Rolling Weapons, Vehicle Armament, (Now w/pics)

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Rolling Weapons, Vehicle Armament, (Now w/pics)

Post by Regulator » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:48 pm

I’d like to know peoples thoughts and ideas on vehicle weaponry. Not the items you would carry in your vehicle, but what you can or would install to make your BOV more Zombie unfriendly.

For instance, I have or have had in vehicles, diesel injectors for smoke screens, cab operated caltrop drops, pepper spray sprayers above the doors, infrared cloaking, radar cloaking, electrically fired launch tubes, bullet resistant body panels, etc. All homebuilt and fun ways to waste a weekend.

Any new tips, ideas, suggestions would be appreciated. And I’d be happy to share what info I have on the topic.

Like a lot of things where I live, these items are legal to have, just don’t use them.
Last edited by Regulator on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Re: Rolling Weapons, Vehicle Armament

Post by AmirMortal » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:50 pm

Regulator wrote: For instance, I have or have had in vehicles, diesel injectors for smoke screens, cab operated caltrop drops, pepper spray sprayers above the doors, infrared cloaking, radar cloaking, electrically fired launch tubes, bullet resistant body panels, etc. All homebuilt and fun ways to waste a weekend.
Pics or it didn't happen! :P

cannondale126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead ,Undead, 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, too many too list!

Post by cannondale126 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:52 pm

I got a bad feeling about this one.................................
cougar1578 wrote:
TravisM.1 wrote:Few thousand 5.56mm, ~2k 9mm, Some assorted .243, 30-06, .303 British, 7.62x54R, A couple hundred 12g, and 60K+ of .22lr.
Travis, I thought it would be bigger.
Reeearrr!

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:53 pm

What about surplus modified shrikes? They attach nicely to my golf cart.
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:56 pm

I'm pretty interested in the cloaking, myself.

Do you mix OC into the smoke screen oil reservoir? How do you make your caltrops? Have you tried dash-mounted running/brake light lockout switches? A magazine of quick-change legit-appearing plates? Maybe a directed EMP emitter?

Obviously this vehicle is for off-road use on private property for entertainment purposes only, or you'd have never brought this up, right?
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:03 am

I knew the pics question would come up. lol I will get some up. The cloaking is simple enough. Line the interior body panels with mylar space blankets, seal with metal tape. These are made to reflect heat, reduces your thermal signature. Radar, use lead based paint as a undercoat. It absorbs radar.

And yes, obviously you're not going to be wanting to play with this stuff going down the public highways.

What's a shrike?

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:07 am

They may be legal to own but you beter check the laws of haveing them installed in working order on your car.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

cannondale126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead ,Undead, 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, too many too list!

Post by cannondale126 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:11 am

Gotta see this. Where can you buy lead based paint?
cougar1578 wrote:
TravisM.1 wrote:Few thousand 5.56mm, ~2k 9mm, Some assorted .243, 30-06, .303 British, 7.62x54R, A couple hundred 12g, and 60K+ of .22lr.
Reeearrr!

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:14 am

I still have a crap load of it from my grandfathers day ( he was a painter ).
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:33 am

We used red pepper (capsicum) mixed with a light oil in its own reservoir. Ran tubes under body panels from a washer fluid pump. Caltrops are easily cut out of a square of heavy sheet metal with snips and then bent to shape. Light lockouts are a good idea, and pretty easy on the older vehicles. New ones would scare me, of course whose gonna do this kind of stuff to a new vehicle I guess. Never messed with the plates, never was trying to hide. I suppose it could be useful someday. EMP’s are above my skill set, although I had thought about high frequency pulse “weapons”.

Lead based paint is hard to find. Best bet is to ask someplace that paints military equipment if you can have their empty paint buckets. It doesn’t take much to paint a vehicle. And those buckets always have some left.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:06 am

How about a JTOW pack for a little get away speed?

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:25 pm

Regulator wrote: The cloaking is simple enough. Line the interior body panels with mylar space blankets, seal with metal tape. These are made to reflect heat, reduces your thermal signature. Radar, use lead based paint as a undercoat. It absorbs radar.
Regulator wrote: Never messed with the plates, never was trying to hide.
Does not compute.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:52 pm

I think someone has been licking their car.

