Rolling Weapons, Vehicle Armament, (Now w/pics)

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Re: Rolling Weapons, Vehicle Armament, (Now w/pics)

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:30 am

Wow. Useless? Useful? Who gives a fuck? Hat's off to you!
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

meatshieldChris
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Evil Dead trilogy

Post by meatshieldChris » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:00 am

re: black out lights, my iltis came from the army with it's blackout light system. it's small LEDs in the front and rear bumper, spaced such that when you're too far away, the lights look like a single dot, telling you to close up. when you're too close, the dots take a pattern. I think this is VERY good to have on a convoy where you need to be a little stealthy. It even had a shrouded light, fairly low powered, that shined in the forward wheel well a little bit forwards, on the drivers side. that let the driver see where the wheel was ending up for use in bad terrain. The LEDs arn't really visible beyond a certain range, and definitely invisible beyond the range at which you'd be able to locate the vehicle by sound.

I'd do that on a blackout system.

http://www.tpub.com/content/constructio ... 273_78.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Regulator » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:02 am

cannondale126:
It’d have to be pretty serious rockets to get more power then the engine was putting out. I have been thinking about putting a pulsejet on a go-kart though. I don’t think you could get enough elevation for a parachute to deploy. You’d probably eject yourself up a serious case of roadrash.

AmirMortal:
The bus is a party bus. Still working on it but no Zombie defensive measures going in it. Although Zombie strippers would be welcome, lol.

meatshieldChris:
I do want to include a push bumper on this truck. In fact I’d like to have tubes from the front bumper back over the front wheel wells tying into the rocksliders then over the rear wheel wells and tying into the rear bumper. Kinda like a lower half exoskeleton. If you can visualize that. As far as the paint and lead, my thought was, it can’t hurt and it’s some pretty damn tough paint. Also, thanks for the lights link. Looks like some good info and I’m still exploring the site.

MIKE_the_MILITANT:
The positive air is a good idea. Even if it were only good for CS and other airborne pollutants that might be likely in a disaster. I would just don the mask if I found myself in a true NBC environment. I actually have some ½ Kevlar board that was leftover from lining the walls of a local courthouse that will stop handgun bullets. I’ve thought about using it somehow.

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:30 am

Regulator wrote:I actually have some ½ Kevlar board

We all know that in Hollywood car doors a viable as shields, why not make that true for your vehicle, at least for the driver's side. :P

GOVT1911

Post by GOVT1911 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:59 am

I'd use the kevlar boards in the seatbacks and do what you can on the firewall. I have a couple old Level IIA vests installed in the back of both seats of my Jeep, just because I had'em sitting around and what can it hurt?? 8)

The diesel smoke generator should do a pretty good job of coating someone chasing you's windshield. You could also get one of the old fire extinguishers that have a schrader valve (tire valve) to pressurize it, fill it with diesel or old motor oil and have the hose/nozzle aimed out under your rear bumper kinda facing up. You could probabally use a bug sprayer too, but the extinguisher would work much better. That'd do a pretty good job of coating a windshield where the wipers wouldn't do any good.

I read a couple years ago about a company in South Africa that was installing propane "flame throwers" that shot flames out under the driver and passenger doors to take care of carjackers. Guess that's a pretty big problem there LOL!

Thinking about it a little more, you could put a dump valve in the bottom of a metal 5 gallon jerry can full of old motor oil and have it sitting in a rack on the back of your rig. pressurize the can with maybe 10-20 PSI of air and either electrically (servo)or mechanically (cable) openthe dump valve on the bottom and SPLAT, oil on the road. Hey, you could weld up your own rear bumper out of either pipe or square tubing and do the same thing, but it'd be more concealed. Probabally fit more oil into a 2x6" rectangular steel bumper anyway!

I'm digging the party bus too!!!
I'm not really worried about the bullet with my name on it, but I AM concerned about the one addressed "To whom it may concern".

