Unofficial ZS War Bike Projects

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

johndoe

Re: Unofficial ZS War Bike Projects (updated 9/5/11,page 14)

Post by johndoe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:18 pm

bucho wrote:What are people's thoughts for carrying firearms on bikes?

I have a concealed carry permit. I have a nice shoulder rig I carry my Glock in. It fits nice under my riding gear. And is accessable with through the chest zipper. Or I have a snubby revolver I carry in the chest pocket of my riding gear. I know some people say they would never carry a pistol on their person b/c they don't want to land on it during a crash, but I think that would be more of an issue w/ a pistol worn on your hip.
Everyone has to make their own risk assessments, but for myself, I'd be too concerned about the increase in risk of traumatic chest injury (flail chest, popping an aorta, etc) with having a large hunk of metal in that region. You're right, though, there is risk associated with carrying on the hip, but intuitively without doing much research, it seems even a pelvic fracture is going to be more survivable. Myself, I usually carry a P3AT in my pants pocket when riding. It's not ideal, but I think it's a good balance of risk for me.

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:53 am

Over the weekend I picked up a brand new 2011 KLR650 at cost, because the dealership is going out of business. Very different than bikes I'm used to but so far I really like it. After many years of riding vintage motorcycles it's a strange new world on this beast: DISC BRAKES! :lol:
"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

bucho
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by bucho » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:11 pm

Civilian Scout wrote:Over the weekend I picked up a brand new 2011 KLR650 at cost, because the dealership is going out of business. Very different than bikes I'm used to but so far I really like it. After many years of riding vintage motorcycles it's a strange new world on this beast: DISC BRAKES! :lol:
How is the KLR? I've never owned one but bummed some rides on the older version of the KLR. They aren't the latest and greatest road bike and are heavy offroad, but I always liked them for what they were. Hope you have fun getting off the pavement with it.

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:51 am

bucho wrote:
Civilian Scout wrote:Over the weekend I picked up a brand new 2011 KLR650 at cost, because the dealership is going out of business. Very different than bikes I'm used to but so far I really like it. After many years of riding vintage motorcycles it's a strange new world on this beast: DISC BRAKES! :lol:
How is the KLR? I've never owned one but bummed some rides on the older version of the KLR. They aren't the latest and greatest road bike and are heavy offroad, but I always liked them for what they were. Hope you have fun getting off the pavement with it.
I'm enjoying it. Having done any "serious" riding yet. Just getting a feel for it, as most of my riding over the years has been on 70's Honda twins. Never had a new bike, never had a bike with such a sensitive clutch, never had a bike with disc brakes, never had a single. But I like it, and I'm adapting to it quicker than I thought. I like the fact that by modern standards it's a bit of a dinosaur but compared to the vintage bikes I'm used to it's sophisticated. It's a new bike that I can actually work on. :D

I think it will be fun for trips along Kentucky's scenic country roads, with ventures onto fire roads and trails as I get more comfortable with it.
"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

bucho

Post by bucho » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:36 am

Civilian Scout, even if you aren't planning on doing any real offroading. Do yourself a favor and get an aftermarket skid plate and a set of decent wrap around hand guards. The hand guards help protect your levers when you take a spill. The stock ones are usually pretty worthless.
The KLR650 is a pretty heavy bike w/ soft suspension, its probably not too hard to bottom out the suspension and smack some rocks. I've punched a hole in the bottom of the crank case and spilled all the oil out. Its not fun.

survivaljoe
Favorite Zombie Movies: All!!

Post by survivaljoe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:24 pm

Wow, nice thread!

Here's my 1994 XR600. Scored it in a trade.

...It's been a while...

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:19 pm

survivaljoe: Nice bike. I love the military look you have done with it. Is that a chest pouch on the tank? The 600s are tanks. I gave my '97 XR600R (street legal) to my brother. He fabbed up a headlight mount using an ULTRA bright bulb in an old KZ1000 headlight. You could cook meat with it.

My XR update: It now resides in my friends garage. I could not bare to see it rust into a heap so I brought it back up to the desert where there is no salt or fog. I may have to sell it anyway. Until that time my friend will be trying to 'make it nice again'. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it.

DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

survivaljoe

Post by survivaljoe » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:54 am

I didn't have time to give many details earlier today when I put up those pics, but yes, you guessed it, that's one of those cheapo online bargain chest rigs. I bought that thing about 5 years ago and never used it, now it has a purpose.

I also have a wool blanket, shelter half, ground mat, and some paracord wrapped up in a waterproof bag on the back, and that side saddle bag is a molle sustainment pouch.

