Question Regarding USA

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

taipan821

Question Regarding USA

Post by taipan821 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:45 pm

Hi all

I'm in the early stages of planning a touring setup to better explore Australia. One of my dreams is to take this vehicle and explore other continents. My vehicle choice is being limited to a light commercial 4x4 truck (Iveco Daily 4x4, Isuzu, Fuso Canter). So the question is simple. how common are these trucks in America?
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019

Stercutus

Re: Question Regarding USA

Post by Stercutus » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 pm

You see a fair number of the Mitsubishi's and Isuzu's. I don't recall seeing a Daily anywhere.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:27 pm

I've never heard of Iveco at all, so I'm going to guess they're functionally unheard of here in the US.

I see enough Isuzu and Mitsubishi light duties that I wouldn't call them remarkable.

This is basically specific to Texas, though, and there's a lot of regional preferences in the US.

You should really check out the shipping and import costs and processes, though. It seems it's at least a couple grand or more each way just for shipping, and I have no idea how much regulatory overhead there might be. It might be worth it to buy something used here (or buy something and convert it yourself), then sell it once you're done. I mean, if it's $6k to import your vehicle, or $10k to buy something you can turn around and sell for at least $4k, it might be worth it just to avoid dealing with customs and whatnot. Dunno.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm mainly looking to see how common they are. If they are common vehicles, it means parts would be readily available. Not intending to buy in US, but I want to narrow down vehicle choice

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:00 pm

boskone wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:27 pm
You should really check out the shipping and import costs and processes, though. It seems it's at least a couple grand or more each way just for shipping, and I have no idea how much regulatory overhead there might be. It might be worth it to buy something used here (or buy something and convert it yourself), then sell it once you're done. I mean, if it's $6k to import your vehicle, or $10k to buy something you can turn around and sell for at least $4k, it might be worth it just to avoid dealing with customs and whatnot. Dunno.
Not to mention the extra hassle of having to drive around the U.S. with the steering wheel on the wrong side. :rofl:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:50 pm

Iveco's are very rare in the US. You are likely to see them as full sized passenger buses, if at all, nothing in the small delivery van size.

The web site Commercial Truck Trader lists almost 600 different Fuso Trucks for sale in the U.S., a few were Canters but none looked like the ones I remember from Japan.

The same one lists over 6000 Isuzu trucks.

There is a thriving grey market in Canada for my personal favorite the Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear. I'd gladly give my right testicle for one since they are mostly decorative at my age.

Rather than asking us Yanks, I suggest you search the blogs and websites of other Diggers or the POMs to see which of them have toured the Western Hemisphere in their right hand drive car.

This family drove round the world in a truck, http://www.overlandingfamily.com/ see how it is labeled in the rear,

I'm sure the opposite applies for right hand drive trucks, you are just passing through afterall.

Start here https://theworldbyroad.com/drive-around ... xpedition/
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:21 am

RickOShea wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Not to mention the extra hassle of having to drive around the U.S. with the steering wheel on the wrong side. :rofl:
No, Our steering wheel is on the right side :clap: you lot just drive on the wrong side.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:38 am

taipan821 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:21 am
RickOShea wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:00 pm

No, Our steering wheel is on the right side :clap: you lot just drive on the wrong side.
Well, if things don't work out you could probably get a job delivering the mail with it.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Bringing a vehicle even temporarily into the US can be daunting unless it it approved for sale on the US. You reallly need to do some research based upon the individual vehicle.

The cost of transport is not the only reason you do not see many foreign registered vehicles in the US.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:25 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:17 pm
Bringing a vehicle even temporarily into the US can be daunting unless it it approved for sale on the US. You reallly need to do some research based upon the individual vehicle.

The cost of transport is not the only reason you do not see many foreign registered vehicles in the US.
If it's over 20 years old he's good.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 pm

I'd say Isuzu is far more common then Mitsu Fusos, but the caveat there is that a 4x4 Isuzu is virtually non-existent while almost half the fusos I see are 4x4, so for that particular variant going Mitsubishi might be wise. If 2wd is fine then Isuzu all the way. Ivecos are sweet, but I've never actually seen one in the US.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 pm
I'd say Isuzu is far more common then Mitsu Fusos, but the caveat there is that a 4x4 Isuzu is virtually non-existent while almost half the fusos I see are 4x4, so for that particular variant going Mitsubishi might be wise. If 2wd is fine then Isuzu all the way. Ivecos are sweet, but I've never actually seen one in the US.
Fuso also is the only one that offers 'Fire Spec': no power windows, no airbags, metal trim rather than plastic. i don't know if Isuzu offers something similar.

Also, My question has been answered, thank you everyone.

Return to “Transportation”