GOVT1911

Post by GOVT1911 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:59 am

I'd use the kevlar boards in the seatbacks and do what you can on the firewall. I have a couple old Level IIA vests installed in the back of both seats of my Jeep, just because I had'em sitting around and what can it hurt?? 8)

The diesel smoke generator should do a pretty good job of coating someone chasing you's windshield. You could also get one of the old fire extinguishers that have a schrader valve (tire valve) to pressurize it, fill it with diesel or old motor oil and have the hose/nozzle aimed out under your rear bumper kinda facing up. You could probabally use a bug sprayer too, but the extinguisher would work much better. That'd do a pretty good job of coating a windshield where the wipers wouldn't do any good.

I read a couple years ago about a company in South Africa that was installing propane "flame throwers" that shot flames out under the driver and passenger doors to take care of carjackers. Guess that's a pretty big problem there LOL!

Thinking about it a little more, you could put a dump valve in the bottom of a metal 5 gallon jerry can full of old motor oil and have it sitting in a rack on the back of your rig. pressurize the can with maybe 10-20 PSI of air and either electrically (servo)or mechanically (cable) openthe dump valve on the bottom and SPLAT, oil on the road. Hey, you could weld up your own rear bumper out of either pipe or square tubing and do the same thing, but it'd be more concealed. Probabally fit more oil into a 2x6" rectangular steel bumper anyway!

I'm digging the party bus too!!!
I'm not really worried about the bullet with my name on it, but I AM concerned about the one addressed "To whom it may concern".

cssims

Post by cssims » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:22 am

Jeriah wrote:It blows my mind that this thread wasn't bullshit. Steve Jackson's got a massive hard on right now. That shit's awesome.
Ah Car Wars..good ol' Uncle Alberts.

I always used Rigs as my dream vehicles..cause they can plow through almost darn near anything. heheh (plus all the turrents you can mount on the trailers.)

ninja steve

Post by ninja steve » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:14 am

What about a snow plow on the front?

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:38 am

JohnnyMayhem wrote:
How would you do oil slicks?
Well, I would assume that it would be more or less a water proofed version of your caltrop drop box. Hell it could be disguised as an extra jerry can on the back of your rig.

I'm not quite sure on how to get it to work though.
GOVT1911 wrote: you could put a dump valve in the bottom of a metal 5 gallon jerry can full of old motor oil and have it sitting in a rack on the back of your rig. pressurize the can with maybe 10-20 PSI of air and either electrically (servo)or mechanically (cable) openthe dump valve on the bottom and SPLAT, oil on the road. Hey, you could weld up your own rear bumper out of either pipe or square tubing and do the same thing, but it'd be more concealed. Probabally fit more oil into a 2x6" rectangular steel bumper anyway!
I think you guys are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Reservoir + aquarium pump = oil slick. :lol:

You can also buy complete aftermarket 12v windshield washer kits, complete w/ reservoir, tubing, nozzles, pump & switch (I used to get them to replace the screwy pressurized-from-the-spare-tire systems on older Volkswagens). I would guess you could just buy one of those and use it as-is...
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

meatshieldChris
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Evil Dead trilogy

Post by meatshieldChris » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:58 am

GeneralDiscontent wrote:
JohnnyMayhem wrote:
Well, I would assume that it would be more or less a water proofed version of your caltrop drop box. Hell it could be disguised as an extra jerry can on the back of your rig.

GOVT1911 wrote: you could put a dump valve in the bottom of a metal 5 gallon jerry can full of old motor oil and have it sitting in a rack on the back of your rig. pressurize the can with maybe 10-20 PSI of air and either electrically (servo)or mechanically (cable) openthe dump valve on the bottom and SPLAT, oil on the road. Hey, you could weld up your own rear bumper out of either pipe or square tubing and do the same thing, but it'd be more concealed. Probabally fit more oil into a 2x6" rectangular steel bumper anyway!
I think you guys are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Reservoir + aquarium pump = oil slick. :lol:

You can also buy complete aftermarket 12v windshield washer kits, complete w/ reservoir, tubing, nozzles, pump & switch (I used to get them to replace the screwy pressurized-from-the-spare-tire systems on older Volkswagens). I would guess you could just buy one of those and use it as-is...

would that dump enough oil in a short enough period of time to make a decent puddle? and has anyone ever tested the traction of a car with oil on pavement? they used to use straight oil on the dirt and gravel roads here, it was never detrimental to traction that I could notice when you'd drive on the road just after it was done being oiled then you hit pavement. I'd imagine the tires would clear fairly quickly, most tires are designed to squish liquids out of the way

