What do you think? what should I do ?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead

What do you think? what should I do ?

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:36 pm

I have an old 84 3/4 ton ford 4X4, it runs ok, the interior is gone, literally! I got stupid and was not paying attention to what i was doing and hot slag landed on the seat , well POOF there goes my interior!!! Anyway !!
I am thinking of putting a van body on the frame, or possibly doing a truggy .

Give me your views on the pros and cons of each build. keeping in mind , I own another 4X4 3/4 ton, and a jeep grand cherokee .
Im wanting something fun , street legal ( maybe havent decided that one yet) , able to carry at least 4 people, and look badass!!!

JesterODX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gotta be Dawn of the Dead or Shawn of the Dead. But I will opt for anything Romero.

Re: What do you think? what should I do ?

Post by JesterODX » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:57 am

The possibilities are endless. This is exactly the kind of vehicle we look for to build our paintball assault vehicles because you can do any thing with them. You can get extreme like the trugg you were thinking about doing.

I actually like the van body ideal. I've always liked the 4x4 slightly raised vans. I'd go van over truggy, if its gonna be a BOV. You'll have plenty of space for people and gear. It wont stand out quiet as much. And its still gonna be able to go off road just fine. Mount some gas cans on the back, build a roof rack and you could toss a couple spare tires up there or other stuff. Throw a couple spot lights on there.

What I'd do with it, as I dont have the money to get too insane with it, would basicly be building a box on the bed and using it like I would a van. Set up a bench/bed in the back, and a work table on one side...
JesterODX
"The Great and Powerful"

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:16 am

JesterODX wrote:The possibilities are endless. This is exactly the kind of vehicle we look for to build our paintball assault vehicles because you can do any thing with them. You can get extreme like the trugg you were thinking about doing.
I know thats why I cant make up my mind what to do with it.

I actually like the van body ideal. I've always liked the 4x4 slightly raised vans. I'd go van over truggy, if its gonna be a BOV. You'll have plenty of space for people and gear. It wont stand out quiet as much. And its still gonna be able to go off road just fine. Mount some gas cans on the back, build a roof rack and you could toss a couple spare tires up there or other stuff. Throw a couple spot lights on there.

What I'd do with it, as I dont have the money to get too insane with it, would basicly be building a box on the bed and using it like I would a van. Set up a bench/bed in the back, and a work table on one side...
Its really going to be more of a play toy than anything, the jeep is my BOV, and i have a work truck, now I need a toy!

JesterODX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gotta be Dawn of the Dead or Shawn of the Dead. But I will opt for anything Romero.

Post by JesterODX » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:29 am

alpha_texas1969 wrote: Its really going to be more of a play toy than anything, the jeep is my BOV, and i have a work truck, now I need a toy!
If its gonna be a play toy, and you got the money to do what you want to do with it, then do it to it! Rock crawler the hell out of it.
JesterODX
"The Great and Powerful"

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:59 am

been tossing around the idea of the urban gorilla body!! but cost is an issue to a point, if I truggy I have a lot of material available free for the build, an old used van non running, I can pick up for under 500.00 , but these gorilla bodies are 7000.00.
Wonder how hard it would be to fabricate a basic hummer shape around a tube frame? damn see what I mean so many possibilities LOL !

88sport
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by 88sport » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Has the truck got the 6.9 or some gas engine? I would totally do like a M1010 ambulance style thing cause that would give you the maximum utility and be able to do whatever you wanted for seating options.
landser wrote:I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.
only here...

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:49 pm

88sport wrote:Has the truck got the 6.9 or some gas engine? I would totally do like a M1010 ambulance style thing cause that would give you the maximum utility and be able to do whatever you wanted for seating options.
It has the 351w, I haven't thought about that style of make over. I will have to look at that .

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:51 pm

I really like this ...

JesterODX

Post by JesterODX » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:08 am

Now that is the shit right there. That is flipping sweet.
JesterODX
"The Great and Powerful"

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:49 am

JesterODX wrote:Now that is the shit right there. That is flipping sweet.
thats what i was thinking too!!

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:51 am

And it looks like simple bends and pretty much all flat sides, no fancy angels or bends. Now all i need is 4 door truck floor pan!!!

88sport

Post by 88sport » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:48 pm

alpha_texas1969 wrote:
88sport wrote:Has the truck got the 6.9 or some gas engine? I would totally do like a M1010 ambulance style thing cause that would give you the maximum utility and be able to do whatever you wanted for seating options.
It has the 351w, I haven't thought about that style of make over. I will have to look at that .
The 351 is a good motor. To do the m1010 style thing would really be as simple as buying a surplus comms shelter that was made to go in the back of the pickup trucks ( can't remember the number right now) and bolting it through the bed or if you prefer to take off the bed and bolt it straight to the frame.
landser wrote:I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.
only here...

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:27 pm

88sport wrote:
alpha_texas1969 wrote:
The 351 is a good motor. To do the m1010 style thing would really be as simple as buying a surplus comms shelter that was made to go in the back of the pickup trucks ( can't remember the number right now) and bolting it through the bed or if you prefer to take off the bed and bolt it straight to the frame.
I was looking at the m1010 Idea there is thread on this forum that has some good info, It looks like a good setup but doesn't have the cool factor for a play toy i'm looking for

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Had an idea on my ride home from work today.Get a truck bed camper and bolt to the floor of the bed u have now. Then in the outside area where the normal truck bed would be bolt in some toolboxes to give it a utility body look. Its a camper with extra storage u can get to on the outside. Do a little metal work to make it look more then some locking tool boxes and a camper.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

88sport

Post by 88sport » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:12 pm

But that would really just be a work/ recovery rig then. Hmm, you know there's a guy over on Expo that took an 04 ram RCSB and dovetailed it, brought the gas tank above the bed, caged it (can't remember if it was Exo or int.) and did some long travel suspension and it was a pretty fun little rig that he had going on there. My search fu is weak and maybe yours will yield results for the thread.

*edit* Found the thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... tion-build" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
only here...

Return to “Transportation”