New Car/SUV/Truck

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

New Car/SUV/Truck

Post by Halfapint » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Welp, it finally happened. Driving into work today, a car pulled out in front of me from a dead stop. Swerved to avoid T-boning the guy but hit a car in the other lane. What would have been 3+ car accident turned into only 2. Both me and the other guy are ok. My car is drivable with just some lower rear quarter panel damage (but will be considered totaled), the other guys car is a absolute loss.

So the new car shopping begins. I've been thinking of buying another car for a while, in fact I posted one about light duty trucks. I was going to hold out a while longer to test drive the new Ford Ranger. I was going to pop that thread back up, however I think a new thread would be best. With fuel prices going up like they have been, I'm thinking something in the car/crossover area. A buddy of mine just got a new Subaru Crosstrek, I was fully in awe of how well this thing handled on trails in the snow.

Now, what say you? What should I look into. Nothing wild and crazy, let's keep it under $35,000. I currently have an 07 Audi A4 so I'm not opposed to cars, if its a car I'd prefer all wheel drive. If an SUV/Crossover 4x4/AWD, truck 4x4.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Re: New Car/SUV/Truck

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:49 pm

So is it mainly for commuting and some camping trails? If so maybe the Volvo v60 t5 AWD model. That's like spot on at 35,000 has more ground clearance than regular sedan but at the same time not up their with a serious 4x4. It's got a nice interior and lots of space and lots of safety features. The engine power is acceptable if not underwhelming and some people don't like wagons for whatever reason.

"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:09 pm

What...... I didn't get a pic of a 4x4 Lada form Twizzler?!?!?! Actually I like wagons and hatchs. I hadn't considered a Volvo, something I may have to check out. I do a lot of camping and drive a lot on dirt roads and trails.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:37 pm

As much as I hate to disagree with Twizz, I wouldn't go Volvo.

I love Volvo. I swore I was only ever gonna buy Volvo. I test drove them. I love watching their crash tests where they aren't even phased by a 1,000 train loaded with a nuke and end up with just s scratch.

That was until I looked up their maintenance costs.... unreal. I wanna say it was like $150 for wiper blades. Plus, Volvo is committed to ditching their gas engines, making all electric fleet. I'd worry about parts getting even spendier.

Now, it's easy to spot I like ballin' on a budget... I will always vote grabbin' a 2nd Gen Escape or 1st Gen Liberty for 6 grand and thrashing it.

If I were to buy new, I'd look at the Jeep Renegade. I've driven a couple and they handle great in most conditions a crossover would need to handle. The compass is cool too but it's generic.

I'm a KIA and Hyundai fanboy so I'd check there.

But it is tough to beat a Subaru Crosstrek in this market. The safety, reliability, resale, mpg, capabilities...

I think the markups on the new Fords will make them stupid to buy unless you hit the lottery
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:33 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:37 pm
That was until I looked up their maintenance costs.... unreal. I wanna say it was like $150 for wiper blades.
LOL I know all about maintenance costs, I drove an Audi for 4 years. Wiper blades were only $80 for me, but yeah I'm really not looking for another import where MX costs out pace the car in a couple years.
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:37 pm
But it is tough to beat a Subaru Crosstrek in this market. The safety, reliability, resale, mpg, capabilities...

I think the markups on the new Fords will make them stupid to buy unless you hit the lottery
I can get some pretty good credit from Ford, my family has bought 10+ vehicles from a single Ford dealer, My mom just bought a new Mustang and got over 10k off. I agree though that the Ranger will probably be marked up something stupid and unless I got it down to something within reason I would give it a hard pass. I'm just not a Jeep guy most of them are pretty meh to me, a woman at work has a new Renegade, it's kind of growing on me. Maybe I'll talk to her about it.

Really I shouldn't care to much about fuel economy, I'm not going to be commuting soon, I'll be working from home come this fall. But I just hate filling up the 350 and having a $100+ bill.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:39 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Really I shouldn't care to much about fuel economy, I'm not going to be commuting soon, I'll be working from home come this fall. But I just hate filling up the 350 and having a $100+ bill.
Agreed. My next car purchase will not be made strictly on MPG, but all things being equal, I want to save money with gas too.

You like Mazda? I'm loving the CX3 and CX5 stuff

EDIT: If this new Bronco is what I want it to be, I'm selling kidney to finance it... You should wait for that if you got Ford people!!!
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:49 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:39 pm
My next car purchase will not be made strictly on MPG, but all things being equal, I want to save money with gas too.

