High quality float charger?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

uncleben03

High quality float charger?

Post by uncleben03 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:44 pm

I need to get a float charger or 3 for a couple vehicles that don't get driven much, and my riding mower. You can get them as cheaply as 8 bucks and as expensive as $150. My 2 Jeeps (89 Comanche and 05 Wrangler Unlimited) don't get driven much because I have a company vehicle that I drive every day to and from work, and 24/7 for 1 week out of every 4 when I'm on call. The Jeeps sometimes sit long enough without being driven that it leaves the batteries in questionable shape.

I'd like to get some float chargers for them, but I'm having trouble deciphering how much is too little, and how much is too much to spend on them. Definitely looking for long-lasting quality, I don't want to have to replace them every year due to low quality.
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: High quality float charger?

Post by raptor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:25 pm

I buy cheap ones for my equipment they cost between $15 and $20. I have yet to have one wear out. The mice will chew the wires or moisture will get to them first.
Still they last a while.

YMMV.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:20 pm

The Deltran Battery Tender Jr. has a great reputation. It also comes with an auxiliary wiring harness so you can change your battery without having to get at the terminals with alligator chips. I use it on my motorcycle but there's no reason why you couldn't run that auxiliary harness out your front grill. I guess one advantage of this over a dedicated float charger is the Battery Tender Jr. will actually charge a drained 12v battery (albeit slowly). It then automatically switches to a maintenance (float) charge.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-02 ... NS72N6TAJ8

Then again you can get a dedicated float charger from Harbor Freight for $9. If they're comparable to the cheap ones Raptor uses, maybe that's a better direction to take. The mice don't care who made the wires or how much you paid for them. :?

synergyperf

Post by synergyperf » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:32 pm

The CTEK chargers are the same thing that are (or were) supplied with new Corvettes. That's what I'll be wiring into my vehicles when I get to that point of my modifications. (not because they came with Corvettes, but because they are good enough that a major manufacturer decided they were quality enough to put their name/logo on them as well).

Return to “Transportation”