My BOV progress.

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Hawk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Strippers.

My BOV progress.

Post by Hawk » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:17 pm

I just got a new Rubicon Express 4.5 inch lift system for the 99 Cherokee I've got, comes with new control arms, brake hoses, and all that other good stuff, I ordered a slip yoke eliminator for the transfer case too, it'll get rid of some of my driveline vibrations. Here it is sitting at about 3 inches, rubicon express kits usually ride higher than advertised, so it'll probably be 2 inches taller than this plus added tire height. (and yes, my underside is skidplated)
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/ ... ephill.jpg
Here's the '76 CJ7 I mentioned in my introduction when I signed up. Since that date I've gotten the frame cleaned off, since I wasn't using anything on it, and I also got a ford 9 inch rear, a dana 44 front (this one came with chromoly shafts, a locker, and 4.88's!), I found a T176 4 speed tranny, and I bought a chevy 350 for $75, and after taking it apart, we found out it had just been machined, but the moron that put it back together didn't put good bearings in it, so there were three crankshaft bearings spun, hoot!
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/ ... C02000.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/ ... C02001.jpg
And here's the tub I drove 5 hours to pick up last weekend, I had a tandem axle trailer, and one of the rear tires blew out about an hour before we got there, and at the time, I didn't even realize it was a blown tire, after the tread was all gone, it actually rode about the same as it did with it, didn't tear anything up besides the light it whipped when it blew.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/ ... C01999.jpg I'm also waiting on a reply from my sticker guy so I can get my fleet number posted on the XJ. Otherwise there's no real reason for this post, just letting you all know what I'm up to. :mrgreen:
I linked to the pics so if you don't want to look at them, you don't have to wait for them to load.
I'd like to mention that my mother is, in fact, a saint. A very caring person, she was cursed with the gift of good looks, and then came the internet.

<19:15>[BeerandGun]: no guys, no glory

I helped warm manbath at ZCon '08!
I got new tan lines at ZCon '09
ZCon '010 was a humidor

cougar

Post by cougar » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:57 pm

SWEEEET pics my friend. The cherokee lifted looks awesome. Keep us updated on the progress. I hope to start a Bronco or F-150 project like that next year.
If I lite a cigarette, will you go away?

R.I.P HK33k

Hawk

thanks man...

Post by Hawk » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:10 pm

I appreciate it. I really love my (wifes) cherokee, it's going to look so good up a little higher, but it would be so much better if I had the extra cash to get the bumpers I want.
I will definitely keep you updated on everything, once it gets moving again, as of now, the projects are just waiting for me to catch up financially. My wife even used her newest talents and made up some sticker designs, so I'm looking forward to getting these made too, just not this freakin huge...
I'd like to mention that my mother is, in fact, a saint. A very caring person, she was cursed with the gift of good looks, and then came the internet.

ZCon '010 was a humidor

Doctor_Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Doctor_Zombie » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:49 pm

Hawk - Nice!

I'm a life long Jeepaholic myself (I've never owned anything else since turning 16; I've had - - 1 Full size 1979 Cherokee Chief, 1 1978 CJ7, 1 1988 YJ, 3 1995 YJ's, a 1995 Grand Cherokee, a 2000 XJ Sport, and the current - a 2002 TJ named The Blue Zombie!).

Like Zombies, they're a love affair - but I'm sure you understand that!

BTW - LOVE the sticker! I'd be willing to kick a few bucks towards you if you had some made up!

Dr. Z..
Doctor_Zombie was formerly Doctor Z.! I fracking changed it.

BUY MY BOOKS! NOW AVAILABLE ON KINDLE!
Read my blog!!
GunDown wrote: BRUCE CAMPBELL IS A GOD.... HE IS THE ONE TRUE LORD OF FILM. HIS HOLY TRINITY RULES ABOVE US ALL! AS RAMI STANDS TO HIS RIGHT AND ROMERO TO HIS LEFT HIS WILL IS INFORCED BY THE ANGEL OF VENGENCE KEVIN MOTHERFUCKING SMITH!

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:24 pm

that's awesome man, I'm only in single digits as far as jeeps, the blue 99 XJ was our first, then I got an 89 XJ for $300, traded it for an 81 CJ7 and $300 :lol: , then bought the 76 CJ7 pictured above for $400 (it came with way more than what's pictured, I've almost made that $400 back in selling parts I won't be using)

I will definitely be ordering these in stickers soon, they'll probably only be 3.5 inches, or close, I think that'd be perfect. I'll post up a thread or two when I get them all done up so I can mail them out, I can't imagine them being more than $2 each to make, but I won't get my hopes up.

ZCon '010 was a humidor

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:12 pm

Heres my BOV:

3" F-150coil/ Dakota leaf lift
Rancho shocks up front stockers in the rear
Some generic mudders
Enough tools to rebuild the truck on the trial
and usuall stocked stuff I take when I go wheelin and keep close at hand when I'm at home.

I could be loaded up and rolling out of the immediate area within' a half hr. and be on the way to a secluded location.