WhyNotFab
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by WhyNotFab » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:07 pm

this thread's awesome haha!

man in black
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead
return of the living dead
28 days later
28 weeks later

Post by man in black » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:40 pm

air powered spud gun turret on the roof.
As we run into the house
The wall of dead surrounds
Tentacles of decay flesh
Tear and pull us down
Doors and windows boarded shut
But the pressure was too much
Zombie I, girl please run away

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevincurbstomp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- my tumblr

Deadbox

Post by Deadbox » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:06 pm

The oil slick idea could be hard to do but to have the oil spray up on the windsheild of the chase car would be more of a deterrent.

Think about it, whats the first thing you do when liquid hits your windsheild? Exactly the same as anyone else. Hit the wipers.

madwolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Days of Darkness!

Post by madwolf » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:47 am

OMFG!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

When I saw the first post I thought you were so full o' shit it's not even funny. Kinda like that kid with the extended mags with "melded" springs a while back, but, I must say it:

You, sir, are the man!

You have taken every crazy A-Team inspired fantasy for vehicle mods and made them real.

I salute you :!:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

concept2w

Post by concept2w » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:53 am

meatshieldChris wrote:
GeneralDiscontent wrote:
JohnnyMayhem wrote:

would that dump enough oil in a short enough period of time to make a decent puddle? and has anyone ever tested the traction of a car with oil on pavement? they used to use straight oil on the dirt and gravel roads here, it was never detrimental to traction that I could notice when you'd drive on the road just after it was done being oiled then you hit pavement. I'd imagine the tires would clear fairly quickly, most tires are designed to squish liquids out of the way
Squishing out oil out of the way. eh!

Are you aware the amount of oil needed to make a surface slippery, just dump a liter of oil in a curve and see it spreaded in tire track fashion. soon after you'll see drifting cars.

Oil is fun.

Mr.Pliskin

Post by Mr.Pliskin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:36 pm

I once saw a TV show with the smoke screen, only they used radiator fluid instead of oil. Another thing on that show was a theft deterrent, they wired under the door handle to a (regulator?) that upped the amperage from the battery to 100,000. So when the car alarm was on, and you tried to open the door… ZAP.

Just don’t forget to un-arm the car.

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Regulator » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks guys. I’m glad you’re diggin my projects. I had actually hoped to be workin on my newest truck a bit today but we got snow last night and it’s about 17 degrees outside so I think I’ll stay indoors.

You all are definitely coming up with some good ideas. I think for the oil, it wouldn’t be to hard to set it up dual purpose. Ie: valve one way to spray the road or the other way to spray high for windshields. You could use the same air source and reservoir. We have an old abandon paved road we could test the slickness on. It’s nothing we have ever actually tried either.

I have a Model A or T coil and would like to find a reason to hook it up to the truck, lol. I never have before just for liability. Hate to have some old woman bump the truck and get zapped or something. But in the PAW it would be useful.

So I appreciate your ideas, I’m going to be building some of this stuff and will keep you informed of the progress. In the mean time I’m thinking about things like this,

Front bumper mounted wire/cable cutters. Something that would allow you to drive thru these things. Kinda like the old military Jeeps.

Anyone know how people used to get the old hot-rods to shoot fire out of the tailpipes? I know they wired in sparkplugs, just not sure how.

And a HUD (heads up display) system. Any illuminated reverse image on the top of the dash would reflect correctly into the windshield. I think that would be pretty damn cool, even if the windows would likely be broken quickly in a SHTF scenario

Anyway, this is what happens when you have to much time on your hands, lol. Makes me wanna go play trucks.

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Regulator wrote:
Anyone know how people used to get the old hot-rods to shoot fire out of the tailpipes? I know they wired in sparkplugs, just not sure how.

And a HUD (heads up display) system. Any illuminated reverse image on the top of the dash would reflect correctly into the windshield. I think that would be pretty damn cool, even if the windows would likely be broken quickly in a SHTF scenario

That's basicly what they did with the whole tailpipe throwers. They just threw in an extra sparkplug, and either had an extra wire tied into the current coil, or to the distribuiter. Or they would just run an extra wire from the battery to a switch then a coil, to the back of the tailpipe. (I remember that there was a company that sold kits for a while to do that.