I'm still debating if I should mount my rifle scabbard on the back panel or mount another pouch and put the rifle on the fork. Any advice?

Also, I'm pretty new to this big bike. I went from a xr250 to bikeless for about two years, then to this big 600. I'm still getting used to the thottle and the shifting, cuz this buggah can yank! Any driving tips?
I have a habit of down shifting to slow (my previous bike not having rear brakes) should I be doing that?
Also, any general maintenance tips or what not?

Thanks! This thread is awesome, I'm glad I found it.

P.S. I'll put up some better pics in a couple days also.
...It's been a while...

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 pm

Everyone seems to have different needs, riding areas, laws, opinions, etc. regarding weapons and motorcycles. Laws differ by state. When I was looking into taking a long gun on the bike everyone told me NOT to mount it on the forks or the handle bars. Some said that it would be a problem with balance or that it would just be pounded loose. Others said putting a long gun on the handle bars, while possible would affect the stearing and balance and be "bad to crash on and if you lay the bike down in a turn you can kiss the AR good bye." All seemed to have merit. I opted not to mount a rifle on the forks or handle bars. That leaves the back of the bike. Sure it can be done but I do not know the laws regarding that.....not even for my own state. You would have to look into that yourself. If I did mount one I would want a locking case. You still risk some damage in a crash I guess.

Slowing by down shifting: Yes, the XR600 and 650 both have lots of compression and I would use it to slow down. Each bike is different but the more you ride the easier it gets. As with all things practice, practice and practice some more.

Riding Tips: Read, practice and take the AMA safety course. DO NOT think that because you have seen 'From Dust To Glory" that you can ride like Mouse McCoy. I did that when I was a kid and got hurt. Don't race or try to keep up with others if they are out riding you. You can catch up later in one piece. As you may know street riding, MX and trail riding are all different. The more you learn and practice the safer you will be. Don't go cheap on your safty gear. Also, I never learned to do things like wheelies. I was not about to try and learn on a 600/650 and I gave up even want to try. I'd rather keep myself safe and the bike shiney. I hope Kace pipes up as he has a TON of experience and he may have some suggestions as well.

As for working on you bike: Check out ADV http://advrider.com/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.thumpertalk.com/index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . They have piles of stuff for your bike. Finding a PDF of your bikes maint manual and getting some basic tools will go a long way. Don't dig in deeper that your ability. I could not put in a piston if I pulled one out. One thing I'd say is important to know is how to change a tube, front or back. Again I'd say that you will get more out of ADV than you will from me. Good luck

HTH,
DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."

survivaljoe

Re: Unofficial ZS War Bike Projects

Post by survivaljoe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:34 am

DK, thanks for the tips. Those websites are good stuff too. Been reading about guerrilla camping.

About the wheelies, I wasn't doing those intentionally. I think I was a little too hard on the throttle, maybe from not riding a 600 before.

Thanks again!
...It's been a while...

bucho

Post by bucho » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:33 am

survivaljoe wrote:I'm still debating if I should mount my rifle scabbard on the back panel or mount another pouch and put the rifle on the fork. Any advice?
Are you talking about carrying a rifle on your bike in some sort of post apocolyptic world? As long as you mount it solidly I don't think it would matter too much. I've seen hard rifle cases mounted sort of up and down behind the right thigh of the rider.

If you aren't talking about some sort of emergency/PAW situation that might not be a good idea. In many places people freak out about guns and call the police. Assuming you are legal the hassle from the police might not be worth the trouble. Not to mention having some criminal low life spot your rifle on your bike. He could hit your back tire causing you to wreck and while you are still a little stunned from the crash come up and beat your head in with a tire iron. Then use your rifle for his own evil purposes. Just something to think about.

bucho

Post by bucho » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:44 am

survivaljoe wrote:Also, I'm pretty new to this big bike. I went from a xr250 to bikeless for about two years, then to this big 600. I'm still getting used to the thottle and the shifting, cuz this buggah can yank! Any driving tips?
I have a habit of down shifting to slow (my previous bike not having rear brakes) should I be doing that?
Also, any general maintenance tips or what not?
Down shifting is fine, just make sure you do know to use your brakes. When on loose surfaces down shifting can help too.

I'm not super knowledgable about Hondas, but I know the XR650R doesn't have much of a rear subframe. If your earlier XR600 is the similar be careful putting too much weight behind the seat and braking something.

