Your thoughts: Motorcycle scenario

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SilentEagle

Your thoughts: Motorcycle scenario

Post by SilentEagle » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:36 pm

im thinking of purchasing a motorcycle in the near future and was wondering what everyone thought about this scenario i have been contemplating:

Would you use a motorcycle as your primary vehicle when the SHTF if it was necessary for you to have something that was quick and fast, although less safe. Lets say your at home and you see on here that the SHTF and you need to bug out. You can take your BOB on your motorcycle but you do not know what the conditions on your route to your BOL. Do you take the chance of being able to break through with speed? OR do you go for protection and take your car instead? This obviously assumes that you have a bike and a car. And I'm not talking about a bike like a harley but something much quieter, about as loud as a car would be.

your thoughts?

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:04 pm

I have a big 4x4 pickup and no motorcycle. Although, I'd take my truck AND motorcycle. Run the 4x4 as long as I can and if it gets stuck, broke down or otherwise unuseable, then break out the motorcycle.
Depends on your car, motorcycle, BOL route, where you're leaving from, how far it is... a lot of things to consider.
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010

doc66

Post by doc66 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:55 pm

I own several motorcycles... I'd only consider one of them as a BOV. My 1982 Honda Ascot, a single cylinder 500 that goes and goes. If I were going to look at a BOV MC, I'd have to consider a big single such as a Kaw KLR or maybe, depending on the terrain I was going to use it most on, a 250 dual sport, easier to throw around on trails and such.

While I have been to-- 12 states-- on my Triumph Daytona, and 3 on my Aprilia Falco, I wouldn't ride either as a BOV. They are too single purpose (go faster and faster and fasterer) for a ride through grass, up onto pavement, over curbs and such that you'd need to do on a BOV. My Ascot is the closest thing I have for that. And I wouldn't jump too many curbs on it.

I know several owners of the BMW GS series that swear by those things. I'd look for an older one, an air head, if I were going to get a GS, less maintance. Of course the new 650 GS looks pretty nice... lighter and less width to worry about.

BTW, Harley's are only loud because of the pipes the owners put on them after market. Harleys from the factory are rather quiet. I rode one for a week and was surprised that I actually liked it, I just ground the pegs off in the turns is all. Twisted one all the way around. They're not very fast either.

I'd get a bike just because I get 42 mpg on my Triumph, about 35 on the Aprilia, and the Honda gets around 55 mpg. I have an Aprilia scooter that gets 65 mpg. Respectable mileage for the scoots. The Triumph really jumped when I put a high side D&D pipe on it and had it remapped. It went from 35 mpg to 40+, depending on how hard I ride it. The Aprilia's next, maybe Leo Vince pipes... we'll see.

Anyway, decide what you want to do with the bike, and go from there. You know how to ride?

Doc
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SilentEagle

Post by SilentEagle » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:12 pm

i used to know how but am gonna take a motorcycle saftey class that eaches you how to ride and you need to take it to get a motorcycle license anyway. my dad owned a motocycle for some years and he would let me ride it occaisionally (shhh...dont tell anybody :twisted: )

but my plan to get a bike isn't something that is going to happen in the very near future, but probably in the next 2 years or so. i just wanted to get other people's opinions on my little scenario.

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:16 pm

For me enduro only for a Motorcycle BOV. Great on the street and good enough on the trail to get to a secluded spot.

I've got two bikes at home an 04 SV650 that is the wife's bike and my 00 Bandit 1200S

I would take the SV if for some reason my wife and kid weren't here (they go home to Texas to visit the parents all the time). Its light enough I can pick it up in a hurry if for some reason I have a minor spill and its small enough and quick enough to fit though very tight spaces and get me out of dodge in a hurry. Not to mention becuase of its weight I wouldn't be afraid to use it as an adhoc enduro bike.

SilentEagle

Post by SilentEagle » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:19 pm

heh, the SV650 was the bike I was looking at getting! now you may have just reinforced that decision...

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:21 pm

Got the .45 on my thigh the SKS strapped across the bars and I'll cut the barrel and stock off the shotgun and strap it across my back. I'll look like a Road Warrior reject. :lol:

Tireur

Post by Tireur » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:29 pm

If you're talking a Katrina-PAW scenario I'd take my bike no question. If you are simply trying to get from Point A - BOL Point B the less time on the road, the better. And nuthin' says traffic lubb'n than two wheeled transportation. 100mph power wheelies are just gravy.

