Unofficial ZS War Bike Projects

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dak Kovar

Unofficial ZS War Bike Projects

Post by Dak Kovar » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:10 pm

Edit: I changed the name of this thread to include ANY motorcycle, scooter or BO Bike project. Please feel to post pictures of your bike mods/loads so we can see, learn and have fun. There is a greater interest in motorcycles due to gas prices. If your bike has an engine, it its a War Bike. Who wants to ride just a motorcycle or scooter. In these changing times transportation is the issue, not what the transpotation is. Dual Sport, Harleys, Street Bikes and Scooters, lets enjoy the title of War Bikes while we can before we have to change it to War Donkey Projects.

First and most important is SAFTEY. Do not go cheap on your safety gear or training. Consider it proactive life insurance.
DK

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is my XR650R, street legal daily rider as I go through the process of adding gear to support long road/off road trips.

I've been talking about it for awhile now. jeepinbandtrider really got me off my ass with the pictures of his kickass KLR. So today I lashed my MSS/shelter roll onto the cargo rack on the back of my bike and I think it will work fine. I added my old Chase/Harper saddle bags I had made for me back in '93 for my now dead GPZ1100. I will be able to lash everything down well enough to keep it in place but I have no idea HOW BAD the added weight will affect handling. I know it will but I need to know by how much before I'll take a load like this for a long run. I'm sure it will not be at normal 'XR speed'. I need to do some adjusting but this is the general idea.

So tonight I'm going to take the MSS for a run for starters. I know the XR was not designed for this but it is a good bike and I'm (mostly) a safe rider. I thought I'd share my pictures.

Wish me luck,
DK
Last edited by Dak Kovar on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:31 pm

Arent you worried about shearing the mounts/cases with a hard case offroad?

Otherwise, cool thread keep us updated.
Kace, the Coyote without a cause.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

When the smoke clear, you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of leviathan
My friend, they call 'em strangers
Everybody talk to him end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange Ways

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:40 pm

The saddle bags are soft, not hard cases. If the bike went down they would more than likely just tear away. Is that what you mean? Good point though. I'll have to give the tear away idea more thought.

If I had a full load (the way I'm currently thinking) I would expect to have to travel below normal offroad speed to keep from thrashing the bike and the kit. I have no idea how this thing would handle on the highway yet.
DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:44 pm

Wasn't I sopoused to get a box with a bike and a stripper in it :?

I have hard racks on the side of mine that I can use to mount boxes to. The plan is to use large ammo cans. But it won't be on while off road but to get to a camp spot. Even then many people crash many times with hard cases on the bikes and they don't shear off. It would depend on the build quality of the cases, the rack, and the mounting hardware.

Bike looks good by the way. Can't wait to see it all tanned or ODed out LOL. I've added a few more things to mine since the paint project.

Did you take it for a ride in the dirt strapped up like that with luggage?

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:38 am

Yes you were SUPPOSED to get a crate with a bike and a stripper. She said that she liked Hondas better. She's now serving me tea as I plot my assent to the Pinnacle of Coolness. Sorry old chap.

Man that turned out nice. I’m real impressed, really nice. Can you tote the rifle with you on it? I know you could/would just sling it if needed but I mean when you go camping. We do that out here, bring guns that is. I have an AK for that.

No I haven’t taken it out yet. I have to be careful how much I load and how I load it. There is not much to tie things down on. It is a full on dirt bike with a light package, huge jets and a pipe. The frame is minimal for weight and aluminum. I don’t want something to go poing in my haste for ‘The Pursuit’.

In the past I have worn a loaded (food, water, stuff) E. German paratrooper vest with my day pack and my snivel gear loaded on the rear rack. It rode fine. The MSS/shelter roll is a new thing and I want to shake it down first before adding the saddle bags. The saddle bags need a little work. I am going to add a riveted heat shield above the pipe and some tie downs to secure the load. One that’s done I’ll start with small light loads and increase that each time I take it out until I’m satisfied with the weight/gear/stupidity formula. I think it will work fine if I adjust my riding style to account for it. Slower in the turns, no jumps, easy on wash board. I’ll be able to carry 2-4 more gallons of fuel in the saddle bags if needed but that would be RARE for me to do. Still I like the capability.

Paint: I am going to be so busy this season with the projects I am doing and have planned. I will have to wait till the snows come back this year before I’d tear it down and I’m getting it ready for my daily rider.

Thanks for the inspiration,
DK

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:26 am

I don't have a way to carry it on the bike right now. As of now I am simply slinging it if I want to go to the range. Not something I like to do as the crash risk if I have it on is pretty high.

Good to know I'm inspiration for someone. Makes me feel like I didn't totally screw up my bike LOL. 8) \

This is what I looked like for my trip up to Morehead City for the ADVRIDER.com dinner.