Have fun riding. Be careful.

survivaljoe

Post by survivaljoe » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:03 am

Yea that rifle mount on the side is purely for shits and giggles. But a locking hard case is a good idea.

These past couple days I've been practicing around the block, and reading a ton of stuff from those websites DK linked. I also installed a LED tail light because my bike didn't have one. Even at idle that light is very bright.

Any suggestions for a brighter headlamp?

I have a 35W bulb, looking for a brighter, maybe 55W, bulb.

I have some new parts that should be here on Tuesday. Front and rear pads, front and rear sprockets, chain roller, gear shift lever, and a spark plug cost me a cool 100 shipped to Hawaii. Brake pads locally would have set me back 35 dollars a pair.

I'm going to change the rear tire also, something DOT approved so I can get out and ride the back roads a little further. My current rear tire is a very cracked D755, so a couple laps around the block and some low speed start and stops is all I'm doing till its changed.

I know I promised pics, been busy though.
...It's been a while...

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:52 pm

I have a Baja Designs light kit on my XR and have been happy with it. They have great customer service and are helpful on the phone sorting things out and answering questions. There is always the 'fab it yourself' route. You may need a new stater as well http://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/MOT ... KITS/honda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XR's Only has some good products and they do great with CS also. I have one of their bash plates and it has saved my engine more than once.
http://www.xrsonly.com/dirt-bike-parts- ... mit=30&p=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.xrsonly.com/dirt-bike-parts- ... 650l-92-up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something to think about re. the gun case: I have a friend who had a 600R. He took it camping and had a tent strapped to the rack in the rear (think gun case on the side). He said he got a little squirlly going over some whoops and his hand slipped off the clutch. The bike shot out from underneath him and took off. As he came off the back of the bike the tent (tied tight and cross ways) caught him behind the knees and flipped him up in air and backwards. He said he felt like his legs were broke. He is BIG guy and built like a truck. It kicked his ass. He never rode with anything tied down to the back after that. To be fair he is a little wild. People ride everyday with saddle bags (hard and soft) without a problem. Like I said, something to think about.

Tires: I have run Perrelli MT21s for years. They are highway rated and give great traction. They are a little soft so they grab pavement well but you will only get about 1500mi out of a rear. I like them. Maybe Kace can tell you what he is running now. Lord knows I'm not an expert.

DK

survivaljoe

Post by survivaljoe » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:06 am

Got the new parts today and installed them. Gonna take the bike out tomorrow because of the crazy weather today.

I also ordered two new Kenda 760 trailmaster tires. Set me back $102 shipped. I would have bought local but the only tires in the shop were over 140 bucks.

So far I'm in this bike for a little over $200 in parts, and that includes the tires I just ordered. I think that's not bad at all, now I just gotta practice more.
...It's been a while...

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:26 am

survivaljoe wrote:Any suggestions for a brighter headlamp?

I have a 35W bulb, looking for a brighter, maybe 55W, bulb.
From http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/ ... html#SN108:
Standard No. 108 - Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment - Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses, Trailers, (except pole trailers and trailer converter dollies), and Motorcycles (Effective 1-1-68 for vehicles 2,032 mrn (80 or more inches) in width and Effective 1-1-69 for all other vehicles)
This standard specifies requirements for original and replacement lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment. Its purpose is to reduce traffic crashes and deaths and injuries resulting from traffic crashes, by providing adequate illumination of the roadway, and by enhancing the conspicuity of motor vehicles on the public roads so that their presence is perceived and their signals understood, both in daylight and in darkness or other conditions of reduced visibility
Full text of Standard No. 108 is available at http://fmvss108.tripod.com/fmvss108text.htm It can be used to cure insomnia - it's very dry reading and overburdened by technical details. It has to be, though.

Note: Standard No 108 covers all lights for all vehicles, so you will need to do a lot of data sorting.

Once you have deciphered it, go shopping for headlamps that comply and make sure you aim them correctly when you install them. :D

If your bike is strictly off-road, those regs do not apply. I'd suggest something along these lines:

survivaljoe

Post by survivaljoe » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:01 pm

Took my bike out today and in about 5 minutes my crappy back tire went flat. I ran over a nail somewhere, probably leaving my own damn driveway. Then the company I ordered the new tires from called me up to say they charged me the wrong price for shipping. Had to pay an extra 60 bucks. Bastards. That's still saving me beau coup dollars though.
...It's been a while...

bucho

Post by bucho » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:37 am

survivaljoe wrote:Took my bike out today and in about 5 minutes my crappy back tire went flat. I ran over a nail somewhere, probably leaving my own damn driveway. Then the company I ordered the new tires from called me up to say they charged me the wrong price for shipping. Had to pay an extra 60 bucks. Bastards. That's still saving me beau coup dollars though.

