Dash Cams

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

aikorob

Dash Cams

Post by aikorob » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Everybody gets a laugh out of the "crazy Russian Roads" videos online-----but they do show the advantages of having a dash cam. After getting caught up in an accident back in June, I am going to add one to the truck. The police wrote it up totally wrong---they had it as a 10 vehicle chain reaction rear ending; when I was 3 lanes over. Luckily, I took photos of the damage---they didn't even do that.

Anybody have a dash cam ? There are hundreds on ebay, but it is hard to figure out the best value and features.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Stercutus

Re: Dash Cams

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:43 pm

Kind of depends upon what you want it to do. Do you want it running all the time, on impact, etc? Do you want it to sync to a back up camera? GPS? Entertainment System? Cell service? Vehicle computer? There are tons of options out there.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:59 pm

I currently own two dash cams, neither of which have actually been installed in a vehicle, and probably won't be. Years ago I had a nice app on my Motorola smartphone that made it work as a really excellent dashcam while recharging in its dash mount. It recorded in full HD, with sound, included GPS data (including speed), recorded in 3-minute loops and overwrote the apportioned memory you allowed it to use as needed, auto-saved crash data and the preceding loop of video before the impact, and auto-uploaded it all to a cloud server after a crash so that the data couldn't be erased by anyone but the camera owner. (It also emailed me a copy)

Unfortunately, the author got greedy and the subscription for it got too costly so I dropped it. If I can ever find an actual dashcam that can do all that at a cost I can afford I'll buy it and have it installed but Until then I'm not finding any worth putting in the effort to install. (Both the ones I have were gifts and lack a lot of important features)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:01 pm

It also ticks me off a little that with two cameras and a LIDAR unit factory equipment on my Jeep they didn't think to make one of the cameras (the one that follows lane markings) double as a dashcam viewable from the screens in the vehicle with data able to be saved to USB.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:22 pm

I have the Anker Roav C1 dashcam in all my cars. After one proved its usefulness in an accident proving I was not at fault, I got one for every other car.

It's like insurance: set it and forget it.

aikorob

Post by aikorob » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:34 pm

dual channel would be nice; but some of the rear view options seem kind of cheesy on the mounts
with some kind of GPS stamp
I will hardwire it in
Best resolution .......at least 1080
no infotainment in truck

I cross posted in Off Topic; and Ani answered with the model she has
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:48 pm

Picked one about six yrs back on a impulse buy at wally world. $10.00 bucks. Records ten minute loops and then saves I think about ten of them before it rewrites over them. Video quality is not bad . Better than my dust/ bug marked windshield.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:20 pm

I grabbed a $20 from Walmart a few years ago to run in my work truck after it suffered two hit and runs while parked at customer's homes. It records in loops, I think I have it set for 10 minutes, 720p. It worked out really well when a tractor trailer backed into my truck while sitting in front of my hours, in a cul-de-sac...
Yoda for President

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:38 pm

I have a DOD TECH RX8W RX DOD Rearview Mirror Dash Camera in my car. I like that you don't really notice it because it looks like a rearview mirror. Haven't needed it yet, but I have gone back and reviewed footage of a suspicious vehicle once (turned out to be a neighbor's friend who had a sketchy car). I added a dash cam power source, which is just a USB port that is linked to the ignition being on. Mine doesn't run when the vehicle is off, only when the ignition is on.

I spent a bunch of time on sites like https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/ and Amazon, researching different models. Once I narrowed the list down, I started checking YouTube videos for the models I was interested in so that I could find one that took good video in both day and night. Lots of videos out there for the more popular models and it gives you a good feel for the quality of the images. After all, what's the point of buying/installing one if the video from it looks like it's from the 1980s...

gary83

Post by gary83 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:19 pm

I have a Xiaomi 70mai. The quality of the video and picture is great. It has a built-in wifi also.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:52 pm

I've been meaning to get one... It's on my list

If anyone had a good one for around $100-ish range or less, feel free to post an Amazon link for me :)
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

egghunter

Post by egghunter » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:06 pm

I do have a dashcam which I just purchased at ebay but I also want a camera at the back. Have a factory camera https://www.subarupartspros.com/sku/h001ssc700.html but not sure if there is a way I can record the videos at the back. Asking if you guys already set your backing up camera to record?

Return to “Transportation”