Surplus Growlers Hitting the Civilian Market

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14147
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Surplus Growlers Hitting the Civilian Market

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:30 am

The Growler is a lesser known tactical vehicle that was designed to be deployed with the Osprey. The USMC spent stupid amounts of money buying them. They make a good lightweight off road vehicle. Getting one street legal might be quite the uphill battle depending upon where you live. So far as I know they were crash tested. Makes a great off-road vehicle and be much better than an ATV or Gator.


https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/ITV- ... pnLink=yes
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8138
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Surplus Growlers Hitting the Civilian Market

Post by TacAir » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:21 am

Looks like a chopped M-151.

Good luck on getting spare parts. For that kind of jack, an ATV is the better long term choice.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3438
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Surplus Growlers Hitting the Civilian Market

Post by woodsghost » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:43 am

TacAir wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:21 am
Looks like a chopped M-151.

Good luck on getting spare parts. For that kind of jack, an ATV is the better long term choice.
Hey. Don't harsh my buzz.


Ummmmmm.......buzzzzzzz
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17060
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Surplus Growlers Hitting the Civilian Market

Post by raptor » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:41 pm

As an ATV at the right price this would be great. The starting bid is $5,000 and likely to go higher. That said you can get a brand new entry level ATV for $7,500.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14147
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: Surplus Growlers Hitting the Civilian Market

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:07 pm

With 145HP diesel and a curb weight over 5K pounds it is going to be bit more capable than most ATVs. It is very much like an extended Jeep. The USMC often drove them remotely and used them as pack mules to haul gear and light artillery and mortar pieces.


IDK anything about parts availability but imagine it will be tough. When I said they paid stupid amounts for them I wasn't kidding. I think the per unit cost by the end of the program life was over a $1M USD. So if you ever wanted a million dollar vehicle here is your chance.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3438
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Surplus Growlers Hitting the Civilian Market

Post by woodsghost » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:41 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:07 pm
With 145HP diesel and a curb weight over 5K pounds it is going to be bit more capable than most ATVs. It is very much like an extended Jeep. The USMC often drove them remotely and used them as pack mules to haul gear and light artillery and mortar pieces.


IDK anything about parts availability but imagine it will be tough. When I said they paid stupid amounts for them I wasn't kidding. I think the per unit cost by the end of the program life was over a $1M USD. So if you ever wanted a million dollar vehicle here is your chance.
In the words of my wife: "MY TAX DOLLARS!?!?!?!?!"
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Surplus Growlers Hitting the Civilian Market

Post by flybynight » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:01 pm

So has anyone seen how much they are actually selling for?
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14147
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: Surplus Growlers Hitting the Civilian Market

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:17 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:01 pm
So has anyone seen how much they are actually selling for?
Nope, those are the first ones offered.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17060
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Surplus Growlers Hitting the Civilian Market

Post by raptor » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:00 pm

It is an auction and the opening bid is $5000. They are in good shape and this one claims less than 500 miles.

Not a clue but using the opening bid price they are expecting x5 typically but who knows.

On another aspect $1mm for that hoopdee?! Geez you could buy and throw away a dozen jeeps and still pocket $700,000 in change.

boskone
* * * * *
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Surplus Growlers Hitting the Civilian Market

Post by boskone » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:31 pm

I kinda want one. Not enough to actually buy one (if I had $5k, I have far better uses), but I still kinda want one.
raptor wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:00 pm
It is an auction and the opening bid is $5000. They are in good shape and this one claims less than 500 miles.

Not a clue but using the opening bid price they are expecting x5 typically but who knows.

On another aspect $1mm for that hoopdee?! Geez you could buy and throw away a dozen jeeps and still pocket $700,000 in change.
They probably started cheaper per vehicle, then the gov't started ordering fewer and fewer. Seems to be a recurring theme.

Post Reply

Return to “Transportation”