Getting a flat always sucks, but at least you can just change out the tube, no need for a new tire.

mega-hertz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, 28 days(the one where Sandra bullock goes to rehab and has to kill her way back to the bar and gets naked a lot when she fights all those zombies)

Post by mega-hertz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:40 pm

bucho wrote:
survivaljoe wrote:Took my bike out today and in about 5 minutes my crappy back tire went flat. I ran over a nail somewhere, probably leaving my own damn driveway. Then the company I ordered the new tires from called me up to say they charged me the wrong price for shipping. Had to pay an extra 60 bucks. Bastards. That's still saving me beau coup dollars though.

Getting a flat always sucks, but at least you can just change out the tube, no need for a new tire.
i ordered tires from bikebandit and got them the next day. i have had good luck with that site for years.
changing flat is some thing every rider should learn to do well, inclueding myself.

good luck
" I'm hiding in Honduras. I'm a desperate man. Send lawyers, guns and money. The $h!t has hit the fan." Warren Zevon......R.I.P.
fart lol!

survivaljoe

Post by survivaljoe » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:59 am

The tires showed up yesterday via USPS and this evening I had some spare time so I changed the rear one. Let me just say that you need one of two things for doing tires, either proper tools or some patience. I had the latter. Took me about an hour and a half using two screw drivers and an old tire iron. I'm definitely investing in some tire spoons as they're called.

Had a chance to ride this evening after all was said and done. Damn it felt good to be on the bike. I'm need an adventure to get this jones out of my system. For now I'll just stick to practicing and short trips til I can handle the 600 better. I find myself having to keep conscious about proper stance on the bike so until I can get that down to second nature I'm gonna stick to the neighborhood back roads.

Edit: here's more pics

...It's been a while...

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:48 pm

I've been having some fun with my DT100.
I got a CL360 for a daily driver, and was going to sell the DT100, but then I got "inspired". That's what I call it. My wife uses other words.
Anyway, here's what it used to look like (sorry for the poor pic, it's the only one I can find):

And here's what it looks like now:

I welded up the handlebars myself, and made the seat and cowl. I need to add some bracing to the fairing, as it's a little warped and also tends to move around. The mounting kit that came with it is crap. Luckily it was cheap.
I've lowered the front end to level out the stance, which has also made the handling more responsive. Also, moving the seating position down and back has made wheelies far more likely. I can hit them in 1st, 2d, and 3rd now, which ain't bad for 100cc.
Soon to come: rear sets, skinny tires, and a tail light.
Eventual plans include a full classic GP fairing, long skinny tank, and legitimate seat pan/cowl.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:41 am

Those are two cool bikes, gentlemen.
On a crappy note I HAVE decided that I will be selling my '04 XR650R and all the goodies I have for it. I'm hoping a local will buy it as you cannot get a street legal XR in CA. Mine came from NV with a plate so it 'slid' in. I HATE getting rid of it but life is moving on and the bike will have to also. Damn. Oh well.

DK

mwestjeeper

Post by mwestjeeper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:32 pm

bucho wrote:
I've had a 2002 since 2004, ridden all over the country. 50mpg, dead reliable, simple, great transpo. Jarheads use a diesel version.

Not much difference between the new generation and the old, other than bodywork and some minor mods. You can pick up a great running example for $2500. Hard to beat.
Former Jarhead, 0331

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:35 pm

jamoni wrote:I've been having some fun with my DT100.
I got a CL360 for a daily driver, and was going to sell the DT100, but then I got "inspired". That's what I call it. My wife uses other words.
Anyway, here's what it used to look like (sorry for the poor pic, it's the only one I can find):

And here's what it looks like now:

I welded up the handlebars myself, and made the seat and cowl. I need to add some bracing to the fairing, as it's a little warped and also tends to move around. The mounting kit that came with it is crap. Luckily it was cheap.
I've lowered the front end to level out the stance, which has also made the handling more responsive. Also, moving the seating position down and back has made wheelies far more likely. I can hit them in 1st, 2d, and 3rd now, which ain't bad for 100cc.
Soon to come: rear sets, skinny tires, and a tail light.
Eventual plans include a full classic GP fairing, long skinny tank, and legitimate seat pan/cowl.
I'm a fan of the enduro/cafe conversion
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

Return to “Transportation”