Meet my mid-life crisis, '96 YZF 1000, Da Yamahammer :twisted:

Hey Jeep, how do you like the 1200 Bandit? I almost picked one of those up, but, y'know, it's a Suzuki. Ther ergos on the Bandit felt abit easier on my old and fat frame, but I can go an hour on the Yamaha, and Suzuki's always felt abit cheap to me. Yamaha's for me always feel solid and last forever.
I did not slap you in the face, I high fived your head and your hands did not get in the way.
Epicest th'd evah http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 29&t=29034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:39 pm

Last time I had it dynoed it dynoed in at 113 hp and 78 ft lbs of torque. 80 percent of that torque was produced at 3000 rpm. I love it an hr at a time is no sweat. I rode it from Mineral Wells, TX. (my home) to New River in 1 day. 1300 miles non stop. Never even felt my back cramp up once. And I ran upwards of 90mph most of the time. you can't go wrong with the engine in the Bandit, its based on the GSXR1100 motor in the 1st gen GSXRs and is bulletproof. There are guys on a bandit board I frequent that have over 100k confirmed miles and at least one that has over 200k miles on his with nothing more than routine oil changes and countless sets of tires and chains. Just went over 35,000 miles on mine.

Those pic were taken during a ride up into the smokey moutains over a long weekend.

Tireur

Post by Tireur » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:34 pm

Yeah the nice thing about air & oil Suzuki's is that you can do minor engine work like valve adjustments yourself. I don't know if I'll ever buy a fuel injected bike, half the fun is spending a few hours on a summer Sunday wrenching. Haven't dynoed or taken mine to the strip, but stock with a Stage I jet it has to be making atleast 135hp at the wheel.

And by cheap, I mean sorta like the differance between a Honda and a Toyota. Just the plastic and switch gear doesn't feel right on Suzuki's. Not that I've been riding Yamaha's since I've been sixteen and I'm biased or anything :D

And bikes really are the best way to cut through clogged traffic. Buying a bike again this year after taking a few years break cut my rush hour commute time in half.

We used to muck around a lot with cheap bikes when I was in high school. Buddy came up with the ultimate lightweight bodge job when he stuffed a 600cc KTM single into a Ninja 250 frame. Stripped it down, used truck marker lights for turn signals, weighed maybe 300lbs.
I did not slap you in the face, I high fived your head and your hands did not get in the way.
Epicest th'd evah http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 29&t=29034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:45 pm

Torque is the name of the game on the street man. I would take a 10-15 hp hit for more wheelie inducing torque. 8)

doc66

Post by doc66 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:23 pm

I Loved My Bandit. I rejetted it, put a Yosh pipe on it and it SCREAMED!

It was the bike I nearly died on when the Caddie tried to kill me.

But now, well, it's just not the handler that my Aprilia is, or my Daytona for that matter. If you want a UJM, it's a great ride. The SV650 is tits as well, a buddy of mine had one and I almost bought it off him as a keep around the house bike. The SV650 is what the Honda Hawk wanted to be.

Doc

clybourn

Post by clybourn » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:07 pm

I have a KLR650 which I consider a backup BOV to my Tacoma 4x4. I would consider a motorcycle as a first choice only if I had a fully stocked secondary location already in place which I don't(but working on).

The KLR is great and it's cheap. I would also like a Vstrom for a similar purpose. The BMW's are fine but very pricey.

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:35 pm

clybourn wrote:I have a KLR650 which I consider a backup BOV to my Tacoma 4x4. I would consider a motorcycle as a first choice only if I had a fully stocked secondary location already in place which I don't(but working on).

The KLR is great and it's cheap. I would also like a Vstrom for a similar purpose. The BMW's are fine but very pricey.
Agreed. of course you could take the KLR and thow it in the back of the Taco and use that when you run out of fuel for the truck or get to a spot where it is impossible to get though with a cage.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:10 pm

jeepinbandtrider wrote:
clybourn wrote:I have a KLR650 which I consider a backup BOV to my Tacoma 4x4. I would consider a motorcycle as a first choice only if I had a fully stocked secondary location already in place which I don't(but working on).

Agreed. of course you could take the KLR and thow it in the back of the Taco and use that when you run out of fuel for the truck or get to a spot where it is impossible to get though with a cage.
I don't know that the Vstrom is the bike for a BOV... in reality, that bike is pretty top heavy and it doesn't have the travel in the forks that a dual purpose bike has like the BMW or the KLR. Much like the Triumph Tiger, it started out as that idea and the designers got away from the tour dual purpose they started out with. Besides, the Beemer has such a good reputation, and the air heads can be bought pretty reasonably if you look.

Doc

mega-hertz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, 28 days(the one where Sandra bullock goes to rehab and has to kill her way back to the bar and gets naked a lot when she fights all those zombies)

Post by mega-hertz » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:06 am

the only bike that would work-out long term when TSHTF is the suzuki v-storm 1000.
" I'm hiding in Honduras. I'm a desperate man. Send lawyers, guns and money. The $h!t has hit the fan." Warren Zevon......R.I.P.
fart lol!

doc66

Post by doc66 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:10 am

mega-hertz wrote:the only bike that would work-out long term when TSHTF is the suzuki v-storm 1000.
Is that an opinion based on personal bias? :wink:

Besides, the V is not rated for off road travel, just dirt roads. The BMW can be taken, well, anywhere. Dakar for instance.

