Survival Moped!

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MasterMaker

Survival Moped!

Post by MasterMaker » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:12 pm

Don't know if this has been posted previously but I just had to share it...
http://www.motomucci.com/2014/07/daily- ... -bike.html
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

Spectrum
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z, 28 Days Later, and of course, Zombieland.

Re: Survival Moped!

Post by Spectrum » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:07 pm

That's pretty sweet actually. IMHO, it doesn't look very "rugged", and it looks uncomfortable to ride for long distances. My RSV4 is not very comfortable after about 50-60 miles; I imagine this would be worse. Although, you never know until you sit on it.
Chive On

"If death causes you no pain when you're dead, it is foolish to allow the fear of it to cause you pain now"

- Epicurus

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:53 pm

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=113629 Not that I'd know how you'd search for that; the previous poster spelled it "motoped".

Re: comfort. I imagine you spend a lot of time out of the saddle riding this, especially on technical terrain. But there is a serious design flaw with the seating position. I'm seeing no more than maybe 1" adjustability there (if that) and that puts the saddle far too low for effective pedalling.

Truthfully, a pistol caliber carbine would be a much better choice than a crossbow. And I'd trade in the tomahawk and "tactical harpoon" for a Gerber/Fiskars camp hatchet and a good machete. I suppose while I'm quibbling, I'd spec a Sven or Bahco Laplander over the fixed blade saw.

Those OD Rotopax gas containers are awesome though.

I do love this concept. I'd like to see some performance specs on this puppy. HP, mileage/range, top speed/cruising speed, carrying capacity, etc. Oh yeah: retail price sans all the ninja warrior accessories.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:10 pm

I wish we had something comparable the little "mopeds" [motorcycles, not actual mopeds] everyone rides in Asian rural areas. Chinese, mostly, about 125cc, street legal-ish but generally with tires an suspension to handle dirt, hardpan, and sandy ASRs without too much trouble. Luggage rack, top speed maybe forty-five or so. About the peak of utilitarian in a small package. the closest thing we get here are small dirtbikes, but they're not street legal and tend to be tuned for "Wheee" and not for knocking out thirty or forty km rides on uncivilized roads without killing the rider.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:54 pm

Rooism and Mastermaker got me curious, so I did some digging. Here are two versions (49cc and 125cc) that you can actually buy:

https://motoped.com/pro/#

Although at those prices, I'd probably just buy a used KLX250 or CFR250 and call it a day the end of the world.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I wish we had something comparable the little "mopeds" [motorcycles, not actual mopeds] everyone rides in Asian rural areas. Chinese, mostly, about 125cc, street legal-ish but generally with tires an suspension to handle dirt, hardpan, and sandy ASRs without too much trouble. Luggage rack, top speed maybe forty-five or so. About the peak of utilitarian in a small package.
Indeed.

Holger Danske
Favorite Zombie Movies: Charlottes Web

Post by Holger Danske » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I wish we had something comparable the little "mopeds" [motorcycles, not actual mopeds] everyone rides in Asian rural areas. Chinese, mostly, about 125cc, street legal-ish but generally with tires an suspension to handle dirt, hardpan, and sandy ASRs without too much trouble. Luggage rack, top speed maybe forty-five or so. About the peak of utilitarian in a small package. the closest thing we get here are small dirtbikes, but they're not street legal and tend to be tuned for "Wheee" and not for knocking out thirty or forty km rides on uncivilized roads without killing the rider.

Then check out the 2015 Honda 125 "Grom"..... http://powersports.honda.com/2015/grom.aspx

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:39 pm

I've thought about the scooters used in Thailand. They sip fuel and manage to go almost anywhere. With a few tweaks (different tire tread, mostly) they'd be great if you needed to leave a congested urban area.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:53 pm

Holger Danske wrote: Then check out the 2015 Honda 125 "Grom"..... http://powersports.honda.com/2015/grom.aspx
They have(or some version of it) been out at least since 2014 and possibly the year before that and I am having serious plans about buying one of those(as a weird coincidence I actually drove past/saw one in town today(first time I have ever seen one on the road)), if memory serves they use something like 0.15-0.2 liters pr. 10 km.
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:22 pm

I've been looking at the Motopeds and similar designs for some time now. Not as a primary vehicle, but in a backup/scout type of role.

