't plan for everything, but I am trying to accomplish what I can within my limited means. Building a faraday cage to protect all my gear is not economically viable. I do have a warehouse space for my business which seems to be quite a decent faraday cage in itself because cell phones and radios will not work inside of it when the doors are closed. Too bad I can't fit the RV inside :(

MosinMe

Post by MosinMe » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:45 pm

Interesting stuff!
Last edited by MosinMe on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeriah wrote: Chinese jungle boots will rip, rot, shred, and fall apart like your cock after a month in a Thai brothel.
The 4x4 Thread.

meatshieldChris
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Evil Dead trilogy

Post by meatshieldChris » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:37 pm

Canuckdoomer wrote:Don't shatter my dream :(

I actually do realize that the chances of it being completely EMP proof is slim to none. Not having any on board computers is a big advantage over most other vehicles, though.

There is a lot of misinformation regarding EMP and much of it depends on a great many variables at the time of detonation. Yield, altitude, atmosphere conditions, location, type of weapon etc... the list goes on. Since I well outside the continental US (Canada), presuming the US is the target, my distance may be a factor in limiting my exposure to the effects of EMP.

I can't plan for everything, but I am trying to accomplish what I can within my limited means. Building a faraday cage to protect all my gear is not economically viable. I do have a warehouse space for my business which seems to be quite a decent faraday cage in itself because cell phones and radios will not work inside of it when the doors are closed. Too bad I can't fit the RV inside :(

you know, I was thinking the same thing. My dad's shop blocks cell phone pretty good, and so does solid earth. I've got a metal roofed house, and I've gotta stand in the right spot in the livingroom to get any cellphone reception.

What about critical space in the engine compartment surrounded by a cage of some kind? My Iltis is pretty well enclosed because it's got a huge skid plate, side mid guards made out of metal, a big metal hood, a metal distributor/cap, and shielded plug wires. Maybe it wouldn't be that hard to emp-proof the compartment itself rather than bother emp proofing each individual component?

Also: throw in a mechanical injector diesel motor with a mechanical stop valve in that beast and nothing will stop that thing (except finding a way to start it after the electrical goes. air starters maybe?).

Real_Ale_Act
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like the PAW ones better!

Post by Real_Ale_Act » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:23 pm

I saw a diesel with an hydraulic start once. (a Detroit 4-71 on a stand) The reservoir was only about 8"dia by 18", and had a hand lever to pressurize. I didn't think that 4 pulls on the lever would be enough to start the motor, so I pressed the start button. Boy was I wrong! (sometimes it's good to be wrong :D

This would only work on diesels that are compression started, not those with glows. I'd rig it with a PTO so that it could build up pressure while running for use the next time I started it, but put the hand lever behind the passenger seat so that if it didn't start the first time and used up all the reserve pressure, I wouldn't have to get out of the vehicle to repressurize it. Much better for personal safety that way.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
Suizen wrote: (damned to hell reason and logic... who needs it?! PANIC SQUAD!!! UNITE!)
Chapter XV: ZS, California-Style

Canuckdoomer
28 Weeks Later

Post by Canuckdoomer » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:27 pm

It may be possible to shield the entire engine compartment from EMP. Much military equipment is hardened in such a way. The trick would be to figure out whether it worked because none of us have a way of actually generating the EMP to test it. Mental masturbation at best. Even they seem to be unsure if shielding works because of the variables I previously mentioned.

Yaivenov
Favorite Zombie Movies: Where do you even start?

Post by Yaivenov » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:35 pm

Real_Ale_Act wrote:I saw a diesel with an hydraulic start once. (a Detroit 4-71 on a stand) The reservoir was only about 8"dia by 18", and had a hand lever to pressurize. I didn't think that 4 pulls on the lever would be enough to start the motor, so I pressed the start button. Boy was I wrong! (sometimes it's good to be wrong :D

This would only work on diesels that are compression started, not those with glows. I'd rig it with a PTO so that it could build up pressure while running for use the next time I started it, but put the hand lever behind the passenger seat so that if it didn't start the first time and used up all the reserve pressure, I wouldn't have to get out of the vehicle to repressurize it. Much better for personal safety that way.
That's pretty slick and sounds like it would work well on my M35A2. It's kinda neat that once running that truck doesn't actually need its electrics to be functional.
Idiocracy was a documentary.

MosinMe

Post by MosinMe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:55 am

Bump for the awesomeness that is this thread.

I added some driving lights to my Heep but put them aiming backwards on the stock pod tail lights.

They work amazing as flood lights when backing up or off-road. They also blind those pesky tailgaters... :mrgreen:
Jeriah wrote: Chinese jungle boots will rip, rot, shred, and fall apart like your cock after a month in a Thai brothel.
The 4x4 Thread.

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:25 am

Polycarbonate glass replacements on everything except sunroof (make hardened metal shield to cover the glass, you just want an escape path, and a way to get out of the side doors even though they have polycarbonate replacements (window release lever?)

I think some kind of plow might be interesting if you ran across smaller caltrops or pipes or somethig on the road, just to push them off. Armor plate would be great if you can spare the weight, and consider an external automated fire supression system. I cant think of the names of companies that make them right now, but look em up. Do they make fire resistant or heat reflective paint for maybe if you drove in burning areas like cities or possibly forest fires?
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Post by doc savage » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:39 pm

couldn't believe this was real. damn.
i like it.

i would also like to suggest a military style barbed-wire diverting guide and cable cutter setup. if you're intent on running roadblocks, might come in handy. saw them on a SF/dunebuggy rig, heavy gauge wires running from the lowest point on the front of your vehicle up to the roof. there was a C-shaped snipper at the top. supposed to protect the windshield/crew compartment from cables and strands of wire drawn across roadways and cycle paths.