That's my maxpedition Condor II pack on the right rack with my ranger roll wraped around it. On the left is my Tent that didn't get used. THere was enough of a weight bias towards the pack that I could feel it when flicking though turns. It was unsettling to say the least. Once I get my cans mounted up I should be able to distribute my load better. I never felt like anything was going to go "Proing" tough. LOL. I still need to install my subframe upgrade kit though. I'm going to do that before I mount the cans.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:49 am

Good idea on the upgrade on the cans and that damn vest. I keep meaning to get one for me and my brother.

Nice picures.

SamuraiBobX26
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Evil Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Dead Alive

Post by SamuraiBobX26 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:57 am

jeepinbandtrider thanks for updateing us on your project.

Dak Kovar I can't wait to see who your will turn out.

Both are great projects.
A Sword may be sharp, but a keen mind is sharper.

Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:06 am

Like I said, I most likely won't paint mine until the fall if at all at this point. I just really want to get my gear load sorted out because I want to do a run from Reno to Vegas through the desert except for fuel stops. That and local overnighters. I'll post pics of my progress and the gear load out.
(Yeah it's fun)
DK

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:35 pm

Update:

I took the bike out with the MSS/Shelter roll on the back. It rode fine and I found myself forgetting it was there. I did adjust it a bit but it stayed rock solid over hill and dale. I did some sand and washes, whoop and wash board and some city riding. No problems at all.

Next will be to load my vest up to the hilt and then try the whole thing again.
This thing will hold quite a lot in it. Water, food, FAK, Coleman gas field stove and other E&E stuff. I'll post agian when I get that done.
DK

cauldron

Post by cauldron » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:33 pm

Nice bike. Everyone I know with a xr Honda loves them.

As far as the load, is there a subframe holding up the back fender or is it just plastic?

I would want the load lower on the bike and in front of the back axle. The handling will be better. The big problem is keeping the muffler from catching the luggage on fire! So I can see why it's where it is...

As far as your vest, I have to add that I am not a fan of carring hard objects on my person on a bike. Having a camp stove removed by a paramedic makes for a good story, but. :wink:

Have you thought about tank panniers? They are small saddle bags that go on the gastank. I like using them. They keep the wind off your legs if it's cold, and the weight is in a good spot.

Trying out different luggage looks like a good enough reason to go for a ride though!
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:43 pm

Wow man! That looks awesome! When we were talking about it yesterday I couldn't grasp totally what you were talking about but once I saw the pictures I knew exactly what you were talking about and was like "DAMN". It looks like it would ride really nice as the weight seems to even in both saddle bags. Can't wait to hear more about the vest as well. Keep it up man!
ImageImage

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:10 am

Cauldron: First, welcome aboard. Yeah, when I was a kid I had wanted the Monster Dirtbike. Well I got it now for sure. That thing is pure power and would kill me in a heart beat if I tried to be Mouse McCoy http://movies.ign.com/articles/598/598693p1.html. (TFB watch the movie, hint)

It feels like riding a 650cc bicycle. You can really throw it around.

I am going to pop rivet a heat shield on the bottom of the one bag and that should be that. You are right of course that lower is better but as there to other way to do it I’ll have to make due. When that pipe is heated up it will melt your boots and the side panels so hanging the bags lower won’t work. Neither will panniers as there is nothing to mount them to. The frame ends way up front compared to a KLR. The tank pannier ideas sounds interesting, I will be exploring that.

Falling on hard things on or off road is not a good idea. Setting one’s self up to do that is not a very good idea and I recommend against that so don’t try this at home. That said, I want to work out the gear list and load plan to be able to go out for up to a week in everything but 8” snow and ice. Why? Because it’s fun and I can. I am a very careful rider and when I test the loaded vest I will be double so. I have used the vest in the past and it worked great and I used soda bottles instead of canteens and didn’t carry the stove. If the saddle bags work out all heavy/hard items would go in them and the soft stuff into the vest. I started working on the vest, repacking it last night. FAK was first. I’ll be posting in the Med Forum for suggestions. It is just a light abrasion/sprain type FAK. My personal FAK stays in my walk out bag which will be going as well.

TFB, the trick to these saddle bags is balance and lashing it securely to the bike (somehow). They will carry a heavy load without failing and I used them A LOT on my old GPZ. I love them and I’m so glad I never got rid of them. In a pinch I can wear them like a sandwich board easily. In fact, I used to carry them that way out the bike to load it. As for the vest I will do a thread on it when I finish sorting it out. I take pictures and do the write ups for my boys and then post to ZS. It was GREAT talking to you, as always. BTW-keep an eye on the OT section, something wild happened today.
DK

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:50 am

When I saw this, I thought it was a post about the SpecOps' diesel Moto'...
Read in a magazine that the manufactureres are supposed to making some for the public soon.

Sorry for the off-track comment.

Love the bikes, you two.

-fenris-

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:54 am

Fenris wrote:When I saw this, I thought it was a post about the SpecOps' diesel Moto'...
Read in a magazine that the manufactureres are supposed to making some for the public soon.

Sorry for the off-track comment.

Love the bikes, you two.