The problem with the motopeds, motrized bikes, etc. is power. To use the Motoped as the example:

Weighs 132lbs unloaded. Add fuel, my 200lb ass, and gear (say 30lbs)

Total weight: around 364lbs being moved by 2hp/1.7ftlbs. You'll be lucky to get over a speed bump, forget about anything resembling a 'hill'.

If you go with the 125cc model, it's not much better.

This led me to 125cc - 250cc dirt bikes, heavier, but much more robust construction and power. But not street legal, which may or may not be an issue for you.

This led me to a 2003 TW200, which I bought. Heavy at 278lbs wet, but tough as nails and at around 15hp enough to move me and gear with authority. Just not a lot of authority :lol:

The downside is they top out at around 50mph or so. While I'm not looking for outright speed as much as capability, if I can be run down quickly by a dumptruck I'm a little concerned.

I found a fairly steep hill and loaded up and felt it work hard (and slow down) getting me up it.

So, still feeling like I was not quite there, I went back into research mode.

I ended up with 2004 WR450. Lighter than the TW200, over 4x the HP and much more capable suspension, still street legal.

The upside is that it also can be set up long distance adventure/expedition riding as well. Which dovetails nicely with the needs of us preppers.

I'm going over it now and will post up pic's/mods/reviews when done.
WWSD?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:45 pm

How did the TW200 hold up "around town" sort of stuff?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:57 pm

While interesting, if I were opting for a powered bike I think I would go for an E bike rather than internal combustion. A lot quieter, so as not to alert the zombies.

http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/ste ... 52-bomber/

BTW the motoped can be bought without the "survival" gear https://motoped.com/survival/ and you can outift it as you wish. Still costs between $3,199.00–$3,699.00 depending on the size of the motor.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:16 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:How did the TW200 hold up "around town" sort of stuff?
Actually, its perfect around town. Low seat height, I haven't been on a bike in decades so I'm learning on it. (The WR450 still scares the shit out of me, and I use to race cars).

Fat tires roll over curbs nicely :awesome: Great gas mileage from what I can tell, haven't actually had to refill tank yet. Perfect bike for people who are not hardcore bike guys (me). My Land Cruiser gets shitty mileage, so great for short trips running errands. Add a couple bags to it and your good to go.

Keep off highway and your fine.
WWSD?

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:33 pm

ineffableone wrote:While interesting, if I were opting for a powered bike I think I would go for an E bike rather than internal combustion. A lot quieter, so as not to alert the zombies.

http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/ste ... 52-bomber/

BTW the motoped can be bought without the "survival" gear https://motoped.com/survival/ and you can outift it as you wish. Still costs between $3,199.00–$3,699.00 depending on the size of the motor.
I looked at those-very nice vid, but the dirt bikes would have run her down in about 60 secs. I like how the battery went dead and she pedaled it- How do you think her speed was then? pedaling a 116lb bike? Hope there were no zombies at the top of a hill. She would have been late for dinner-get it? she would be slow, so late when they got her....oh never mind. :lol:

Range of 50 miles? for 10K? no freaking way.

You want electric? you want this:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/?gclid=C ... aQodCyQF0Q

These I seriously considered. But I thought I'd start simpler first.

I've got just a little over 2K in the WR450, I'll strip some weight off and then add bigger tank, etc. I'll have well over 200miles range in the tank and be able to carry extra fuel if needed to extend that. Fits on the back of the LC and can share fuel.
WWSD?

Return to “Transportation”