As for the hud, I'm not quite sure, but a friend of mine had used some mini servalance cameras tied into the back of his hearse so he could see all the blind spots when backing up. (and he would parrallel park that sucker in downtown Denver without a problem)
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:25 pm

JohnnyMayhem wrote:
Regulator wrote:

That's basicly what they did with the whole tailpipe throwers. They just threw in an extra sparkplug, and either had an extra wire tied into the current coil, or to the distribuiter. Or they would just run an extra wire from the battery to a switch then a coil, to the back of the tailpipe. (I remember that there was a company that sold kits for a while to do that.
They still sell kits - just google "exhaust flame thrower" and you'll get several companies that sell them. JohnnyMayhem is right, usually just a plug & a coil, although the car must have a carburetor & can't have a catalytic converter. If you want exhaust flamethrowers on a newer car w/ EFI, etc., you have to get a kit with an electronic control box.
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

Medic Nemec
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by Medic Nemec » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:08 pm

If you're looking for a way to allow a passenger to use a mounted weapon they have one on the "Special Forces" version of the HMMWV. It's an arm-mounted pintle mount that swings in and out and can mount an LMG on it. Probably anything that will fit on the mount really. Really good view in this pic (thanks google) and the long arm w/bend is so the passenger can fire it while driving. Never seen it up close so I don't know how stable it is when moving though.

Combat Medic (68W)
EMT-Tactical Paramedic

WES
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead (original & remake).

Post by WES » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:49 am

GOVT1911 wrote: I read a couple years ago about a company in South Africa that was installing propane "flame throwers" that shot flames out under the driver and passenger doors to take care of carjackers. Guess that's a pretty big problem there LOL!
Uh, actually, they do... I've heard attacks on whites in south africa are pretty common... doesn't get a lot of media attention. people park their car in the garage, get out, and someone drops out of the rafters and cuts their throat. Payback's a bitch. They have all kinds of crazy security systems over there for things like this.

I've actually been hit by someone with a smokescreen... guy cut us off on the freeway in Los Angeles, then we passed him and my friend flipped him off... the guy came flying past us, and then boom... huge clouds of yellow brown smoke.

Not only couldn't we see, but it coated the windshield with greasy oily gunk... turning on the windshield wipers only made it worse, just smeared it around. We had to get off the freeway and find a gas station. Took us over 20 minutes to clean the windshield.

Moral: don't flip off random drivers in Los Angeles.
Don't Panic :)

Risto

Post by Risto » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:29 am

Some nice mods you have there.

Few things though: The mylar blankets inside the vehicle are useless. Space blanket hides ir signature because it's metal coating reflects back the ir radiation. Car's metal body panels will reflect IR radiation as well as, or even better than a space blanket. Also glass is opaque to infrared radiation.
Few strategically placed ir reflectors outside the car could be useful. Like someone said before, the entire undeside of the car "glows" infrared. see: http://image.caraudiomag.com/f/10873296 ... r_view.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tires and brakes will also glow after use.

Also i don't think lead based paints are particularly effective radar absorbers. At least i have never heard about them being used for that. They are also a serious health hazard.

I saw somewhere an intresting method to create homemade RAM coating by shredding old magnetic tapes (VHS, C-casette etc.), and mixing them with paint or some other binder material like epoxy. Theoretically it could work.

Also finely ground graphite from for example a pencil mixed with a binder might be effective.

An easy way to test how effectively a material absorbs radar is to put it in the microwave oven and see how fast it heats up. (not kidding)

But keeping in the real world, an average car contains so many effective radar reflectors that even if you painted your car with mil-pec radar absorbent paint, the radar cross section of your car would still be huge.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:08 am

Wow just wow
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:49 am

MacAttack wrote:How about a JTOW pack for a little get away speed?
Took me like a month to figure out you meant "JATO". (Jet Assisted Take-Off) :lol:

*ETA: This is probably one of the coolest, if least practical/legal threads in a while (thanks for the disclaimer). Awesome. 8)
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Return to “Transportation”