You like Mazda? I'm loving the CX3 and CX5 stuff

EDIT: If this new Bronco is what I want it to be, I'm selling kidney to finance it... You should wait for that if you got Ford people!!!
Ooh, I completely forgot about Mazda! Thanks I'll look into them.

also...... yeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh Bronco.... ::drool:: If I could wait for the Bronco I'd be a damn happy man. It looks like it's going to be bad ass!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Chevy Colorado Turbo - D.. Costs 35K but gets 30MPG on the highway and runs forever. It will be cheaper in the long run. 2nd best choice would be a F150 Turbo - D. Not as good MPG but much cheaper and will likely last even longer.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:51 pm

Why not a 2019 Jeep Cherokee? Starting price for the 4x4 version is $26k and adding the 3.2L V6 only gets you to $28k. With that engine and the 9 speed auto (pretty sure it has paddle shifters for manual control) it's a fun to drive and very capable machine with decent fuel economy. A little bit closer to your $35k limit gets you a Grand Cherokee, with more room and more capability. End of year sales can probably put you in one that's nicely fitted out for within your budget.

(Full disclosure: I own a '17 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the Trailhawk configuration and I'm loving it)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:35 am

The MPG out of the crosstreks is pretty incredible for an AWD, it was the interior space that killed it for me. Even foresters feel a little small to me (spent 4 hours in the back seat of one a few weekends ago), the spare tire and suspension make the cargo deck pretty absurdly high. Cant' argue with performance though, good power/economy/capability tradeoffs.

I'd love one of the dodge 1500 diesels but last time I price checked they were $45k for the base model. The diesel colorado would be pretty tempting if it is cheaper then the dodge.
I'm also curious about the ranger, but my bet it is over budget for a good model and it won't beat the colorado on fuel economy.

The Honda Pilot seems pretty untouchable for fuel economy/size ratio, but the new ones especially seem to have poor clearance and even more of a soccer mom vibe then the first and second gens.

The Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV seem to be built a little more with interior cargo space in mind then the Subarus. Wouldn't be surprised if you trade a little off road capability for that, but both seem to do the same or better then the crosstrek on MPG and I think just about any AWD will get you to the trailhead.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:59 am

Was talking with my buddy last night and I think I may just go over my budget a little. I was looking at the new Nissan Titan with the new V8 Cummings diesel. I never thought about a full size truck with a short box, it just seems stupid to me, but it got me thinking. If I'm moving the trailer, a short box would actually be preferable. I'm also looking at trailers because I want move the tractor around so having a trailer I can do all the stuff with a trailer I could do with a long bed.

I'm going to go test drive a couple subies tomorrow (they give you a free discover pass for state parks and such), I may go and talk with Ford and see what the Ranger is going to be priced at, then go check Nissan and see.

I checked the diesels for ford (f250), chevy (2500) a ram(2500), I actually didn't realize that all 3 have their smaller trucks with diesels. I'm now going to have to look again, see this is why I come here!

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:02 am

Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee gets 30mpg and offers 7,200lbs towing.

Just saying... :mrgreen: :D

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:40 am

If you're really interested in the Ranger or the Bronco, you might consider buying an interim vehicle just to last you until they're released and you can buy what you're actually interested in. To that end, it might make sense to look at used vehicles which hold their value well, like a Toyota or Subaru, where you'll lose the least amount of value while driving one for a short period of time.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:14 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:02 am

Haha, after talking with my friend and the GF we have decided that since I wont be driving a lot we're going to probably get a truck that can tow the 5th wheel. My buddy has a 4 cylinder Cherokee, and it's very nice. I really like the interior and the styling.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:16 pm

EBuff75 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:40 am
If you're really interested in the Ranger or the Bronco, you might consider buying an interim vehicle just to last you until they're released and you can buy what you're actually interested in. To that end, it might make sense to look at used vehicles which hold their value well, like a Toyota or Subaru, where you'll lose the least amount of value while driving one for a short period of time.
You bring good points, and this is kind of where the GF and I were talking. For commuting we have a 2000 Toyota echo. I think I'm going to see if I can sell the Audi on the private market and the get a new truck, use it for towing and road trips, and drive the Echo for times I need to commute to work.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:14 pm
KJ4VOV wrote:

Haha, after talking with my friend and the GF we have decided that since I wont be driving a lot we're going to probably get a truck that can tow the 5th wheel. My buddy has a 4 cylinder Cherokee, and it's very nice. I really like the interior and the styling.
You know... Jeep is coming out with a diesel pickup next year, right? :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm a Jeep fanboy now. :crazy: :lol:

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:48 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:20 pm
Halfapint wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

Hahaha! I still want one of the old school jeep trucks. Something about them is just awesome!