-fenris-
I believe you are refering to the Diesel KLR that is mauf. by Hayes Diversified Technology. They have been saying for years they are going to be bringing a Civie version to the Market but I wouldn't hold your breath. Demand for the small company to build bikes for the Marine Corps and the other branches is pretty much preventing that.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:21 am

No worries Fenris as long as you don't want to tell me why AK's suck. :)

I know I asked you this before but what kind of milage you get on the KLR? I get about 23-25 using my reserve. About 150miles with a 4.8 cal tank.

Do you have any experience with a tank pannier? I had a tank bag with my GPZ back in the day but I could not find a way to secure it to the XR tank.

I wonder what the chance of buying one of those Marine bikes surplus. It looked like it could be done. Might be worth looking into, but damn I like my XR. Though the Marine bike would really be the way to go, that or whore yourself out to get enough mony for a Dakar.
DK

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:55 am

I've heard of the odd one slipping though but the chances of finding a surplus MILMO is slim to none. The ones that wear out get sent to Hayes for rework and the ones that are deemed to be worn beyond repair aren't worth getting as I would assume that parts are next to impossible to get and if it isn't worth it for the Mil. to fix it's probably not worth it for you or me to fix.

I get High 40s MPG out of my KLR. Over 200 miles per tankful before reserve. Winter time sees less fuel econ. as the bike runs pretty cold I need to do the t-bob mod on it. Summer time can see right at or right over 50MPG depending on how heavy my right hand is.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:17 am

Crap! That's awsome. I hate you.

Tank panniers?

cauldron

Post by cauldron » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:23 am

Dak Kovar wrote:Cauldron: First, welcome aboard. Yeah, when I was a kid I had wanted the Monster Dirtbike. Well I got it now for sure. That thing is pure power and would kill me in a heart beat if I tried to be Mouse McCoy http://movies.ign.com/articles/598/598693p1.html. (TFB watch the movie, hint)

It feels like riding a 650cc bicycle. You can really throw it around.
Thanks. I like it here!

I know who Mouse is. :bow: Dust to Glory is a great movie btw.

I have a KLR and it throws me around. :lol:

If I had to do it all over again, I would go for the honda for sure. My KLR gets close to 50 mpg depending on how you ride it. My little 250 gets almost 60 and the load rating is within 50 pounds or so of the 650. It's also a kick start and easier offroad, so it would be my first choice for a BOV.

Do you have any plans for extra lights? Machine guns? What's next?
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:04 am

The marine's bike gets 100mpg, diesel...

Personally I'd get hard-panniers, but that's just my opinion, since you can bind 2gallon tanks onto them...

-fenris-

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:10 am

Fenris there is know way to mount the pannier frame on the XR. There is no frame to mount it to. They are a no go. That's why I'm doing what I am.

Cauldron: My brother fab'd a head light using an old KZ light with bright bulbs for his XR600R. It will burn your coat if you stand too close. He is going to build one for me. Guns? Just the AK or AR but I could bring more I guess. I am going to put on a hard skid plate and a few other goodies like a new stator.

Honestly guys, as much as I love my bike, jeepinbandtrider's bike is a much better bike for this kind of Bug out stuff. Better mileage by far, frames to work with to mount stuff etc. I'm working with what I got.

As for fuel there are a few options, 2x 1or2gal cans in the saddle bags, bigger tank up to 7gal, 3.5gal ATV fuel thingies. So if I had the kind of mileage that JBR gets plus those options you could get a long way.

I bought my XR from a good friend. He needed to sell it to finance an operation on his back. His wife had bought it for him new and said, "Have you seen Dust to Glory? Yes? I want that bike for my husband" They did the deal. It is race ready except for the super light package and a couple of other details like air filters. He cried when he delivered it to me.

It's nice to share the interest in bikes with you guys. I'm tired of the firearms forum.

JBR I told a friend about you slinging your AR to the range with your bike. He said, WTF? I said yup. He thought that was way cool.
DK
Edit for spelling.
Last edited by Dak Kovar on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:30 am

LOL. I don't have tank panniers though they do make them for the KLR.

The crash bars I have on the front can mount bags to them. The company that sells the crash bars sells the bags that strap to them. About the same cost as tank paniers.

Have you ever checked out www.advrider.com ?

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:53 pm

In my favorites now. Thanks.

I am going to try something today and I'll take pics.

You can load the hell out of a KLR. OMG I had no idea. Very nice. Are you making any progress with the 20mm cans? They seem a little heavy purpose. Bomb proof though. BTW-I am impressed everytime I see pictrues of your bike. To bad Trixie likes Hondas better.

I said I was going to load test the vest next. I am going to load test the MSS/Shelter bag with my snivel gear loaded as well, instead. I have a GI Gortex Jacket and a insulated Bib and Gor-Tex gloves. Ideas behind this is: Leave when weather is crappy and now it's nice-where to I put my gear? Picks will be coming.
Dk

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:34 pm

I haven't started to work on them yet. I'm going to start work on them this weekend.

They weigh aboot 15 lbs per can empty. It's a lot but the cans are free. I was going to do Pelican cases (still may) but they only save 10 lbs total when empty and they will run me almost 200 bucks for the set.

Return to “Transportation”