Doc

Tireur

Post by Tireur » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:21 am

doc66 wrote:
mega-hertz wrote:the only bike that would work-out long term when TSHTF is the suzuki v-storm 1000.
Is that an opinion based on personal bias? :wink:

Besides, the V is not rated for off road travel, just dirt roads. The BMW can be taken, well, anywhere. Dakar for instance.

Doc
Y'know I was wondering that, how many people are realistically thinking of seriously travelling off-road to their BOL? There are roads everywhere, so unless you have a cabin at the end of some jeep trail in the hills what is the up side to having a dual purpose bike? Small tank, crappy mileage, slow, and tires that aren't great on dirt or pavement. Much better off with a regular road bike.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:55 am

Very true this, I think that most of the travel would be on road, or mostly on road. The few times you'd go off road would be to get around something. I know I've gone through muddy grassy areas on my sport bikes and while they slipped and slid, and got dirty :o they made it. Barely in one case. Anyway, I had a buddy who had a Suzuki DR and said that it was a pain in the ass-- the tires weren't really good for road travel and off road they sucked as well. He ended up runing a street tire up front and a semi dirt in back, which helped on the road, but still had trouble with turns when he did go off road. He sold it for a Honda CB550 then a Magna, and is now in the market for a FJR1300.

Most of the serious on road-off roaders I know put up with the tires as is. I have another buddy who has a FrankenBike. It's an old Yamaha-something that he's put a big plastic tank on that he got at a swap meet. The tank holds five gallons, and with all the nylon gear he attaches to the rack he bolted on it, he can get a lot of junk on board. Anyway, I keep saying a BMW air head because there's less maintainence than a oil head, and the reputation is iron clad, if you're serious about a dual purpose bike, this one was made just for that. Old ones go for a price, but like Harleys (God knows why they do) a BMW will hold its value for years, many more years than a Harley.

Like I said before, my BOV-bike would be my Honda Ascot. Light, easy to maintain, and pleanty of oomph to get there. My only concern with the Ascot is 1) the starters are hinky and require a rebuild more often than others 2) the front forks are a bit narrow to be punishing them on curbs should I have to jump them. 3) the head leaks. No way around that one.

I have the factory rack for it, both grab handles (a factory rarity) and plenty of tank bags, tail packs et al that I can get places on it. With the progressive shocks on all four corners, it handles nicely.

Doc

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:28 am

The KLR one of the guys I ride with has gets well over 50MPG I don't see how you can consider that bad mileage. The DL650 (v-strom) gets at least 50 in most conditions (same motor as the SV just slightly diffrent cams). Even the KLR is plently quick enough for most situations unless you are running from guys in sports cars. Not to mention these bikes are normally way tougher than your average sportbike or cruiser when you are talking about going through ditches and jumping curbs to get around accidnets and stuff.

Yes my BOL would be in a spot where you would have to traverse at least semi-rough terrain to get to it. I don't want it to be real easy to get to (I.E. a paved drive right up to it) Hell I would prefer it be in a remote location with ZERO road access.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:39 am

If you cant get away from zombies, or even humans on foot, using a motorcycle then your an idiot.

If there is a hoard of zombies blocking your way, go around a few blocks. Use a railway bridge, whatever. On a motocycle your so much faster and more manuverable than a zombie, your only going tog et caught if you drive in the middle of the hoard, or if you fall asleep and let them suround you.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

justin

Post by justin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:15 pm

a Suzuki Savage, i had one and i couldn't kill it, my brother has it now and he hasn't killed it...they're tough. i would have no problem with having one in the paw. sure some bikes are faster and some get better gas mileage but i'm quite the fan of reliability...plus it's a great starter bike.
the world sucks, but if the world didn't suck we'd all fall off...

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:35 pm

Soon, I'll be the proud owner of a Dnepr MT-9 soviet military motorcyle. I decided on this vehicel because I know I can repair it, it's fat and fuel efficient, and it has an optional sidecar in greatly increase carrying capacity. It also has all the advantages of any other motorcycle.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:29 pm

Kalashnikov wrote:Soon, I'll be the proud owner of a Dnepr MT-9 soviet military motorcyle. I decided on this vehicel because I know I can repair it, it's fat and fuel efficient, and it has an optional sidecar in greatly increase carrying capacity. It also has all the advantages of any other motorcycle.
Formerly the Ural, or different company? Looks the same, uses the BMW R71-alike engine. Bullet proof ride, I'm told. Are you getting the wheel driven side car rig? There's a learning curve on that, they don't ride like a motorcycle.

Doc

Return to “Transportation”