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:40 pm

Ya know, I’m not here to brag and swing my dick around. I am looking to learn more about every topic I can. Including vehicle armament. I listed some of the things I know so that others would know to ask if they were interested.

I read through the other threads and see a lot of pretty vehicles that wouldn’t last 5 miles when TSHTF and a lot of dream vehicles that you’re never going to own.

Seems to me that if someone is going to bug out, adequate transportation might be high on their priority list. So with that in mind, I am interested in learning more ways to “harden” a vehicle. I am also willing to share any knowledge I have on the subject, including finding some pics to post or taking new ones. However, that takes some time and if there’s no interest here I’m not going to put the effort into it.

Informative / constructive comments are appreciated.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:53 pm

AmirMortal wrote:
Regulator wrote: The cloaking is simple enough. Line the interior body panels with mylar space blankets, seal with metal tape. These are made to reflect heat, reduces your thermal signature. Radar, use lead based paint as a undercoat. It absorbs radar.
Does not compute.
I'm springing a brain-cog at sneekily masking the human traces but leaving the honking great engine and tailpipe...

Lead-based paint was very common before it was phased out. I don't recall the navies of the world using it to make battleships invisible. Without seeing a test, I think you've at best got wishful thinking here. At worst, we'll be painting some phone-cord-wrapped katanas with it for perfect ninja stealth ;)

Aren't caltrops exceptionally illegal?

Zombie-unfriendly: riot mesh on all the externals. Run-flats. Nice big fuel tank. Zombies do not use IR, or radar, or care about caltrops or pepper spray... methinks you mean people-unfriendly.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:56 pm

andygates wrote:
AmirMortal wrote:
Does not compute.
I'm springing a brain-cog at sneekily masking the human traces but leaving the honking great engine and tailpipe...

Lead-based paint was very common before it was phased out. I don't recall the navies of the world using it to make battleships invisible. Without seeing a test, I think you've at best got wishful thinking here. At worst, we'll be painting some phone-cord-wrapped katanas with it for perfect ninja stealth ;)

Aren't caltrops exceptionally illegal?

Zombie-unfriendly: riot mesh on all the externals. Run-flats. Nice big fuel tank. Zombies do not use IR, or radar, or care about caltrops or pepper spray... methinks you mean people-unfriendly.
Will lead paint stick to an aluminum katana blade? :wink:

Not sure what the Navies did back in the day. Today the Military uses CARC paint. That is "Chemical Agent Resistant Coating" and it is designed to trap chemicals and then to release the top layers during decontamination, it also gives a reduced signature when viewed with infrared. But it is HIGHLY absorbent and will soak up moisture so I doubt the Navy uses it either. CARC is the best , however lead paint will give you similar benefits.

Caltrops aren’t illegal here. Unless you’re doing something stupid with them. Even then, it’d be your action not so much the item.

Zombies are tougher than people so it wouldn’t be a stretch to think these things would be people unfriendly as well. A M4 rifle is people unfriendly if used against them. I don’t recommend trying out your latest vehicle weaponry on people any more than your M4.

cannondale126

Post by cannondale126 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:29 pm

There seems to be an unwritten rule here,Pics or it didn't happen.OP your original post says that you have,had some of these items you then went on to say that you would post pics, There was a lot of interest in the pics. There is another thread on the active topic thread right now about a certain Chevelle with some 55 gallon drums of fuel on the back read the post you'll see why.
There are also some very nicely set up vehicles posted here including some armored ones.
The pics would lend to your credibility just my opinion.
cougar1578 wrote:
Reeearrr!

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:55 pm

Yeah, I read about the mobile command center and Mad Max car. To funny! Anyrate, I understand pics are proof and I dug some out this morning. I have to go to my bus, (mobile party center) tomorrow and I’ll snap a couple new pics. These vehicle mods have been on a few vehicles starting back in the 80s. I did take a few pics then, now I take pics of everything simply because with the internet I can share pics much easier. I recently bought another K5 Blazer and intend on doing a lot of mods to it. While that itself doesn’t provide pics, I do plan to photograph every step and perhaps make a tutorial.

So, stand by for pics. I’ll edit my title when I get them posted. But if anyone has new ideas on cool vehicle mods we can still toss them around. I have seen some pretty cool user vehicles on here. I’m curious as to what other options they may have though.

scafool

Post by scafool » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:16 pm

I install a big oversize loose nut behind the steering wheel of my car.
That one single modification makes any vehicle very Zombie unfriendly

Seanwins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil (all)

Post by Seanwins » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:23 pm

If you post that you are building what are essentially James Bond cars on the weekend, don't be surprised if a few people doubt it. I mean, it's not really a common thing to do, is it?