E

Post by E » Tue May 25, 2010 7:51 pm

no longer calling shenanigans in my head. this is one of the most badass things i've seen in a long time!
ideas would include the spray oil. Maybe make it into a heavy mist so it mists over the following windshield. i dont know how id do it though, that's just my idea. i'll leave it up to you to pull off :D
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Sun May 30, 2010 11:31 pm

Bandits will eventually start using stop-strips in remote areas, so it seems like a good idea to consider countermeasures for that, as well. A scraper mounted low enough to move 'em would probably pose clearance issues, but maybe a chain curtain, each chain ending in a little hook (thinking about something like what the Soviets used to use under prisoner train cars to prevent 'em from escaping through the floor) to catch the stop strip before it can reach the tires.

Otherwise, a deployable mat that could drape itself over the offending object, allowing the vehicle to drive over unmolested.

I've always thought a medium-duty truck would be a great compromise, having spent several years driving the larger stuff, and with a desire to get back under the D.O.T. radar. You can operate a smaller truck commercially, locally, with much less trouble than a class 8 rig. This way, your toy can at least partially pay for itself.

As for the aforementioned lead based paint. Don't try it. I used to operate radar systems as a private trucking safety guy (had to get certified, too), and not a single trick... even the expensive ones that you see advertised, worked. Well, except for detectors, anyway. Properly used, they're pretty darned effective. Just make sure there are people ahead of you, so you'll hear the 'instant on' activate while they're clocking someone else.

Here's an interesting truck for a project...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDQkWYf-HV4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon May 31, 2010 12:14 am

Attach a snowplow to the front, hydrolics to operate it, and add a PTO if you don't already have one to run the hydrolics. Clearance issue solved, just throw money at it.

:? :lol: :P

GraveDigger G
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2002)

Post by GraveDigger G » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:58 pm

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... AA280_.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'nuff said.
"Never Let A Good Crisis Go To Waste"

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Regulator » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:53 pm

More fun to build your own :mrgreen:

GraveDigger G
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2002)

Post by GraveDigger G » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm

i know, i just had to throw it out there.
"Never Let A Good Crisis Go To Waste"

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:22 pm

This thread is full of win. I need to spend more time in the transportation section. Keep up us posted on the awesome work.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:39 am

Loving this.
A few ideas/comments I thought of.
Glass is NOT IR opaque- if it was, driving with NV on would be impossible. If noral light will pass, chances are very high UV and IR will as well, with some exceptions- there ARE coatings out there for this.
Fog/Smoke emitter and oil slick sprayer. OK, replace the 11volt motor on an oil burner with a 12 volt DC motor (you'll likely need to make a bracket), and wire that model A coil to the ignition electrodes. Replace the nozzle with a high gallon rating nozzle of the A type (solid cone), and you can spray oil all you want as a mist. Anything landing on the road can create a slick, and anyone close behind you will get a windshield full of it to blind them. Turning on the model A coil (you'll need a circuit to build up and collapse a voltage to it) can ignite the oil mist for a flame effect. Note that fuel oil/diesel will not just light up if laying out in the open- it needs to be either atomized (sprayed in a fine mist) or wicked, like in a lamp. This will keep you from setting the road surface itself on fire instead of creating just a slick. A nozzle directed into the exhaust will create PLUMES of smoke out the tailpipe. A diversion valve can let you use the same fuel pump for the fuel oil as is in the oil burner. Solenoid valves would let you make any and all of these operate selectively, and can be tied into the ignition circuit.
Emergency windows. Use a thick layer of polycarbonate as a window pane, and secure it in place with a sash window lock on each side. Releasing the sash locks will allow the entire piece to be removed like a hatch cover.
I like the exoskeleton idea of brush guards- I'd just stagger them at the doors, so they don't bind when opening.

We BOTH have too much time on our hands. The important difference is, mine is while I'm at work, so all I can do is think about this stuff- YOU are actually building it, and making me very jealous!
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

bigmattdaddywack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later,Hide and Creep, Night of the living dead, Undead, Return of the Living Dead.
Not truly zombie movies but, Evil Dead I and II, Army of darkness

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:13 am

awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Benbrutal

Post by Benbrutal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:14 pm

I thought I read an article from Australia about how people had to install sweepers in front of their tires because of toads getting on the road in such numbers they were destroying the traction. Sort of a giant wire brush looking thing, I imagine you would want the ability to replace the brushes as they wore out.

Weaponry for zeds? Blackpowder cannon (3 inch diameter)firing oo Buckshot fore and/or aft. Muzzle-loaders are legal most states as long as they do not fire exploding shells. You could actually fire them as a test, but I would NOT mount them Pre-PAW. If we are going all Mad-Max here. :lol:
Preparedness: The difference between can-of-food and cannibal.
The big feral hogs are only good for sausage, but the young ones can be made into bacon,
and once you have bacon, you win!

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:33 pm

http://www.armoredcars.com/cit-ford-f-550.php

Works for me. I'd get rid of the disco lights though.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:56 pm

For your next trick you should rig up a Tombstone. 8)

Return to “Transportation”