Truck Cap

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Truck Cap

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:59 am

I have one of them truck thingy mabobs and I reckon I wanna put a little hat on her.

The truck in question: '11 F350, crew cab long bed 6.2

I dont utilize the bed in a way they were designed..nor do I use/own a 5th wheel. So, Im looking to get a truck cap put on. Money no real issue here. It will be used for more than its worth. I plan on doing more camping and whether I sleep in it or have a very large storage compartment, itd make life easier.

I have been looking at A.R.Es. I know LEER is another big name but havent gotten around to them yet. Beeen liking what I see, even if itll make me cringe when I buy it. Would like ventilated side windows, possibly the full door in back...but not sold on it yet. No toolbox type setup either.

So...I come to you experts, as others have been lacking (if youve seen my posts on another forum). So, if you have any input, I would greatly appreciate it. And in case I dont see ya...good afternoon, good evening and good night!
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Re: Truck Cap

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:34 am

Not an expert. I have had 3 trucks and put caps on all of them. The 1980 GMC had a full bed and could sleep 4 drunk rugby players in a pinch. With a Chilton's Manual I could climb under the hood of that truck and appear as if I were a mechanic. I miss those days.

My current truck is a Chevy purchased new in 2005. Soon after the purchase, I went to a shop called Truckin' Thunder (I believe) and had an A.R.E. cap put on the back. I liked it because it had two rails to carry boats, and the color matched. I added a third rail from a major manufacturer (Yakima) on top of the cabin to better facilitate carrying boats. I have stacked it with gear and carried 2 full sized canoes and 2 kayaks on top through some ingenious loading and straps. It has been heavily mudded and crossed waterways. The rear window closes on the tailgate and locks nicely with a key. The window on each side has screens and half of it slides to the open position to create ventilation. The windows also lock firmly. The plastic, pull-down clothes hangar near the back still works perfectly as does the light, and switch for said light. There has never been a leak other than those caused by me for leaving the windows open during a downpour of rain. It regularly carries a spinning and fly rod, a climbing tree stand and pelican cases for long guns or bow. Up near the cab sits a disgusting bag of garbage that creatively suggests "stay away from this funk" while hiding the real bag that I would grab if I were to suddenly be walking. It was worth what I paid for it certainly, although I do not remember how much. I do remember that the shop took off $100 and installed it for free because I was a veteran.

The 13th anniversary was President's Day. 200K miles. I have never removed it. I am fully satisfied and would purchase again.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:35 pm

I've had a couple and prefer the ones that are taller than the cab because they are easier to move around inside.
I bought a roof rack from an SUV that matched my truck and bolted it to the top of the cap, just drilled through and sealed it good.
I bought a couple dome lights from the suvs and vans that matched my truck and wired those in parallel with the cargo light on the back of the cab so I could light up the inside.
I also added extra reverse lights at the back of the roof rails pointing downward. If you do get the side windows that open you can get wire rack shelving and mount it to the top of the bedrail over the fenders. Turn it upside down to the L shape is pointing up then you can put things on those shelves right inside the window. The wire shelving lets you bungee cord everything down easily.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:17 pm

I dont utilize the bed in a way they were designed..nor do I use/own a 5th wheel.
How will you utilize then?
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

w3rdtoyamama

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Stercutus wrote:
I dont utilize the bed in a way they were designed..nor do I use/own a 5th wheel.
How will you utilize then?
Sleeping quarters or additional storage while camping. Possibly getting BedRug installed.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:17 pm

I would definitely get a full size camper shell then. If the truck is old it will likely cost more than the truck. Eagle Cap is another maker. Campers are way over priced (IMO) new. Your best bet is to hit Craig's list in the early winter after racing/ hunting/camping season, say January.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:46 pm

Misinterpreted. OK. Camper truck.
Nope. \\ Can't help.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

w3rdtoyamama

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:25 pm

Stercutus wrote:I would definitely get a full size camper shell then. If the truck is old it will likely cost more than the truck. Eagle Cap is another maker. Campers are way over priced (IMO) new. Your best bet is to hit Craig's list in the early winter after racing/ hunting/camping season, say January.
Its a 2011

Return to “Transportation”