We also get more than a few people who get a kick out of making others think they are super awesome tacticool, but never back any of their claims with proof.

That being said, and having seen an infrared camera or two in action, your Mylar infrared defeater probably does almost nothing to defeat an infrared camera. There are just too many open sources of heat on a vehicle like: you, the windows, the exhaust and the engine. Engines need to be exposed to be cool, so I wouldn't recommend wrapping the engine bay in anything that is supposed to hold heat in.

As for defeating radar.......are you talking about radar guns? Because there are lots of ways to do that, the easiest of which is not driving at excessive speed. If you were talking about being detected by radar...who looks for cars with radar?

Jacob Creutzfeldt

Post by Jacob Creutzfeldt » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:53 am

Some inspiration. :mrgreen:

Lining the body of the car to reduce infrared signature is a waste of time, unless you intend to have a stationary vehicle. I have looked at the side a normal car through an ATGM thermal sight. The hot parts that really stand out are the tyres (rubber gets warm) and the underside (the exhaust system underneath the car). I don't remember the engine or passenger compartment being noticably warmer. This was some time ago, but I remember the tyres and exhaust system being really noticable.

So you need covered wheels and some way to cool/shield the exhaust pipe. I imagine there would be detectable heat from the front of the vehicle (radiator, headlights that have been on recently, front tyres) and from the rear (exhaust pipe, rear tyres). If you have braked a lot, the hubs will be warm as well.
The light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:38 am

Seanwins wrote:If you post that you are building what are essentially James Bond cars on the weekend, don't be surprised if a few people doubt it. I mean, it's not really a common thing to do, is it?

We also get more than a few people who get a kick out of making others think they are super awesome tacticool, but never back any of their claims with proof.

That being said, and having seen an infrared camera or two in action, your Mylar infrared defeater probably does almost nothing to defeat an infrared camera. There are just too many open sources of heat on a vehicle like: you, the windows, the exhaust and the engine. Engines need to be exposed to be cool, so I wouldn't recommend wrapping the engine bay in anything that is supposed to hold heat in.

As for defeating radar.......are you talking about radar guns? Because there are lots of ways to do that, the easiest of which is not driving at excessive speed. If you were talking about being detected by radar...who looks for cars with radar?

No surprise. I got a photobucket account and will give you something to look at soon. I don’t build James Bond cars on weekends tho… lol. I suppose I may have to give him some credit for inspiration as a kid but now it’s more trying to do things other people don’t. And over the course of many years.

I use cloaking in the sense of masking a reading. It won’t make you or your vehicle invisible but it will mask the reading. Ie: they’ll see your vehicle but not how many people are in it. Of course new thermal imaging technology may have rendered this useless now. You very well may know more about it than I do.

As far as speed radar, my only experience that I know I was gunned was when I asked a cop friend of mine to try shortly after I painted it. He got me on the third try. Not unusual. So I don’t know. As far as looking for vehicles with radar, well Zombies might. :wink:

I am pretty well set on gear, messing around with these vehicles is for the most part just fun. And if they can have a useful purpose in the event of disaster it makes them even better.

Mad Bodhi

Post by Mad Bodhi » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:08 pm

Milspray does have a military only product called Helios TS (thermal suppresive) which is quite impressive. [url][http://www.milspray.com/products/therma ... s.html/url]I suppose that the exhaust could be baffled along with a fresh air intake to reduce the exhaust signature but you still have windows.Milspray also offers a civy legal CARC substitute that retains the IR reflective qualities of CARC without the nasty stuff that makes G.I. CARC a pain to work with. I don't see how any of this will help with zombies.As far as the rest of the stuff you claim to have built in.Setting aside the legality,which is highly doubtful.Machines malfunction,it's the nature of the beast.Do you really want to be the guy who "accidentally" releases caltrops or any type of weapon on a public highway and kills someone ?

Yaivenov
Favorite Zombie Movies: Where do you even start?

Post by Yaivenov » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Three days and still no pics? Tsk-tsk.
Idiocracy was a documentary.

Return to “Transportation”