Vehicle Headrest Storage

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

johnnyrover

Vehicle Headrest Storage

Post by johnnyrover » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:27 pm

Each person in a vehicle has a headrest, so I thought it would be interesting to building a gethome kit into each headrest.

I search google to see if someone had done it, or at the very minimum had modified a headrest to use as storage.

Anyone ever seen this done or want to give it a shot?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Vehicle Headrest Storage

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:57 pm

Some modern headrests now contain airbags so please be careful when choosing a headrest to test this idea on.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:59 am

Even if they don't have air bags they are a safety feature designed to keep your head from snapping back in event of an accident. Mostly not a good idea to put stuff there.

On my passenger seat of my duty vehicle came without a headrest and I put a 1st Aid kit their where the headrest goes (nobody sits there).
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

johnnyrover

Post by johnnyrover » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:23 am

The idea is to place a container into a similar location as a DVD screen would be, which should not affect the safety of the headrest.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:20 am

johnnyrover wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:23 am
The idea is to place a container into a similar location as a DVD screen would be, which should not affect the safety of the headrest.
That's not what you initially asked about. But in any case:

https://www.galls.com/5-11-tactical-tac ... 07EALw_wcB

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:41 am

Honestly with as many other small storage options that the majority of vehicles have, placing anything in or around the headrest seems unnecessary.

If you have a small pouch like the above posted it would be just as simple to place it under a seat, in the trunk, the glove box, etc... I don't see how having anything mounted on headrests would give any sort of advantage over a less conspicuous placement.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:59 pm

I can reach in the window of my car and yank the First Aid Kit out without having to open any compartments or even the door if the window is rolled down. This gives very fast access.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

johnnyrover

Post by johnnyrover » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:41 pm

I don't want a bunch of items hanging from the headrest, my goal is for them to blend in until needed.

I also don't want my five kids messing with them.

There are a number of manufacturers which install dvd systems into aftermarket headrests.

I am most concerned about it coming loose, so employing a zipper like this seems to be a start.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:32 pm

johnnyrover wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:41 pm

I think you are on to a good idea. Do you know if your car ever had something like those? If so you could head to a junk yard and buy some with the display removed, then substitute a flat container with your G/H kit.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:07 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:32 pm
johnnyrover wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:41 pm

I think you are on to a good idea. Do you know if your car ever had something like those? If so you could head to a junk yard and buy some with the display removed, then substitute a flat container with your G/H kit.
I agree with you that this can be a good idea, and what you suggest about finding junkyard headrests with the components removed is a great suggestion. My big concern about that is making sure that the kits or whatever he chooses to stow there is solidly attached so that it doesn't become a potentially lethal projectile in a collision.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:59 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:07 pm

I agree with you that this can be a good idea, and what you suggest about finding junkyard headrests with the components removed is a great suggestion. My big concern about that is making sure that the kits or whatever he chooses to stow there is solidly attached so that it doesn't become a potentially lethal projectile in a collision.
That's where the zippered covers come in, right? I can't see the kit unzipping itself and ejecting like a tomato from Monty Python. :rofl:

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Return to “Transportation”