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:26 pm

that's nice, I like the sliders, after I get my suspension all dialed in that's the next thing I need, then bumpers if I can find a deal. I've only been trailriding once, up at rockport, so I don't have my tool-bags packed, but I've got a couple bags, one for each jeep, that I'm going to start buying tools for so I have a complete set in each without having to pull anything out of my Craftsman at home.
Where was that pic taken at?

ZCon '010 was a humidor

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:37 pm

I don't keep the tools in the Jeep when I'm at home I only throw them in there when I go wheelin'. If for some I had to go do something that I couldn't fit or do on my motorcycle I drive the Jeep and having a few hundred pounds of tools spares and gear in the back really hurts performance and MPG.

That pic was take at the Uwharrie National Forrest just outside of Troy, NC.

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:59 pm

looks like fun, man.
I've got a buddy with a 93 that used to keep EVERYTHING in the back of his jeep, it was like a mobile workstation, but he had to get an inch higher lift for the back just to bring it up to level cause of the wieght. (He cut the back half of the top off and doesn't leave it full anymore...)

ZCon '010 was a humidor

Freak

Post by Freak » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:55 pm

keeping tools in trucks suck also, Id like to put togather a mobil tool bag sence all my crafsmen got rused sitting in the back of my old pickup :P and now that they are in the trunk of my caddy the air ride suspension has a hard time keeping up with the weight...

Now, to knock things way off topic, whats a general tool grab bag for you guys contain? Yes I know Im not a jeep guy but right now my load out consist of a full chest (2 sets of end wrenches, and full load out of sockets for 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive rachets plus a box of what ever cutters and pliers one might need, even a steering wheel puller someware in that thing, but then thats also because I dont always know what I will be working on some times, even have an additinal 3/4 drive rachet set and some extra braker bars, thing brings my load out to almost 200 lbs, and its not even including a jack. This can even be added to when we work on my friends car at the drag strip... Too much stuff if you ask me, and I dont have a small jack, right now I am working on gitting an extended cab pickup but I would rather have my sterio in thare than tools.

In short... What makes a good grab bag? or should I just get a truck tool box?
I will ask your advice... Ill even take it into careful consideration... but as we all know, in the end I will go my own stubborn way.

Sorry, being a smartass is my nature...
The Ghoul wrote: Oh, god. I can smell the Chuck Norris jokes coming.....

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:18 pm

At least a full set of metric/standard wrenches (a lot of the domestic manufactures are going to metric hardware now). Full set of metric and standard sockets and diffrent size drive ratchets. Torque wrenches both inch and ft lbs. Minimum

A box full of fluids (motor oil, gear oil, ps fluid, auto tranny fluid, sealants, jb weld ect). I can punch a hole in a sump (oil, tranny, diffs, t case) and patch them back up with a combo of jbweld RTV sealant and duct tape and refill them and they will hold good enough to get to where you are going or till you can aquire an abondoned vehicle.

Got another box that I keep sleeping gear in. Sleeping bags for me and the wife and spare clothes.

Another box that has spares such as tie-rod ends u-joints , ect, ect.

Cooler with food and we usually just get water straight from the cooler as the ice melts (though I also keep a gallon of water per person in the cooler also it dosen't take that much space up. Just make sure any sandwich meats you have in there are well sealed.

Also have a Hi-Lift jack (a must have for any off road situation) and a full size spare that goes on the roof when all this stuff is in the Jeep.

I've also got a few ammo cans with misc electrial stuff in them. (such as multi-meter, spare wire, fuses, ect, ect.)

Big ass flood light that plugs into the cigarette lighter that you could signal the space shuttle with.

There's more stuff i just can't think of it all. :lol:

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:44 pm

I second everything he said. No matter what you bring along you can never really be over prepared, the basic hand tools and such are a necessity, and some oddball stuff like c-clamps, c-clip pliers, and torx bits make things a little easier. It's really hard to find a line between well prepared and grossly overwieght, but if we're talking about going to the trail, you could always pack a full truck of tools and trailer your trail rig to the site. so you don't have to have all the stuff on you.
As for getting a truck box, no matter what size you get, chances are, you won't stop throwing tools in it until it's full, so get the biggest one you think your truck can carry, full of tools, and remember, tools are freakin heavy.

ZCon '010 was a humidor

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:50 pm

Trailering isn't an option for me. It all has to fit in the back of the XJ. Trailering a full size road worthy vehicle to a trail seems kinda pointless. If I had to trailer I would trailer ATVs or Dirt Bikes to the trail head and not even have a Jeep.

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:18 pm

I understand that, but with my lack of trail experience, I often fear breaking something I cannot fix in the field, and would feel safer with a trailer to get my busted ass home. When the CJ gets done, it'll probably be a trailer queen for the simple fact that the closest trail around here is 2 hrs away, my dad is building a 383 stroker for it, it would cost me less in gas to just pull it up there with my truck, than to drive it.

ZCon '010 was a humidor

Return to “Transportation”