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:48 pm
KJ4VOV wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:20 pm
Halfapint wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

Hahaha! I still want one of the old school jeep trucks. Something about them is just awesome!
The cabovers? Those are the Jeep Forward Control models and yeah, they're badass.

Mrselfdestruct

Post by Mrselfdestruct » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:40 am

KJ4VOV wrote:

I test drove one when they first came out, with 3l turbodiesel, torque is fun. Trip computer estimated 27mpg driving like i stole it around town.
If you need a cheap interim crossover, i f'n love my Element. Not a 4wd, but lots of clearance, good mileage, and dead nuts reliable. 319,000 on it now, and i had to put a starter in it around at 260k. Thats it.
They're easy to find cheap, because they're ugly.
Probably get a good one and sell it when youre ready for the same money.
"In the absence of orders, go find something, and kill it." -Rommel

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:00 pm

I wanted to like the new Titans.

2 bad personal experiences make me hate them that has nothing to do with anything.

1. Listening to the head designer on a video talk about his inspiration for the truck. It was annoying.

2. A tiny little pathetic man who drove a lifted yellow Cummins model was taunting a kid at a gas station for asking him about the truck (mighty mite man was with a group of friends and trying to be cool and made fun of a 16 year old who was admiring his banana big bird mobile). I was about 3 seconds away from ripping him limb from limb but assault charges aren't worth it.

Therefore, I can not support a Titan. I know my opinion and experiences will weigh heavy on your heart...

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:52 pm

After talking with the GF we both settled on a truck. Drove all the diesels on the market; Nissan, Ram, Ford, and Chevy. Went into it knowing that I have a bias in favor of Ford.

The Nissan was nice but no one knew anything about it, they couldn't answer basic questions. The guy was in the back googling everything that I was asking giving me info straight from the website. I over all really liked the Nissan we drove the top of the line trim which had everything, the engine seemed to be pretty good, the transmission was smooth, it was a really enjoyable drive. (this is now out because of Jeepercreeper's personal hate towards them)

Next was Ram, drove a 2500 it was nice, but it was just meh. The only thing I liked about it was ride, I feel it rode the best of them all.

Ford (I wanted to do them last but it was next in the line so meh) drove the 250, the guy who was on the drive with us was knowledgeable, if he didn't know he said I'm not sure lets find out when we get back, took notes and followed up with every question I asked and got me real info. The biggest thing I didn't like was the fact that there's no leather option for a leather steering wheel, other than that the 6.7l had the best giddy up when you mash the gas it pushes you back. The ford had a hidaway gun spot that the sales guy was very proud of, I don't know if it locked or not but it was a hidden compartment that was pretty cool. The GF loved this one the most.

Last was Chevy, after getting stood up by the guy we were told to ask for, another associate came and helped us. I wanted to drive the 2500 but all of them were the top of the line z71 or some other package which cost 10k+ more than every other truck we looked at. we finally got into a 3500 because it had the basic trim, it was a nice ride, but the engine felt absolutely gutless. Going up a hill I noticed I had to really get on the gas for it to accelerate. The Chevy actually came with 2 lock boxes for guns. Yep, you read that right, the have a hideaway under the seat with a lock on it, and the other was one of the 2 glove boxes that locked. The gf LOOOOOOVED that not just for guns but for anything you want to lock up if you leave the car.

Over all I think I'm going to end up with another Ford. I told them about the issues I've had with the 350 and they said that year was one of the worst ones and that it should have been recalled. The dealer we are talking to actually warranties the entire power train for life. There are 4 bullet points of care on our end which is basic routine maintenance and one of them is already covered by them. Free oil changes for life. They also have free 24hr towing anywhere in the country if you break down. I may go back and talk with a different Nissan dealer because I really liked the Nissan but I'm just afraid the 5.0l is just not powerful enough. The Nissan has 555tq and the Ford has 935tq..... We're talking nearly double the torque.
Last edited by Halfapint on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:53 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:00 pm
Therefore, I can not support a Titan. I know my opinion and experiences will weigh heavy on your heart...
There it is, the reason I will never own a Titan! Thanks for making the decision easier!

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:50 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:00 pm
I wanted to like the new Titans.

2 bad personal experiences make me hate them that has nothing to do with anything.

1. Listening to the head designer on a video talk about his inspiration for the truck. It was annoying.

2. A tiny little pathetic man who drove a lifted yellow Cummins model was taunting a kid at a gas station for asking him about the truck (mighty mite man was with a group of friends and trying to be cool and made fun of a 16 year old who was admiring his banana big bird mobile). I was about 3 seconds away from ripping him limb from limb but assault charges aren't worth it.

Those things really should come with a Get Well card for the new owner's penis in the glove box.

Return to “Transportation”